Future Direction?

RedRonaldinho

Do you think Ferguson will stick to the 4 - 4 -2 for next season? We've seen that it get's us a lot more goals but does it leave us more vulnerable defensively. As a result do you think Ferguson will b looking for 2 more defensive minded CM's or 1 DM and 1 more attack minded CM. I'd put money on Diarra arriving in the summer but I think his midfield partner will be a bit more progressive, but not an out and out AM.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I think fergie will stick with 4-4-2 from the start.

but it's important to be able to adapt and change your game plan from time to time, while the 433 hasnt served us well this season i believe that is down to not having the right personel to implament it.

In the summer with a couple new CM's i think we will see the more attacking 442 to get us the goals and then the 451/433 to sure things up towards the end.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
DM - Mascherano/Diarra
AM - Ballack/Rosicky/Schneider

Any combination of 1 AM and 1 DM from the above listed names would be amazing

DA2

I would prefer a slight variant - the biggest problem with 4-3-3 is that Rooney isnt in his ideal position. So I would like to see 4-2-3-1 which we have played before. Ideally I think we should by 2 CMs, Diarra and Mascherano would be great - an AM does need buying but as long as Scholes is alright for the start of the season is less of a priority. I think Fortune will be sold and I see OShea being used as a utility defender hes not suited to midfield. This leaves Fletch as our only real CM and poss Smith - we need 2 defensively orientated midfielders to provide options and cover.

Justin

kafta said:
DM - Mascherano/Diarra
AM - Ballack/Rosicky/Schneider

Any combination of 1 AM and 1 DM from the above listed names would be amazing
You mean Sneijder from Ajax right? Don't think Ballack and Rosicky are options anymore.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
Justin said:
You mean Sneijder from Ajax right? Don't think Ballack and Rosicky are options anymore.
Ballack hasn't signed for anyone yet has he? Having said that I doubt he'll be joingin us

Justin

Mozza said:
Ballack hasn't signed for anyone yet has he? Having said that I doubt he'll be joingin us
Fergie did say he didn't want to sign Ballack so I'm just going with that.

Dowders_Jnr

As good a player as he undoubtedly is, I do wonder whether or not Ballack is a good option. My reservations lie partly on his personality. He is a grand example of the "FC Hollywood" culture that was so prominent at Bayern in the years leading up to his arrival. He is a confrontational guy. Many would retort to that by claiming Keane was the same. But Ballack in this respect is more self-centered, whereas a lot of controversy surrounding Roy was evidently more to do with his concerns regarding the state of the team.

I would just wonder if Ballack's more egotistical nature is what we really need as an example for developing talents like as Rooney and Ronaldo.

That said, it could well go the other way. As he proved in the last World Cup, he will put himself on the line for the team, even if it ultimately costs him. But for the wages in question, I don't think he is the best option.

Jalut

RedRonaldinho said:
Do you think Ferguson will stick to the 4 - 4 -2 for next season? We've seen that it get's us a lot more goals but does it leave us more vulnerable defensively. As a result do you think Ferguson will b looking for 2 more defensive minded CM's or 1 DM and 1 more attack minded CM. I'd put money on Diarra arriving in the summer but I think his midfield partner will be a bit more progressive, but not an out and out AM.
Go ask Ferguson ;)

RedRonaldinho

If Gill has said there will be 2 major signings what standard of footballer do you think he is talking about. I mean i'm not sure I would class sojme of the players being discussed as massive signings. To someone in Gill's position would he be talking about massive signings in a a financial sense. Which to me would imply 20m pound plus players. What do you think?

k-standred

Healthy, safe and neutered
Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber said:
For me he will sign either Diarra/Mascherano/Gatusso for defensive midfield and Nolan/Rosicky/ Raul Garcia ( I wish Ballack ) for attacking midfield. Or (God forbid) Jermaine Jenas. thus predicts the chief.:cool:
Does Kemo agree with you?

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
DM = (either) Mozarella/Diarrhoea/Douchgel
AM = (either) Bollocks/Schwinehund/Himmler

Any combination of 1 AM and 1 DM from the above listed names would be amazing.

k-standred

Healthy, safe and neutered
Rams said:
DM = (either) Mozarella/Diarrhoea/Douchgel
AM = (either) Bollocks/Schwinehund/Himmler

Any combination of 1 AM and 1 DM from the above listed names would be amazing.
Imagine Butt and Diarrhoea in the middle...

blythy

Fascist Dictator
RedRonaldinho said:
If Gill has said there will be 2 major signings what standard of footballer do you think he is talking about.
I'll believe it when I see it.

Their idea of a 'major signing' has often conflicted with most of the fans ideas in the past.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
ballack,nolan or de rossi as AM and diarra as DM never seen mascherano play so cant really say if he is good enough.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Two central midfielders. One the type how people are describing Mascherano and Diarra. The other maybe a playmaker of sorts. The former is necessary, the latter wouldnt hurt.

thoward

It's not a lisp!
DA2 said:
I would prefer a slight variant - the biggest problem with 4-3-3 is that Rooney isnt in his ideal position. So I would like to see 4-2-3-1 which we have played before. Ideally I think we should by 2 CMs, Diarra and Mascherano would be great - an AM does need buying but as long as Scholes is alright for the start of the season is less of a priority. I think Fortune will be sold and I see OShea being used as a utility defender hes not suited to midfield. This leaves Fletch as our only real CM and poss Smith - we need 2 defensively orientated midfielders to provide options and cover.
Perhaps not about Rooney being in his ideal position in a 4-3-3 but he did very well there in many matches for United, man of the match performances at times. One thing with Rooney is that since Scholes last played hes only scored twice as he has to go even deeper and try and helpmake up for the creativity that United are missing with Scholes out of the side so he can't get forward quite as much. And Scholes for about 6,7 weeks before he last played was playing consistently well.

RedRonaldinho

Danielle De Rossi is the one we need. He is more available than the players that are already recognised as the best in the world but he is about to make this grade. He would be an ideal buy for our midfield.

Alilaw

RedRonaldinho said:
Danielle De Rossi is the one we need. He is more available than the players that are already recognised as the best in the world but he is about to make this grade. He would be an ideal buy for our midfield.
I thought De Rossi was a huge Roma fan? Why is he suddenly 'available'?

RedRonaldinho

Alilaw said:
I thought De Rossi was a huge Roma fan? Why is he suddenly 'available'?
Can you not read properly. I said he is more available than players already recognised as the best in the world in their positions.

skeeta

Yet another rambling idiot
Our immediate concern should be our eye of needle football in the final third. This is forcing us to get width from the FBs, because our offense is becoming too one dimensional. Today, most of the more decisive plays seem to come from the sides/wings. This is something United does little of. Essentially what I'm saying is that Evra has to play for offensive width. United aren't nearly as effective without the constant attacking presence down both flanks.

Stretching the field and defense unclutters the middle of the pitch would aid Rooney and Scholes runs well.