Future Manager Speculation

RedorDead21

Pretty clear he wants out at this stage. For an intelligent guy no other explanation for his recent behaviour.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I have even less faith in the club's ability to pick a good replacement for Mourinho than I do in Mourinho himself. No idea who we would hire.

What I am fairly sure of though is that anyone we do appoint would want the club to spend a lot more money, because that's simply what's needed to catch City. So if money is the problem then a new manager isn't the solution.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Yeah....
Let’s see Fergie try with Pep’s monster squad then we can all talk. We all saw how Jose’s monster squad of 04-06 blew Fergie’s side away until the club had to do some smart business.
Once again you are showing that you are a Jose fan first and a Manchester United fan second.

Jose has always been a chequebook manager. He’s not even fit to lace the boots of Sir Alex.

Drz

I have even less faith in the club's ability to pick a good replacement for Mourinho than I do in Mourinho himself. No idea who we would hire.

What I am fairly sure of though is that anyone we do appoint would want the club to spend a lot more money, because that's simply what's needed to catch City. So if money is the problem then a new manager isn't the solution.
The first step to getting there is to play good intelligent football, or even playing as a cohesive unit for that matter (in attack and in defense). There are teams with a poorer roster than ours that play better as a team, ie Sevilla. Once we have achieved that, we can address bringing in uber-quality players that fit the mould and can take us up a level or two.

Judas

Open to offers
Unless we're bottom half come say new year time, I think it's safe to say he'll be here for the whole of next season.

If I was a betting man, I'd say this'll be his last season, but thats mostly to do with how he's acting, how he's coming across in the media, and the feeling he's putting out there, we've seen it from him before, and we know where it usually leads.

Who would replace him? No idea, who knows what managers will be available this time next year. I'll be genuinely sad Jose hasn't worked out though, really wanted him to last with us for many many years, but I can't say I've enjoyed it too much, first season was fun, last season was hard work.

Son Of Sam

Once again you are showing that you are a Jose fan first and a Manchester United fan second.

Jose has always been a chequebook manager. He’s not even fit to lace the boots of Sir Alex.
That is not the argument!

It’s crazy how you managed to reply what I didn’t say and label me a Jose fan in one fell swoop.

Einstein, is that you?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The first step to getting there is to play good intelligent football, or even playing as a cohesive unit for that matter (in attack and in defense). There are teams with a poorer roster than ours that play better as a team, ie Sevilla. Once we have achieved that, we can address bringing in uber-quality players that fit the mould and can take us up a level or two.
Sure but again that would involve hiring the right manager first. How much faith do you really have in Woodward et al to do just that off the back of three failures? Clearly it's easier said than done.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Jardim only takes care of the first team, he doesn't organize transfers, scouting or promotions. And he is very pragmatic, if his best players are attackers he will ask his team to attack and if his team is mainly made of good defenders he will defend. He is good with young players but also veterans.
Sounds like a great choice to me. Works with what he has and the club would be forced to get a DOF. They'll have to anyways, most managers work with one.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Just find it funny that people who can't stand Mou's football would be happy with Mr Max "if you want entertainment go watch a movie" Allegri

Son Of Sam

You are highlighting players that could play in multiple positions.

Rooney was a CF/CAM player who players as a ST, CF, CAM, LAM, and when he lost his legs CM.
Ronaldo was a RW who was able to progress by utilising his stronger foot on the other side. He was able to play occasionaly as a striker.

These players were playing in these positions but were world class in one or two positions only - positions that were correctly made for them.

I am not comparing Martial & Rashford to these players (one you bought was Ronaldo considered the greatest football player of all time) - but neither have they had a manager like SAF who attempts to get them to play football in their best positions.

Playing Martial and Rashford as LW is the same as playing Rooney or Ronaldo as RW for a whole season - it just is stupid and would have a significantly worse season that adapting the tactics to allow them to play in their best positions. Sure they might have done it for one or two games a season but did they do it for 2 seasons on a row and met expectations playing as a RW primarily supplying crosses for a target man. I dont think so

There is no perspective needed. As I have said already - look at Sterling for England and look at him for city. That is the difference when tactics are adapted to get the best out of players and if Sterling is knocking them in for City then there is absolutely no reason why I should not believe that martial & rashford cannot do that for united under a different manager.

Martial and Rashford for city under Pep would be right in that position where sterling and gabriel jesus is doing the exact same thing - the difference in quality is absolutely minimal & id even argue we have the better players. so to say that they do not have the ability to lead a line of United's is wrong.

City managed to play with 3 forwards last season not 2 wingers and Aguero - thats something to remember. If they could do that with the likes of sterling and Sane playing like forwards there is no reason why we cant. Its simply why we cant; its because jose is simply incapable of playing football without a target man and as i have said before - playing football in this day an age being a target man is easily easily replaceable by two forwards playing in partnership that can take their men on.

There is no overrating of Martial and Rashford as a striking partnership if the whole team was built to play that way. Yet as we saw with Sanchez and mata playing in partnership - the team is functioning consiquently to play target man football and they struggled to reach the balls that were hoofed up to them.

Under the right manager, under a different club Rashford and Martial would be deadly; we are currently under a manger who does not care for their weaknesses nor strengths. The same goes for Lukaku who is purely made to play as a target man due to his physicality - not due to his footballing ability. A managers role is to unearth the best abilities of players and amplify them by various footballing methods, partners and tactics - what we get is absolutely not even closely comparable to SAF's role in Rooney and Ronaldo's development. It's more similair to if SAF would have continured to play RVN upfront and let Rooney and ronaldo just play criss cross all over the pitch to their target man.

No perspective needed.
You managed to destroy your own argument by referring to Sterling/Pep. I think you live in a bubble.

Tactics can only be adapted to get the best out of players when the club’s board is willing to do clearouts.....Managers are given a free hand to buy players that suit his tactical approach and weed off those who can never suit to it

How come Guardiola’s brilliant omiscient tactical nous failed to land him a title in his first season? Why didn’t the tactics work with Nolito, Zabaleta, Clichy and Sagna? Yes - that’s what you fail to realise.

Has Jose been given such freedom to move out the deadweights and build his own team? No. He’s bought only 9 players of which 2 have since left. So you cannot really compare Jose to Pep in their respective clubs. Attempting to compare them is a deluded argument.

Jose Mourinho has always loved his centre forward to be a bully with a huge presence in the box e.g. Drogba, Benzema, Milito, Lukaku, Costa, Ibra, etc. Rashford & Martial simply don’t fit into that breed. They have no presence in the box.

If the United board are oblivious to this simple fact then the blame is at their doorstep. I knew what to expect when Jose was hired, did you? If the United board does not want this style of football, why hire Jose?

You cannot buy a black & white TV and expect it to display the quality of HDTV by a magic wand. You should have bought the HDTV in the first place. Martial/Rashford are not Jose’s kind of centre forwards unless they start hitting the gym now and hope to get there by 2022.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Just find it funny that people who can't stand Mou's football would be happy with Mr Max "if you want entertainment go watch a movie" Allegri
Didn't capello said that as a pundit?:lol:

Sounds like a great choice to me. Works with what he has and the club would be forced to get a DOF. They'll have to anyways, most managers work with one.
Unlike a lot of pretend pragmatist, he is actually true to it, he just wants to win attacking or defending isn't a problem for him. He loves set pieces though.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Dont care about getting a proven name really. Think the squad overall would be receptive to a change in mentality and someone who wants to play attacking football with a bit of freedom. Managers are always situational anyway. Arsenal always played with freedom but always could have used some pragmatism. They would love someone like Mourinho to come in and grind out results to punch above their weight. We've been awful to watch for years so we want excitement. After Fergie retired it was an almost impossible job as we needed to be successful, be attacking, give youth a chance, etc while someone that would come in and command respect from a squad that played under the best manager ever. After Mourinho, I suspect theyll appreciate getting some attacking freedom and a more positive approach.

Look at Zidane. Dont think hes some special tactician or manager, but he was a figure they all respected, the club respected, he understood what the players needed and just let them get on with it. Sometimes that's all you need to make the step up. Put Mourinho at Madrid the last 3 seasons and there would be constant unrest, despite nobody dating to argue that Zidane is a better tactician then Mourinho.

So basically... dont give a feck what big name is out there. Give me someone who will provide a fresh approach and playing style that gets the fans excited again. Yhe players will in turn enjoy themselves more and believe in themselves more and that just breeds positivity.

berbasloth4

The squad actually isnt too bad if used the right way..

Laurent blanc could come in and get that team going.

Jazz

Unlike a lot of pretend pragmatist, he is actually true to it, he just wants to win attacking or defending isn't a problem for him. He loves set pieces though.
I would be all for him mate. We should have tried to pry him away before the start of this season but our board loves dithering.
The only thing is I've read he's on the 'quiet side'. Think the attention United gets would be a shock to his system. However, after all this drama, I would very much appreciate a manager who only says what he needs to and just gets on with the job.

JPRouve

Scout
I would be all for him mate. We should have tried to pry him away before the start of this season but our board loves dithering.
The only thing is I've read he's on the 'quiet side'. Think the attention United gets would be a shock to his system. However, after all this drama, I would very much appreciate a manager who only says what he needs to and just gets on with the job.
Yeah, not only he doesn't talk much but he doesn't smile either and always look sad or like he is thinking about something sad, he yells at players and send them to the stands when he is fed up. I can already see the british press being on his back.:lol:

IrishGlen

Okay, I’ll probably be lynched for this after the Moyes, LvG, Mourinho appointments & style of play, so get your pitchforks out however Diego Simeone would be my first choice. He’s basically “old Mourinho” without the sniping, alienation of players, arguments and constant moaning.

He would be very difficult to get him out of Madrid but I remember various media reports saying he would indeed be open to joining UTD.

99 percent of the forum will obviously have progressive & entertaining football extremely high on any list when discussing Mou replacement and it’s completely understandable but if Mou was to leave next May and even if there was the slightest possibility of Simeone, I feel we’d have to go for it.

I just hope this will be an off season discussion because if we’re sacking Mourinho mid season, we will probably be languishing in mid table ala Chelsea 15/16. In that case, we would probably just give it to an famous ex player until the end of the season. This is my first time posting in the mains so can anyone help me out here? “Give it Neville bros until end of t’season” or is it “Give it Scholesly until end of t’season” ?

Garethw

That is not the argument!

It’s crazy how you managed to reply what I didn’t say and label me a Jose fan in one fell swoop.

Einstein, is that you?
There is nothing wrong in being a Jose fan. I was a big Jose fan myself before he joined us.

It’s just the incessant need to defend Jose at every turn that is grating.

You said that our greatest ever manager wouldn’t be able to beat last seasons city side. Well guess what, if SAF had been given the money to spend that Jose has these last two years, then I’d have backed him to not only beat City to the title but I believe that we would have won the CL too!

Sir Alex had the unique ability of getting 20%-30% more from a squad of players. Could you say the same about Mourinho?

Putting down Sir Alex’s achievements to try and justify Mourinho’s short comings isn’t going to go down well with a lot of fans.

Garethw

Anyone who at least plays attacking football and doesn't resent being the manager of Manchester United.
Agreed! I just want to enjoy watching the team play again.

Despite what many will have you believe, we have a fantastic squad that I’m sure is capable of playing some fantastic football.

We might not be at City’s level, but the shit on a stick football is down to the managers tactics. We play this way because he wants us too.

Hughie77

Bookies fav for first prem manager to get the tin tack..who we bring in If he does?. The board should know how this guy operates. Transfers have been slow. But saying that we need The right players in not just anyone. If we get a decent cb in by next week. Thats it.. can see him going though..

Drz

Sure but again that would involve hiring the right manager first. How much faith do you really have in Woodward et al to do just that off the back of three failures? Clearly it's easier said than done.
It is a good question if I trust the board to make the right appointment, for me in particular as I never liked Mourinho and was against the appointment.
Despite that I don't know, I tried to see the pro-mourinho camp's "CV" argument post appointment and just hoped for the best, reasoning that the board had that in mind as well. Honestly, I didn't question the board's decision making more than that.

But now that you have me thinking...
The longer it takes, the more I feel we are an odd beast to tame. The personality of the manager is going to be as important as his skills and previous achievements. In that sense it is normal that it will be a difficult task to find the right fit, the board has to gamble, so far they have played it safe. So I guess they are still unlikely to get it right, however I would rather pick up a box I don't know the contents of in lieu of a box that stinks.

Son Of Sam

There is nothing wrong in being a Jose fan. I was a big Jose fan myself before he joined us.

It’s just the incessant need to defend Jose at every turn that is grating.

You said that our greatest ever manager wouldn’t be able to beat last seasons city side. Well guess what, if SAF had been given the money to spend that Jose has these last two years, then I’d have backed him to not only beat City to the title but I believe that we would have won the CL too!

Sir Alex had the unique ability of getting 20%-30% more from a squad of players. Could you say the same about Mourinho?

Putting down Sir Alex’s achievements to try and justify Mourinho’s short comings isn’t going to go down well with a lot of fans.
He wouldn’t have been able to do it. City finished the season with 100 points - unprecedented in the PL. Let’s not mix emotions with facts. With the current bunch of players, it’s a testament to Jose’s brilliant management that we managed to finish above Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Don't know about Capello. Allegri said it several times, pretty much after every truly soul-destroying 1-0 win(and there have been many, many, many of those....juventus went 5 months last season playing the kind of football that would've had the caf pine for the good ol' Van Gaal days)

Now the good thing about Allegri is that while his instincts skew heavily towards defence, he's a real pragmatist and will adapt to the team AND club. If say the club demanded entertaining football, he'd try. Ultimately he cares about fulfilling his employer's wishes rather than winning

Infra-red

Bookies fav for first prem manager to get the tin tack..who we bring in If he does?. The board should know how this guy operates. Transfers have been slow. But saying that we need The right players in not just anyone. If we get a decent cb in by next week. Thats it.. can see him going though..
We won't get anyone in. If he goes, it'll be some interim option from the current staff, the season will be a write-off, and the new guy next summer will want 2-3 years to shift Mourinho's signings and spend 100s of millions building his own squad before maybe mounting a challenge in 2021/22.

Castia

Giggs till end o’t season.
Why are people falling for the "He's unhappy" crap? That's all rubbish the media are spewing out, he's not happy in the press conferences because he doesn't like doing them, it's that simple.

This is Jose we’re talking about he does the same shit time and time again, I’ve got money on him walking before November.

The board knows it too that’s why they aren’t spending 75m on a 30 year old Willian and from the sounds of it refusing Jose’s request to sell Martial.

JPRouve

Scout
Don't know about Capello. Allegri said it several times, pretty much after every truly soul-destroying 1-0 win(and there have been many, many, many of those....juventus went 5 months last season playing the kind of football that would've had the caf pine for the good ol' Van Gaal days)

Now the good thing about Allegri is that while his instincts skew heavily towards defence, he's a real pragmatist and will adapt to the team AND club. If say the club demanded entertaining football, he'd try. Ultimately he cares about fulfilling his employer's wishes rather than winning
It sounds a lot like Jardim, I have a lot more respect for these coaches. At the end of the day, they are actually good at coaching, it's not just about thriving under ideal conditions, they try to create the conditions to win with what they have.

Tom Van Persie

No relation

He was hardly a chequebook manager when he was conquering Europe with Porto and Inter!

edgar allan

You managed to destroy your own argument by referring to Sterling/Pep. I think you live in a bubble.

Tactics can only be adapted to get the best out of players when the club’s board is willing to do clearouts.....Managers are given a free hand to buy players that suit his tactical approach and weed off those who can never suit to it

How come Guardiola’s brilliant omiscient tactical nous failed to land him a title in his first season? Why didn’t the tactics work with Nolito, Zabaleta, Clichy and Sagna? Yes - that’s what you fail to realise.

Has Jose been given such freedom to move out the deadweights and build his own team? No. He’s bought only 9 players of which 2 have since left. So you cannot really compare Jose to Pep in their respective clubs. Attempting to compare them is a deluded argument.

Jose Mourinho has always loved his centre forward to be a bully with a huge presence in the box e.g. Drogba, Benzema, Milito, Lukaku, Costa, Ibra, etc. Rashford & Martial simply don’t fit into that breed. They have no presence in the box.

If the United board are oblivious to this simple fact then the blame is at their doorstep. I knew what to expect when Jose was hired, did you? If the United board does not want this style of football, why hire Jose?

You cannot buy a black & white TV and expect it to display the quality of HDTV by a magic wand. You should have bought the HDTV in the first place. Martial/Rashford are not Jose’s kind of centre forwards unless they start hitting the gym now and hope to get there by 2022.
Only 9 players?. 10 inc Sanchez?
How many more do you think he needs to create a team that can play some attacking football?

Nikelesh Reddy

We won't get anyone in. If he goes, it'll be some interim option from the current staff, the season will be a write-off, and the new guy next summer will want 2-3 years to shift Mourinho's signings and spend 100s of millions building his own squad before maybe mounting a challenge in 2021/22.
Exactly.Some folks on here seem to think that we can just get rid of Jose and we”ll just magically end up in the land of milk and honey.If he were to leave midway through the season,our entire season will end up being written off.There won’t be too many great options available next summer as well...

We just have to pray that Jose gets it right this season.If he doesn’t,then we”ll have to start rebuilding under a new manager for the next 2-3 years...Let’s all get behind Jose for atleast this season,let’s see how the season pans out and we can then take stock next summer...

Son Of Sam

Only 9 players?. 10 inc Sanchez?
How many more do you think he needs to create a team that can play some attacking football?
How many did Pep need to win the premier league in style....(Considering the fact that Pep already inherited David Silva, KDB, Aguero, Sterling, Fernandinho)?

You have 120 seconds to answer....tick tock...tick tock

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Always thought this season is gonna go one of two ways:
  1. We win the league or
  2. Jose has a melt down and leaves
if the latter happens my first choice would be Pochettino, failing that Jardim

Garethw

He wouldn’t have been able to do it. City finished the season with 100 points - unprecedented in the PL. Let’s not mix emotions with facts. With the current bunch of players, it’s a testament to Jose’s brilliant management that we managed to finish above Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea.
Jose’s brilliant management? Now I know you’re winding me up :D

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
I genuinely think if we do bring in a CB and RW then we'll challenge for the league and he'll be here for another two years at least.

If we don't make those signings, things probably will boil over and he'll leave by the end of the season. And then the caf will be in for a very rude awakening on just what life is like without a top tier manager indeed.

edgar allan

How many did Pep need to win the premier league in style....(Considering the fact that Pep already inherited David Silva, KDB, Aguero, Sterling, Fernandinho)?

You have 120 seconds to answer....tick tock...tick tock
And what did everyone say about Pep needing to spend a fortune and bring in lots of players to gain success??

You have 120 seconds to answer.......

Jazz

Yeah, not only he doesn't talk much but he doesn't smile either and always look sad or like he is thinking about something sad, he yells at players and send them to the stands when he is fed up. I can already see the british press being on his back.:lol:
He can send the British press to the stands:lol:
I'd take him. Nothing wrong with yelling at the players as long as they know you do it to make them better. Heck even Martial had no problem when LVG shouted at him as he said himself he did it for his own good. I would think Jardim shouted at him as well:D

As long as he doesn't publicly drag the players and they feel they can trust him, then let him come.

Toad

Shame really that Jose’s performance is being scrutinised based on a pre-season tour. I think the media are completely blowing a lot of this out of the water, albeit the rants.

There is not a single reason he should be happy at the moment. He is under a lot of pressure with injuries, transfers, media and fans on his back. None of which is actually his fault yet he has got the shitty end of the stick as usual.

Bottom line is - His tactics are shit with his current squad, they may actually be shit altogether no matter who plays for him. But you guys are actually picking a new manager when he is currently still in post with the above pressure on him. No wonder he goes off into a rant and has negative comments all the time.

/rant

edgar allan

Shame really that Jose’s performance is being scrutinised based on a pre-season tour. I think the media are completely blowing a lot of this out of the water, albeit the rants.

There is not a single reason he should be happy at the moment. He is under a lot of pressure with injuries, transfers, media and fans on his back. None of which is actually his fault yet he has got the shitty end of the stick as usual.

Bottom line is - His tactics are shit with his current squad, they may actually be shit altogether no matter who plays for him. But you guys are actually picking a new manager when he is currently still in post with the above pressure on him. No wonder he goes off into a rant and has negative comments all the time.

/rant
First he could try to defuse the situation rather than add fuel to the fire with his constant complaining. Yes it is only pre-season and he should be talking the team and prospects up.
Second he has spent hugely in the transfer market, brought in 10 players in 2 years,has a world cup winner coming back, he should be very happy.
Third- he is responsible for the success or lack off this season, this is the time to deliver.

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool
Think you'll opt for a proven manager and land Conte.