Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony247

Contrary to Barca claim that they are forced to sell FdJ due to financial constraints, all things indiacte they are selling because they just don't want him anymore. Why would any player stick around where he no longer wanted? He is coming. Believe.

Revaulx

Always a possibility, but I think that would be extremely disrespectful to his old gaffer and also considering his agent has other players at our club.
Yeah I wasn’t being entirely serious. Maybe he’s on the Caf and wants to make “his” thread the longest ever :)

OrcaFat

Should be getting a new agent if that wasn't iron clad.
I’m sure it is iron clad that he gets more money next year and the year after. He doesn’t have to move, he has a contract that keeps getting better whether he plays or not.

If the above is the true state of affairs then he is in a strong position and should try to get a decent pay off from Barca and, in my opinion, he’s entitled to it after agreeing the end-weighted salary schedule (to help the club).

Meanwhile Barca will be trying to get us to pay FDJ the extra he is “owed”. We can (and, I suspect, will) walk away at some point but I think Barca will cave before that and will cry and moan publicly about the injustice of it all. I think I hate them.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The second he says he wants to leave Barcelona make his wages United’s problem. His agent and him are playing this smart.
Really? He or his agent can set a deadline "Hey, Barca. I want to stay but i respect your situation that may force you to sell me. But if you don't make decision (to pay my deferred wage and sell me) by this date xxxxx, I will stay in this season whatever happened after that."

That's what you called putting pressure. The whole thing of "oh there's nothing he can do at this point, other than waiting" is bogus and only naive people would believe.

Revaulx

:lol: No. I believe that FDJ respects ETH as the coach who ‘made him’ and who always believed in him. Even if he eventually doesn’t come, he’s going to be respectful to his former coach
Oh I’m sure you’re right. Still, it makes a change from Di Maria vibes and his being too short and having a dicky ticker and us already being stacked with left backs…

Tavern in the town

If he didn’t have some sort of exit clause when he chose to defer his wages, which it looks like he didn’t, he needs to fire everyone out of a cannon.

OrcaFat

Well, he clearly doesn’t want to leave Barca and that has been the message all along. I don’t think it’s nearly as much about the €17m owed as they could sort that out after he left anyway, it’s not like they could force him into writing off that debt.
He doesn’t want to leave Barca because he will not get his money if he does. He is not owed it. He has a contract that increases his salary year by year. Barca don’t have to pay him if he leaves. He doesn’t have to leave and, I’m sure, will not leave until Barca (or somebody) pays him off. Barca may have been his dream club but at this point it’s just about the money.

Muppetry_man

Reading in the Twitter Tranfers topic ... Germany
I read in the same article from Steve Bates that, we proposed to pay the wages and reduce it from the transfer fee, "but complicated tax implications as well as abiding by UEFA and FIFA codes of practice have made that a non-starter" . So I suppose it's game of who blinks first!

TheReligion

Abusive
Well, he clearly doesn’t want to leave Barca and that has been the message all along. I don’t think it’s nearly as much about the €17m owed as they could sort that out after he left anyway, it’s not like they could force him into writing off that debt.
You’re very out of touch with what’s going on I’m afraid

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I read in the same article from Steve Bates that, we proposed to pay the wages and reduce it from the transfer fee, "but complicated tax implications as well as abiding by UEFA and FIFA codes of practice have made that a non-starter" . So I suppose it's game of who blinks first!
I’m sure there’s a way around that

Tony247

I think FdJ and his agent have massively fecked up the revised contract giving Barca a legal loophole/way out on his backdated wages. Speculating, but my hunch says if he leaves goes the claim on deferred wages. So he is staying put no matter what until Barca settles the "due" in good faith.

Last edited:

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Accepting a move away isn’t putting in a transfer request. His loyalty bonus would still be there for him.
I don’t know how it works legally. Him saying I want to go but I want my money would surely constitute requesting to leave no?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Contrary to Barca claim that they are forced to sell FdJ due to financial constraints, all things indiacte they are selling because they just don't want him anymore. Why would any player stick around where he no longer wanted? He is coming. Believe.
His wages are due to skyrocket this season. That is the real issue.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
Any good summary of what you guys think is going on with this at the minute without reading lots of pages?

cyberman

I don’t know how it works legally. Him saying I want to go but I want my money would surely constitute requesting to leave no?
He doesn’t have to say he wants to go, he’s not putting in a transfer request.
You know what, I wouldn’t put anything past Barcelona at this stage

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Have we briefed that we're willing to continue on with this transfer and we're not backing out?
I see Jackson saying the same thing now, as Ducker did this morning and others too. I wonder if we're briefing that it's not over despite him going on tour

Tony247

It won't unless he put a transfer request. Key here i think is:
FdJ: I want my money
Barca: what money? I don't legally owe you any money

Paul778

That's not how loyalty bonus works. It'll only be waived if you officially hands a transfer request. Saying he'd like a move on the media doesnt count.

And saying you want to move doesnt mean they can freeze your salary just like that.
But why say it if you don't
It won't unless he put a transfer request. Key here i think is:
FdJ: I want my money
Barca: what money? I don't legally owe you any money
They do if he stays

If United wasn't the chasing club this would be hilarious

Tony247

His wages are due to skyrocket this season. That is the real issue.
If they value him and really want him then they would have found amicable solution with FdJ.

His wages have become issue because they don't want him around.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
If they value him and really want him then they would have found amicable solution with FdJ.

His wages have become issue because they don't want him around.
They tried - their requirement to stay at the club he loves and adores was to take yet another pay cut.
You can imagine how well that went down can't you

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I think we should definitely stick in this race, even if it doesn't happen. He's who the manager wants most, and ETH is clearly convinced FdJ is keen.

That said, I don't see why we can't move for an additional midfielder to fill the role left by Matic. There are loads of options still on the market and it would mean - if FdJ doesn't happen - we're not completely up sh**s creek without a paddle come the new season/end of window.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I’m confused, now you’re saying there was reporting done by the press that supports your belief that the wages weren’t deferred but were forgiven in exchange for an increased wage in a new and improved contract….but are at the same time saying that the press that is currently reporting the issuing being non payment of deferred wages (which doesn’t support your opinion) is less credible? To me it seems as if you are just choosing to believe the reports that support your position while discrediting those that contradict you.

Perhaps you are more litigious than I am, but for me the first step in negotiating a release from a contract is not to run to a court but to engage in a negotiation with your counterparty. I posit that what we are witnessing is the negotiation of the release, through the press. It has everything to die with the deferred wages, as well as loyalty bonuses and perhaps whether De Jung’s deferred wages should also include an element of an interest rate as well.
No I'm suggesting that the press is using the term deferred casually not in a legal sense because if it was in a legal sense, De Jong would be owed that money whether he is employed tomorrow by Barcelona or not. I'm not choosing one report over an other, I'm simply seeing an inconsistency, earned money isn't negotiable unless there is a solvency issue and it's also not linked to future actions because it would imply that the money isn't earned yet which means that we are not talking about a deferral.

And I agree that what we are witnessing is seemingly the negotiation of his release and I'm also saying that it's not about deferred wages, at least not in the way many are interpreting. From what I understood, De Jong extended his contract and changed the payment structure, Barcelona renegotiated the 2019 contract and reduced his scheduled 20-22 earnings while increasing his 2022-24 earnings, they also added two more years.

Now here is the difference between a deferral and a new structure, the deferral means that the money has already been earned but has legally not been paid, a new structure can mean that the money has not been earned and legally not been paid. The implication is that in the first case De Jong is owed that money no matter what and if not paid there is no negotiation, it's not a matter of being litigious it's illegal to not pay earned wages. In the second case De Jong is only owed these future earnings if he is employed by Barcelona or if future triggers are met otherwise they don't owe him the backloaded wages.

Status
Not open for further replies.