Gabriel Obertan | 2010/11 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

championo

Top Stalker
I wonder how many people talking about this, actually know that they were all not in the game plan. They were there as fans. Not on the bench, just there. Why should the camera move away from an action in the game to them? If there was something so important for them to learn or concentrate on the game I am sure the camera would have been on it. This implies that there is a high likelihood that there was a dead ball situation.
Plus Giggs does not know how to use an Iphone,Ipod, he still uses vinyl records FFS

Member 5225

Got to agree that what Bebe and Obertan did was very unprofessional. If I am at a meeting and a section doesn't involve me, I don't go off drawing doodles, I listen because I may be able to learn or take something back but at the very least I show respect to the process.

Can you imagine SAF giving instructions at Carrington the next week based on something that has happened during a game, Giggsy will know what he is talking about and Obertan/Bebe wouldn't know what he is talking about.

That is what makes the difference between good players and great players (in whatever sport) IMHO

ps. I don't buy this 'ball was probably out of play' nonsense...do you think Obertan put on headphones for the 15 seconds it was out of play and then immediately threw them off for when the ball was back in play?!

phelans shorts

Got to agree that what Bebe and Obertan did was very unprofessional. If I am at a meeting and a section doesn't involve me, I don't go off drawing doodles, I listen because I may be able to learn or take something back but at the very least I show respect to the process.

Can you imagine SAF giving instructions at Carrington the next week based on something that has happened during a game, Giggsy will know what he is talking about and Obertan/Bebe wouldn't know what he is talking about.

That is what makes the difference between good players and great players (in whatever sport) IMHO

ps. I don't buy this 'ball was probably out of play' nonsense...do you think Obertan put on headphones for the 15 seconds it was out of play and then immediately threw them off for when the ball was back in play?!
So having headphones on means you aren't looking (with your eyes) at the game?

If so thefact I can manage it must make me some kind of superman...

Mainoldo

He wasn't watchin tv he was listening to music. It's not the first game he's watched and i'm sure it wont be the last. He wasn't put up in the stand as part of his education he was just put their because he never made the bench.

decorativeed

So having headphones on means you aren't looking (with your eyes) at the game?

If so thefact I can manage it must make me some kind of superman...
If you went to a gig and did keepy-uppys as the band were playing, people might think you were not paying attention to them and wonder why you felt the need to bring a ball with you anyway - even though it obviously did not hinder your hearing.

Now reverse the situation.

Alex

Bebe isn't even 20 and Obertan is what, 21? They're kids regardless of what they do for a living.

I couldn't give a feck if they wanted to listen to their iPod during a Champions League Final.

Exactly.
A kid is someone under 18, as you mentioned both are over 18.

decorativeed

He wasn't watchin tv he was listening to music. It's not the first game he's watched and i'm sure it wont be the last. He wasn't put up in the stand as part of his education he was just put their because he never made the bench.
Yet Giggs - a man who has seen and experienced everything in the game and could possibly be excused for having a quick look at his phone or listening to some tunes or even catching 40 winks - manages to retain an interest in the match.

phelans shorts

If you went to a gig and did keepy-uppys as the band were playing, people might think you were not paying attention to them and wonder why you felt the need to bring a ball with you anyway - even though it obviously did not hinder your hearing.

Listening to music doesn't take paying attention, doing kick ups does...

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football

Could give a nice bit of atmosphere if the band went to a football match and started playing their musical instruments.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yet Giggs - a man who has seen and experienced everything in the game and could possibly be excused for having a quick look at his phone or listening to some tunes or even catching 40 winks - manages to retain an interest in the match.
This is getting ridiculous now. The whole thread is based on a snippet of footage that lasts about 5 seconds. During which time there was obviously feck all happening on the pitch, hence the director cut to a shot of the crowd. During this footage Obertan looked down for, at most, 3 seconds before looking up again and was staring ahead when they cut back to the action on the pitch.

Absolutely mental that this is now evidence that he couldn't "retain an interest in the match". I'm obsessed with United to an unhealthy extent, watch every game and spend hours on this place talking about it, both before and afterwards. Nonetheless, I guarantee you could shoot a 5 second clip of me in every single game fecking about on my iPhone, staring into space or generally looking slightly distracted. This does not mean I'm unable to retain an interest in the game, believe me.

Alex

As is Sir Bobby Charlton, two legends, he and Giggs, sitting next to two "ungrateful" idiots. Do they realize they are never going to have it bettter than they do now/at United. These feckers are too lazy to do something that I get up at 4 am some weeks to watch, regardless of them being young and learning, based on their attitude, behavior, and play so far(mainly Obertan) these two arent going to make it

phelans shorts

As is Sir Bobby Charlton, two legends, he and Giggs, sitting next to two "ungrateful" idiots. Do they realize they are never going to have it bettter than they do now/at United. These feckers are too lazy to do something that I get up at 4 am some weeks to watch, regardless of them being young and learning, based on their attitude, behavior, and play so far(mainly Obertan) these two arent going to make it
They are too lazy to play are they?

You do realise that Sir Alex Ferguson didn't select them don't you?

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Absolutely mental that this is now evidence that he couldn't "retain an interest in the match". I'm obsessed with United to an unhealthy extent, watch every game and spend hours on this place talking about it, both before and afterwards. Nonetheless, I guarantee you could shoot a 5 second clip of me in every single game fecking about on my iPhone, staring into space or generally looking slightly distracted. This does not mean I'm unable to retain an interest in the game, believe me.
Watching a game and paying full attention is part of their apprentiship. I'd certainly give you a few glances if as a spectator you had your headphones on during a game at the ground.

M160RA

I know Brad has a reputation for being a drama queen, but I didn't realize the caf was swarming with them. I really don't think it's a big deal.

Sir A1ex

Nonetheless, I guarantee you could shoot a 5 second clip of me in every single game fecking about on my iPhone, staring into space or generally looking slightly distracted.
Listening to your ipod?

There's plenty of room for debate on the phone stuff, I've seen it with loads of other players and I don't like it - they should be more professional, but it's not worth singling these two guys out for.

But the music thing is ridiculous.

I don't buy the argument that maybe it was commentary / rosetta stone / voice mail (he puts cans on just to listen to a vm?) / self-help becuase he's so insecure (my favourite).

I also don't buy the argument that listening to music has no effect on or is no indication of his concentration. As I said before, you listen to music when you're bored and need to take your mind off something tedious. Have you ever seen anybody who's paid to watch football (and hence is interested in it) listening to music?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Watching a game and paying full attention is part of their apprentiship. I'd certainly give you a few glances if as a spectator you had your headphones on during a game at the ground.
The ball was out of play. Otherwise the camera wouldn't have been on them.

As for the "part of their apprenticeship" thing. You do realise that a significant number of members of the first team squad won't have even travelled to the game?

Alex

As for the "part of their apprenticeship" thing. You do realise that a significant number of members of the first team squad won't have even travelled to the game?
Why do you defend them? I mean what they did was a minor infraction but why defend these two clowns, who to this point have done absolutely feck all for the club.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Listening to your ipod?

There's plenty of room for debate on the phone stuff, I've seen it with loads of other players and I don't like it - they should be more professional, but it's not worth singling these two guys out for.

But the music thing is ridiculous.

I don't buy the argument that maybe it was commentary / rosetta stone / voice mail (he puts cans on just to listen to a vm?) / self-help becuase he's so insecure (my favourite).

I also don't buy the argument that listening to music has no effect on or is no indication of his concentration. As I said before, you listen to music when you're bored and need to take your mind off something tedious. Have you ever seen anybody who's paid to watch football (and hence is interested in it) listening to music?
I've never seen anyone paid to watch football, full stop.

As per my previous post. Not every member of the squad even travels to every away game. They aren't paid to sit in the stands.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Why do you defend them? I mean what they did was a minor infraction but why defend these two clowns, who to this point have done absolutely feck all for the club.
Eh? Why do they need to somehow earn the right for an anonymous person to 'defend' them on the internet?

I really don't care what anyone thinks of them. I'm just expressing my personal opinion that all the righteous indignation in this thread is over the top (to put it mildly)

Sultan

They were in attendance.

Can we be sure he took his headphones of at other times during the game?

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
fecking hell.

We just won 4-0 away from home, Liverpool and Arsenal lose. City don't win. This is apparently what we find time to moan about.

wr8_utd

:'(
It doesn't matter what they've done for the club though. Too much is being made about a very small thing.

Alex

I've never seen anyone paid to watch football, full stop.

As per my previous post. Not every member of the squad even travels to every away game. They aren't paid to sit in the stands.
What does Andy Grey do?

Amir

I point it out again - so if they were proven players for us, you'd be fine with them looking at their phones or listening to iPods during matches they are not participating in? How about the same player when he is in form and out of form - should that dictate how he looks at games?

They are not clowns, they are Manchester United players. Just not very good ones, so far. And tomorrow they could be heros, that's football. When people think others are too harsh on them, they will defend the lads. Just like they will defend Rooney, Berbatov, or Oliver Gill. The question is NOT who they are, but what they do.

Sultan

Eh? Why do they need to somehow earn the right for an anonymous person to 'defend' them on the internet?

I really don't care what anyone thinks of them. I'm just expressing my personal opinion that all the righteous indignation in this thread is over the top (to put it mildly)
Come on PM. We know they haven't committed any major sin...However, it does not look professional for a young footballer to have his headphones on during the game.

decorativeed

This is getting ridiculous now. The whole thread is based on a snippet of footage that lasts about 5 seconds. During which time there was obviously feck all happening on the pitch, hence the director cut to a shot of the crowd. During this footage Obertan looked down for, at most, 3 seconds before looking up again and was staring ahead when they cut back to the action on the pitch.

It's not really based on that clip. How many other players do you see at a match with massive headphones on, disconnecting themselves from the match in their own bubble. To be honest, I don't get why people do this when walking down a city centre street. When I see people around me at the match texting and pissing about with their gadgets while the game is in action, I don't get that either, but they've paid to be there, if they don't want to pay attention and waste their money while contributing nothing to the atmosphere, as bizarre as I find that, it's their choice as they have voluntarily attended the match. If you are part of the squad you should not be doing anything other than watching the game for the club you are paid handsomely to represent. Contrary to what you said elsewhere here, if the players are at the match, sat with the other players and ambassador, wearing the club crest on your club-issued jacket, you are on duty for that club, earning your wage even if you are not playing.

The "retaining an interest in the match" was slightly tongue-in-cheek, but still, I'd expect better from our players than to be pissing about with distractions like that. On the coach there, fair enough, but they should be left there - outside the stadium. I've worked for several companies and as arbitrary as a rule about not chewing gum at work may seem, it's normal practice and all about retaining a certain appearance and professionalism for your employers. Many people are expected to act in a similar manner whilst doing their jobs, why shouldn't Bebe and Obertan?

Alex

It doesn't matter what they've done for the club though. Too much is being made about a very small thing.
It does though, Giggs and Charlton could have been doing lines of coke and banging 18year old coeds in the press box and nothing would have been said, and rightly so. These two worthless dingleberries have done feck all for the club, and yes it was a minor thing to do during a match, the problem with it is that it is probably just the tip of the iceberg, if they cant pay attention to a match they are watching, they probably have difficulty listening to what Ferguson says to them, jus sayin

phelans shorts

If you are not paying attention to it, why are you listening at all? If it were normal to accompany a football match with music, they'd pipe it in like in a shopping mall.
Some people can concentrate more whilst listening to music, I know I can, you don't need to pay attention to music, just hearing a beat you know, having that rhythm in your head, for instance professional skiers wear headphones when training, it's actively encouraged.

:lol:

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
There's nothing wrong with them having a quick play on the phone, as long as they're not doing it all game long.

The headphones that Obertan is wearing is the problem. If he was on the bench I'd think he was listening to whatever music he finds inspirational so that he can perform well when he comes on. But he was in the stands, and although I'm sure he watched the vast majority of the match, it certainly doesn't imply a great deal of interest in what was happening, or a feeling of squad harmony as he's tuning out the atmosphere and the conversation of his team-mates around him.

BaldwinLegend

Some people can concentrate more whilst listening to music, I know I can, you don't need to pay attention to music, just hearing a beat you know, having that rhythm in your head, for instance professional skiers wear headphones when training, it's actively encouraged.
I've also seen Sammy Lee listening to headphones while on the touchline - apparently he favours Dean Martin during games, pumps him up.

Status
Not open for further replies.