Future of right winger position

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Is it done now? Will we buy another right winger? We have Greenwood as first choice and we have two 18y old players who we bought for 30 (up to 50 mil). Sure, they both are 18y old but it is an age where you start slowly playing in first team and rumours are that they both go straight in first team.
If we buy Sancho or Dembele next year for example then with that new rw and Greenwood on rw, Diallo and Pellistri will never get a chance on that position so the question would be why we bought them.

I don't know what to think about it tbh. I wanted new rw as we all did but i am trying to understand our situation now regarding that position.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We have to buy another right winger imo. Diallo, Pellistri and Greenwood are all very young and should be able to play multiple positions. But we do need that one RW we can rely on for the next 3-4 years. I like giving youth a chance but you can't completely give up on titles for the foreseeable future by handing starting positions to players with no real experience in a big league

amolbhatia50k

Just to add I think our wing options should ideally be this

Rashford
New RW
Greenwood (eventually given more time at CF)
Traore
Pellistri
James (to be sold depending on peformances)

That's not too many options given two are 18, two are strikers and one is Daniel James. And it depends on the two young ones actually making it

mewnew11

I think we are done with the right wing. Not saying we won't bring Jadon . Jadon can play multiple positions .

But I am damn excited to see these kids play and develop. It's what Manchester United is all about

jackal&hyde

Ideally we are done here because it would mean one or both of them are doing great. It's really hard to say; we could loan one out and keep the other mostly in the u23 for a season or they could do a Rashford/Greenwood and go straight in to the team. We will only really know by the end of the season imo; the talent is there for sure.

Tarrou

we went about 8 years without buying one, now we've bought two and have Greenwood

we're not buying another one

UpWithRivers

Lingard will get a new 150 a week contract. Him and Mata and James will be back ups for Greenwood. The others are maybes if we get lucky for 3 years down the line. Or if the stars align and a fairy grants us a magic wish one of them could be the new Messi and come straight into the team and kick but. I doubt it though.

amolbhatia50k

Ideally we are done here because it would mean one or both of them are doing great. It's really hard to say; we could loan one out and keep the other mostly in the u23 for a season or they could do a Rashford/Greenwood and go straight in to the team. We will only really know by the end of the season imo; the talent is there for sure.
we went about 8 years without buying one, now we've bought two and have Greenwood

we're not buying another one
Would love for it to work out this way but if that's the case either we are
  • expecting Traore to soon become a top class player (establishing him as or we are displaying a lack of ambition. Usually only a handful of players in a generation reach the kind of level Traore would have to by the time he's 20/21, that we need him to do, to mount a challenge
  • letting the RW be a work in progress position while we upgrade other areas to the standard required
  • comfortable with just watching Liverpool and City sweep everything up for the foreseeable future
Maybe Greenwood will end up with a right winger only and a top class one at that very soon. Maybe Traore is one of those special talents who at 20/21 is better than most established stars. But it is definitely a risk given Martial and Rashford are also young and looking to establish themselves as top players, themselves.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Greenwood will eventually move to CF and compete with Martial for the position. Diallo and Pellistri will probably compete to play with the first team this season, and I can see one of them being shoved out left sometimes to get minutes.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I understand going for Sancho as it would mean securing England's forward line for the next decade. However do we really need Sancho now? We've got Greenwood firing on all cylinders from RW + two very promising wingers. If one of them settles down then the RW is settled for the next decade or so. I'd rather see us spend the serious dosh on a CB (or two) + a striker.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think Diallo is the long term option at RWF and I'm happy with that. I can also see us go back in for Sancho for the LWF role because I believe he will slot into the role comfortably.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Pellistri I don't see as a wing forward long term. He'll likely play in a attacking central role longterm IMO.

jackal&hyde

Pellistri I don't see as a wing forward long term. He'll likely play in a attacking central role longterm IMO.
You are thinking pace might be an issue? Not to compare the quality but he could be a Messi type forward that doesn't need blistering pace as he seems to have that quality of "casually" going past players as if they are not even there. He was described as not only exceptional at dribbling but very smart.

We are probably over rating the feck out of this kids but it sure is exciting :lol:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I question price. We bought two young strikers and two full backs also. But they came for one mil or less. They are bought for young team and what happens, happens.
But in these days where clubs fight for every million in transfers (Sancho, Depay, Smalling.....) i doubt that we invested 50 mil (i know that Diallo is 20+20) on two players for who we will see are they first team material or not. They both are bought to play. Maybe not this season much but next season they will surely be in A team.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
You are thinking pace might be an issue? Not to compare the quality but he could be a Messi type forward that doesn't need blistering pace as he seems to have that quality of "casually" going past players as if they are not even there. He was described as not only exceptional at dribbling but very smart.

We are probably over rating the feck out of this kids but it sure is exciting :lol:
Nothing to do with pace. But I see his skillset as someone that will constantly drift inside if deployed in a wider role similar to how Valencia used David Silva. Pellistri looks like someone that will be very dangerous centrally due to his close control, dribbling and passing/vision and it seems that is the opinion of people who have watched him at Penarol too. Tim Vickery described him as a attacking midfielder which makes sense when you watch his highlights.

Drainy

Just play Rashford on the right and Martial on the left.

Against a low block let Bruno and Marcus drop deeper to help the midfield and pick up the ball to create while Martial and Cavani are the threats in and around the box.

If the opposition push the line up then Martial and Cavani drop deeper to be the out ball for the press and Bruno / Rashford push up to break the line and counter

devilish

Just play Rashford on the right and Martial on the left.

Against a low block let Bruno and Marcus drop deeper to help the midfield and pick up the ball to create while Martial and Cavani are the threats in and around the box.

If the opposition push the line up then Martial and Cavani drop deeper to be the out ball for the press and Bruno / Rashford push up to break the line and counter
Greenwood is 10 times the RW Rashford is. If either Pellistri or Diallo can do well then the RW position is sorted. If both do well then the STK position is sorted as Greenwood would then move upfront.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It all depends how good Diallo and Pellistri are. Greenwood isn't going anywhere either. I would like to think we're sorted for the future but it's never that easy.

SiRed

I actually think Pellestri will end up playing in a kind of number 10 role. From my youtube scouting mission, it looks like he suits it.

amolbhatia50k

I understand going for Sancho as it would mean securing England's forward line for the next decade. However do we really need Sancho now? We've got Greenwood firing on all cylinders from RW + two very promising wingers. If one of them settles down then the RW is settled for the next decade or so. I'd rather see us spend the serious dosh on a CB (or two) + a striker.
I think every top team needs that one wide player who is their Hazard, Messi, Ronaldo, Mane/Salah etc figure. Greenwood is a stunning finisher and a special young player but I don't think he's in that category (stylistically). His best work is always closer to the goal. Sancho is that top 3-5 winger we should be adding to our team imo. You need one at least if you're going to be aiming to win big trophies in the future. Rashford is more of a second striker than a real winger.

Alemar

I actually think Pellestri will end up playing in a kind of number 10 role. From my youtube scouting mission, it looks like he suits it.
And where will Hannibal play then? He is also on the verge of breaking into the team

devilish

I think every top team needs that one wide player who is their Hazard, Messi, Ronaldo, Mane/Salah etc figure. Greenwood is a stunning finisher and a special young player but I don't think he's in that category (stylistically). His best work is always closer to the goal. Sancho is that top 3-5 winger we should be adding to our team imo. You need one at least if you're going to be aiming to win big trophies in the future. Rashford is more of a second striker than a real winger.
I remember having this same conversation (viceversa though) with my cousin regarding Paul Scholes. Scholes was born and bred to be a striker. He bagged tons of goals upfront at youth level. Also when Cantona got suspended he came in and did brilliantly there as well. So when Sir Alex moved him in midfield I thought we were a bunch of morons really. He got red carded during an early game there and I literally lost my shit.

In time I started to love PS's contribution in midfield however it would take me years to truly appreciate what a magnificent midfielder he was. It happened when JSV with us. JSV was a WC playmaker,. In Italy he was rated second only to Zidane. I was looking forward to see him with us as that meant moving Scholes in a more advanced role. It didn't work out the way it was planned and JSV's deficiencies highlighted the brilliance of our ginger prince. I got a lot of stick about this but if I had to choose between prime Scholes or prime Zidane, I'd choose the former. Paul is far more consistent then Zidane is.

Ultimately I learnt that if things go well then we shouldn't rock the boat. Greenwood might have been trained to be a striker but he made the RW his and honestly I think he's one of the best in that role. If Pellistri or/and Troare are able to give the manager something to think about then by all means lets move Greenwood upfront and see what happens. If it works then it would be great as we would have the forward line sorted for the next decade or so. Until then Id rather see Greenwood as a first teamer rather then on the bench.

SteveW

Is it done now? Will we buy another right winger? We have Greenwood as first choice and we have two 18y old players who we bought for 30 (up to 50 mil). Sure, they both are 18y old but it is an age where you start slowly playing in first team and rumours are that they both go straight in first team.
If we buy Sancho or Dembele next year for example then with that new rw and Greenwood on rw, Diallo and Pellistri will never get a chance on that position so the question would be why we bought them.

I don't know what to think about it tbh. I wanted new rw as we all did but i am trying to understand our situation now regarding that position.
I wouldn't waste your time worrying about it. Apparently Pellistri can play left, right or as a 10. Diallo looks more settled as a RW. If either show high quality this season I think we will probably move our focus to other positions as bigger priorities. We won't just keep signing right wingers if we don't need them anymore.

I'm excited to see how the new lads do. Perhaps we've found gems. As it is Greenwood is looking better by the day and will likely bang in 20+ from that position so things could be worse.

jackal&hyde

Nothing to do with pace. But I see his skillset as someone that will constantly drift inside if deployed in a wider role similar to how Valencia used David Silva. Pellistri looks like someone that will be very dangerous centrally due to his close control, dribbling and passing/vision and it seems that is the opinion of people who have watched him at Penarol too. Tim Vickery described him as a attacking midfielder which makes sense when you watch his highlights.
Those qualities work very well for wide forwards too, Messi, Neymar, Hazard etc. Arguably in modern football you see a lot less of the dribbling kind in the center.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
To be fair Sancho plays the same way on the right too, he rarely stays wide and crosses, he comes inside and plays 1-2's and attacks at the centre backs rather than the fullback.

pellestri seems to play a similar style.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
And where will Hannibal play then? He is also on the verge of breaking into the team
Hannibal isn't on the verge of breaking through IMO, not this season anyway. But I can see Hannibal playing in the double pivot long term and Pellistri as the central advanced playmaker or wide play maker.

bondsname

Solskjaer has always spoken highly of Greenwood's finishing ability and I think the plan is to ease him into a more central position. But until Diallo, Pellestri or James are proving to be capable of being a starter, RW position will be Greenwoods.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Those qualities work very well for wide forwards too, Messi, Neymar, Hazard etc. Arguably in modern football you see a lot less of the dribbling kind in the center.
It's upto the coach and his play style but I agree that he can easily slot in as a wide playmaker and that's where I see him playing in the immediate future.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
To be fair Sancho plays the same way on the right too, he rarely stays wide and crosses, he comes inside and plays 1-2's and attacks at the centre backs rather than the fullback.

pellestri seems to play a similar style.
I agree mate..

Giggsforever

Yeah, but he has blistering acceleration. His whole career so far has been on the right wing. I love watching South American players with their smooth ball control just breezing past players.

Alemar

Hannibal isn't on the verge of breaking through IMO, not this season anyway. But I can see Hannibal playing in the double pivot long term and Pellistri as the central advanced playmaker or wide play maker.
Breaking through doesn’t mean becoming a starter, so why shouldn’t Hannibal get some off the bench appearances to start with? He is doing very well in reserves

SiRed

Horses for courses mate, Squad game these days. Who's to say either will be good enough to be a regular starter.

SteveW

Hannibal is at least a year away from being first team ready imo. Probably 2 from being ready to play regularly. Great talent but he's still just 17 and has heaps to improve on.

When he does potentially break through in a couple of years I wouldn't actually envisage him being a 10. His skill set looks more suited to a deeper role imo.

SteveW

Breaking through doesn’t mean becoming a starter, so why shouldn’t Hannibal get some off the bench appearances to start with? He is doing very well in reserves
Right now he's not good enough for the first team.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He's not on the verge of doing that either mate. But I can see him get minutes at some stage this season but he will need to improve upon his last few performances in the 23s which I expect him to do.

Alemar

Right now he's not good enough for the first team.
Well, seeing that we have players like James, Lingard and McTominay featuring for the first team on a regular basis (neither of whom performs well), it would be a worrying thing to know if Mejbri is worse than all those :(

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Greenwood is a very talented player, but he is absolutely not a right winger. He is a right forward, emphasis heavily on forward (I would put this in caps but redcafe give out warnings for that for some reason) He doesn’t create much for his teammates, his future is upfront. If he doesn’t score, he doesn’t offer much.