Film FURIOSA (A Mad Max Saga)

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Pulp Fiction was supposed to be a masterpiece and that was shit as well.
Pulp Fiction is good. No masterpiece, though. Fury Road is one, however. It’s filmmaking in its purest and greatest form. The stunts, the cinematography and everything to do with it are greatness of an almost impossible level. It’s a gigantic achievement I would have deemed impossible in the times of digital effects.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
In comparison to Robocop & Predator reboots / remakes, or feckin Alien Covenant, Fury Road looked like genuinely fun popcorn explosion flick. Just not sure this one will be the level of Hardy and Theron doing cool stuff on the screen.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
This. It stands up there with the all time action classics, and it's probably the best from this century.
Not sure about that but it’s a great flic, agreed. I‘m waiting to get my oled screen so I can finally check out the chromatic version properly, sitting on the shelf for ages.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
The people claiming Fury Road is the greatest action film of all time have clearly never seen True Lies or Terminator 2.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Yeah Mad Max Fury Road is obviously up there with the best action films ever made, and one of the best films of this century. It's a filmmaking tour de force, and it's exhilarating from start to finish. Of course some will disagree because... taste, but in general it's perceived as such by a wide array of people, including poncy critics who you wouldn't particularly expect to rave about it.

It's much, much better than Top Gun Maverick (which is a shit film, needs to be said) that everyone was wanking over last year.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah Mad Max Fury Road is obviously up there with the best action films ever made, and one of the best films of this century. It's a filmmaking tour de force, and it's exhilarating from start to finish. Of course some will disagree because... taste, but in general it's perceived as such by a wide array of people, including poncy critics who you wouldn't particularly expect to rave about it.

It's much, much better than Top Gun Maverick (which is a shit film, needs to be said) that everyone was wanking over last year.
Oh man, don’t get me started…

Sweet Square

I rewatched it again last night for maybe the 4th time after reading this thread and it’s perfect. Notice this time how brilliant and effortless
the world building is. There’s no nerdy lore and long dialogue it’s all show don’t tell.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I don’t understand it. Why are we getting simultaneously worried about AI taking over the world while CGI in movies - powered by the same graphics chips - seems to be getting worse and worse! Someone help it all make sense!
Supposedly it was lucky no-one died during the Fury Road shoot so I think they might've dialled down the practical stuff a bit (think I read they did some stuff in the volume, which can often result in it looking pretty flat).

Hopefully it looks alright in the final viewing, as Fury Road is to me still the best big-budget film of the last 20 years or so.

Sweet Square

There’s the chance the CGI will look completely different in the finished film. Or maybe Miller is going for Speed Racer ascetic which could work really well.

Imo the biggest issue is doing a Furiosa origin story. The message of Fury Road is you can’t go back to the past. Instead you have to change the world you currently live in. There’s a reason why the GOAT never made another Terminator film after T2.

Still hope I’m wrong(Which is very likely).

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Still indifferent whether the character actually needs her whole backstory told.
Also, the greenery really should've been left out of the trailer.

Last edited:

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
A Mad Max sequel would have been better than this unnecessary prequel.

stevoc

Supposedly it was lucky no-one died during the Fury Road shoot so I think they might've dialled down the practical stuff a bit (think I read they did some stuff in the volume, which can often result in it looking pretty flat).

Hopefully it looks alright in the final viewing, as Fury Road is to me still the best big-budget film of the last 20 years or so.
I remember a youtube video a few years back explaining that there was way more CGI in fury Road than most people think.

A lot of what people thought was practical was actually digital. Maybe they just don't have the same budget this time or the CG will be more polished on release.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Bring back the practical effects. This has far too much CGI based on the trailer. You don't need overly dramatic and stupid action sequences, most people just want something that is real. This is why MI series is so popular. This just looks like 300.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Seeking out trailers to watch them before going to the movies is in itself an absolutely stupid thing to do. Like searching for a Dyson commercial before buying a vacuum cleaner. Trailers have no value at all.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I remember a youtube video a few years back explaining that there was way more CGI in fury Road than most people think.

A lot of what people thought was practical was actually digital. Maybe they just don't have the same budget this time or the CG will be more polished on release.
It for sure had a lot, there's another good video showing that even something like Parasite has tons. But even just looking at the Fury Road trailer you can sense a difference:

That said, Miller is the boss so I'll be there day one regardless.

stevoc

It for sure had a lot, there's another good video showing that even something like Parasite has tons. But even just looking at the Fury Road trailer you can sense a difference:

That said, Miller is the boss so I'll be there day one regardless.
Yeah this one doesn't look nearly as polished. I'm still looking forward to it though.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Just watched the trailer again and I'm not too fussed about this. Fury Road is my favourite action movie of all time. This just seems like it will be a similar vibe but just not deliver in the way FR did.

The trailers alone, Fury Road was amazing and exciting looking with all the cool shots and Verdi blasting whereas this looks a bit boring I think in comparison.

Parma Dewol

As above I'm not overly enthused by the trailer. Then again, I've been misled by good trailers for shit movies on so many occasions, I wouldn't mind the reverse for a change. Plus, I'm willing to give this one the benefit of the doubt as Fury Road was awesome, and Furiosa is a bad ass.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Interesting info

One of the things I find most strange when it comes to films is people deciding in advance if a film is going to be good or not depending on trailers - and whether they'll go see it. I think it's just better to avoid them in general, they don't tell you anything you need to know about the film and could potentially ruin it for you.

Another one I don't get is grading films.
Anya Taylor-Joy is terrible at acting.
You're full of hot takes!

Wing Attack Plan R

One of the things I find most strange when it comes to films is people deciding in advance if a film is going to be good or not depending on trailers - and whether they'll go see it. I think it's just better to avoid them in general, they don't tell you anything you need to know about the film and could potentially ruin it for you.

Another one I don't get is grading films.

You're full of hot takes!
Did you see her in Peaky Blinders? Yikes.

Last edited:

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
I love that style of fighting they do.

Fury Road was good but not even as good as the Road Warrior.
I agree. Road Warrior is classic. Fury Road was good to watch but I haven’t bothered to rewatch, which means it’s not a masterpiece. This new one is going down the road of all the new marvel movies which is not for me.

Wing Attack Plan R

I agree. Road Warrior is classic. Fury Road was good to watch but I haven’t bothered to rewatch, which means it’s not a masterpiece. This new one is going down the road of all the new marvel movies which is not for me.
Road Warrior was a triumph of speed ramping and practical stunts. Even at slow speeds (how they really shot it) some of that stuff looked really dangerous. Amazing stunts. And Mel Gibson was so great back before alcoholism and Catholicism rotted his brain. RIP Mel.

The new trailer takes place in an alternate universe where fire isn’t hot, shockwaves don’t exist, and an 80 pound (soaking wet) girl gets a pass from Newtonian physics.