Gareth Bale Transfer Speculation | Done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brightonian

There's a difference between Zizou verbally making love to ze player with a baguette and Paul Scholes telling the player he wants him to be his tree-hitting replacement.
This. Zidane is repeatedly and shamelessly doing it of his own accord. Scholes was asked in an interview (which really shouldn't have involved that sort of question in the first place), and answered briefly and honestly. World of difference.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
This. Zidane is repeatedly and shamelessly doing it of his own accord. Scholes was asked in an interview (which really shouldn't have involved that sort of question in the first place), and answered briefly and honestly. World of difference.
What the feck? You think Zidane asks for a press conference to talk about other players? Don't you think he's just responding to reporters that ask him about the matter?

I honestly don't see the 'world of difference' here, but it's probably just me.

Zen86

Tapping up players is pretty much what Zidane is paid to do, so it shouldn't be much of a surprise.

Cina

What the feck? You think Zidane asks for a press conference to talk about other players? Don't you think he's just responding to reporters that ask him about the matter?

Tree, baguette.
Tree ... baguette.
TREE ... BAGUETTE!

How can't you tell the fecking difference here Vato?

Earthquake

Pokemon expert

I'm almost completely certain he's secretly the president of Marca too.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
Oh, here we are with the 'tapping up' crap again.

I'm pretty sure if I go into the Thiago or Fabregas thread I can find quotes from United players or staff talking about them aswell. But when it's anyone from Madrid answering questions from reporters about certain players we're the villains of football, go figure.

What about Mourinho with Rooney? Or when Pep was openly speaking about Thiago, dozens on here were crying for the same approach, which Moyes more or less did with Fabregas...
Don't even try this, Vato, you're making yourself look like an absolute twat. Honestly.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I've actually thought over this, and if they do get the £85 million and sell him on, does that guarantee them strengthening their squad with that money? Did we go on and splurge our £80 million from Ronaldo? No we spent it on Antonio Valencia and a couple of fringe players. This may be a freak example but I would see this being beneficial primarily to the board and put it down as revenue, with not much of it being reused as funds for other players. Yes, it may be used for one good signing (Soldado looks likely), but it seems like they could afford him along with Paulinho on their current budget anyway.

marjen

For what though? For saying that everyone does it?
I shouldn't really have to spell it out to you. Yes, everyone does it, but no one even comes near the sheer audacity of Real with Zidane heading the entourage. Anyway, this debate is pointless if you honestly think Madrid is "no worse" than anybody else. The only club that comes close is Barca.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
I shouldn't really have to spell it out to you. Yes, everyone does it, but no one even comes near the sheer audacity of Real with Zidane heading the entourage. Anyway, this debate is pointless if you honestly think Madrid is "no worse" than anybody else. The only club that comes close is Barca.
Maybe both clubs will be a little less arrogant when Spain is completely and utterly beyond rescue and is known as New South Germany.

Brightonian

It is. Scholes was asked 'should United sign Fabregas' and answered 'it would be a dream to sign a player like that', before going on to talk about Rooney. Zidane will have been asked 'what's the news with Bale', or something along those lines. If it was the same, he'd have answered 'he's a great player, it would be a dream to sign him.' What he actually said was 'if he wants to talk to Madrid, Spurs should let him. Every player wants to play for Madrid, it's a once in a lifetime opportunity.'

Add to that the fact that it's the second time he's talked about Bale this season, and about the sixth Madrid transfer target he's used the media to try and tap up in as many months. Plus Scholes is not an employee of the club, and I highly doubt his comments at a dads vs sons football match at his kid's school were anything to do with the club. Whereas it's becoming increasingly obvious that Madrid are using Zidane as an actual tactic to try and attract players.

It's completely different.

Nogbadthebad

I personally think Bale is the best British player the country has produced since Paul Scholes, but £85 million, thats as bad as £35 for andy fecking carroll really.

He's great now, got the potential to be int he top 5 players in the world, but fees comparable to Ronaldo? Not for me, there is a huge yawning chasm between Ronaldo and Messi and every other player currently being paid to kick a football. Bale will never be in that league, and I can only see such a pricetag being a negative for him, both in pressure to perform for Bale himself, and expectations he will never, ever be able to live up to for the Madrid fanbase.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
It is. Scholes was asked 'should United sign Fabregas' and answered 'it would be a dream to sign a player like that', before going on to talk about Rooney. Zidane will have been asked 'what's the news with Bale', or something along those lines. If it was the same, he'd have answered 'he's a great player, it would be a dream to sign him.' What he actually said was 'if he wants to talk to Madrid, Spurs should let him. Every player wants to play for Madrid, it's a once in a lifetime opportunity.'

Add to that the fact that it's the second time he's talked about Bale this season, and about the sixth Madrid transfer target he's used the media to try and tap up in as many months. Plus Scholes is not an employee of the club, and I highly doubt his comments at a dads vs sons football match at his kid's school were anything to do with the club. Whereas it's becoming increasingly obvious that Madrid are using Zidane as an actual tactic to try and attract players.

You can't say they are different until you know what has been asked. You're just assuming Zidane is rambling on about him out the blue. More likely he is being asked by a Real Madrid journalist and is answering. Every Madrid representative that is speaking about Bale will just be replying to questions.

Brightonian

Or when Pep was openly speaking about Thiago, dozens on here were crying for the same approach, which Moyes more or less did with Fabregas...
Oh come on now. You seriously think specifically calling a press conference in order to say this:

I want Thiago Alcantara and I have asked [Bayern to make an approach]. I don’t know what will happen. I know Thiago very well. I talked to Rummenigge and Sammer about him, we will wait and then see. I don’t think (adding another midfielder) will be a problem. I spoke to club about my concept and told them why I want Thiago Alcantara. Thiago is the only player I want, that’s what I told them. It’ll be him or no one. We have many players but we the need the special (quality) that Thiago Alcantara brings. Nobody will leave Barcelona unless they feel they won’t play much. He wants to play. That’s why I proposed him to the club. [Bayern] will decide. I told them my opinion.
is the same as being asked the question, 'David, are United in for Cesc Fabregas? What is the latest on the bid?' and answering:

I couldn’t tell you exactly. I’m in contact with the executive vice chairman [Ed Woodward], who has been dealing with it just now. I'll hopefully know a little more in the next day or so. We're trying very hard to make some additions to the squad and hopefully there'll be some good news in the not too distant future.

Brightonian

You can't say they are different until you know what has been asked. You're just assuming Zidane is rambling on about him out the blue. More likely he is being asked by a Real Madrid journalist and is answering. Every Madrid representative that is speaking about Bale will just be replying to questions.
It doesn't matter. The nature of his answer is completely different, and as I say he's already talked about Bale once and has discussed almost every serious Madrid transfer target for the last six months. And he's an employee of the club talking at a club press conference, whereas Scholes was approached by a journalist at his kid's school Dads match, in no official capacity whatsoever. As I say, completely different.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
I see. Was he also bought with a view to sell for profit 2 years down the line?
I should imagine was bought to play football and strengthen the team ... but that's just a wild guess.

As for the rest, potential sell-on value is a factor in the deals reached in many transfers, doubtless just as it was when United signed Ronaldo. Or are you trying to suggest that the need to think about money is beneath the dignity of the mighty MUFC?

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Paulinho in the same breath as Fabregas and Thiago :lol:
You're right, especially when the most important difference is that we've actually signed the player, whilst you've wasted half the summer (and counting) chasing unsuccessfully after the other two.

"A bird in the hand .... " and all that.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I obviously agree with everyone that he's not at the level Ronaldo was when he went for £80m but I think that's sort of besides the point. Cavani and Falcao went for £50m+ whereas Forlan didn't even cost £20m just a year previous to Ronaldo's sale. Both players are worth more but not to that extent - there's been at least a 30% rise in terms of fees paid at the top end of the market. Paying that much doesn't mean they expect Bale to be as good as Ronaldo. I think he'd be well capable of justifying the fee personally. He got 16 goals and 7 assists in 22 games from January onwards and I reckon he is at the stage where he almost guarantees you a goal a game in one way of another. The goals were of such quality and importance that he really has established himself as someone you can rely on for key contributions every game now. It's not inconceivable for him to break into that bracket of being one of the top 3-5 players in the world and if he stays there for 5+ years I'd say he's worth £30m more than Cavani. It's really not an absurd price compared to Neymar's £48m, IMO.

Brightonian

You're right, especially when the most important difference is that we've actually signed the player, whilst you've wasted half the summer (and counting) chasing unsuccessfully after the other two.

"A bird in the hand .... " and all that.
Yep, Spurs are definitely winning the 'quick transfer business' trophy. You can put it where you were planning to put the CL qualification cup.

marjen

I just don't think he's that good.

He's not a £50 million player for me. He's barely a £40 million player.

He's a very, very talented physical specimen with an amazing left foot that plays for his own glory rather than the team. And don't compare it to Ronaldo, he's the world's best player for five years bar Messi.

I don't think he's particularly football smart. I don't think he passes well, except for the odd crossfield pass which he's good at. He doesn't assist many goals for all of his talent. And he doesn't even score that many goals for all of his shots and all of his hype.

So yeah, if I were Spurs I'd rip off Madrid's hand for £50 million, let alone £85 million.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Question is, how far can you go with these tactics? If you keep losing your best players it will pull you back, inevitably. I like the way your club has been managed in the past couple of years, all our banter and arguing aside you've made quite a progress and are much more stable at the minute than 2 or 3 years ago.

You have a big squad capable of competing on two or three fronts at the same time, you have some quality players who wouldn't look out of place at top 4 sides or even top European clubs (Lloris, Vertonghen, Bale, possibly Sandro). You've messed up the transfer business last year by not signing a striker and holding out too long on Moutinho deal which never materialised as I reckon that with Moutinho and for example Damiao in the team you'd finish ahead of Arsenal and Chelsea.

There's no doubt that you are some way ahead of Everton and Liverpool, now you only need to build on that - re-investing £85m you could get for Bale in the market would give better results IMO than having him around. He's good but 2-3 very good player you could buy for that amount will take you further - a left back, creative midfielder and 1-2 wide players from the top shelf added to Paulinho and Soldado already secured and you'd be looking like a proper top 4 side.
I don't really understand your post, taken as a whole.

You start out by saying that if we "keep losing your best players it will pull you [us] back, inevitably". And then you end by saying about Bale "He's good but 2-3 very good player you could buy for that amount will take you further" .... which seems to be the opposite of what you said at the start.

Anyhow, as it happens I think we're in a win-win situation with Bale. If he stays another year, then fantastic, we'll have a front three of Bale, Soldado and Player X (possibly Chadli, maybe Lennon, maybe a new signing). Or if he's sold we'll have a bucket load of cash to hopefully sign, as you say "2-3 very good player" .... to "take you [us] further."

lem8sh

He's a very, very talented physical specimen with an amazing left foot that plays for his own glory rather than the team. And don't compare it to Ronaldo, he's the world's best player for five years bar Messi.

I don't think he's particularly football smart. I don't think he passes well, except for the odd crossfield pass which he's good at. He doesn't assist many goals for all of his talent. And he doesn't even score that many goals for all of his shots and all of his hype.

So yeah, if I were Spurs I'd rip off Madrid's hand for £50 million, let alone £85 million.
Agree totally

walsh

Disagree totally.

marjen

I'd happily take him at Utd for £50m.
Well, I probably would as well. He'd certainly be some player as a winger for us.

It's not my money though. If I were the manager of a football club, looking to get value for my money, I'd never pay £85 million for a player of his class. Never. It's absolutely crazy.

Cina

Well, I probably would as well. He'd certainly be some player as a winger for us.

It's not my money though. If I were the manager of a football club, looking to get value for my money, I'd never pay £85 million for a player of his class. Never. It's absolutely crazy.
Oh, guess I'm preaching to the wrong choir then.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

Zidane is an official employee, part of the coaching staff.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I obviously agree with everyone that he's not at the level Ronaldo was when he went for £80m but I think that's sort of besides the point. Cavani and Falcao went for £50m+ whereas Forlan didn't even cost £20m just a year previous to Ronaldo's sale. Both players are worth more but not to that extent - there's been at least a 30% rise in terms of fees paid at the top end of the market. Paying that much doesn't mean they expect Bale to be as good as Ronaldo. I think he'd be well capable of justifying the fee personally. He got 16 goals and 7 assists in 22 games from January onwards and I reckon he is at the stage where he almost guarantees you a goal a game in one way of another. The goals were of such quality and importance that he really has established himself as someone you can rely on for key contributions every game now. It's not inconceivable for him to break into that bracket of being one of the top 3-5 players in the world and if he stays there for 5+ years I'd say he's worth £30m more than Cavani. It's really not an absurd price compared to Neymar's £48m, IMO.
I don't think Bale has exhibited anything near enough to be looked upon as even a 60m player. He would need to have a repeat of the season he has just had to even make that bar, for me and then you have to minus the CL from the equation when comparing him to the true elite whose bracket he is being forced into with such an evaluation.

Technically, he hasn't shown anything in the Zidane, Figo, C.Ronaldo etc bracket that makes him a bona fide player at that level apart from some of his shooting and some of his crosses, which are nowhere near the level Figo's were at when he was valued at what he was. In each instance, i don't think those fees could be baulked at, all three of the players mentioned were either the best or very close to it to the point of redundancy and subjectivity. I wouldn't have Bale in that bracket off the back of his CV to date and there are a number of players I'd take before him who have moved for a lot less than he will.

I'm not saying he can't better or become an upper-echelon player, but unlike some from the past or even some truly great potential stars active now, I would have my doubts about him.

You've also got to factor in pressure to deliver in a side that suddenly doesn't look at him all wide-eyed and hopeful, but is demanding and expectant that he can outdo his past season at Spurs for them in key games at key times. It's another world for Bale entirely, and nothing like the shuffle from left to right all the aforementioned players took when they went there.

At the very top end, Bale's about a £50m player, and even that's a stretch but can be acceptable because of who his chairman is and hype train behind him, but just catapulting him into the umbrella of true all-time greats for practically no reason at all is a farce, one that only the likes of Perez is capable of.

Status
Not open for further replies.