Status
Not open for further replies.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
A dozen good games and I heard pundits comparing Bale with Messi

He's a decent premiership player with a lot of energy and pace. His only trick is to kick the ball and try outpace the defender. Good left foot on him mind...
If he's a one trick pony, what do you call Valencia?

Spoony

The People's President
A dozen good games and I heard pundits comparing Bale with Messi

He's a decent premiership player with a lot of energy and pace. His only trick is to kick the ball and try outpace the defender. Good left foot on him mind...
Got a great cross on him and all. To be fair, he's exciting.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
If he's a one trick pony, what do you call Valencia?
Valencia is a better dribbler from the dead ball. Something I have not seen from Bale. To be fair to Bale, Beckham was hardly blessed with much trickery and we all know have that turned out...

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I don't think Valencia has more tricks than Bale. The other way round if anything.

But Valencia (poor lad - hope he's doing ok) is certainly capable of reaching the same heights - he has masses of potential.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Reaching the same heights?

If you take away the media hype it's arguably Bale with the catching up to do.

sincher

Maybe, though there are some facts in there, such as having scored a hat trick in the Champions League.

I was actually a bit surprised with Valencia's fairly poor start to the league season after the Charity Shield. I thought he was about to explode and score loads and all that, but he actually saw his place taken by Nani.

I_live_cement

Cat freak
I hate when people, and pundits especially, refer to "tricks".

When you have pace, as well as technical ability (which Bale has), then you will have no problems beating getting past defenders.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Maybe, though there are some facts in there, such as having scored a hat trick in the Champions League.

I was actually a bit surprised with Valencia's fairly poor start to the league season after the Charity Shield. I thought he was about to explode and score loads and all that, but he actually saw his place taken by Nani.
Yeah, but that's not really a career heightening acheivement in it's own right. It wasn't even a meaningful hatrick.

I mean, Tugay once scored a Champions League hatrick against Manchester United, which won his side the game. That doesn't mean his career's reached greater heights than ayone who hasn't done the same...he plays for Stoke.

Valencia was signed and plays for one of the top two teams in the country and one of the biggest sides in the world, established himself as an important player for that side, was probably man of the match in a major cup final which his team won, has represented and played well for his country at a World Cup, and made a noticable impact on the Champions League only last year.

Gareth Bale's some Welsh bloke who plays for Tottenham Hotspur.

If they both had to retire tomorrow I know who's career I'd prefer to have had.

sincher

Tungay

He's a fatter, slower, more homosexual, and more Blackburn version of the Stoke bloke.

Sultan

Michael Owen scored a champions league hatrick. We all know what happened after that game.

sincher

Someone twatted Michael Owen over his smug bulbous fecking head?

Sultan

Very similar player to Evra with better crossing/decision making capabilities.

Evra is a better full back

noodlehair

"It's like..."
To be fair, Owen's got an entire career as a default MOTD pundit to come yet. Bale and Valencia can only dream of reaching the moderately default heights of being Michael Owen.

Same goes for Tongay

sincher

To be fair, Owen's got an entire career as a default MOTD pundit to come yet.
AAARGH. MOTD = Michael Owen To Die.

Bale and Valencia can only dream of reaching the moderately default heights of being Michael Owen.
Bale has an excellent post-football career beckoning in the various sequels to Planet of the Apes, and Valencia is going to change his name to Jackson and have a pop career before dying young.

Same goes for Tongay
Tangay

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I think Ferguson is after him.

When we signed Rooney, Ferguson came out with a statement along the lines of "if there is a young player with huge potential. then we'll look to sign him".

Bale is no different to Rooney, aside from perhaps 4 or 5 years older. He'd sort our left hand side for a decade and not by being just a player but a star player. £30-35m would be value for him right now.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I think Ferguson is after him.

When we signed Rooney, Ferguson came out with a statement along the lines of "if there is a young player with huge potential. then we'll look to sign him".

Bale is no different to Rooney, aside from perhaps 4 or 5 years older. He'd sort our left hand side for a decade and not by being just a player but a star player. £30-35m would be value for him right now.
There are loads of young players with huge potential, that does not mean we are looking into signing all of them.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
That's completely mad.

No different to Rooney? Based on what?

You realise that Bale's never managed to score even close to double figures in a season, or be among or anywhere close to the league's leading assist providers? and that this season is actually looking like being no exception?

If he's in Rooney's league then Theo Walcott's up there with Lionel Messi

RDCR07

Inter Milan are pretty confident they are going to get him. I don't think they should be. I m not sure Bale is a type of player who wants to move abroad for a different challenge any time soon. I mean he has not won anything with Spurs. He has put in some wonderful performances this past year though.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
There are loads of young players with huge potential, that does not mean we are looking into signing all of them.
A very general statement, and you are right.

But point me towards a better young player that could fit right into our team right now.

i know alot of people complain that we don't get players like him when they are first availible at £5m, but look at how many players we are linked with for that price each season. Had we bought everyone of them we'd spend £60m a season on young players alone who might not make it. Imagine if we did that, how do you find a spot for them in the team? You just can't.

It's one of the natural facts of football that some players need to develop properly at smaler clubs before they take a step up to the big time.

I'm going to make a bet with anyone that wants to take me up on it, that Bale is a United player by this time next year.

I don't expect him to keep up this level of performance until the end of the season, if he did he'd be up for all sorts of accolades and beyond our price, but I think once the season is out he's going to command a fee of around £30m to £35m which is very reasonable for a player that could realistically be the best left winger in the world for the next decade.

RDCR07

A very general statement, and you are right.

But point me towards a better young player that could fit right into our team right now.
Here you go for starters:

Jack Wilshere - one of the best young central midfielders I have seen. He is 18 years of age and his talent is simply outstanding. His vision is excellent and he play either as a deep lying playmaker or as an advanced playmaker. He plays the deeper role when Fabregas is playing. He will, without a shadow of a doubt, walk into our FIRST team today.

Pato - he just turned 21 last month. I don't think anyone needs an intro to this lad. I know he has a few injury problems of late but when on form, this guy is as hard to defend against as anyone else.

Romelu Lukaku - he is 17. He does not look anything like that. He is freaking huge and strong. Another amazing talent. One of the most sort after young talents in Europe right now.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Here you go for starters:

Jack Wilshere - one of the best young central midfielders I have seen. He is 18 years of age and his talent is simply outstanding. His vision is excellent and he play either as a deep lying playmaker or as an advanced playmaker. He plays the deeper role when Fabregas is playing. He will, without a shadow of a doubt, walk into our FIRST team today.

Pato - he just turned 21 last month. I don't think anyone needs an intro of this lad. I know he has a few injury problems of late but when on form, this guy is as hard to defend against as anyone else.

Romelu Lukaku - he is 17. He does not look anything like that. He is freaking huge and strong. Another amazing talent. One of the most sort after young talents in Europe right now.
Wilshire - Will reach a level I'm sure but is currently no where near Bale and a different position to boot. Still "Potential". Rooney at 18 had already showed what he was going to be capable of much like Bale has at 21.

Pato - never played in the Premier League. Massive potential, sure, but worth spending £30m on? I don't think so. I've seen plenty of players with his reputation at his age not make a mark on the game. In al honesty I think he's the next Torres, but he is still a huge risk. He might never make it to that level. Bale has showed already that he is at that level.

Lakaku - Just one of the players like I mentioned above. There is a list of young players with potential that has been linked with United that spans for pages and pages. He's never played in a league higher than Belgium yet you are using him as a comparison to Bale who has torn the whole European Champions team a new arsehole including "the best rightback in the world".

I rarely get excited about rival players especially young players, there has been very few times I have gotten excited over our young players. Recently it has been Ronaldo and Rooney (and Rossi, so I do get it wrong). I just get the feeling that this guy is the real deal and Ferguson won't over look that. If he was putting in these performances age 26 or 27 he might, but he's 21 and I have a feeling he's going to want to get his peacock feathers out and show a bit of power soon. Bale is our man.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
The Mirror is full of muppets, isn't it. Today they claimed the WORLD has fallen in love with Gareth Bale. Well, most football fans outside the UK do not even know who or what Gareth Bale is.
I've never stuck up for a tabloid before let alone a red top, but with the Champions League being shown around the world I'd be surprised if he isn't making a few headlines across the globe.

Lailiani

(Sadly not) Banned
I've never stuck up for a tabloid before let alone a red top, but with the Champions League being shown around the world I'd be surprised if he isn't making a few headlines across the globe.
I had a short overlook on Bild's homepage, there doesn't seem any mention of Gareth Bale. They were too far interested in Werder's and Schalke's failure to pay any attention for Spurs.

I'm not belittling Bale's talent, but really, the world hasn't fallen in love with him as most people don't even know him. It's typical of the British press. They build them up, they knock them down.

AttackingFlair

Wilshire - Will reach a level I'm sure but is currently no where near Bale and a different position to boot. Still "Potential". Rooney at 18 had already showed what he was going to be capable of much like Bale has at 21.

Pato - never played in the Premier League. Massive potential, sure, but worth spending £30m on? I don't think so. I've seen plenty of players with his reputation at his age not make a mark on the game. In al honesty I think he's the next Torres, but he is still a huge risk. He might never make it to that level. Bale has showed already that he is at that level.

Lakaku - Just one of the players like I mentioned above. There is a list of young players with potential that has been linked with United that spans for pages and pages. He's never played in a league higher than Belgium yet you are using him as a comparison to Bale who has torn the whole European Champions team a new arsehole including "the best rightback in the world".

I rarely get excited about rival players especially young players, there has been very few times I have gotten excited over our young players. Recently it has been Ronaldo and Rooney (and Rossi, so I do get it wrong). I just get the feeling that this guy is the real deal and Ferguson won't over look that. If he was putting in these performances age 26 or 27 he might, but he's 21 and I have a feeling he's going to want to get his peacock feathers out and show a bit of power soon. Bale is our man.
Bit of hypocrisy there. Just because a young talent hasn't played in the premiership already at a young age doesn't mean they're any less of a talent than Gareth Bale. Bale is not in the same bracket as Rooney and I can't see him reaching the heights Rooney did last season. Bale has become the most over hyped player in Europe over two games. There are plenty of young talent out there who are either better than him or have a lot more potential him and are likely to go on and be better players (no guarantees though).

I think Coutinho showed more in the game at the San Siro than Bale. His talent seems a level above with his one touch play, vision, control, quick feet etc. I'm not saying he's a better player right now, but I'd be surprised if he didn't become a better player (unless Benitez fecks him up) 18 years old.

I think Brwned mentioned in another thread Marko Marin who again, I wouldn't be surprised if he went on to become a better player than Gareth Bale, quite comfortably as well. Let's not forget the likes of Mesut Ozil who's still only 21 and is definitely a level above the likes of Gareth Bale.

Thomas Muller is also 21 years of age, had a brilliant world cup (young player of the tournament) and season in Germany, no one's hyping him up to be the best in the world in his position or some bullshit like that.

Like RDCR07 has mentioned, the likes of Wilshere are a level above in terms of football brain and I would be surprised if he didn't become a better player than Bale either. Pato clearly will be, he's shown more than Bale already. Sergio Aguero is only one year older than Bale and he's destroyed the likes of Barcelona, more than once. Gonzalo Higuain, again only one year older than Bale, but look at his achievements in world football already. Then there's players like Ever Banega who's also only one year older than Bale, yet he was the second best midfielder in La Liga last season and looks to be one of the best young CMs around. Players like Ganso and Neymar coming through and doing well in the Brazil set up, as well for their clubs. Then there's Javier Pastore who has an insane amount of potential.

But it's Gareth Bale who's supposedly the best left sided player in Europe, best young player around, second only to Xavi apparently etc. All this hyperbole, overrating bollocks over the course of two games, despite his stats in the league and performances against a young Brazillian full back and Phil Neville who managed to keep him quiet. I'm getting sick of this Bale hype. Now I'm not saying he's poor or anything, he's clearly a good player, but come on now.

Commadus

Please to god no I hope we don't sign Bale they will screw us for every last penny. We paid £30m for Berba they would demand nothing short of £40m plus for Bale and he is no way worth that.

We don't need to buy any Tottenham players they look good in an average team but when they have to make the step up they will fail.

Lailiani

(Sadly not) Banned
Please to god no I hope we don't sign Bale they will screw us for every last penny. We paid £30m for Berba they would demand nothing short of £40m plus for Bale and he is no way worth that.

We don't need to buy any Tottenham players they look good in an average team but when they have to make the step up they will fail.
Let's hope Scholesy doesn't read this post, otherwise wie will have a discussion about that marvellous golden boy that is Luca Modric.

Barry Red

I feel sorry for the poor bastard. The way the press are bigging him up at the moment, he's going to be crucified by the NOTW and others before too long. I just hope he copes with it better than Wayne has....

Status
Not open for further replies.