Gareth Bale: Golfer

He's probably played more golf than the pros these last few years.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
It’s the hardest movement in sport by a distance. So much can go so wrong in a very short space of time.
What about those marathon archery skiiers.

Not sure I could shoot a gun straight after skiing cross country

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
What about those marathon archery skiiers.

Not sure I could shoot a gun straight after skiing cross country
It sure as shit wouldnt be facile, but shooting a firearm is far less physically demanding than a golf swing: far less muscles in play, no real kinesthetic sense needed, & no real need of tempo in relation to the physical motion.

The only real equivalents are either the baseball swing or the hockey shot, but both sports allow for an aspect of failure; if one averaged 1 out of 3 hits in baseball for their career & played long enough, they would easily be in the hall of fame, similar stats (but with far more attempts) in hockey would also hold true.

But not in golf. Every error is costly.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
It sure as shit wouldnt be facile, but shooting a firearm is far less physically demanding than a golf swing: far less muscles in play, no real kinesthetic sense needed, & no real need of tempo in relation to the physical motion.

The only real equivalents are either the baseball swing or the hockey shot, but both sports allow for an aspect of failure; if one averaged 1 out of 3 hits in baseball for their career & played long enough, they would easily be in the hall of fame, similar stats (but with far more attempts) in hockey would also hold true.

But not in golf. Every error is costly.
F1 maybe (or motorsport in general)? You see how close they get to the walls etc or other cars.

But you also have the physical element. Unlike Golf where you get an electric cart from one hole to the next.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
F1 maybe (or motorsport in general)? You see how close they get to the walls etc or other cars.

But you also have the physical element. Unlike Golf where you get an electric cart from one hole to the next.
I'm talking about the profession of golf. There is virtually never a cart provided to professionals no matter the level. I am stating that the swinging of a golf club at any level pro or amateur is more taxing than aiming & shooting a gun.

Motorsports definitely is athletic.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
It’s the hardest movement in sport by a distance. So much can go so wrong in a very short space of time.
Get out of it. I’ve got a hole in one and routinely have two or three shots every round that are professional level. I only play a couple of times a year and I shoot 90 or just under if I play a few times in any given month. I am not a good golfer.

It’s a tough sport, but it’s nowhere near the hardest movement in sport. Stationary ball, forever repeatable action. It’s among the easiest sports to be good at. Throw in weather and it muddies the water a little bit, but hitting a golf ball straight isn’t a huge sporting achievement in my opinion.

Its posh darts.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Get out of it. I’ve got a hole in one and routinely have two or three shots every round that are professional level. I only play a couple of times a year and I shoot 90 or just under if I play a few times in any given month. I am not a good golfer.

It’s a tough sport, but it’s nowhere near the hardest movement in sport. Stationary ball, forever repeatable action. It’s among the easiest sports to be good at. Throw in weather and it muddies the water a little bit, but hitting a golf ball straight isn’t a huge sporting achievement in my opinion.

Its posh darts.
no worries.

this is how I know the rest of your post is full of shit

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Its posh darts.
This is either a quality WUM or :lol: :lol: :lol:

Zen

Its posh darts.
There's a lot of money in it. Take it serious if it's so easy.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Golf sucks, I find it really fecking hard though. I have great hand eye coordination but could never grasp golf. Divots everywhere.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
He he he. Try being a plus 2 golfer with aspirations then see what the pros can do - it's out of reach unless you are miles better than +2.

UnrelatedPsuedo

There's a lot of money in it. Take it serious if it's so easy.
Oh no, there’s a chasm of talent, ability and discipline between a bogey golfer and a scratch golfer. A bigger gap still between scratch and professional.

My issue is the idea that the action is ‘the toughest thing in sport’. You’ll learn to hit a straight golf shot of a decent distance far quicker than you’ll learn to hit a baseball pitch, a fast ball in cricket or a serve to ace a top tennis player. It’s just you and a ball. Practise enough and you’ll get there very quickly.

The fact remains that golf is such a fun sport as it’s relatively easy and really inspiring to rock up, hire clubs from the pro shop and get at least a couple of shots in a round that a professional would be happy with.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Seems like my comment calling it shit led to some deeper discussion. So I'll add something else superficial because I like to see the world burn:

If golf was so hard, my fat FiL with multiple health conditions wouldnt be winning regional tournaments in an area full of golfers and courses.

tomaldinho1

Golf sucks, I find it really fecking hard though. I have great hand eye coordination but could never grasp golf. Divots everywhere.
That’s what makes it so good in my opinion. I was always sporty growing up, could play everything to a good level, golf is literally the main thing I’ve never got good at. I don’t play that often but I love the game and it’s incredibly addictive playing as a group or even alone. Rubbish to watch live in my opinion, great to watch on tv slumped in a comfy chair with a splash of something to whet the whistle.

UnrelatedPsuedo

That’s what makes it so good in my opinion. I was always sporty growing up, could play everything to a good level, golf is literally the main thing I’ve never got good at. I don’t play that often but I love the game and it’s incredibly addictive playing as a group or even alone. Rubbish to watch live in my opinion, great to watch on tv slumped in a comfy chair with a splash of something to whet the whistle.
I’ve never really enjoyed watching it live either, but I got some corporate hospitality tickets for the Ryder Cup once and that was an incredible time. Whole tournament in the sunshine, great golf and a genuine atmosphere.

tomaldinho1

I’ve never really enjoyed watching it live either, but I got some corporate hospitality tickets for the Ryder Cup once and that was an incredible time. Whole tournament in the sunshine, great golf and a genuine atmosphere.
That’s maybe the one thing I would say bucks the trend but have never been lucky enough to get tickets.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Seems like my comment calling it shit led to some deeper discussion. So I'll add something else superficial because I like to see the world burn:

If golf was so hard, my fat FiL with multiple health conditions wouldnt be winning regional tournaments in an area full of golfers and courses.
Is he playing against players off of his handicap or are they around his same skill level?

UnrelatedPsuedo

That’s maybe the one thing I would say bucks the trend but have never been lucky enough to get tickets.
I just got lucky. Was a really good time. I’d do another one if I could. Had a pint of Guinness ‘with’ Bill Clinton.

Just texted my mate about it after I posted. Apparently the weather was nothing like the sunny time I remember. Now I feel really old. Fairly sure I did actually have a good time though.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I think the comparison to driving an F1 car is apt. The extent you need to be in control of all your senses and make split second reactions is likely as difficult as the technicalities of a golf swing. Otherwise I agree, the margin of error in a golf swing is unlike pretty much any other sport.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
That’s a really good point. And agreed on the bolded too, my cousin played football at a very decent level and him and his teammates got very competitive practising and competing against each other in their free time. I even remember my dad getting home from a very taxing job and practicing chipping the balI, and getting a buzz from it because on the next golf meet-up he’d be excited to show his improvement (sadly there was minimum improvement for him). can see why (seemingly) so many footballers turn to the sport as a hobby (for various other reasons too)