Funniest Van Gaal Moments - "We go for it!"

Tarrou

Now that we've all had a few years to recover I thought it might be nice to reminisce on some funny moments from the mad cnuts time here...

My top 5;

5. Louis meets Mike Smalling..

4. Louis has a pop at Huth, claims Fellaini elbowing him was a "natural reaction", later reveals he's into sex masochism..

3. Louis chants his own chant in a higher pitch than you'd imagine possible..

2. Louis mugs off Mike Dean..

1. "Hallo! Hallo! Hey! Pay attention to your manager".. Pissed-up Louis delivers surely one of the greatest speeches ever given.

Woodzy

Great character and personality with the wrong ideas for the club.

Only one of the three sacked managers that I felt genuinely sorry for.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

I feel like Van Gaal is remembered slightly more fondly than Mourinho and Moyes due to his character. His football was some of the most boring at times, even more so than Mou and Moyes'. He was a character off the field though!

Ole continued his legacy with horny football!

Amarsdd

What a mad bastard he was!
Anyway in that speech video, were those the players and staff cheering and shouting or were there fans in there as well?

Jonno

I absolutely loved him in between match days. He was a firecracker.

I loved how decisive he was in terms of strategy and planning for the future of the club. He knew exactly what he wanted to do and he executed it from day one.

It's clear as day though, that the club woke up to his strategy a year or so in and realised it was the wrong direction for Man United.

Reiver

His character was the opposite of the football his team played: unpredictable and fun.

Tarrou

What a mad bastard he was!
Anyway in that speech video, were those the players and staff cheering and shouting or were there fans in there as well?
don't think there were any fans there, it was the end of season club dinner

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I absolutely loved him in between match days. He was a firecracker.

I loved how decisive he was in terms of strategy and planning for the future of the club. He knew exactly what he wanted to do and he executed it from day one.

It's clear as day though, that the club woke up to his strategy a year or so in and realised it was the wrong direction for Man United.
The style was wrong but giving chances to young players was right. Van Gaal generally preferred youngsters because he could mould them into his style. The problem was his coaching was stuck in the 90s and he couldn't build a team for the modern game. Moreover, his signings were mostly bad.

Jonno

The style was wrong but giving chances to young players was right. Van Gaal generally preferred youngsters because he could mould them into his style. The problem was his coaching was stuck in the 90s and he couldn't build a team for the modern game. Moreover, his signings were mostly bad.
Yeah, agreed. I remember a quote coming from one of the players, apparently he didn't want them to shoot more than 2-3 times per game, because he wanted to win 1-0 and control the game for 90 mins. It's only really this past 12-18 months we've finally stamped out LVG's side-ways passing. I remember even Jose quoted saying it takes months to change a squad from playing sideways football.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Wasn't the right coach for United and I was bored to tears watching us at times, but I quite liked him. Seemed a really funny and honest guy. Some of those clips :lol:

izec

Yeah, agreed. I remember a quote coming from one of the players, apparently he didn't want them to shoot more than 2-3 times per game, because he wanted to win 1-0 and control the game for 90 mins. It's only really this past 12-18 months we've finally stamped out LVG's side-ways passing. I remember even Jose quoted saying it takes months to change a squad from playing sideways football.
I cant imagine that's true. He wasnt a fan of shooting from bad positions or forced shooting like Rojo from nowhere, but i can't imagine him ever saying that. So if you are 1vs1 with a keeper, then dont shoot because you have shot already 3 times? Sounds like nonsense to me. He didnt like unnecesseary risks and stupidity and preferred to keep the ball, but if you win the game, nobody cares.

Maybe it was from the same players who didnt bother to open up the emails and read through the reports sent to them.

Web of Bissaka

My top 5;

5. Louis meets Mike Smalling..

4. Louis has a pop at Huth, claims Fellaini elbowing him was a "natural reaction", later reveals he's into sex masochism..

3. Louis chants his own chant in a higher pitch than you'd imagine possible..

2. Louis mugs off Mike Dean..

1. "Hallo! Hallo! Hey! Pay attention to your manager".. Pissed-up Louis delivers surely one of the greatest speeches ever given.
:nono:OP is disappointing.

Where's horny?

Horny and the Dive should be all time best top 2.

1. LVG Dive
2. Horny

Revaulx

Great character and personality with the wrong ideas for the club.
I’m not so sure the ideas were wrong. It was the implementation of them that was terrible.

Only one of the three sacked managers that I felt genuinely sorry for.
Who were your other two?

Mine, for what it’s worth:
McGuinness: definitely
O’Farrell: a little bit
Docherty: no, though I very much regretted his sacking
Sexton: a little bit
Atkinson: no
Moyes: no
LvG: definitely, though I still agreed he had to go
Mourinho: no

Edit: whoops I missed your “three”. I thought you were talking about all of United’s sacked managers from the beginning of time .:lol:

Last edited:

BarstoolProphet

His character was the opposite of the football his team played: unpredictable and fun.

Pretty much this. He was hilarious and his personality was certainly big enough to manage a club of United's size, but his football was dreadful. Wish he would have been successful for us, not just because I support United, but it would have been a really fun ride to be on after Moyes made us all depressed both on and off the field.

Bondi77

Football was similar to a visit to the dentist but the man himself used to crack me up

RUCK4444

Great value in interviews but disastrous value in transfers and direction for the club.

I would argue his stint was the most damaging of the three managers prior to Ole.

Moyes is obviously the worse manager but his limited time here minimised his detrimental impact to some extent, still terrible but could have been worse with more time.

Good for a giggle though.

dalriada

I liked Louis and, on balance, I would have let him do his planned three seasons and then hand over to someone else, rather than inflict Mourinho on us. I think the club were concerned he was taking them in a direction they didn't want to go, and I wonder why they didn't understand that when they appointed him. His strength of character was a relief after Moyes' indecisiveness, and his pressers were always good value.

The dive in front of Mike Dean and the End Of Season speech, when he'd had a little bit too much to drink, still make me laugh.

Jonno

I cant imagine that's true. He wasnt a fan of shooting from bad positions or forced shooting like Rojo from nowhere, but i can't imagine him ever saying that. So if you are 1vs1 with a keeper, then dont shoot because you have shot already 3 times? Sounds like nonsense to me. He didnt like unnecesseary risks and stupidity and preferred to keep the ball, but if you win the game, nobody cares.

Maybe it was from the same players who didnt bother to open up the emails and read through the reports sent to them.
Yeah, I think it might have been Rooney that said it. Obviously one on one with the keeper is a no brainer, but against teams with low blocks at Old Trafford, he wanted to pressure cook the game and be furious if a player shot from to far out when they could have popped it wide.

dalriada

I’m not so sure the ideas were wrong. It was the implementation of them that was terrible.

Who were your other two?

Mine, for what it’s worth:
McGuinness: definitely
O’Farrell: a little bit
Docherty: no, though I very much regretted his sacking
Sexton: a little bit
Atkinson: no
Moyes: no
LvG: definitely, though I still agreed he had to go
Mourinho: no
Interesting - I absolutely did not feel sorry for O'Farrell, thought his inability to man-manage was bound to get him in the end. I've felt less sorry for Docherty as stories have emerged over the years about his flagrant back-stabbing and deviousness. Couldn't argue with Big Ron's sacking, we were in the bottom four, but I always like guy and still do.

PeteManic

Was it pre-season 13/14 or 14/15 when United played 3 at the back and looked the absolute business and then the season started...! Haha!

King Louis is a legend.

Wrong man at wrong time but still a legend.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Should have allowed him to complete his rebuild. We were slowly getting into a plan but lacked the players for the execution of it.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He was well past his weak and sadly wasn't good enough for us, but I think I liked the man himself as United manager. He was far more likeable than Mourinho for me. At no point did I think he stunk up the seat of the manager which is important, and after Moyes it was needed too.

crossy1686

career ending
I loved how out of touch Van Gaal was with the world in general. Just didn’t give a feck and backed himself 100%, such a great character.

I hated how out of touch he was with United though. Didn’t care for anything that had come before him, it was all about doing things his way with no compromise.

bsCallout

He would have been our answer to Klopp for sure. Shame he couldn't manage like Klopp in the modern game.

Imagine them two at a pub after a United v Pool game!!

Great character.

AshRK

I really wish the Leicester defeat never happened. That 5-3 loss made him defensive and question our attacking players. And then 2 or 3 weeks later Fellaini came on from the bench and helped us draw 2-2 against WBA.

Top character and will always remember him fondly (not his football). Also thanks for rashford and Martial.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Should have allowed him to complete his rebuild. We were slowly getting into a plan but lacked the players for the execution of it.
We gave him £300m to spend on players. What fecking more do you want? There was no rebuild under LvG, he improved us initially but then we got worse as his second season progressed. He deserved the sack, his football was shocking, his signings were shite, and he had lost most of the players.

But he was a great character and I did really like him, his ideas were just about 20 years too outdated, sadly. He was never toxic like Mourinho and I do think the manner in which the club did sack him was a bit shite too.

Tiber

His sacking was a personal highlight for me.

Its a shame, he clearly is a real character and what he did with Holland was extremely exciting. But he was a shitshow here - LVG was so useless that he convinced me that Jose (a manager I have always despised) was worth a shot.

Web of Bissaka

The irony is that the players he bought in doesn't make his plan works which is just odd.
Falcao, Schweini, Schneider, Darmian, Depay, etc etc etc. Even players he supposedly say will work and made his plan get better is playing worse eg. RVP.

It's like a random dice.
Only few works eg. Martial, Blind, ugh who else? And the players which doesn't fit his plan makes his football better eg. Rashford (he had to play him not by preferences but because no other preferable striker is available, he even blasted Rashford for taking risks in one game) and Herrera, even Di Maria made his football more effective (before he gave up). His dull football basically needs more risk-takers which he just don't like.

We have to question if he knows what he's doing or not, it's likely he has past his time. Dinosaur?

Maticmaker

Loved Louis's "Twitchy-arse' ....instead of 'squeaky bum', then his explanation of how he got it wrong!

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
It was right towards the end of the second season that I felt that the team was playing the way that Van Gaal wanted. I think it was Giggs and Rooney who had said this as well saying that the team had started to understand his complex tactics and were playing towards it more routinely - but by then for alot of fans (not me) the damage had been done, especially since the top 4 had not be achieved.

The problem with him though for me was that he was tactically excellent but he has a history of making poor transfers at alot of his past clubs. Giggs and Rooney call him the most tactical intelligent manager they have ever worked under - highligting him as a big reason they want to get in to management and just from having him here - I still see imprints of his tactics around the club possibly on ex players, coaches like Nicky Butt Or Michael Carrick, especially when you see the 352, the left footed LCB or things like this as said by Michael Carrick :

Carrick wrote in his book, serialised by the Times, about the spell when he felt progress in the post-Fergie era: ''Louis van Gaal taught me another way of football, especially how to set up the team defensively, how to squeeze the pitch and suffocate a team. He went into so much detail and was so particular that we were difficult to play against when we got it right.

''The period when it looked like we were making strong progress was in March-April 2015. We played Spurs, Liverpool and City and beat them all comfortably. When we went to Anfield, Brendan Rodgers had Liverpool playing a box in midfield, with Adam Lallana and Philippe Coutinho coming in off the sides.

''To combat that, Louis told me to play midfield when we got the ball and centre half when we didn’t, dropping between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones so we’d always have this overload. It allowed one of them to push all the way in on their side and I just dropped a little deeper, which saved me from running from one side to the other. I moved up and back instead of across the pitch."

''We tried it in a practice match at Carrington against Giggsy’s side. Giggsy always took the opposition the day before the game, 11 v 11, and we were all over the place. Giggsy’s players kept getting through. I remember saying to Chris and Phil, 'Oh, we’re getting pulled all over the place here.'

Louis walked past me with a smile on his face, going, 'I’ve made it easy for you tomorrow!' 'What do you mean?' 'I’ve made it easy. Look, Chris there, Phil there. You don’t have to do anything. You have them all around you. Just read it.'

''Louis showed me my position between them, creating the overload, and supposedly blocking out the space that Liverpool could use. In the end, it was the best performance I’ve seen from us at Anfield by a mile. All of Louis’s details stayed in my mind, like knowing when to drop back, and, yes, it worked. This was Louis at his best. Juan Mata won the game with an incredible scissor-kick.''

- Michael Carrick

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Can’t find any of it funny because I despised him. Stubborn, arrogant washed up tool who’s reign we are still trying to recover from now.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Yeah complete his rebuild that was almost finished folllowing the excellent acquisitions of Rojo, Di Maria, Falcao, Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Darmian and Memphis.

The only plan he had was to fill the team with average, past it or uncommitted players and get them to play the most boring brand of football Old Trafford experienced in a generation.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
LVG was a strange one.

Clearly he was a smart man, what he knew he knew very well. He got us playing possession the best I've ever seen a united side - but we had zero cutting edge at the top end.

I look back at it and we just had completely the wrong players for that style of football. We signed Di Maria to do that and while he looked great in spells his heart wasn't in it.

The switch to 3-5-2 was absolutely awful, and we had players like Blackett and Mcnair in the back 3. We just looked lost playing that way.

Once we had a bit of pace coming through in Martial and Rashford we started to look and play much better, but the writing was already on the wall for him.

He seemed a lovely guy though and the squad still talk fondly of him.

Strelok

He seemed a lovely guy though and the squad still talk fondly of him.
Not sure about this but I heard the squad at that time really hated him, and that played a big reason in his sacking ?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not sure about this but I heard the squad at that time really hated him, and that played a big reason in his sacking ?
Not sure about that. Bored of playing his football maybe but people like Rooney and Rashford have always spoken highly of him.

I'm sure he didn't see eye to eye with everybody but what manager does.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
It was right towards the end of the second season that I felt that the team was playing the way that Van Gaal wanted. I think it was Giggs and Rooney who had said this as well saying that the team had started to understand his complex tactics and were playing towards it more routinely - but by then for alot of fans (not me) the damage had been done, especially since the top 4 had not be achieved.

The problem with him though for me was that he was tactically excellent but he has a history of making poor transfers at alot of his past clubs. Giggs and Rooney call him the most tactical intelligent manager they have ever worked under - highligting him as a big reason they want to get in to management and just from having him here - I still see imprints of his tactics around the club possibly on ex players, coaches like Nicky Butt Or Michael Carrick, especially when you see the 352, the left footed LCB or things like this as said by Michael Carrick :

Carrick wrote in his book, serialised by the Times, about the spell when he felt progress in the post-Fergie era: ''Louis van Gaal taught me another way of football, especially how to set up the team defensively, how to squeeze the pitch and suffocate a team. He went into so much detail and was so particular that we were difficult to play against when we got it right.

''The period when it looked like we were making strong progress was in March-April 2015. We played Spurs, Liverpool and City and beat them all comfortably. When we went to Anfield, Brendan Rodgers had Liverpool playing a box in midfield, with Adam Lallana and Philippe Coutinho coming in off the sides.

''To combat that, Louis told me to play midfield when we got the ball and centre half when we didn’t, dropping between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones so we’d always have this overload. It allowed one of them to push all the way in on their side and I just dropped a little deeper, which saved me from running from one side to the other. I moved up and back instead of across the pitch."

''We tried it in a practice match at Carrington against Giggsy’s side. Giggsy always took the opposition the day before the game, 11 v 11, and we were all over the place. Giggsy’s players kept getting through. I remember saying to Chris and Phil, 'Oh, we’re getting pulled all over the place here.'

Louis walked past me with a smile on his face, going, 'I’ve made it easy for you tomorrow!' 'What do you mean?' 'I’ve made it easy. Look, Chris there, Phil there. You don’t have to do anything. You have them all around you. Just read it.'

''Louis showed me my position between them, creating the overload, and supposedly blocking out the space that Liverpool could use. In the end, it was the best performance I’ve seen from us at Anfield by a mile. All of Louis’s details stayed in my mind, like knowing when to drop back, and, yes, it worked. This was Louis at his best. Juan Mata won the game with an incredible scissor-kick.''

- Michael Carrick
Exactly, people have short memories. We lost top 4 on goal difference. He was the first one to bring the concept of " playing out from back" in epl ( even before Pep). He bought a DM and converted him to a CB to implement his ideas. The problem was he couldn't break the defensive teams down and that could have been achieved only with better players. ( which we are still struggling)