Gareth Bale | Mourinho: "Game over. Now everyone knows he's going to stay."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterling Archer

A lot of people seemed to say this at the time but Bale would ve been in a much better place had he not left the PL imho. Granted - Spurs were never going to sell to United, Chelsea, City or Arse so in a way he didn't have a choice to leave England.
Huh? He has won 3 Champion's Leagues as well as La Liga. That's as many CL trophies as United has won in a half century. I'd say he has been in a very good place.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He does have injury problems but people are exaggerating this quite abit here. Plus he is a game-changer, which is rare and what we lack of.
Let's not forget last summer he has shined in the Euro, in Madrid though he is never the main man (who else would be anyway), but he did play a big part in helping Madrid winning league and a couple CL titles over past few years.

TheRedHearted

He does have injury problems but people are exaggerating this quite abit here. Plus he is a game-changer, which is rare and what we lack of.
Let's not forget last summer he has shined in the Euro, in Madrid though he is never the main man (who else would be anyway), but he did play a big part in helping Madrid winning league and a couple CL titles over past few years.
Is this in response to the numbers that were given earlier in the thread (or had they just gone with games played and not games misssd on injury)

dogwithabone

If Jose is in any way interested in signing Perisic then the only real reason for me why it hasn't happened is he is waiting on the Bale situation.

He's way overpriced but I don't believe £45-50m is completely outrageous for Perisic with the money being thrown around in this window. If Jose definitively wanted him I believe he would have been signed weeks ago.

I would rather we bought an injury prone Bale who could give us 15-20 excellent - outstanding performances next season than Perisic who would give us 30-35 average-good performances and maybe a couple of excellent ones.

I agree with that.

The Perisic fee is hefty but it's not ridiculous in this current market. I think Jose now thinks there is a sniff of landing Bale and that's the only reason the Perisic deal is on hold, let's face it we are only pence away from what they want.

We must have had some encouragement re Bale.

Acole9

Outstanding
If Bale is so injury prone, Real would not have kept him for as long as they have.

lsd

The Oracle
If Bale is so injury prone, Real would not have kept him for as long as they have.
What? He is on a long term contract and getting huge wages they couldn't get rid of him even if he never played a game

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
According to ESPN this morning Chelsea are bidding for Bale.

Agent P where are you?

themoyesboy

According to ESPN this morning Chelsea are bidding for Bale.

Agent P where are you?
Well we'll get to see who was right - those of us who want him, or those who think he'll spend most of his time too injured to be useful. I fear we'll look on with regret, assuming he was ever gettable. He may well prefer a move back to London anyway.

Acole9

Outstanding
What? He is on a long term contract and getting huge wages they couldn't get rid of him even if he never played a game
Oh come on, Bale is one of the best players in the world. They'll be a few big clubs interested in him. We've had injury prone players in the past who barely played and we managed to get rid of most of those.

psychdelicblues

A lot of people seemed to say this at the time but Bale would ve been in a much better place had he not left the PL imho. Granted - Spurs were never going to sell to United, Chelsea, City or Arse so in a way he didn't have a choice to leave England.
:lol:

Huh? He has won 3 Champion's Leagues as well as La Liga. That's as many CL trophies as United has won in a half century. I'd say he has been in a very good place.
This.

Litch

Bale is 28 but his career imo currently has no legacy. He didn't stay at Spurs to say win them something (can you imagine a fit Bale in this spurs team) and although he's won stuff at Real, it's been completely overshadowed by CR. CR here left a legacy and continues to build one at Real. If Bale left tmw, he just be one of the many stars that came and went at that club.

I think that's partially why Neymar went (aside from the money), Barca is all about Messi and the rest are the supporting act. Bales barely played any football to justify the trophies he's won and needs to think more about football and less about his lifestyle. That can come once his career is over.

psychdelicblues

Bale is 28 but his career imo currently has no legacy. He didn't stay at Spurs to say win them something (can you imagine a fit Bale in this spurs team) and although he's won stuff at Real, it's been completely overshadowed by CR. CR here left a legacy and continues to build one at Real. If Bale left tmw, he just be one of the many stars that came and went at that club.

I think that's partially why Neymar went (aside from the money), Barca is all about Messi and the rest are the supporting act. Bales barely played any football to justify the trophies he's won and needs to think more about football and less about his lifestyle. That can come once his career is over.
Bale does not strike me as someone who has an ego to care about legacy. I'ts no shame to be in the shadow of Ronaldo. He's at probably the biggest club in the world winning CL trophies ect. Unless Madrid do not want him to stay, there is no footballing reasons for him to leave. Plus with the spate of injuries he has had in the last couple seasons I doubt his fitness will improve with the vigorous nature of the PL.

Every game in the Premier League you have to be at 100 per cent for 90 minutes or you will lose,” he told the Daily Mail.

“In Spain, you can be up at half-time against the bottom club and take your foot off the gas. You can rest players and take people off. If you try for 45 minutes you won't win a match in the Premier League.

“And, obviously, the winter break is massive. In England you'll play four or five games and we don't play any. You don't get many rest days and it really does burn you out for a long time after that.”
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...bale-real-madrid-premier-league-a7615366.html

Rusholme Ruffian

I realise that this is probably poor business sense, but if I was in charge of the club I'd make him an offer now and explain that this summer is the final time that we'll be in for him. Give him a decision to make rather than have him thinking he can do another season or 2 at Madrid and we'll always be waiting with open arms for him once he decides he wants to come back to English football.

If he doesn't want to come then fine, get Perisic signed and never look back. Otherwise I can see this being like the Ronaldo thing...with the difference that Ronaldo is rarely injured and is the best in the world.

Litch

Bale does not strike me as someone who has an ego to care about legacy. I'ts no shame to be in the shadow of Ronaldo. He's at probably the biggest club in the world winning CL trophies ect. Unless Madrid do not want him to stay, there is no footballing reasons for him to leave. Plus with the spate of injuries he has had in the last couple seasons I doubt his fitness will improve with the vigorous nature of the PL.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...bale-real-madrid-premier-league-a7615366.html
Who knows...and he might not. No shame to be in the shadow of Messi either but I guess it's what you want for your career. I get the feeling that's what separates the Ronaldo's and Messi's, and probably now Neymar too as they aren't playing second to nobody. I'm think the opposite to you cause there's every football reason to leave. Like I said, I'm sure he'll retire with a few medals but even David May has a CL medal. Not sure he'll feel the same about it as Becks though....

Drifter

American
Was this really going to happen .Would have loved it if true but this is just some looking for that galactico fix.

psychdelicblues

Who knows...and he might not. No shame to be in the shadow of Messi either but I guess it's what you want for your career. I get the feeling that's what separates the Ronaldo's and Messi's, and probably now Neymar too as they aren't playing second to nobody. I'm think the opposite to you cause there's every football reason to leave. Like I said, I'm sure he'll retire with a few medals but even David May has a CL medal. Not sure he'll feel the same about it as Becks though....
Bale is not in the same class as those 3 in terms of talent and commercial profile to have a team built around him IMHO.

Litch

Bale is not in the same class as those 3 in terms of talent and commercial profile to have a team built around him IMHO.
I thought that's why he went to Madrid in the first place? Kind of reiterates the point. From a football point of view, he's no further on than when he left spurs. From a trophy and monetary terms, clearly worth it.

Last edited:

Nick Lowe

I think that if Bale joined United, the club would make it into a massive thing and with good reason. It would possibly be something even bigger than when Pogba joined. It would flog a load of extra shirts for Adidas (not that we get much from that; think we get 10%?). I'd say if acceptable to all parties then absolutely go for him!

Reactions: Cheesy

seegoblu

...I'd like to know how you can come to you're conclusion that the club and José have enough money to sign another big target but aren't linked to such players? At least my $0.02 has logic to it. And then again, José is the all time spender amongst managers in football history. Why at all would he be hesitant to spend £75M+ to improve the team if you say that's how much United can still afford to spend? Doesn't really add up unless you care to explain and shed light on the situation.
Ah, I see your error now, much more clear to me. You mistakenly thought that the only reason why the club doesn't get a specific player is because there isn't a budget for that player. To you, there is no other reason why Dembele or another similar potentially expensive talent wouldn't be in the team. That's a very FM or FIFA mentality..."I have the budget so I'll go get Messi for my team." However, you've forgotten to consider some real issues, does the player want to come to Manchester, does the manager fancy the player and think he is a fit for his plan, will the player settle well, is the player ready for playing in the EPL and for Man Utd in particular, will the player fit in with the rest of the squad, etc.

Oh, and of course, will the current team sell the player (in the absence of a buy out clause). It's for these reasons why it's not as simple as filing out a shopping list and goi g to Amazon to fill your order. Why isn't Greizman on the team, because he didn't want to come. Why isn't Dembele on the team, because BVB will reject every offer, etc.

To see a lack of transfer activity and ascribe it solely to a lack of budget is a simplistic and farscial view on reality. Could it be a lack of budget, of course, but there is a lack of direct evidence to support that view (where is the quote from Ed or Mou that we are out of funds). But to say, as a fact, that it is THE reason, without a shred of proof is just guessing and not fact.

Fensa#08

Bale when fit is world class and can compare to messi and ronaldo, neymar and griezmann are nowhere near to him.He is actually Ronaldo clone, who actually plays with left and is slightly better at dribbling.But he is a gamble, as he has become injury prone and is great risk buying him, considering the money that should be spent on him.When fit, I can't imagine myself picking other player before him.

Litch

In a good place personally. I don't get the sense anyone in Madrid is going to see him as any kind of club legend or give a rats ass if he leaves.
Completely agree. He has no historical relationship with the club; wasn't signed by current manager; he's not Spainish or French; commercially worth nowt and can't imagine there's many kids around the world with Bale on their back; doesn't play for a high profile international team and spends half his time injured. Arguable there's a Spanish lad called Isco that might not cost as much but already proved contributes more to the Real team.

Whether he is the right or wrong signing for us, his profile here would different in every single way.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

He won't have a legacy on the level of Ronaldo at all, but he's still been an excellent player for Real and I'm sure they'll always appreciate his contribution.

Could argue that his legacy may lie with Wales to a greater extent: his key role in getting them to the semis in 2016 means he'll be remembered incredibly fondly.

psychdelicblues

Bale when fit is world class and can compare to messi and ronaldo, neymar and griezmann are nowhere near to him.He is actually Ronaldo clone, who actually plays with left and is slightly better at dribbling.But he is a gamble, as he has become injury prone and is great risk buying him, considering the money that should be spent on him.When fit, I can't imagine myself picking other player before him.
No white text?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Completely agree. He has no historical relationship with the club; wasn't signed by current manager; he's not Spainish or French; commercial worth nowt and can't imagine there's many kids around the world with Bale on their back; doesn't play for a high profile international team and spends half his time injured. Arguable there's a Spanish lad that might not cost as much but already proved contributes more.

Whether he is the right or wrong signing for us, his profile here would different in every single way.
This describes a ton of footballers though. Plenty are ultimately going to their respective clubs for glory and money, and it'd be no different if he was coming here. Would love to have him in our side though.

Litch

This describes a ton of footballers though. Plenty are ultimately going to their respective clubs for glory and money, and it'd be no different if he was coming here. Would love to have him in our side though.
I wasn't describing other players but a reason for why as the previous poster highlighted, Real wouldn't be that bothered about him leaving. Maybe not coming here but the transfer would be different if he was going back to spurs or CR coming back to Utd. Clubs and fans do look at transfers (In or Out) differently when they have a relationship with the player. Pogba also proves this.....

Ibi Dreams

Let's not forget last summer he has shined in the Euro
He really wasn't that good at the Euros, there were a couple of Welsh players who were comfortably better than he was

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
He should stay at Madrid at all costs IMO - he's sitting on a massive contract well beyond his actual worth, and like he says in the quotes above the game is much easier for him in La Liga then if he came back to the Premier League. There he gets to celebrate all the trophies won by Ronaldo and the boys as well as living in the paradise that is Spain (where I'm sure they never see a drop of rain, unlike Manchester which is seemingly in a permanent monsoon according to some foreign footballers apparently). The Spanish press might turn on him, but the press here will always be up his arse so I'm sure he could live with that.

I see no reason why he should leave Real, however much they might want him gone.

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He really wasn't that good at the Euros, there were a couple of Welsh players who were comfortably better than he was
Well he did scored 3 goals in the Euros was Welsh all time top scorer in major tournaments though.. so yeh he really wasn't that good at all...

Needham

But you have to admit his hair has fallen out in clumps and that would never have happened under Sir Alex.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I think that if Bale joined United, the club would make it into a massive thing and with good reason. It would possibly be something even bigger than when Pogba joined. It would flog a load of extra shirts for Adidas (not that we get much from that; think we get 10%?). I'd say if acceptable to all parties then absolutely go for him!
We'd probably look to renegotiate the Adidas contract if we got him.

Status
Not open for further replies.