Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

suhaylah

FDJ is just forcing Barca to pay him his money, by stating that he wants to stay..
Once Barcelona pays him his money , he'll go. I believe it's just a matter of time before he comes to United.

mctrials23

There is one thing that has been an ever constant in this De Jong deal, that is that De Jong does not want to leave Barca and wants to stay.

No one has ever questioned that. Which means he is desperate to stay, they owe him money, they treated him badly, yet he is gagging to stay.

So Barca are in a position of power, knowing he only wants to stay. He has taken pay cuts before, no reason why he wouldn't again.
Thats not quite true is it. He isn't desperate to stay. He would rather stay at Barca but he is happy to move. If that wasn't the case we wouldn't still be here talking about it. He isn't "gagging to stay" and Barca have little to no power as they contractually owe him a lot of money. He also didn't take a pay cut, he deferred his wages. Thats entirely different. Especially considering Barca are now splashing the cash on more players.

I would love to hear your logic on why he would accept a pay cut to stay at Barca when there is zero reason for him to do so. They can't force him out. They have about 5% of the power in this dynamic and I think I might be being generous there.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I believe there will be an unprecedented meltdown on here when we’re starting McFred in our first 3 games and desperately having £60m bids for Ruben Neves turned down on deadline day.

captaincantona

No. They can't force him out. Its as simple as that. They have a contract and he can no more walk away from it than Barca can unless both parties agreed. You cannot force the sale of a player unless you are willing to buy out the remainder of their contract as far as I understand it.

The advantage FdJ possesses by saying "I'm not leaving" is that Barca then have to persuade him to leave. The only way they are likely to do that is to financially incentivise him. They can do that by paying him the deferred wages that he would recoup by staying at Barca for the next few years. They obviously don't want to do that.
As I wrote in the other thread. Still does not mean that saying “I don’t want to leave” is a good move on Frenkies part if he is truly considering my leaving. All it does is create issues for the buying club, for the fans who put pressure on the club to move on to another target, on himself trying to convince his new fans and team mates he actually wants to play for his new club. He loses nothing by saying - I get you don’t need me anymore…so pay me off and I’ll go somewhere in wanted!

it makes me think he is considering a Gareth Bale move, knowing that Xavi will have to play him if results are not up to scratch.

gajender

There is one thing that has been an ever constant in this De Jong deal, that is that De Jong does not want to leave Barca and wants to stay.

No one has ever questioned that. Which means he is desperate to stay, they owe him money, they treated him badly, yet he is gagging to stay.

So Barca are in a position of power, knowing he only wants to stay. He has taken pay cuts before, no reason why he wouldn't again.
He deferred his pay not a pay cut which he is entitled to receive and De Jong love for Barca didn't stop him from extracting bigger contract from them using PSG interest as leverage when he moved from Ajax .
And De Jong isn't somebody at the end of his career who has already amassed a fortune he basically got his full salary probably only for a year from Barca before COVID hit and since then is getting reduced pay with the promise of rest later and now some people are expecting him to forgo his deferred pay as well as take a massive pay cut on wages yeah good luck with that .

Dempsey19

He isn’t asking to leave though. Barca are asking him to go so surely the loyalty bonus still stands?
Yeah but post I quoted is asking is there some advantage to FDJ saying that he doesn't want to leave.

I said yes so that he doesn't lose his loyalty bonus.

Castia

Barce fly to the US on Friday….is it safe to say that the deal is off if he’s on that plane?

There must come a point where we identify different targets

romufc

Thats not quite true is it. He isn't desperate to stay. He would rather stay at Barca but he is happy to move. If that wasn't the case we wouldn't still be here talking about it. He isn't "gagging to stay" and Barca have little to no power as they contractually owe him a lot of money. He also didn't take a pay cut, he deferred his wages. Thats entirely different. Especially considering Barca are now splashing the cash on more players.

I would love to hear your logic on why he would accept a pay cut to stay at Barca when there is zero reason for him to do so. They can't force him out. They have about 5% of the power in this dynamic and I think I might be being generous there.
Every report from the start, go back and check has said he wants to stay at Barca.

If Barca knock on his door and say, to stay, these are the conditions, he will accept.

Why? 1. He is owed money, so he isn't leaving
2. He doesnt want to leave.

cyberman

Yeah but post I quoted is asking is there some advantage to FDJ saying that he doesn't want to leave.

I said yes so that he doesn't lose his loyalty bonus.
But refusing to leave doesn’t back up a loyalty bonus, he can leave because Barca told him to and he would still receive the money?

tbtt

WUM

I doubt he's desperate to stay at this moment. He seems to strictly follow legal advice, only repeating "I don't want to leave, I don't want pay reduction". No interviews, no SNS, etc. His discipline is quite impressive.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I believe there will be an unprecedented meltdown on here when we’re starting McFred in our first 3 games and desperately having £60m bids for Ruben Neves turned down on deadline day.
I mean Neves wouldn’t be an awful alternative.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Barce fly to the US on Friday….is it safe to say that the deal is off if he’s on that plane?
I doubt it. The key day is the 30th of July when Barca management has to hand over to La Liga their financial plans for next season.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
I’m not a legal expert by any means but is there some sort of advantage that FDJ possesses by adopting the ‘I don’t want to leave‘ position? Could he end up potentially taking legal action against Barcelona for some kind of constructive dismissal if he makes it look like he was forced out?

So therefore the FDJ stance is ‘Pay me or get sued’?
no. There is nothing to sue. He agreed with Barca on the deferrals and the terms of this re-negotiation of his contract.
Umtiti also agreed to deferred wages, but part of the new agreement is, that Barca has to pay him out if he gets sold before his contract ends. There were no such reports about FdJ. Nobody knows the contract details, but one way or another there is a legal basis, that both sides agreed to. Either FdJ put in the contract that Barca have to pay him his deferrals if he leaves early or not. The lawyers of both sides will have checked that this isn't grossly violating labor regulations.
There are limits to what clubs are allowed to do to push players out. That is only relevant if Barca would do really stupid stuff next season (e.g. exclude him from the squad).
in short: as far as we know there is no ground for either side to sue anyone.

Sjaakmeoff

He deferred his pay not a pay cut which he is entitled to receive and De Jong love for Barca didn't stop him from extracting bigger contract from them using PSG interest as leverage when he moved from Ajax .
And De Jong isn't somebody at the end of his career who has already amassed a fortune he basically got his full salary probably only for a year from Barca before COVID hit and since then is getting reduced pay with the promise of rest later and now some people are expecting him to forgo his deferred pay as well as take a massive pay cut on wages yeah good luck with that .

Your keyboard is broken.

Castia

I doubt it. The key day is the 30th of July when Barca management has to hand over to La Liga their financial plans for next season.
But that’s a week before the season starts. We need to do what’s right for us, I mean on the 30th we would have been chasing him for 3 months that’s just ridiculous at that point.

Tell you what if we’re still chasing FdJ on the 30th with no other midfielder signed then heads should roll that would be a complete shambles.

Brophs

The One and Only
Romano’s article is very deliberate in the language it uses.
His agents, Ali Dursun and Hasan Cetinkaya, made clear to Barcelona that the Netherlands international is not seeking a move
Manchester United’s pursuit of Frenkie de Jong has stalled after his agents told Barcelona the midfielder had no intention of leaving.
I’n guessing he either doesn’t want to weaken his hand in the negotiations regarding the deferred wages or may even have to forego certain amounts if he requests a transfer.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
But that’s a week before the season starts. We need to do what’s right for us, I mean on the 30th we would have been chasing him for 3 months that’s just ridiculous at that point.
I don't if Murtough and Arnold are happy about it either.

It has to be ETH who is telling them to close this deal at any reasonable cost. Frenkie wouldn't have been on the United radar if not for ETH right?

SuperiorXI

I seriously doubt we would have come all this way without assurances from FDJ. It's safe to assume this is just tactical from his camp to get the money he is owed.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Romano’s article is very deliberate in the language it uses.

I’n guessing he either doesn’t want to weaken his hand in the negotiations regarding the deferred wages or may even have to forego certain amounts if he requests a transfer.
I don't understand why his deferred wages have anything to do with his move. He entered into an employment contract with Barcelona for a specific wage and bonuses, which was not paid to him in due time. Even if he moves to Manchester, he can take it to any European court and get what he's due and Barcelona are legally obligated to pay him for his work.

RuudTom83

If ETH is willing to pursue Frankie for the entire window and NOT get him in the end then so be it. But if that happens then I don't want to here him complaining about the DM or CM positions during the season.

Go for an easier target ffs!

FiiiiveTenHaaags

Bookies is not the closest thing. A few weeks ago he was 1/20 to join us.
To be fair it did seem ten times more likely before this deferred wages thing became apparent…

I’m not saying they’re perfect (bookies odds) but for me it’s still a better metric taking into account various info sources than 99% of Twitter.

Genuine question, not being sarcastic here, what would you say is more reliable?

WPMUFC

I seriously doubt we would have come all this way without assurances from FDJ. It's safe to assume this is just tactical from his camp to get the money he is owed.
“De Jong is reputed to be due to return to training with Barcelona on Monday but United have been given encouragement behind the scenes that he remains open to the move, with sources indicating that they would not have progressed a deal this far if that was not the case, despite claims in Spain that the player has no intention of quitting the Catalan club.”
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...ul-signing-frenkie-de-jong-despite-barcelona/

For some reason, people keep acting like this report doesn't exist.....literally from 2 days ago. :lol: :lol:

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
To be fair it did seem ten times more likely before this deferred wages thing became apparent…

I’m not saying they’re perfect (bookies odds) but for me it’s still a better metric taking into account various info sources than 99% of Twitter.

Genuine question, not being sarcastic here, what would you say is more reliable?
Bookies take no liability on transfer markets. They have no clue hence the big price swings.

You are right that they can be a useful barometer for many things, but not this.

Becks00

FDJ is just forcing Barca to pay him his money, by stating that he wants to stay..
Once Barcelona pays him his money , he'll go. I believe it's just a matter of time before he comes to United.
I think he is calling their bluff either way, they either pay him to leave or he stays and earn his money over the length of his contact. Either option would be fine for him. It's Barca who have to decide now, do they want him out so desperately that they would pay him to leave or would they just live with him staying and pay him what was agreed.

Man Utd's position though I understand, it's seems common knowledge now Barca simply can't afford to keep him with his current contract and so their only option would be to pay him off. I think in that eventuality FDJ has told the club he is not opposed to joining, ball is in Barcelona's court.

Macern

Pee pee pants
But the fact that Romano is saying that de Jong and his agents have reiterated to United that he doesn't want to leave Barca and doesn't want to come to United... come on now. Surely even he knows thats bullshit but he's reporting it because he KNOWS United fans will gobble that shit up and be desperate for more.
Haha didn't see the 'Man Utd are also informed' yeah that's clearly bullshit. As everyone has said it makes no sense for us to be informed of this now after weeks/months of negotiating.

As for Romano in general, he clearly gets his information from agents and agents seem to use the media (and him) for negotiation purposes. I have no doubt what he is saying is what agents are telling him though.

Imagine the scenes if we don't get him; not only will Barca be in a complete mess but the meltdown on here and the reputation of the new people in charge at Man Utd. It'd almost be as bad as Woodwards first season where we didn't get anyone and overpaid for Fellaini at deadline day.

Status
Not open for further replies.