Other Game spoilers thread for The Last of Us TV Show - Enter at your own risk (Contains spoilers for Last of Us Parts 1 & 2)

JimmyWils

Also @JimmyWils I like how you refer to it as you know what then within two sentences, flat out say what it is :lol:
Yeah it wasn't exactly a concealment effort, just bored of saying it the same way. Plus I reckon pretty much everybody in this thread is aware that
Abby caves Joel's head in with a golf club early on in the 2nd game.

Just for the avoidance of doubt :D

Mod edit: Spoilering this for people who accidentally click.

Last edited by a moderator:

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
Hell of a first post for the new page if show viewers accidentally click on this thread @JimmyWils :lol:

Last edited:

JimmyWils

Hell of a first post for the new page if show viewers accidentally click on this thread @JimmyWils :lol:
Brilliant - Didn't really count the posts, never really figured out how many make up a page. Sticking with it, can't turn back now, plus it kinda boosts what I was saying in my post. :lol:

Apologies(ish) to anybody doing what @Semper Fudge said!

Cole9

Overall I thought it was decent enough but nothing special. Probably a 7/10 for me. I thought the “moody Joel” and “sassy Ellie” dialogue got a bit tiresome after a few episodes. They kept ramming it down your throat that Joel kills innocent people too. Obviously they were setting up what was to come at the end, but it came across as too on the nose. The last episode was a bit disappointing too. Only 43 minutes long and it seemed rushed.

This won’t go down well but I’m still not entirely convinced by the casting for Ellie. Her performances were a bit hit and miss for me. In fact, it might just have been the writing in some cases, but something felt off to me. It’ll be interesting to see if she can carry the show going forward.

I thought Kathleen was an awful character. Some of her dialogue was so bad that I was face-palming. Before I get accused of having a problem with female characters, I thought the actresses for Sarah, Tess and Marlene all put in good performances.

I think I’d probably have enjoyed this more if I hadn’t played the game, which anecdotally seems to be the case from people I’ve spoken to. I haven’t played the second game because I got spoiled just before it released, so I’ll be interested to see how it plays out.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
Overall I thought it was decent enough but nothing special. Probably a 7/10 for me. I thought the “moody Joel” and “sassy Ellie” dialogue got a bit tiresome after a few episodes. They kept ramming it down your throat that Joel kills innocent people too. Obviously they were setting up what was to come at the end, but it came across as too on the nose. The last episode was a bit disappointing too. Only 43 minutes long and it seemed rushed.

This won’t go down well but I’m still not entirely convinced by the casting for Ellie. Her performances were a bit hit and miss for me. In fact, it might just have been the writing in some cases, but something felt off to me. It’ll be interesting to see if she can carry the show going forward.

I thought Kathleen was an awful character. Some of her dialogue was so bad that I was face-palming. Before I get accused of having a problem with female characters, I thought the actresses for Sarah, Tess and Marlene all put in good performances.

I think I’d probably have enjoyed this more if I hadn’t played the game, which anecdotally seems to be the case from people I’ve spoken to. I haven’t played the second game because I got spoiled just before it released, so I’ll be interested to see how it plays out.
So exactly like the game?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I thought it was excellent. I’m not a show person but make exceptions for stuff like this. What really made this work was the fact that barring the odd deviation they mostly stuck to the source material they had which would have been impossible to improve upon. I thought Bella was easily the standout. Pascal did justice to Joel as well but at times his expressions came across as a bit hammy and his voice doesn’t have the same punch as Troy Baker. But still, can’t ask for more really.

The only negative for me was the lack of action / tense encounters with people and infected. I think that’s where the medium of gaming is simply stronger for me personally. I just decided to replay TLOU2 and the moment to moment action is just so visceral and engaging. One minute you’re sneaking around taking enemies down the next you’re hurling a bottle to charge at them and evade their strikes - lovely stuff. I understand that in a show to make the narrative seamless and the character moments impact you can’t have the same suspension of belief that happens in games where you are given a free pass to be a PhR in murder but still I think we could have had many more action / tense scenes to even it out. Hopefully that’s the case in season.

AaronRedDevil

Finally got to watch the finale. Amazing show. It felt very rushed in the end but overall I was as good as it can probably get due to the budget I'd say. Ellie and Joel were almost exactly like the game. I liked the birth of Ellie at the start. That was a nice inclusion.

It would have been awesome if when Joel went on the rampage, when he turned the corner and saw the man running down the hallway and someone distracted Joel. I WISHED that was Abby. That would have been a cool Easter egg for the gamers.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
Finally got to watch the finale. Amazing show. It felt very rushed in the end but overall I was as good as it can probably get due to the budget I'd say. Ellie and Joel were almost exactly like the game. I liked the birth of Ellie at the start. That was a nice inclusion.

It would have been awesome if when Joel went on the rampage, when he turned the corner and saw the man running down the hallway and someone distracted Joel. I WISHED that was Abby. That would have been a cool Easter egg for the gamers.
That was it, apparently they had a ponytail just like her.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Is Abby even there at that point? Isn’t she on her way back from somewhere? Dina definitely has a little cameo in the town place that they start Pt II in, but not sure Abby makes sense

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Finally beat TLOU2 so I'll be reading up in this thread. Stayed spoiler free for so many years...

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Yeah it wasn't exactly a concealment effort, just bored of saying it the same way. Plus I reckon pretty much everybody in this thread is aware that Abby caves Joel's head in with a golf club early on in the 2nd game.

Just for the avoidance of doubt :D
Great I stumbled in here and learned something as I have never played the game. Sigh

JimmyWils

Great I stumbled in here and learned something as I have never played the game. Sigh
It says enter at your own risk! Stand by the fact spoilers are allowed, even if slightly misfortunate that I have the top post on this page.

Maybe we just post a bunch of things to make it to page 17...

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I'm on episode 6 at the moment. I'm enjoying the show quite a bit. I don't think it's one of the best shows of the decade or anything like that. It's good, but it's not in that bracket. I will say, I think the acting is better in the game than it is in the show. I think Troy and Ashley just do a better job. That's not to say that Pedro and Bella are bad (far from it) I just prefer the acting in the game. And that goes for some of the other characters, too.

And saying that, why didn't they just cast Jeffrey Pierce to play Tommy? He's in the show as a different character and it took me out of it a bit because he sounds exactly like the guy who actually plays Tommy in the show, because he seems to be doing an impression of Jeffrey Pierce. I don't know, just seems like an obvious casting choice.

Sylar

I'm on episode 6 at the moment. I'm enjoying the show quite a bit. I don't think it's one of the best shows of the decade or anything like that. It's good, but it's not in that bracket. I will say, I think the acting is better in the game than it is in the show. I think Troy and Ashley just do a better job. That's not to say that Pedro and Bella are bad (far from it) I just prefer the acting in the game. And that goes for some of the other characters, too.

And saying that, why didn't they just cast Jeffrey Pierce to play Tommy? He's in the show as a different character and it took me out of it a bit because he sounds exactly like the guy who actually plays Tommy in the show, because he seems to be doing an impression of Jeffrey Pierce. I don't know, just seems like an obvious casting choice.
Pretty much everybody from the game is cast in the show as somebody else

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Pretty much everybody from the game is cast in the show as somebody else
Oh yeah, I know that. Troy is in there too. As is Laura Bailey (she was in the second game, I know). As I was saying, the dude playing Tommy just sounds so much like Jeffrey Pierce that as soon as Pierce showed up I just thought "yeah, you should be playing Tommy"

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Oh yeah, I know that. Troy is in there too. As is Laura Bailey (she was in the second game, I know). As I was saying, the dude playing Tommy just sounds so much like Jeffrey Pierce that as soon as Pierce showed up I just thought "yeah, you should be playing Tommy"
Laura was also in the first game as one of the nurses, so she was one of 2 cast members to reprise their game role in the tv show.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It says enter at your own risk! Stand by the fact spoilers are allowed, even if slightly misfortunate that I have the top post on this page.

Maybe we just post a bunch of things to make it to page 17...
It’s unfortunate that yours was the first post on the page and unfortunate that I had in fact clicked on the wrong thread on my phone, read the post, realised it wasn’t what I was looking for and then..”oh. Damn.”

id appreciate it if people could still use the spoiler tags if putting something that will absolutely spoil it for others

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
It’s unfortunate that yours was the first post on the page and unfortunate that I had in fact clicked on the wrong thread on my phone, read the post, realised it wasn’t what I was looking for and then..”oh. Damn.”

id appreciate it if people could still use the spoiler tags if putting something that will absolutely spoil it for others
I guess you could say that you made a golden...

*Puts on sunglasses*

feck up.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
It’s too late, I’m working my way through your Irish cousins first. Old Jimmy 1 eye? Gone
Pauly 2 splat? Gone Trev the channel flyer? Gone
:lol: at least Pauly 1 is still soaring through the skies like a shit eagle.