Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Barca forum also thinks they're trying to force him out.
They obviously are due to the salary. But if that problem went away then?

See Dembele for reference, who is about to renew on massively reduced wages.

Still think De Jong leaves and joins United. But if he decided to take a wage cut and signed a new deal I think they would keep him.

Esquire

For all the rhetoric about improved structuring, strategy etc., looks like we simply don’t have any plan B to Frankie…

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget

Still think De Jong leaves and joins United. But if he decided to take a wage cut and signed a new deal I think they would keep him.
A lot of them are saying Xavi doesn't rate him and was always the first player to get subbed off, something which Frenkie was frustrated with.

Mmm-Qatarian

Of course I'm biased but De Jong and by extension his agent are complete mugs if they accept this pay cut from Barca. I understand that they are his dream club but they seemingly owe him an enormous sum of money in deferred wages and are now feeding stories to the press to paint him as the villain in the case that he decides to refuse a 40% pay cut. How anyone could still want to work for an organisation that tried that is beyond me.

croadyman

This isn’t the saga that’s dragged the longest by a long way yet (though it’s heading that way)

But has a saga ever been caught on “fee agreed” for so long? That was reported last Monday…
Yeah I certainly can't recall one

Cassidy

Of course I'm biased but De Jong and by extension his agent are complete mugs if they accept this pay cut from Barca. I understand that they are his dream club but they seemingly owe him an enormous sum of money in deferred wages and are now feeding stories to the press to paint him as the villain in the case that he decides to refuse a 40% pay cut. How anyone could still want to work for an organisation that tried that is beyond me.
Don’t really disagree. However the contract he was renewed on is insane

Kassadin

Seems to me Frenkie likes his cash more than he likes Barcelona. Smart man.

We just need Barca to find a few more levers lying around that they can activate.

Berbaclass

Lets just hope Ali D remembers how well we've treated him and his clients in recent years :drool:

Oh and also how we pay players what we fecking agreed to pay them :wenger:

Esquire

If you read that Marca article posted somewhere here, that paycut would be pretty severe. It’s like asking him to forego all the back pay he is owed from the pandemic cuts he agreed to and also knocking off a few mil off his packet per annum. Not sure how any player who is sought after and coming into his prime would agree to that.

Cassidy

If you read that Marca article posted somewhere here, that paycut would be pretty severe. It’s like asking him to forego all the back pay he is owed from the pandemic cuts he agreed to and also knocking off a few mil off his packet per annum. Not sure how any player who is sought after and coming into his prime would agree to that.
Not suggesting he would agree to it

Berbaclass

Also you can't really imagine his agency/representatives being keen on that idea either, sepecially when Manchester United are waiting and ready to make him the main man in the new project.

He’s not renegotiating though is he and he hasn’t deferred his wages for two years, he’s simply a guy who’s had way too many injuries the last few years in any club to gamble on a massive contract for him and he’s a guy who’s out of contract.

LoneStar

So they are refusing to pay his wages? I don't get it. Why do so many good players want to play for this club? It's a joke these days. You are not even assured of your salary.

Berbaclass

He’s not renegotiating though is he and he hasn’t deferred his wages for two years, he’s simply a guy who’s had way too many injuries the last few years in any club to gamble on a massive contract for him and he’s a guy who’s out of contract.
Exactly, he had absolutely no leverage in this negotiation.

Berbaclass

From Melissa Reddy's small piece:

"The club have a basic agreement in place with Frenkie de Jong but that has been complicated by Barcelona's financial situation.

"They've had to hang tight with announcing some of their deals. They have a lot of outstanding business such as signing Robert Lewandowski. The structure of the deal is another issue, but the player's preference is to remain in Barcelona while they would like to sell him to ease their financial burden.

Cassidy

Not relevant to the point that the club would go for it. I didnt say De Jong would

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Yeah and he fecks over the club, the fans etc, putting it's future into doubt because he won't leave and won't accept a pay cut that could potentially save the club from financial crisis. Answer this honestly...would you take that approach if you played for United? If they said "we want you to stay but we simply can't afford your wages. Will you take a pay cut along with the other players? If you don't then we'd unfortunately have to sell or else we risk severe financial consequence".

You're giving me the :houllier: but you struggle to understand a simple point. I'm not saying it will be the case, but if it's true that they will keep him if he takes a pay cut then I guarantee he will consider it. Why stay at a club you apparently love and dreamt of playing for if you financially ruin the club and everybody, including the supporters, hates you because of this.
Nobody would and that is absolutely bonkers logic. Loving a club doesn't mean allowing the club to treat you as a doormat.

Exactly, he had absolutely no leverage in this negotiation.
Well he has leverage in that he could leave obviously, but I don’t think he’s in the position FDJ is just due to the ridiculous amount of injuries he suffered since being in Barcelona. I don’t think anyone is offering him anything close to what his previous contract was due to those injuries. He’d be facing a severe pay cut wherever he signs on the dotted line.
Then you also have to factor in that Barça honoured his contract for the entire duration of it .

LordSpud

I have to say I feel really sorry for Frenkie. Imagine you train all your life to be a footballer with the dream of playing for Barcelona - you put in the graft and eventually get there. Then when you get there they dont play you in your desired position. On top of that 2 years in they start deferring your pay until a year or so later. Then when the time comes they try asking you to take a massive pay cut in order to stay at that club. What an absolute shitshow and effectively a dream killer.

The boy just needs a club to love him and sing songs about him. Anyone know of one?

Berbaclass

It's easy to talk when it's not your money at stake.
Frenkie took a pay cut/deferred his salary because the club needed it. Now when it's time to pay the agreed, they want to sell him.
Your company tells you they're struggling financially this year and they have to reduce your salary, but no worries, you'll get it back in 12 months. 11 months later they ask you to reduce you salary or you're fired. I'm sure you'd be happy.

Well it’s absolute miles worse than that.
The company wouldn’t only have fecked you over by deferring your wages and then when it comes time to pay you, making an attempt to not pay you those wages back and asking you to now take a pay cut; the cnuts are actively employing new people on huge salaries whilst asking you to make another sacrifice.

Berbaclass

Well it’s absolute miles worse than that.
The company wouldn’t only have fecked you over by deferring your wages and then when it comes time to pay you, making an attempt to not pay you those wages back and asking you to now take a pay cut; the cnuts are actively employing new people on huge salaries whilst asking you to make another sacrifice.
True.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
The problem with deferring wages is that if Barca becomes insolvent/bankrupt then banks and vendors have the first right over any cash from asset sales. The players will be left with whatever little is remaining. I can see the following scenario play out if Barca go insolvent:
  1. Spanish/Catalonia government tries to help Barca but European courts call it unfair state sponsored help. Thanks to Tebas' attacks, City/PSG will be more than happy to sue if direct government involvement takes place.
  2. There won't be a rapid fire sale of assets (players) as this would make Barca unattractive. Instead Barca will try to follow a German model of part fan ownership. Most buyers who will be interested will be corporations/big business, as wealthy individuals would prefer full control, unlike corporations who'd be more focused on their ability to market products.
  3. Either ways the new owners will demand zero responsibility for any previous liabilities (including deferred player wages). I can see numerous lawsuits from players/clubs/vendors challenging the fair value/acquisition cost of Barca. If the acquisition cost is too low, players may not get all their deferred wages and clubs owed transfer money may not get all their transfer fees from the stake sale.
  4. The divestment process will keep dragging on because of this. Barca keeps getting less valuable and post-acquisition I can see them as a Europa-level team for a few years.
If I was a young player entering my prime and yet to earn a lot of money, I'd avoid Barca till they were fully sorted.

Pronewbie

Peep
We need to set an ultimatum and walk away from this deal by the end of the week. That'll set a marker for future deals. All this wrangling is none of our business and we've been burnt and used too often as a bargaining chip.

Telsim

I hope we never have to deal with this unmitigated disaster of a club again. They are literally trying to scam a player out of money they contractually agreed to pay him, even resorting to leaking the financial aspects of his contract. Dear God, have some pride and pay up, absolutely pathetic club.

Status
Not open for further replies.