Gareth Bale is...The most expensive player ever?!

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
Well Im happy that there is no chance of it becoming a big summer saga with a massive anti climax at the end to be honest.

Adebesi

He could have become world class because all the other left wingers in the world were killed simultaneously. If for example there had been a World Left Wingers Convention, with all the best in the world under one roof, except Bale who had flu and stayed at home in bed, and then Kim Jong Un had bombed the convention because he hates freedom and prefers basketball. I think that is the sort of scenario you envisaged that could see Bale become World Class.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
What are the Evening Standard like with their "exclusives" anyway?

But if true, fair play to him and brilliant news for spurs' fans, showed a lot of loyalty even if he does leave next year. Could have easily forced his way to a big club this summer and pocketed 200k a week. Now will give Spurs another season of his world class talent before likely leaving for a huge sum on very good terms with the club and fans (which he probably would have anyway).
London based paper and with us have found them fairly accurate in the past.

I think it is likely he will stay and get a wage rise. In return he'd probably want a release clause put in his contract just in case Levy changes his mind next summer. If they let him go this season it is in their interest not to drag it out and get it done quickly, get new players in and make sure they have a full pre-season with the club.

Adebesi

I find it inexplicable he would want to stay at Spurs one more season. Loyalty is all well and good but if he is going to leave next year anyway, what difference does it make? He spends a year at his prime playing in a team with no hope of doing anything of consequence, outside the biggest competition in the world. And for what? I dont get it at all.

Loyalty would be staying at Spurs come what may. Doing a Gerrard. Delaying the inevitable for a year just strikes me as pointless from his perspective.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
He is still only 23 years old, he has developed well in the last few years and I think playing in a team where he is the prime focus for another year will do him more good than harm.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I read somewhere that Bale is very close to AVB (Gareth even named his daughter Alba Violet Bale) & so he might be happy to stay at Spurs long-term, especially if they achieve CL qualification next season.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I read somewhere that Bale is very close to AVB (Gareth even named his daughter Alba Violet Bale) & so he might be happy to stay at Spurs long-term, especially if they achieve CL qualification next season.
At some point he's going to leave to chase trophies because realistically even if Spurs make it into Champions League, they are never going to win it or win the Premier League. He's comfortable there now though and seems to be enjoying every minute so I reckon he'll stay there for another few years. He could become a Spurs legend in no time if he carries on this kind of form.

Dominos

:lol: So this is actually true then? I find that incredibly creepy for some reason.

Red For Ever

I find it inexplicable he would want to stay at Spurs one more season. Loyalty is all well and good but if he is going to leave next year anyway, what difference does it make? He spends a year at his prime playing in a team with no hope of doing anything of consequence, outside the biggest competition in the world. And for what? I dont get it at all.

Loyalty would be staying at Spurs come what may. Doing a Gerrard. Delaying the inevitable for a year just strikes me as pointless from his perspective.
There are many high profile examples of players being at teams, for reasons more than just the size of the wage packet ( although I accept there are many more that give the impression of money first, loyalty second )

I have no evidence, but suspect the boring story of someone being happy where he is, does not attract the big media attention that a move for big money and massive wage packet do.

Kaos

Part of me is glad he's staying at Spuds. Providing they can buy themselves a decent striker or two, while having better luck with injuries, I seriously think they can mount a top 3 challenge next season. Better them than Chelski and Arsenal anyway.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
He could have become world class because all the other left wingers in the world were killed simultaneously. If for example there had been a World Left Wingers Convention, with all the best in the world under one roof, except Bale who had flu and stayed at home in bed, and then Kim Jong Un had bombed the convention because he hates freedom and prefers basketball. I think that is the sort of scenario you envisaged that could see Bale become World Class.
:lol:

Would you take £32m plus Rooney and Nani?
I know you're joking, but such a deal would only be rivaled by the sale of Ibrahimovic to Barcelona for cash + Eto'o in terms of short sighted stupidity.

Sarni

:lol:

I know you're joking, but such a deal would only be rivaled by the sale of Ibrahimovic to Barcelona for cash + Eto'o in terms of short sighted stupidity.
I got the feeling Glaston will say no to it anyway.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I got the feeling Glaston will say no to it anyway.
What would be the point of it? How could we afford the huge wages of both Rooney and Nani, as well as the players we'd spend the 30 million on? How long, considering Rooney has done it twice in two years now, would he put in a transfer request because we either don't pay him enough or because we're not ambitious enough for him?

What message would it send as a club if we were to sell our best player at the first sign of interest, especially if he wasn't agitating for a move?

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
What would be the point of it? How could we afford the huge wages of both Rooney and Nani, as well as the players we'd spend the 30 million on? How long, considering Rooney has done it twice in two years now, would he put in a transfer request because we either don't pay him enough or because we're not ambitious enough for him?

What message would it send as a club if we were to sell our best player at the first sign of interest, especially if he wasn't agitating for a move?
Duh, you go to the board and adjust the little slider between wages and transfer budget.

Adebesi

There are many high profile examples of players being at teams, for reasons more than just the size of the wage packet ( although I accept there are many more that give the impression of money first, loyalty second )

I have no evidence, but suspect the boring story of someone being happy where he is, does not attract the big media attention that a move for big money and massive wage packet do.
I am not exactly sure how what you are saying relates to what I said, in terms of agreeing or refuting it, or just taking the baton and continuing the thought, but I certainly dont think players should be - or even necessarily are - motivated exclusively by money. As you said, you do get that impression a bit. But that is hardly the only reason he might want to leave Spurs. I personally always assume winning trophies is the biggest single factor for footballers. Playing with a better caliber of player is also presumably a factor - closely connected with the trophies. And then of course, money.

As far as Im concerned, Bale could reject all of those and say he was happy where he is, and I would find that perfectly understandable - refreshing, even. He might say, he has a beautiful home on Seven Sisters Rd, or that he finds Haringey to be the most efficient and well run district in the country, or he enjoys walking his dog in Ally Pally for all I know, God knows he must earn enough as Spurs. What I am saying is, if he is going to move next year anyway, what is the point in waiting? If he is going to move anyway, none of those hypothetical factors can be that important, or they would prevent him doing it next year as well.

Maybe he thinks his development will be better with Spurs as someone said above. I think that is bollocks, you develop best with great players around you. It might have been true when he would have struggled to get games, but that wouldnt be the case now.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs

Exactly so.

We can keep Bale for next season and focus whatever spare cash can be mustered on signing a top quality striker and perhaps a creative CM.

In any case we'll have Sandro and Kaboul back, and can bring Townsend and Rose into the squad.

We can kick on further next season. We finished just 6 points off 2nd place and 3 points off 3rd ... so it's not like the gaps are unbridgeable.

Andrew~

Spurs have done amazingly well to lock him down it has to be said. I fully expected him to be off this summer. If they improve their squad and don't lose any other key players, they'll be in for a good season in August.

Sarni

Exactly so.

We can keep Bale for next season and focus whatever spare cash can be mustered on signing a top quality striker and perhaps a creative CM.

In any case we'll have Sandro and Kaboul back, and can bring Townsend and Rose into the squad.

We can kick on further next season. We finished just 6 points off 2nd place and 3 points off 3rd ... so it's not like the gaps are unbridgeable.
I'd say that it's debatable that you were 6 points off 2nd and 3 points off 3rd. It depends on which angle you look at it from.

Adebesi

This season a lot of neutrals have wasted no opportunity to opine to me that United are the best of a bad bunch, that this United team is pretty damn average but that everyone else is equally bad. City will come back stronger, as will Chelsea, they keep telling me. United are nothing special, only SAF could have got so much out of these players, yadda yadda yadda.

With that in mind, Spurs YET AGAIN failing to get into the top 4 does look pretty damning. How bad do you have to be to come in behind Arsenal this year? Bale may have had the impression in recent years that if he stuck around he could be part of something special at Spurs. Why would he continue to think that now? Surely if it was going to happen it would have happened by now.

I dont know, maybe Bale does have a man crush on AVB, that is fair enough, that would be a good reason to stay if he has a strong working relationship with the manager, and if it makes AVB more secure in his position that is also great news for the club.

Mainoldo

This season a lot of neutrals have wasted no opportunity to opine to me that United are the best of a bad bunch, that this United team is pretty damn average but that everyone else is equally bad. City will come back stronger, as will Chelsea, they keep telling me. United are nothing special, only SAF could have got so much out of these players, yadda yadda yadda.

With that in mind, Spurs YET AGAIN failing to get into the top 4 does look pretty damning. How bad do you have to be to come in behind Arsenal this year? Bale may have had the impression in recent years that if he stuck around he could be part of something special at Spurs. Why would he continue to think that now? Surely if it was going to happen it would have happened by now.

I dont know, maybe Bale does have a man crush on AVB, that is fair enough, that would be a good reason to stay if he has a strong working relationship with the manager, and if it makes AVB more secure in his position that is also great news for the club.
I can't see him staying a player like that needs to be at a big club now.

Sarni

Arsenal got 73 points, this isn't a bad tally to be fair. If you can draw any conclusions from the end of season though it's that Arsenal are improving and could well get even more next season provided they get some quality forward and perhaps a midfielder in. Chelsea will have Mourinho next year as well as possibly 3-4 top class signings, City will probably have Pellegrini and a few new players as well and we were very far ahead of the rest so I don't expect us to all of a sudden drop out of top 4.

While Spurs definitely had a decent season, it'll be difficult for them to break into top 4 next year.

Bale is 23, if he feels comfortable at Spurs he can stay there for another 3-4 years and still move to a top club then.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Every season is a new beginning. You got 72 points this season but it means nothing. There's no guarantee that you'll stay in the league let alone play for the CL spots next year.

I'd say that it's debatable that you were 6 points off 2nd and 3 points off 3rd. It depends on which angle you look at it from.
I don't know where to start with this nonsense.

Getting 72 points doesn't mean "nothing". It means we've reached our highest ever points total in the Prem-era and so can be taken as a high water-mark indicator of continued progress.

You say "There's no guarantee that we'll stay in the league". Well, come to that there's no absolute guarantee than any team will stay in the league, so what's your point?

And how is it "debateable" that we finished 6 points off 2nd and 3 points off 3rd?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Arsenal got 73 points, this isn't a bad tally to be fair. If you can draw any conclusions from the end of season though it's that Arsenal are improving and could well get even more next season provided they get some quality forward and perhaps a midfielder in. Chelsea will have Mourinho next year as well as possibly 3-4 top class signings, City will probably have Pellegrini and a few new players as well and we were very far ahead of the rest so I don't expect us to all of a sudden drop out of top 4.

While Spurs definitely had a decent season, it'll be difficult for them to break into top 4 next year.

Bale is 23, if he feels comfortable at Spurs he can stay there for another 3-4 years and still move to a top club then.
And if he has a total lack of ambition

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Getting 72 points doesn't mean "nothing". It means we've reached our highest ever points total in the Prem-era and so can be taken as a high water-mark indicator of continued progress.

You say "There's no guarantee that we'll stay in the league". Well, come to that there's no absolute guarantee than any team will stay in the league, so what's your point?

And how is it "debateable" that we finished 6 points off 2nd and 3 points off 3rd?
Didn't you say in the U21 thread that it's debatable that United would be the champions even if they won the final? Same situation really.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
And if he has a total lack of ambition
In your opinion. Is it not ambitious for him to try and contribute to some success at Spurs? Or is ambition solely seen as signing for a huge club and ensuring the great stay great?

The ugly side of fans from the so called big clubs comes out at this time of year.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Didn't you say in the U21 thread that it's debatable that United would be the champions even if they won the final? Same situation really.
It's simply a fact - not "debateable" - that we finished just 6 points off 2nd (etc).

I don't see an analogy with my comment in the U21 thread, where I pointed to the distinction between the league phases of the competition (based on 30 games in total) and the now one-off "cup-tie" final, with Spurs being drawn away

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
There's nothing wrong with lacking ambition if you're happy where you are.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It's simply a fact - not "debateable" - that we finished just 6 points off 2nd (etc).

I don't see an analogy with my comment in the U21 thread, where I pointed to the distinction between the league phases of the competition (based on 30 games in total) and the now one-off "cup-tie" final, with Spurs being drawn away
I'm saying they're both facts. United if they win the final will be champions, regardless of it being a one off game. Chelsea were champions of Europe last season were they not? They won the final, definitely weren't the best team but they were the champions.
Spurs were the champions for the leage phase I guess but now it's a different thing from the league for the cup final.

Inigo Montoya

In your opinion. Is it not ambitious for him to try and contribute to some success at Spurs? Or is ambition solely seen as signing for a huge club and ensuring the great stay great?
The ugly side of fans from the so called big clubs comes out at this time of year.
No it may include trying to win trophies.

I'm not sure it's an ugly side TBF, just being realistic. Spurs sign players who are ambitious and it goes on....It's a dog eat dog world in football, I'd love it not to be but it hasn't been a level playing field for years and I don't thik it ever will be

Sarni

It means nothing, it didn't get you into PL and every season is a new one. Funny how when it comes to United previous season means little for you because 'every season is a blank page' while when it comes to Spurs it's somehow far more meaningful. It's yet another time that you set double standards for both clubs.

It is debatable. It depends on how you look at it (like the U21 title really).

Inigo Montoya

There's nothing wrong with lacking ambition if you're happy where you are.
Indeed he looked delighted to be missing out on champions league football yet again.

Still he can stay and compete for a Europa Cup place again I suppose

LARulz

I don't understand this contract. Whats the point of paying him more for one more year then sell him for 50 million when they could probably get higher this season

Erentz

Knows everything! 5 years later.
I don't understand this contract. Whats the point of paying him more for one more year then sell him for 50 million when they could probably get higher this season
They probably can't get more for him this season, he signed a new contract quite recently, it wouldn't be surprising if he had a clause in it which is much lower than £50 million.