Gabriel Jesus | Arsenal

padr81

Supports
Man City
@Gentleman Jim - Ah cool, hopefully Messi feels the same and that's why he was quizzing Maffeo during the game the last night.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
@Gentleman Jim - Ah cool, hopefully Messi feels the same and that's why he was quizzing Maffeo during the game the last night.
He's taken a healthy interest in us these last couple of years but I'm sure that it's 98% certain that he irons out his issues and stays at Barca.
The two clubs have been sniffing around each other's youth squads, though.
We've nicked Eric Garcia and targeted Xavi Simons as there is a feeling that their Academy is not the force it was.

https://www.mcfcwatch.com/2017/09/1...class-13-year-old-barcelona-sensation-report/

The City involvement in Girona up the road is another irritant to Barca.

For their part Barca President Bartomeu has been stirring the pot regarding City's ownership
https://www.mcfcwatch.com/2017/09/0...y-and-psg-are-distorting-the-transfer-market/

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
I posted that link earlier in the thread but the response was "ah, The Express. They make it up."
The point being that City scouted him, approached him and brokered a deal before United and the other clubs who were in for him got out of First Gear.
A personal call from Pep also gave some impetus to the bid.
Think that's the only reason he's here, to be honest. Very hard to believe he'd have turned Barcelona for us otherwise, especially as a young Brazilian. The appeal of Pep is huge, Mendy is another one who seems had made his choice to come to City largely because of who was managing us.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
Think that's the only reason he's here, to be honest. Very hard to believe he'd have turned Barcelona for us otherwise, especially as a young Brazilian. The appeal of Pep is huge, Mendy is another one who seems had made his choice to come to City largely because of who was managing us.
Pep studied the methods of Ferguson and is putting some of them in motion at City.
Personal interventions were something of a speciality of his.
Pep steals from the best.

RooneyLegend

Interesting comparison Pep made today of Jesus to Eto'O, there are definitely similarities
I did feel that Eto'o was stronger on the ball though and a better all round better finisher. The decision to sell Eto'o is still one of the biggest shocks I've ever seen by a coach, especially to swap him for a striker like Ibra who didn't suit the Barca game.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
I did feel that Eto'o was stronger on the ball though and a better all round better finisher. The decision to sell Eto'o is still one of the biggest shocks I've ever seen by a coach, especially to swap him for a striker like Ibra who didn't suit the Barca game.
Give the lad a chance he’s only 20, Jesus is strong on the ball for his age. I still actually think his finishing can be a little suspect. I’d never be completely confident of him in a 1v1 situation for example, still needs to gain a bit of composure in front of goal.

TotalFootballOne

Eto'o himself said he called Pep a nobody in training and said who does he think is to tell him how to play he's never been a striker, so it's clearly there is more to his selling then just what we hear.

Rajma

Have to say, apart from his movement (which is top quality in fairness), I don't think he's that special.
Same here, I really hope that Aguero leaves them this summer as per rumours, since he's twice the player Jesus is and they will struggle for goals without him imo.

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
Have to say, apart from his movement (which is top quality in fairness), I don't think he's that special.
His pressing is the best out of all the centre forwards and his close control is good. The thing is I think he is the perfect striker for Pep Guardiola as he does everything to the letter. His problem at the moment is that he is not trying things out of the box like he used to do with Palmeiras.

He creates numerical superiroities be it centrally or in the flanks, is flexible and can play any of the front 3 roles and he is the best forward at pressing centre backs. He covers passing lanes. Aguero might score more goals individually but with Gabriel Jesus, Manchester City will score more goals overall as a team even if he getwas goals.

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
Same here, I really hope that Aguero leaves them this summer as per rumours, since he's twice the player Jesus is and they will struggle for goals without him imo.
Except Agueros finishing has generally been poor since Pep Guardiola came and is the main reason Monco went through missing 3 one vs ones in the second leg.

His only elite asset was his finishing and that has long gone perhaps due to lethargy from having to press and not just wait around the box for tap ins. Gabriel Jesus is 100% better for the team and thEY score more goals, defend better and keep the ball better with him in the side. Sterling has more goals than Aguero so how are City struggling for goals exactly? Baffling comment.

Rajma

His pressing is the best out of all the centre forwards and his close control is good. The thing is I think he is the perfect striker for Pep Guardiola as he does everything to the letter. His problem at the moment is that he is not trying things out of the box like he used to do with Palmeiras.

He creates numerical superiroities be it centrally or in the flanks, is flexible and can play any of the front 3 roles and he is the best forward at pressing centre backs. He covers passing lanes. Aguero might score more goals individually but with Gabriel Jesus, Manchester City will score more goals overall as a team even if he getwas goals.
Highly doubt that, he's easy to mark out from the game when on his own and doesn't seem to have much of the x factor around him as well that all top strikers have, you really underrate (hopefully Pep too) what value Aguero brings to the team.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
This is what I've been thinking all season long. His best attribute seems to be his knack or instincts to always be in the right place at the right time. That is of course a great ability to have but many in the media fawn over him like he's this spectacular player. I swear it seems like 99% of his goals for City have been tap ins inside the 6 yard box.

I think any decent poacher would look great and score loads of goals in this City team. Likewise, I don't think Jesus would look nearly as good in another team.

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
Highly doubt that, he's easy to mark out from the game when on his own and doesn't seem to have much of the x factor around him as well that all top strikers have, you really underrate (hopefully Pep too) what value Aguero brings to the team.
Except Manchester City hav played better when Gabriel Jesus is starting and that is not underrating it is just a fact. All metric point to it and the eye test confirms it. Kun Aguero will be good for another team but Gabriel Jesus is better for Guardiola's tactics.

What x factor does Lewandowski have? Cavani? Even Luis Suarez has been poor for over a season and a half missing pitiful chances. Aguero is better for smaller teams when they open up, Gabriel Jesus is far more effective against the big teams. It's no coincidence Kun Aguero came off against Tottenham and then Manchester City went on to score 4 goals even with Gabriel Jesus missing a penalty. The teams performance went up another level.

Rajma

Except Agueros finishing has generally been poor since Pep Guardiola came and is the main reason Monco went through missing 3 one vs ones in the second leg.

His only elite asset was his finishing and that has long gone perhaps due to lethargy from having to press and not just wait around the box for tap ins. Gabriel Jesus is 100% better for the team and thEY score more goals, defend better and keep the ball better with him in the side. Sterling has more goals than Aguero so how are City struggling for goals exactly? Baffling comment.
Aguero averages goal & assist every 79min this season, while Jesus record so far is 112min - pretty significant difference, and as you keep mentioning he's not even on the song this season with the missed chances, which he can start converting anytime as he's done in the past. What exactly is baffling here?

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
Aguero averages goal & assist every 79min this season, while Jesus record so far is 112min - pretty significant difference, and as you keep mentioning he's not even on the song this season with the missed chances, which he can start converting anytime as he's in the past. What exactly is baffling here?
Becuase his conversion rate has been like that since Pep Guardiola joined. Again Aguero will score more individually but the team will play better, score more as well and defend better if Gabriel Jesus starts.
Gabriel Jesus is far better for Pep Guardiola's system. Jesus is also better at retaining the ball and overloading areas.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
Jesus is not special, Agüero is not clinical, Sterling.. I don't rate him either.
City defence is not that good.
So it's down to Guardiola? @FCBarca?

Imagine if City buy better attackers and defenders.

Rajma

Except Manchester City hav played better when Gabriel Jesus is starting and that is not underrating it is just a fact. All metric point to it and the eye test confirms it. Kun Aguero will be good for another team but Gabriel Jesus is better for Guardiola's tactics.

What x factor does Lewandowski have? Cavani? Even Luis Suarez has been poor for over a season and a half missing pitiful chances. Aguero is better for smaller teams when they open up, Gabriel Jesus is far more effective against the big teams. It's no coincidence Kun Aguero came off against Tottenham and then Manchester City went on to score 4 goals even with Gabriel Jesus missing a penalty. The teams performance went up another level.
You really are a clown with the hard-on for Pep. The strikers you've highlighted have been doing it for years and scoring all kind of imaginable goals out of nowhere, same goes for Aguero. Gabriel Jesus still has all to prove to be classified anywhere near that level.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
@LuisNaniencia Special is subjective, not sure how you mean it. I think the potential for Jesus is incredible - remember, he's still just 20 years old and been a year in the Premiership. He has great maturity and I did not expect this sort of start to his career eventhough I was pretty certain he had a better future ahead of him than Gabigol

Kun is a weak link, as odd as that sounds and why he won't be at City for much longer IMHO + it explains the pursuit of Alexis

Not sure even what your metric for defense being good is when City's defense has given up the fewest goals and shots on goal. They are 15 pts ahead, apparently the largest gap in December between 1st & 2nd in the Premiership - ever

Mendy will be back as will Stones but they will surely fortify with a central defender and DM over the next year

IrishRedDevil

Do you mean out of all the centre forwards in the league? I'd say Firmino is better at pressing than Jesus.

'He's not trying things out of the box like he used to'. Is that code for he is playing average this season, apart from his movement and pressing?
That's the original point I made.

You can make the point about City playing better as a team, but as a focal striker Jesus is also there to score goals. Of course City in this current fine form have other players throughout the team chipping in with goals, like Sterling tonight, but when things aren't going exactly to plan you need to rely on your focal striker for the goals. Personally I'd be very glad if they sold Aguero and made Jesus their main man long term, as I don't think he can score the somewhat unexpected goals like Aguero did many times over the years.

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
You really are a clown with the hard-on for Pep. The strikers you've highlighted have been doing it for years and scoring all kind of imaginable goals out of nowhere, same goes for Aguero. Gabriel Jesus still has all to prove to be classified anywhere near that level.
Kun Aguero today is not the same Kun Aguero that came from Atletico de Madrid. That Aguero was a different animal. Today, after all his inuries, he is not as clinical, he is selfish, opens up less passing options for his teammates and doesn't run to create space for his teammates. Today, Gabriel Jesus is better for Manchester City's system than Kun Aguero. It's patently obvious and if you watch City and observe their movement instead of getting overly emotional using Aguero's performance from yesteryears to justify him starting for Pep, you would see it as well.

Ask any Barcelona fan, Luis Suarez has been poor for about a season and a half. He even stopped contributing to the build up as everything he touched went astray and he constantly ruined attacking moves. His form has picked up recently but we are taking about the Suarez of TODAY, not the Luis Suarez of 13/14 or his first 2 seasons at Barcelona. He doesn't have the x factor and is heavily team dependant.

Cavani? The same Cavani that needs 5 chances to score and is the reason Barcelona could stage a comeback last year because he missed 3 clear cut chances? What X factor does he have? He is probably the most heavily team dependent striker out ofbthe afformentioned and he can't dribble in one vs ones.

As for Lewandowski, bar the Dortmund vs Real Madrid game in 12/13, give me one game where he had an x factor moment against a top team. Lewandowski is another heavily team dependent striker.

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
Do you mean out of all the centre forwards in the league? I'd say Firmino is better at pressing than Jesus.

'He's not trying things out of the box like he used to'. Is that code for he is playing average this season, apart from his movement and pressing?
That's the original point I made.

You can make the point about City playing better as a team, but as a focal striker Jesus is also there to score goals. Of course City in this current fine form have other players throughout the team chipping in with goals, like Sterling tonight, but when things aren't going exactly to plan you need to rely on your focal striker for the goals. Personally I'd be very glad if they sold Aguero and made Jesus their main man long term, as I don't think he can score the somewhat unexpected goals like Aguero did many times over the years.
Yes becaue Pep doesn't want him to lose the ball so he doesn't try to force dribbles unecedarily. His fishing has to improve and his off the ball movement in terms of getting behind the defence has a large margin for improvement. In that regard he can learn from Sterling who has the best off the ball movement behind the opposition line with regards to timing.

The thing with Peps system is that the team creates multiple scoring chances that don't require players to score out of nothing and Aguero's fishing hasn't been good either hence why Gabriel Jesus is preferred as he allows that system to be optimal.

The pressing doesn't help Aguero as the more you run the more lethargic you become and hence the detirioration in his finishing perhaps but he has to do it for Pep's system to be effective. He looks a pace behind and this allows the opposition to build up better and has the effect of City having more shots on their goal. Aguero will score more but the team will score more with Gabriel Jesus even if he doesn't score as much individually.

Hoof the ball

@totaalvoetbal making the point that although not individually as prolific as Aguero, Jesus is a better overall fit for the entire team's performance as a whole; other's making the counter-point that Aguero is a better individual player than Jesus and scores more goals than him doesn't address his point. It ignores it.

AshRK

He will start banging goals as he gains more experience. People tend to judge young players way too soon just like with rashford /martial. Jesus is a top talent and he will score many.

Deleted member 101472

If you can’t look at Gabriel Jesus and understand there’s a top class footballer in there, you’re wumming, in complete denial or don’t understand the game.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
This is what I've been thinking all season long. His best attribute seems to be his knack or instincts to always be in the right place at the right time. That is of course a great ability to have but many in the media fawn over him like he's this spectacular player. I swear it seems like 99% of his goals for City have been tap ins inside the 6 yard box.

I think any decent poacher would look great and score loads of goals in this City team. Likewise, I don't think Jesus would look nearly as good in another team.
Well you'll get the chance to evaluate that when he plays for Brazil with Neymar in the WC this summer, won't you?
At age 20 he's already done plenty in his career and is about to add a PL winners medal (and possibly more) to his Brazilian League and Cup honours plus Olympic gold medal and Brazilian Young Player of the Year title.
City value him so highly that they have already given him a new, improved deal so I'd say that his development is coming along nicely and that the 27m paid is decent business.
You're right that most of his goals have been of the poacher variety but if you look on YouTube you will see that in a different role for Palmerias and the National Team he can do the spectacular stuff as well.
His brief at City is mostly to use his closing down skills and play a versatile game of drifting around the forward line taking defenders with him and creating space for others. The goals he scores are a bonus.
He is in a bit of a dry patch at the moment in that regard but he will overcome it soon enough.

Treble

He will start banging goals as he gains more experience. People tend to judge young players way too soon just like with rashford /martial. Jesus is a top talent and he will score many.
Spot on.

bebeanderson

Aguero averages goal & assist every 79min this season, while Jesus record so far is 112min - pretty significant difference, and as you keep mentioning he's not even on the song this season with the missed chances, which he can start converting anytime as he's done in the past. What exactly is baffling here?
Thats because Aguero scored a bunch of penalties. If you take those away Jesus is superior metrically, nevermind the other stuff like closing out, pressuring CB, link up, etc. Aguero has a better 1 on 1 skill.