Gareth Bale | Golfer, ex-Footballer, Elbower of racists, Philosopher, Golf Ambassador, Bar Owner, Real Legend, Defibrillator

m1tch

All this talk of a championship club surprises me, going off his loan at spurs I'd say he's quite capable of playing at a premier league club on a 1 year rolling contract or pay as you play deal. I'd be shocked if a team like West Ham, Newcastle, Everton wouldn't be very interested in taking him.

Tiber

Im sure Newcastle will buy him a golf course every week if he is willing to be their big name signing.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Shits on Beckham.
No way.

In terms of big trophies they’re pretty even (Becks has way more league titles, Bale more CLs), but you could never call into question Becks’ attitude, commitment and professionalism. Even when Capello dropped him to the reserves as he was moving to LA Galaxy, he brought him back to the first team due to his professionalism, (and obviously quality) and Capello even regretted the incident (how often does that happen)?

Secondly, Beckham was an integral part of the success of whichever team he joined, and was almost revolutionary as a player. Bale has had an excellent career, but there’s no way he shits on Becks. I’d personally say Becks edges it.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
All this talk of a championship club surprises me, going off his loan at spurs I'd say he's quite capable of playing at a premier league club on a 1 year rolling contract or pay as you play deal. I'd be shocked if a team like West Ham, Newcastle, Everton wouldn't be very interested in taking him.
I think the sentiment of Cardiff would mean he would play for them for relatively lower wages. If he played for us, WH or Newcastle he would be asking for big money which isn’t really sustainable for the former two. The latter could afford it but they seem to be wanting to spend their money relatively wisely.

diarm

He will tear the Championship asunder if he goes to Cardiff.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
No way.

In terms of big trophies they’re pretty even (Becks has way more league titles, Bale more CLs), but you could never call into question Becks’ attitude, commitment and professionalism. Even when Capello dropped him to the reserves as he was moving to LA Galaxy, he brought him back to the first team due to his professionalism, (and obviously quality) and Capello even regretted the incident (how often does that happen)?

Secondly, Beckham was an integral part of the success of whichever team he joined, and was almost revolutionary as a player. Bale has had an excellent career, but there’s no way he shits on Becks. I’d personally say Becks edges it.
I think Bale at Madrid was better than Beckham at Madrid.

Bale At Wales was unreal too.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Well Bale was a better player than Beckham and was a World XI lock for 5 years. I love Beckham, excellent player but Bale is a level above imo.
I’d say Bale’s ceiling was higher, but I’d say Becks gave far more consistent quality, over a much longer period of time.

m1tch

I think the sentiment of Cardiff would mean he would play for them for relatively lower wages. If he played for us, WH or Newcastle he would be asking for big money which isn’t really sustainable for the former two. The latter could afford it but they seem to be wanting to spend their money relatively wisely.
I would imagine the difference between what a premier league club would happily offer him versus what Cardiff could afford to offer him would be huge. I just tend to think he could offer a lot to quite a few premier league clubs on a 1 match / week basis.

Frank Grimes

I’d say Bale’s ceiling was higher, but I’d say Becks gave far more consistent quality, over a much longer period of time.
Beckham's peak was probably 1996-2004 (8 years). Bale's 2010 - 2018. (8 years)
Both did well in spells after that and Beckham wasn't as injured as often but Bale is still being the lynchpin in an ordinary Wales team despite all this. I still think you have to look at a players peak when it comes to assessing such things and that gives Bale a decent edge imo.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Beckham's peak was probably 1996-2004 (8 years). Bale's 2010 - 2018. (8 years)
Both did well in spells after that and Beckham wasn't as injured as often but Bale is still being the lynchpin in an ordinary Wales team despite all this. I still think you have to look at a players peak when it comes to assessing such things and that gives Bale a decent edge imo.
Becks’ peak stretched on until he left Madrid. And he had some excellent loan spells at AC Milan and PSG (the quarterback stint). Bale has essentially had his feet up for the last 3 years. Becks was flying across the Atlantic to stay fit and prove himself at the highest level.

Secondly, Becks was the talisman for England in the Sven years. Bales achievements are greater for Wales given the fact that they hadn’t qualified for a big intl tournament in x years, but that doesn’t diminish how iconic Becks was and has been for England.

Bobski

Peak Bale is one of the best players the UK has ever produced, longevity is his issue. Filthy athlete, good in the air, at threat from range with his ball striking, good finisher, fantastic left foot.

He peaked higher than Giggs( though Giggs in a one off game peak might be the most unplayable) or Beckham.

El__Jingo

as a wales fan its been amazing watching him over the years, youd struggle to find a more influential player for their country too.

Giggs never produced anywhere near the level for his country that Bale has, youd even argue the Mark hughes Wales side on paper was just as good as the Speed/Coleman one.

Frank Grimes

Becks’ peak stretched on until he left Madrid. And he had some excellent loan spells at AC Milan and PSG (the quarterback stint). Bale has essentially had his feet up for the last 3 years. Becks was flying across the Atlantic to stay fit and prove himself at the highest level.

Secondly, Becks was the talisman for England in the Sven years. Bales achievements are greater for Wales given the fact that they hadn’t qualified for a big intl tournament in x years, but that doesn’t diminish how iconic Becks was and has been for England.
If Bale only had a couple.of outstanding seasons I'd agree with you but the fact he was the very best player in his position for a five year period is enough for me to say he is clear of Beckham. He scored winners in 2 CL finals 4 years apart. Even before Real Madrid he won back to back PFA award at Spurs. Guy was unplayable. His peak is so much better than Beckham's though and that is crucial.

Valencia Shin Crosses

The guy above was trolling but he is easily Top 10 foreign players. Off the top of my head in no order

Di Stefano
Puskas
Hugo Sanchez
Ronaldo
Zidane
Marcelo
Roberto Carlos
Bale
Modric

Well that's 8 9 at least (forgot Modric FFS!). You could include Figo, the real Ronaldo, Mijatovic, Redondo and of course the chancer McManaman.
Benzema is surely in there ahead of Bale. Kroos as well I think. Bale would probably be 11th for me behind your list

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
If Bale only had a couple.of outstanding seasons I'd agree with you but the fact he was the very best player in his position for a five year period is enough for me to say he is clear of Beckham. He scored winners in 2 CL finals 4 years apart. Even before Real Madrid he won back to back PFA award at Spurs. Guy was unplayable. His peak is so much better than Beckham's though and that is crucial.
I mean - there were other legitimate world class players in that position. Barca had Neymar / Messi in that time. Bayern had Robben who had an immense few years (from 2010-2013). Beckham should have won a few more accolades imo (99 award went to Ginola when it deffo deserved to go to Beckham). Beckham was runner up in the Ballon D’or in 1999, and was runner up for the Fifa World Player of the Year in 1999 and 2001. To my knowledge, Bale has never made it to the top 3 of any of these awards.

Again, I’m not downplaying Bale’s contribution or peak, I just think Beckham over his career edges it. (Also, main thing is Bale doesn’t ‘shit’ on Beckham).

But let’s agree to disagree as I don’t think we’ll end up changing each other’s mind.

Sanjuro

Supports
Real Madrid
A list of foreign players with the most matches played for Real Madrid. Gareth Bale is in 16th place:

600+ games
  • 1. Karim Benzema - 605 games
500+ games
  • 2. Marcelo - 546
  • 3. Roberto Carlos - 527
400+ games
  • 4. Cristiano Ronaldo - 438
  • 5. Luka Modric - 436
300+ games
  • 6. Alfredo Di Stefano - 396
  • 7. Toni Kroos - 365
  • 8. Raphael Varane - 360
  • 9. Jose Santamaria - 337
  • 10. Pepe - 334
  • 10. Casemiro - 334
  • 12. Uli Stielike - 308
200+ games
  • 13. Hugo Sanchez - 282
  • 14. Gonzalo Higuain - 264
  • 15. Ferenc Puskas - 262
  • 16. Gareth Bale - 258
  • 17. Luis Figo - 245
  • 18. Fernando Redondo - 228
  • 19. Zinedine Zidane - 227
  • 20. Santiago Solari - 209

Gareth Bale is one of the greats, but I wouldn't say he belongs in the Top 10 greatest foreign players in the history of Real Madrid. Di Stefano, C. Ronaldo, Modric, Marcelo, Benzema, Roberto Carlos, Puskas and Zidane, the 8 untouchables, so there are only 2 places left and so many greats...

Reactions: Sultan

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Bale wasn't that player for Real. Had some shiny final moments but consistently speaking he didn't do it enough for me.

Not that he should care anyways, his trophy cabinet is bursting, and he loves his golf, so good on him.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Bale wasn't that player for Real. Had some shiny final moments but consistently speaking he didn't do it enough for me.

Not that he should care anyways, his trophy cabinet is bursting, and he loves his golf, so good on him.
Your first point is a bit ridiculous if you look at his contributions.

176 goal contributions in 18,025 minutes for Madrid, that's a goal or assist every 102 minutes - and you consider that to be inconsistent?

His career goal contributions sit at 1 every 125 minutes of football, but it drops down to every 99 minutes when you take into account he started his career at left back - oh and his "shiny moment's" are CL winning goals, two game winning goals in CL finals is a rare feat, with one arguably the best CL final goal you'll see.

For comparison:

Fernandes has a goal contribution every 115 minutes for us (89 in 10268) so worse, without the shiny moments like winning goals in CL finals.

Ronaldo for us is 1 in every 121 minutes (175 in 21245) our modern legend, and arguably one of our greatest ever players.

Obviously he's nowhere near Ronaldo, just put those stats in there to debunk the "inconsistent" label you threw out, Bale was often injured, and was a polarising figure towards the end at Madrid, but Bale would have been one of the best players we've ever had at United and just because Madrid have had better players than we had, doesn't diminish the player Bale was.

El__Jingo

No way.

David Beckham doesnt get close to Gareth Bale...
1. Ask any full back who they'd rather be up against
2. Who is the more clutch player
3.Most importantly, put Becks into this welsh team and we wouldnt even have gotten into the last couple of international tournaments the way we have

Im a Manchester United fan first and foremost but as a proud Welshman what us welsh fans have witnessed over the last handful of years from Bale has been sensational.

Tarrou

I know it'll never happen but wouldn't mind seeing him get a one year deal with United

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Even Madrid agree he's a legend

He's been part of an already legendary Real Madrid team, hasn't done a lot the last few years but his goals in the finals are going to be remembered for years to come.

I do think that in a balance his contributions were mostly positive, he didn't get involved in any scandals and seemed like a humble and professional guy. For whatever reason he didn't gel well with the press in Spain and he was been criticized for pretty silly things, like playing golf, so I always consider his treatment very unfair. However the last couple of seasons he didn't do himself any favors and he was already in some semi-retirement mode prioritizing playing for Wales than the club but in some years I think he's going to be remembered as very important player who was part of a very special Real Madrid team.

Aside from his goals on finals my favorite moment was when he single handedly retired Marc Bartra.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Stop being a stan, then maybe you can have an objective conversation
Objective conversation :lol: I just gave you a ton of stats and you come back with an insult like a brat and I'm the one that can't have an objective conversation.

Sometimes your opinions get rightfully called out, happens to you, me and everyone breathing, no need to be petulant when it happens though, shows you up for a bit of a "Karen".

Tarrou

He's still good. Even without his pace he's still quite effective as he's a great passer, crosser and amazing at free-kicks. The main issue is injuries obviously but now his Madrid contract is up he shouldn't be too expensive.

We need a right-winger too, and he's free.