Gaming Gaming RedCafe's Greatest Video Games Of All Time Contest (FINAL ROUND)

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
1. Hades
2. Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal
3. PES5/6
4. Tetris
5. Rome: Total War 1
6. Shadow Of The Colossus
7. Half-Life
8. GTA: San Andreas
9. Mass Effect
10. Football Manager

b82REZ

It was a bit silly though. They had plenty of chances to get through in each normal round. That round was clearly added in so certain posters could get their favourite game into the final :lol:
No more silly than the PC getting 10 options.

@Dirty Schwein has done an amazing job through this.

There is no definitive way of doing something as broad as this the effort he's put into it is outstanding. @Vidyoyo deserves a shout out too.

People have complained and moaned throughout, and even now after the closest thing to a democratic vote to get to this shortlist there are still people complaining.

I actually found the Indie round the most interesting. There was a lot more discussion IMO and people sharing recommendations.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Maybe if someone can add a poll:

Option 1 is the current round as the final

Option 2 is going for a knockout method instead
Vote about votes, finally getting my fix :lol:
Actually no, let's keep as is. As I said before, I got more ideas for these in the future and one of them involves knockouts at the end so to keep things interesting going forward, let's stick to the original plan here. Sorry lads!

No more silly than the PC getting 10 options.

@Dirty Schwein has done an amazing job through this.

There is no definitive way of doing something as broad as this the effort he's put into it is outstanding. @Vidyoyo deserves a shout out too.

People have complained and moaned throughout, and even now after the closest thing to a democratic vote to get to this shortlist there are still people complaining.

I actually found the Indie round the most interesting. There was a lot more discussion IMO and people sharing recommendations.
Thanks mate, really appreciate that! People have complained so much that sometimes I wonder why I did this! :lol:

As for that bolded bit, that was the intention of this. To firstly take people down a nostalgia trip with the early rounds focusing on games of the past and then for recommendations as we ventured into the current generations of gaming. And of course, to see who crowns supreme :D

DavelinaJolie

1. Super Mario World
2. Super Mario Bros 3
3. World of Warcraft
4. Super Mario Bros
5. Tetris
6. Counterstrike 1.6
7. Witcher 3
8. Mass Effect

@Dirty Schwein updated list

Last edited:

Revan

Assumptionman
1. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
2. Final Fantasy VII
3. The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt
4. Deus Ex
5. Half Life
6. Mass Effect
7. Age of Empires 2
8. Half Life 2
9. The Last of Us
10. Super Mario Bros.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
@Dirty Schwein that was my first complaint to be fair! You have done a brilliant job.
Mate that wasn't aimed at you. Apologies if it sounded like that!

Most of the complaints were in the early rounds from PC users :lol:

To be fair, they did have a point, which is why I changed the PC round a little bit.

All about pleasing the people!!!

Ainu

Looking at some of the votes this is going to be pretty competitive I think. I can see The Witcher 3 edging it, but we'll see.

The Hilton

Not even close. That one had GTA V vs God of War as its "final". There are a lot more credible choices here in the final round.
But one of those games is in the final round here, and the other is the arguably superior (and objectively more successful) sequel to another game in the final round here. So I'm not really sure what your point is.

At least the IGN one had a much greater diversity of games, whereas this one most of the rounds offer 2 or 3 variations on the same theme.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I'm getting really frustrated with the lack of Street Fighter votes... the bloody game gave birth to an entire genre ffs :lol:

I know @Moby will be including it in his list at least. No pressure :nervous:

JP77

1. Super Mario Bros 3
2. PES
3. World Of Warcraft
4. GTA San Andreas
5. Super Mario Bros
6. Super Mario World
7. Street Fighter
8. Final Fantasy 7
9. Pokemon
10. Metal Gear Solid

Ainu

But one of those games is in the final round here, and the other is the arguably superior (and objectively more successful) sequel to another game in the final round here. So I'm not really sure what your point is.

At least the IGN one had a much greater diversity of games, whereas this one most of the rounds offer 2 or 3 variations on the same theme.
My point was clear, a face-off of GTA V and God of War for greatest game of all time is a complete shambles. We're going to end up with a much better winner (and by extension much better runners-up) here, that's almost certain.

Yeah there are some games missing here, the selection process isn't flawless. Still going to be a lot better than IGN's though.

Revan

Assumptionman

IGN's was a tournament, so the final round had two games. Here, the final round has like 30 games.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Looking at some of the votes this is going to be pretty competitive I think. I can see The Witcher 3 edging it, but we'll see.
So far, this is closer than any qualifying round. Most game near the top are only a few votes apart.

The Hilton

What would be your ideal top 10 list?
I dunno, would have to take some time to think about it, but one with a lot more diversity of games.

10% of the options here are Super Mario, and most of the rounds threw up various flavours of the same formula.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I dunno, would have to take some time to think about it, but one with a lot more diversity of games.

10% of the options here are Super Mario, and most of the rounds threw up various flavours of the same formula.
But Mario games were truly head and shoulders above most games in their era and there's a reason why they're so popular in gaming culture. As we have progressed in the contest, they have had less impact, mirroring real life.

Would you not consider the early Mario games as some of the most important games of all time? Nothing touched them back in those days.

As for diversity...

Mario (platformer)
PES (sports)
Street Fighter 2 (fighter)
GTA (sandbox)
Football Manager (management)
God Of War (action)
Final Fantasy VII (RPG)
TLOU (adventure)
Hollow Knight (Metroidvania)
Hades (rogue-like)
Deus Ex (FPS)
Age Of Empires (strategy)

There's plenty diversity no?

Last edited:

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
That's quite an underwhelming list of games right there. Piss poor taste. Where the feck is Bioshock? Rounds 8 and 9 are disaster zones. Terrible stuff. Also, Witcher 3? Come on. And the wrong GTA is there. It's obviously Vice City.

Shit show

And with all that whinging and crying out the way, here's my list:

1. Bloodbourne
2. Metal Gear Solid
3. Street Fighter 2
4. PES (series)
5. Super Mario Bros. 3
6. Hades
7. Super Mario World
8. The Last Of Us
9. Tetris
10. GTA: San Andreas

The Hilton

My point was clear, a face-off of GTA V and God of War for greatest game of all time is a complete shambles. We're going to end up with a much better winner (and by extension much better runners-up) here, that's almost certain.

Yeah there are some games missing here, the selection process isn't flawless. Still going to be a lot better than IGN's though.
But you're comparing apples to oranges - a better comparison is this list of 30 vs the IGN second round which leaves 32.

IGN's was a tournament, so the final round had two games. Here, the final round has like 30 games.
Yeah, 10% of which are Super Mario, and plenty just to make up the numbers.

This isn't anything against @Dirty Schwein, who's done a good job organising it, but the round voting was far more interesting and exciting - I was just very disappointed when I saw the list available to choose from and couldn't find 10 that I cared enough about to vote for.

Moby

Dick
It was nice getting our beloved Pure Vessel this far, but I think I'd have to look at this broader list with a bit more thought. This might well change!

1. Super Mario Bros.
  2. Bloodborne
  3. Super Mario Bros 3
  4. Mass Effect
  5. Street Fighter 2
  6. GTA San Andreas
  7. Hollow Knight
  8. Football Manager
  9. Age of Empires 2
  10. CS 1.6

Moby

Dick

The whole thing was based on limited picks for each gen and Mario was the best of multiple gens, the idea wasn't to get one game each from each genre. That was discussed and could possibly be another content, but this wasn't that.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
That's quite an underwhelming list of games right there. Piss poor taste. Where the feck is Bioshock? Rounds 8 and 9 are disaster zones. Terrible stuff. Also, Witcher 3? Come on. And the wrong GTA is there. It's obviously Vice City.

Shit show

And with all that whinging and crying out the way, here's my list:

1. Bloodbourne
2. Metal Gear Solid
3. Street Fighter 2
4. PES (series)

5. Super Mario Bros. 3
6. Hades
7. Super Mario World
8. The Last Of Us
9. Tetris
10. GTA: San Andreas
I was going to type a different reply until I saw the bolded :lol:

It was nice getting our beloved Pure Vessel this far, but I think I'd have to look at this broader list with a bit more thought. This might well change!

1. Super Mario Bros.
  2. Bloodborne
  3. Super Mario Bros 3
  4. Mass Effect
  5. Street Fighter 2
  6. GTA San Andreas
  7. Hollow Knight
  8. Football Manager
  9. Age of Empires 2
  10. CS 1.6
Your positioning of Street Fighter and Hollow Knight has really disappointed me :lol:

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
1. Half Life
2. Half Life 2
3. Counterstrike
4. Shadow of the Colossus
5. God of War
6. The last of us
7. Red dead redemption
8. Metal Gear Solid
9. Goldeneye
10. Deus Ex

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
The whole thing was based on limited picks for each gen and Mario was the best of multiple gens, the idea wasn't to get one game each from each genre. That was discussed and could possibly be another content, but this wasn't that.
We will do this at some point!

Moby

Dick
I was going to type a different reply until I saw the bolded :lol:

Your positioning of Street Fighter and Hollow Knight has really disappointed me :lol:
:lol:

This is pretty hard. I haven't put The Witcher 3 because I haven't completed it but it should be in there as well. OG Mario is still the GOAT for me.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Not even close. That one had GTA V vs God of War as its "final". There are a lot more credible choices here in the final round.
God of War was incredible. GTA V isn't worthy.

b82REZ

1. Super Mario Bros.
  2. Bloodborne
  3. Super Mario Bros 3
  4. Mass Effect
  5. Street Fighter 2
  6. GTA San Andreas
  7. Hollow Knight
  8. Football Manager
  9. Age of Empires 2
  10. CS 1.6
Actually shocked how low you have HK.

Moby

Dick
Despite it being a gen based limited picks finals which meant some well deserving games (especially Diablo 2! :mad: ) missed out, I'm quite happy with putting that as a final top 10. There's decent diversity, games from multiple gens and platforms and a lot of them are genre defining titles.

amolbhatia50k

Go Witcher 3! I know Deus Ex won't win so not bothering hoping for that.

amolbhatia50k

1. Deus Ex
2. Witcher 3
3. World Of Warcraft
4. Counterstrike 1.6
5. Star Wars: KOTOR
6. GTA: San Andreas
7. Street Fighter 2 (series)
8. Metal Gear Solid
9. Half Life 2
10. Football Manager (series)
Our top 2 match. Good man.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Moby is that guy who convinces everyone to order an item on the menu cause it's the most delicious thing ever and then doesn't order it himself.

Moby

Dick
Actually shocked how low you have HK.
:lol:

Yeah, but like I said I had to balance personal preference with some other factors like the kind of legacy some of the games have. SF2 like Dirty said is pretty much one of the most iconic games ever and is the template for that entire genre so you have to respect that!

Ainu

But you're comparing apples to oranges - a better comparison is this list of 30 vs the IGN second round which leaves 32.

Yeah, 10% of which are Super Mario, and plenty just to make up the numbers.

This isn't anything against @Dirty Schwein, who's done a good job organising it, but the round voting was far more interesting and exciting - I was just very disappointed when I saw the list available to choose from and couldn't find 10 that I cared enough about to vote for.
It's always going to be subjective of course, but comparing our list to the 32 bracket from IGN, I still think ours is superior (and that's with two games less). Yes, there are games from those 32 I would have liked to see here, like Burnout 3 or Breath of the Wild, but the other way around, theirs doesn't have a single RTS for example. It has dross like Rise of the Tomb Raider which had knocked out Half-Life 2 in the previous round (just let that sink in! :lol:).