Game 40 - France v Republic of Ireland

Needham

I'm thinking of sport psychology in this instance. What happens if France equalise? Whats going to go through the minds of the Irish?
"It's one one"
Don't overthink this stuff. They've been fantastic, scrapping like feral pickpockets. 45 to go

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
Theyll all be missing buddy. You need to hope Long gets suspended.
A decent possibility remains that eleven French players may be out of the quarter final.
I hope you're right but there's a long way to go.

If Ireland do make it through, I'll be more worried about the long awaited return of Jonathan Walters.

redshaw

Expecting a tougher second half for Ireland but France look to be a pretty soft touch so far. Ireland are picking it up quite easy in midfield and strolling forward. Not been impressed with France but they still have the players to turn things around.

Pitch looks massive for France right now.

Red Bug

This next 45 is going to be agony. France look rubbish.

Please keep Giroud on, he is useless.

Ireland to win 2-1.

Shark

@NotShark
I honestly can't believe how good we've been, France have been poor but these boys are doing us so proud!

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Matuidi, Giroud, Griezmann especially have all been poor.

Pogba seems like the most likely to do something here, but they need a few changes that I don't think Deschamps will make.

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
Griezmann has been even worse than Giroud this entire tournament. He's lost the ball every time he's gotten it this game.
I'd still prefer Griezman to Giroud. I would even prefer Martial up top compared to him. He's not good enough, simple as that.

Brophs

The One and Only
Athough it's a millions miles away from being relevant, Hendrick getting suspended for getting suspended for kicking a second ball into play v Sweden and now kicking the ball away while lying on the ground, despite no one being in a rush to get on with things anyway, isn't the brightest.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
The French front four look unsettled at the moment. That early Irish goal has shaken them up. They can't keep the ball and pass it around comfortably. It doesn't help them both Payet and Griezmann want to drift inside all the time. Neither player wants to be involved in a 1-on-1 and beat their man. There's no one there bar Pogba who's willing to stretch the Irish defence with their 1-on-1 battles. They need someone like Martial or Coman in there who can dribble their way out of trouble and face their markers rather than get away from them. The French being too central has made it easier for the Irish to defend against them, keeping things tight and compact.

Daryl Murphy and Shane Long have caused Koscielny and Rami a number of problems as well. Both have struggled to deal with their physicality and tenacity. Ireland need to keep directing the ball towards them in order to keep France under pressure.

For France to improve, they need to get some width in the team to stretch. Coman or Martial for Matuidi, Griezmann, or Giroud.

Dreadnought

McCarthys best ever game in a green shirt

Duffy and Keogh immense

Everyone has played well

But I know I'm gonna be heartbroken
Ireland can do it and I feel they will do it. They have the right attitude and they can go all the way. Also, they seem quite dangerous on the break. If they can keep the lead until 70 minutes, space will open up even more.

JTW95

Gullible sausage
After that first half I just cannot see France winning this.

Serves them right for not playing Martial.

Matuidi, Giroud, Griezmann especially have all been poor.

Pogba seems like the most likely to do something here, but they need a few changes that I don't think Deschamps will make.
Yup. Matuidi and Griezmann have been poor the entire tournament.

France would do well if Coman came in for Griezmann and played out wide how a wide player is supposed to.

Bojan11

Just take off Mathudi and Giroud. Bring on Coman and Martial.

podurban2

McCarthys best ever game in a green shirt

Duffy and Keogh immense

Everyone has played well

But I know I'm gonna be heartbroken
As long as we can keep this fighting spirit going I think we may have a great chance. France are physically weak and mentally poor.

Crimson King

Why didn't they take Gamiero? Looked great for Sevilla the few times I saw them and apparently Barca are interested in him now.

Giroud and Gignac are a bit meh.

I'd still prefer Griezman to Giroud. I would even prefer Martial up top compared to him. He's not good enough, simple as that.
But he's played better than both Martial and Griezmann have this tournament. It would be much better if Coman came in for Griezmann, or martial came in for Griezmann.

Dreadnought

Why are people always saying the favourites were disappointing first and only they do they mention the underdogs were terrific? Ireland's display played a huge part in France looking poor. There wasn't a particularly bad performance among the French, apart from Rami maybe, it's just that the Irish were better at what they did.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Deschamps hasn't really truly built a team all things considered, no flow in ball movement. Terrible off the ball movement, no runs and always a new formation for each match. He has lost it tactically speaking and it is a waste considering the players he has.

Bojan11

Why didn't they take Gamiero? Looked great for Sevilla the few times I saw them and apparently Barca are interested in him now.

Giroud and Gignac are a bit meh.
Deschamps has his favourites. Have no idea how Gignac got in because he's been playing in a second rate league.

fREDhead

France have the opportunity to play Martial against Coleman and they waste at least 45 mins like this. Martial would just destroy him again.

Awful manager.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Why are people always saying the favourites were disappointing first and only they do they the underdogs were terrific? Ireland's display played a huge part in France looking poor. There wasn't a particularly bad performance among the French, apart from Rami maybe, it's just that the Irish were better at what they did.
Too true, performances cannot be seperated. Ireland are doing well and France are doing badly at the moment.

Bojan11

Ireland are beating France and you're just assuming England would beat them? They're winning against a team that's superior to England, you know. FFS, that means something.
Besides. I doubt England could perform like this against France. We wouldn't play with this intensity.

podurban2

I expect Coman in at half-time, and Martial in around 75th minute if they still fail to score.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Ireland could do this, France seem to be lacking ideas and confidence and are definitely shaky at the back.Giroud is a donkey what is Martial doing on the bench?
If Ireland get a 2nd its over.
Anyone else think Pogba is just overrated?

kenny19

It's funny how the actual set up of a team can make players look far better than they actually are. You'd expect players like Griezman Payet Pogba to have their way in this game but Ireland have been fantastic. Greizman especially looking helpless like our very own mata.