Gareth Bale | Golfer, ex-Footballer, Elbower of racists, Philosopher, Golf Ambassador, Bar Owner, Real Legend, Defibrillator

Vapor trail

Always a subjective discussion on what great players are considered best I guess it's determined how people view the game.

Watching R9 he was sublime a totally iconic player in his prime. Zidane was also fantastic but his influence was mostly in the midfield.

The Madrid team of recent was far better quality wise than the older era galaticos, the team was more balanced but had great individual quality in practically every position. Modric, Kroos and Casemiro are drastically underrated, Ronaldo, Benzema and Bale wouldn't have had the success without the foundation of the midfield.

For some reason or another Bale will in most cases not get the praises, could be due to always being viewed as second fiddle to Ronaldo who knows but Benzema is also in the same boat and is only now being rated the best in his position due to being the main man at Madrid.

Reactions: Invictus

djembatheking

Bale has been extremely lucky to be in a team with both Ronaldo and Benzema who are both better than him . Benzema has been awesome since Ronaldo left .

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Bale has been extremely lucky to be in a team with both Ronaldo and Benzema who are both better than him . Benzema has been awesome since Ronaldo left .
I wouldn't say Bale was worse than Benzema, going of a quick wiki search alone (I know, not the best) but they've both scored around the same rate in their careers (1 in 2) and both contributed to the success of Madrid.

Not forgetting that Bale started at a left back, his peak was astonishing really and is probably one of the cleanest strikers of the ball you'll see.

Also I find the kick and rush comments a little harsh, he had blistering pace so why wouldn't he use that? It's like asking Ronaldo not to shoot, but Bale actually had really good technique for creating just enough space to release a rocket of a shot, or little body feints to get past a defender - its just he's known for blistering pace because he had that tool, it shouldn't be a mark against him.

djembatheking

I wouldn't say Bale was worse than Benzema, going of a quick wiki search alone (I know, not the best) but they've both scored around the same rate in their careers (1 in 2) and both contributed to the success of Madrid.

Not forgetting that Bale started at a left back, his peak was astonishing really and is probably one of the cleanest strikers of the ball you'll see.

Also I find the kick and rush comments a little harsh, he had blistering pace so why wouldn't he use that? It's like asking Ronaldo not to shoot, but Bale actually had really good technique for creating just enough space to release a rocket of a shot, or little body feints to get past a defender - its just he's known for blistering pace because he had that tool, it shouldn't be a mark against him.

I just think Benzema has been at a higher level for longer even before his Madrid days with Lyon and he has delivered for Madrid after Ronaldo leaving too. He must be one of Madrids all time greats.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Zidane could pass better, had a better first touch, could do things with the ball in close quarters that Bale could only dream of, and was more creative. You're boiling this down to stats and trophies and nothing else. Do you think that Ole was a better player than Alan Shearer? I mean, he won more. Bale was brilliant but his stats being better than Zidane prove nothing other than he played in a better team.
Nothing else? More goals. More assists. More trophies. More big goals in big games. Ole better than Shearer? How does that even make sense? Shearer has way more goals

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
The only facts you lot can see is goals and trophies (more due to other better players than Bale who wouldn't even be in their top 4-5 players?) because that's the 5 year old mentality of fans these days. feck passing, playmaking, beating the press, controlling the game, actually being good in the guild up rather than a hindering, first touch, ability in tight spaces and so on.

We should let RM fans decide who was better from Madrid so we can laugh at you even more. Moronic to suggest Zidane being better for RM has to do with popularity.
Obviously Madrid fans will say all these players were better for them than Bale was. Will they base that on facts? No. They will base it on popularity

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
I just think Benzema has been at a higher level for longer even before his Madrid days with Lyon and he has delivered for Madrid after Ronaldo leaving too. He must be one of Madrids all time greats.
Bale was one of the best in the Premier League before he earned his big move to Madrid.

Pickle85

Nothing else? More goals. More assists. More trophies. More big goals in big games. Ole better than Shearer? How does that even make sense? Shearer has way more goals
Ah ok, so you are basically using the top trump approach to decide which player is better then. Who needs to actually watch them when you can just look up stats?!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Obviously Madrid fans will say all these players were better for them than Bale was. Will they base that on facts?
Yes. They won't base it on goals and assists like 15 year olds but actual performances where Zidane was obviously better.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Ah ok, so you are basically using the top trump approach to decide which player is better then. Who needs to actually watch them when you can just look up stats?!
Zidane, Ronaldo and Figo were all amazing players for Madrid. But you are going to have to come up with something better than "because I said so" to prove that they were better for Madrid than Bale was. I mean, we aren't talking about stats that are close. It's a landslide.

Pickle85

Zidane, Ronaldo and Figo were all amazing players for Madrid. But you are going to have to come up with something better than "because I said so" to prove that they were better for Madrid than Bale was. I mean, we aren't talking about stats that are close. It's a landslide.
I don't think you'll find im alone in holding this opinion. In fact I suspect that the vast majority of people would agree.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I don't think you'll find im alone in holding this opinion. In fact I suspect that the vast majority of people would agree.
So what you're saying is that you just go with what others think? Got it. Mind you, I don't doubt for a second that most will disagree with me. I also know for a fact that their reasoning will be much like yours. "Because I said so". They won't be able to back it up with facts. Let's face it...it's a popularity contest and nothing more. When faced with the actual facts, if you were able to think for yourself and form an opinion that might go against the norm, you will have to admit that Bale has been better for Madrid than Zidane, Figo and Ronaldo...

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
So what you're saying is that you just go with what others think? Got it. Mind you, I don't doubt for a second that most will disagree with me. I also know for a fact that their reasoning will be much like yours. "Because I said so". They won't be able to back it up with facts. Let's face it...it's a popularity contest and nothing more. When faced with the actual facts, if you were able to think for yourself and form an opinion that might go against the norm, you will have to admit that Bale has been better for Madrid than Zidane, Figo and Ronaldo...
If your sole goal is to go against the norm then yeah Bale was better than Zidane for Madrid. But 99% of fans (not even Madrid fans) with a functionning pair of eyes know that Zidane was in another universe than Bale. You could have a discussion about Figo and Ronaldo but (actual) injuries played too much of a part for the latter.

Pickle85

That's not what I'm saying, but keep it up with your confrontational, argumentative posting style. Doesn't make you any more right but I guess it makes you feel better.

amolbhatia50k

Zidane was definitely more popular. But why was he better? Becuase you said so? Because Madridistas said so? Sorry, but I"m going to need a little more than that
:lol: You're going to need goals and assists aren't you?

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
If your sole goal is to go against the norm then yeah Bale was better than Zidane for Madrid. But 99% of fans (not even Madrid fans) with a functionning pair of eyes know that Zidane was in another universe than Bale. You could have a discussion about Figo and Ronaldo but (actual) injuries played too much of a part for the latter.
Nope. Sometimes I agree with the norm, sometimes I don't. What I don't do is make my decisions based on what everyone else thinks. I think for myself

ForeverRed1

Zidane could pass better, had a better first touch, could do things with the ball in close quarters that Bale could only dream of, and was more creative. You're boiling this down to stats and trophies and nothing else. Do you think that Ole was a better player than Alan Shearer? I mean, he won more. Bale was brilliant but his stats being better than Zidane prove nothing other than he played in a better team.
bales first touch and passing are brilliant also though. He was a pure pace merchant but powerful and technical with it. They are different players though. Both world class. I’d say Zidane is more iconic. More revered in the game.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Then what are you saying other than "Zidane was better for Madrid because other people told me that"
I don't know what you're looking for to be honest. Zidane was a better player than Bale for Madrid and it goes beyonds statistics. You want "proof" and thinks everyone is thinking that because "somebody told them so and they can't think for themselves". What can anyone do then ? Just go and watch actual games where Zidane single handedly destroyed opposition without needing to score or assist. Teams had to adapt to him just being on the pitch. If you did see him live when he was playing and still think Bale is better well.... :angel:
It doesn't take anything away from Bale who had some great moments before the relationship soured.

Pickle85

Then what are you saying other than "Zidane was better for Madrid because other people told me that"
I think if you read back you'll see that what I said was that I wasn't the only one to think that, not that I used their opinions as mine. I'm not sure where you're getting the fact that I'm basing my opinion on other people's but you seem to be an argumentative soul.

welshwingwizard

The thing is football is a different game now than it was then and I don’t think it is fair to compare stats. Balls are lighter and defenders are more attacking and not as good defensively so players are racking up goals and assists that were not possible in different times. Ruud, Shearer, Eto, Owen, Raul, Henry all look tame in comparison to some of the recent attackers yet they were the best in class then.

amolbhatia50k

I'm going to need a lot more than "because I said so" or "because that's what everyone says"...
Then you are beyond help in this regard and clearly not worth the bother. It's funny because your argument in favor of Bale (sorry I have to pause as this comparison does crack me up) is basically "forward scores / assists more than a midfield". Next up with unfortunately bad takes: Memphis better than Iniesta because of goals and assists. Oh the other 'basis' being lucky to be part of Zidane's (and Ronaldo/Modric/Ramos/Benzema) Madrid.

Gazza

Option 1: anyone who disagrees with me is just parroting Mark Goldbridge
Option 2: anyone who disagrees with me is just following the crowd

appleman

Supports
Atletico Madrid
Option 1: anyone who disagrees with me is just parroting Mark Goldbridge
Option 2: anyone who disagrees with me is just following the crowd
What if Mark Goldbridge is in the crowd?

Pickle85

Then you are beyond help in this regard and clearly not worth the bother. It's funny because your argument in favor of Bale (sorry I have to pause as this comparison does crack me up) is basically "forward scores / assists more than a midfield". Next up with unfortunately bad takes: Memphis better than Iniesta because of goals and assists. Oh the other 'basis' being lucky to be part of Zidane's (and Ronaldo/Modric/Ramos/Benzema) Madrid.
Yup. Vardy better than Xavi. Heskey twice the player that Cannavaro was.

youngrell

Zidane was definitely more popular. But why was he better? Becuase you said so? Because Madridistas said so? Sorry, but I"m going to need a little more than that
Dude, you’re comparing a forward with a midfielder for a start. It would take some doing for Zidane to match Bale’s output from much deeper on the pitch, and that’s without even taking into consideration the different eras they played in.

I’m Welsh, I love Bale, but he is the very definition of a modern player who plays in small moments and highlights and racks up great stats. A player like Zidane orchestrated the whole match, they really are in different leagues.

Zidane was best player in the world 3 times FFS.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Dude, you’re comparing a forward with a midfielder for a start. It would take some doing for Zidane to match Bale’s output from much deeper on the pitch, and that’s without even taking into consideration the different eras they played in.

I’m Welsh, I love Bale, but he is the very definition of a modern player who plays in small moments and highlights and racks up great stats. A player like Zidane orchestrated the whole match, they really are in different leagues.

Zidane was best player in the world 3 times FFS.
Excuse me, but I compared 3 players. A winger, a striker and a #10. None of which match Bale.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
You are concentrating on one aspect of the post. Zidane (who was not a midfielder by the way, but a #10). The post compared Bale, Figo, Zidane and Ronaldo. None of which were better for Madrid than Bale was. Fact...

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
The thing is football is a different game now than it was then and I don’t think it is fair to compare stats. Balls are lighter and defenders are more attacking and not as good defensively so players are racking up goals and assists that were not possible in different times. Ruud, Shearer, Eto, Owen, Raul, Henry all look tame in comparison to some of the recent attackers yet they were the best in class then.
Blah blah blah....yawn

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I don't know what you're looking for to be honest. Zidane was a better player than Bale for Madrid and it goes beyonds statistics. You want "proof" and thinks everyone is thinking that because "somebody told them so and they can't think for themselves". What can anyone do then ? Just go and watch actual games where Zidane single handedly destroyed opposition without needing to score or assist. Teams had to adapt to him just being on the pitch. If you did see him live when he was playing and still think Bale is better well.... :angel:
It doesn't take anything away from Bale who had some great moments before the relationship soured.
Goes beyond stats? Like what? Silverware? Nope. Face it....Bale was better for Madrid than Zidane, Figo and Ronaldo. The stats don't lie. Where he falls short is in popularity. He wasn't as liked as these guys. But if anyone is being honest then they know for a fact that Bale was better for Madrid., If not, then give me an argument other than "because I said so"...

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
When Makelele left Galacticos's Real regressed massively.

Judging team trophies to say that Bale performed better for Real than Zidane,R9, or Figo it's a massive stretch.

CR7's Real Madrid was much more balanced and better team than Galácticos's Real

And Bale definitely didn't do better individually than Figo at Real, Figo was the most consistent Galáctico player, delivered most of the times, team was just very imbalanced after Makelele departure.

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
At the end of the day Bale was better then Zidane at Real Madrid. Maybe not MASSIVELY better but if you had to ask the question then it’s Bale.

if you disagree then you are either trolling or anti-British.

Has to be said for a player to cofrom the British shores and perform the way he did is nothing short of incrediBALE, pardon the pun. Zidanes style of play was more suited in La liga.

Not to mention La Liga from 2013-2018 was a stronger league compared to 2001-2006.

it’s a shame again that posters in this thread don’t take in the information posted.

I will repeat again Bale had to sacrifice a lot more in defence with Benzema and Ronaldo staying up top.

Zidane was the better player overall with his exploits with Juventus and France.

youngrell

Excuse me, but I compared 3 players. A winger, a striker and a #10. None of which match Bale.

None of which are the positions, team or era that Bale played in. You must be trolling at this point as you are not considering any other argument than a G/A ratio stat.