Gareth Bale Transfer Speculation | Done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy Incognito

Even if we had got him from Southampton a few years back for a much smaller fee, who is to say he'd have made it here anyway?

His first few seasons at Tottenham weren't considered good enough for them, nevermind us.

Injuries to other players saved him from being transfer listed.
I'm sure he was injured for a long time, which commenced a period of being in and out of the side. Was very low on confidence, but to his credit beefed himself up and took his opportunity when played in midfield.

Talent was always there, but shocking 'Arry took a few years to realise he worked better as a midfielder than a left back.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Thats a big if. Kaka had been injured and not at his best before he went to Real - Bale's career is on an upward curve.

He's going to be playing in a great side - his biggest issue is getting a game where he wants to play, rather than where they slot him in, but he has all the attributes to do very well.

You wonder about Madrid sometimes. As you say Kaka was not at his best, yet they paid all that money. No sense sometimes.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Who are those just out of curiosity ? The ones I automatically think of already belong to Barca and Real.

The biggest talents are still in Spain. Silva, Mata, Cazorla, Navas, De Gea and Torres are great talents in England but talents that were proven to be surplus to the big two - hence the exit. Starting XI for both the WC and the last Euro were all Primera players save for Silva although he would've surely been replaced by a healthy Villa for Euro 2012.

By contrast, Bale's arrival will be interesting in that we rarely see an English player outside of the Premiership nevermind one doing well. Although McManaman was a pretty good player for Los Blancos

RedRover

This is a strange position to take. This is a forum to discuss such matters. Players, their values and how they would fit in. Why leave cost/value out? There are several examples of us overpaying on a player and others where we are robbing the selling club. Countless other overpayments by other clubs. Carroll? Do you think spending 35M on him was normal? I bet that stopped them buying a few others for a while. Take a look at the current title thread as another example!

If we spent crazy money on a player we'd have a United tax added to every player after that.
There seems to be some people on here who genuinely think that the club havent got the forsight to plan what they do going forward - as if its football manager and there'll be no budget left to bring in another player later on in the window. Its as if they think the highly paid executives are going to accidently blow the full budget on one player and have their trousers taken down.

The club will have every idea what players they want, what areas they need to address and what they will pay for each player. If they choose to go a bit over what they wanted to pay for a specific player then they must think he's worth it - and that's good enough for me.

Fans have no idea what's going on behind closed doors, but I'd rather have a player in the manager wants and who he thinks will improve the side for a bit more than the clueb expected than be like Arsenal - making bids that aren't going to be accepted and seemingly leaving it at that.

At the end of the day the blokes running the financial side of things at the cluub seem to know what they're doing, so as a fan I'd trust the club to spend sensible amounts on the players they want, hopefully giving the manager the players he feels he needs to kick on.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
The biggest talents are still in Spain. Silva, Mata, Cazorla, Navas, De Gea and Torres are great talents in England but talents that were proven to be surplus to the big two - hence the exit. Starting XI for both the WC and the last Euro were all Primera players save for Silva although he would've surely been replaced by a healthy Villa for Euro 2012.

By contrast, Bale's arrival will be interesting in that we rarely see an English player outside of the Premiership nevermind one doing well. Although McManaman was a pretty good player for Los Blancos
Beckham didn't do half bad there, and Owen I believe had the best goals to minutes in La Liga while there - they just didn't play him enough.

Also need to remember Tommy Graveson and Johnathon Woodgate - Real Madrid legends.

RedRover

You wonder about Madrid sometimes. As you say Kaka was not at his best, yet they paid all that money. No sense sometimes.
Seems not to matter. They sign players and then generate huge sums on the back of them. He was a bust but they've had more successes than failures in big money deals it would seem.

Cina

Seems not to matter. They sign players and then generate huge sums on the back of them. He was a bust but they've had more successes than failures in big money deals it would seem.
Yeah exactly, I'd say given Spanish fans love of chimps and circus animals, and heart shaped hand signals, and cnuts, that Real will sell around 9,400,000 Bale shirts within in a month. Now, I'm no expert of Mathematics, but that's them making back the £94,000,000 straight away. Unreal business by Real imo.

Ronnie O'Sullivan

I wonder how Ronaldo feels about all this. Bale could well come to Real with a World record fee that eclipses his own, earn the same amount albeit having done much less. Knowing the ego of Ronaldo, it can't go too well I guess, especially when he has not been rewarded for his unbelievable goal return and performances at Real. I just think Real have not appreciated Ronaldo enough. Nowhere near. This can only be good news for us as Ronaldo will see out his Real contract and return to us as a FREE transfer. I'm already waiting patiently!

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
There seems to be some people on here who genuinely think that the club havent got the forsight to plan what they do going forward - as if its football manager and there'll be no budget left to bring in another player later on in the window. Its as if they think the highly paid executives are going to accidently blow the full budget on one player and have their trousers taken down.

The club will have every idea what players they want, what areas they need to address and what they will pay for each player. If they choose to go a bit over what they wanted to pay for a specific player then they must think he's worth it - and that's good enough for me.

Fans have no idea what's going on behind closed doors, but I'd rather have a player in the manager wants and who he thinks will improve the side for a bit more than the clueb expected than be like Arsenal - making bids that aren't going to be accepted and seemingly leaving it at that.

At the end of the day the blokes running the financial side of things at the cluub seem to know what they're doing, so as a fan I'd trust the club to spend sensible amounts on the players they want, hopefully giving the manager the players he feels he needs to kick on.

And that's exactly what we are seeing with the bids we ARE currently making. They are sensible. They are not 35M or 100M on the likes of Carroll or Bale (or like any of the other crazy deals going on right now). And I'm happy we haven't joined in with the crazies.

And by the way, in case you hadn't noticed, the highest paid executives make huge mistakes every day so I think it is right to ask questions about transfer fees.

TheGame

:lol: FFS, this has to be a WUM, surely?

What next, are people going to blame us for not completing the signing of EVERY talented youngster int he world? :lol:
Yeah I blame us for not getting every single talented youngster :wenger: Our record isn't exactly great is it, that has been down to the staff we've employed previously though e.g Kenyon.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Yeah I blame us for not getting every single talented youngster :wenger: Our record isn't exactly great is it, that has been down to the staff we've employed previously though e.g Kenyon.
Well it's ridiculous for you to have a go at the club for failing to sign bale from Southampton. He wasn't even a regular in the Spurs side for the best part of 2-3 years. So I don't see how your comment "we could have gotten him for cheap before Spurs" has any relevance whatsoever.

In a world where there's thousands of "talented" youngsters around its impossible to get all your targets, let alone knowing which one will do a Bale & become world class.

Bottom line, £90m for Bale is crazy.

And what record are you referring to? Signing the best players or signing the most talented youngsters? Because iirc our records always been to try & sign talented youngsters & develop our stars. Sure, we've missed out on a few (and a few big names), but that's not what the sports about.

We've had a ton of success - so clearly "our record" is working. Lets hope long may it continue

TheGame

Well it's ridiculous for you to have a go at the club for failing to sign bale from Southampton. He wasn't even a regular in the Spurs side for the best part of 2-3 years. So I don't see how your comment "we could have gotten him for cheap before Spurs" has any relevance whatsoever.

In a world where there's thousands of "talented" youngsters around its impossible to get all your targets, let alone knowing which one will do a Bale & become world class.

Bottom line, £90m for Bale is crazy.

And what record are you referring to? Signing the best players or signing the most talented youngsters? Because iirc our records always been to try & sign talented youngsters & develop our stars. Sure, we've missed out on a few (and a few big names), but that's not what the sports about.

We've had a ton of success - so clearly "our record" is working. Lets hope long may it continue
The record I was referring to was not just for youngsters but for other players as well. In recent years we've not really had the youngsters coming through like we should have, Cleverley, Welbeck and Evans are in the current squad who play most games but we should have more and should be giving more a chance. Anyway this is about Bale, I agree £90m is ridiculous and he is not worth that, but RM are stupid with their money anyway.

Zen86

Bale was a laughing stock for his first couple years at Spurs (remember that 0% win record every game he started?). People weren't cursing us for not signing him from Southampton then..

Sir A1ex

Bale was a laughing stock for his first couple years at Spurs (remember that 0% win record every game he started?). People weren't cursing us for not signing him from Southampton then..
Not really true. Everybody with any sense knew the losing streak was just coincidence and not particularly his fault. He certainly want ripping up trees, but we're talking about a teenager (or just older) playing his first few premier league games.

SATA

So the stage is set now. Reckon the player will be in Madrid tomorrow and will be unveiled in front of the world. Not sure even Gareth Bale himself would believe he will be experiencing what he will be tomorrow when he was still flopping at Spurs

Zen86

Not really true. Everybody with any sense knew the losing streak was just coincidence and not particularly his fault. He certainly want ripping up trees, but we're talking about a teenager (or just older) playing his first few premier league games.
Nobody was exactly tipping him for stardom either way, rather the opposite.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Why are people so surprised? This has been Madrid's transfer policy for years, and it works for them.

Seems to me that they take immense pride in setting world records, and then breaking those same records. Galacticos and all that expensive crap contributing to an image of glamour and uniqueness of a club that can get anyone because they are the mighty Real Madrid.

Of course they come across as a desperate, impulsive, under-performing, egotistical circus of cnuts, but they obviously believe it is the way they should run themselves.

Sir A1ex

He didn't suddenly become good, he progressed from being 18 to being 24. It's a natural progression - Was Ronaldo the beast he ended up being when we first signed him?

I bet if you compare their ratio of goals and assists season-on-season over those years they are pretty similar.

RedRover

And that's exactly what we are seeing with the bids we ARE currently making. They are sensible. They are not 35M or 100M on the likes of Carroll or Bale (or like any of the other crazy deals going on right now). And I'm happy we haven't joined in with the crazies.

And by the way, in case you hadn't noticed, the highest paid executives make huge mistakes every day so I think it is right to ask questions about transfer fees.
Highly paid executives may make mistakes, and it's reasonable for people to ask the question. But fans placing arbitrary sums on players as valuations is what I don't get, as if a suitable player becomes a waste of money because he cost two million more than some fan (with no experience of football other than watching) thinks he should.

Your second point backs up precisely what I'm saying, the club has been sensible so why people think they're Suddenly going to lose the plot I don't know.

That said, it's a balancing act. If we don't address the areas of weakness this season could be very disappointing and could effect how the fans take to Moyes. He needs the tools to do his job.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
What do Real profit from shirt sales as mentioned above?

If it's anything like United, it's nada. The manufacturer rakes in the money for shirt sales and United receive a set annual amount for licensing.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee

If it's anything like United, it's nada. The manufacturer rakes in the money for shirt sales and United receive a set annual amount for licensing.
The purchase of Kaka and Ronaldo led to an immediate renegotiation of their Adidas kitdeal and a huge increase in their income from it. They did the same with their other sponsors and recruited a few new ones.

In terms of commercial revenue they have outgrown Barcelona at a time when Barca had the most successful team in Spanish history. They are an incredibly profitable operation and the freak signings are part of their business strategy.

Or as AS phrased it: "Perez knows how to win the summer (signing) season; he doesn't know how to win the trophy season.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Apart from the 9 times they won it of course...
They haven't been in a final for 11 years.

We've been in 3 finals in 6 years.

So this galatico system isn't some kind of foolproof plan

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet

Always wondered why they don't just make their own shirts...unless nike lose money in the sponsorship deal in a loss leader kind of way...

MrMarcello

What the hell...
http://epiccredos.blogspot.com/2013/08/real-madrid-offers-300million-3-jets.html
(Three weeks old btw)

Saturday, 3 August 2013
Real Madrid Offers £300million, 3 Jets and 79 Bananas for Gareth Bale

Real Madrid have stepped up their interest in the premier league's PFA player of the year, Gareth Bale, by offering Spurs a fee somewhere around £300million, as well as 3 Jets and 79 bananas as Add-ons. Reports are suggesting that Madrid's previous bid of £200million and a row in Planet of the apes 2 wasn't Good enough as Bale already stated that he was no longer going to participate in the franchise.

Reports also suggest that Madrid initally wanted to offer the Bernabéu to Spurs but Spurs felt that it [The Bernabéu] undervalued Bale's potential and thought of it as an insult.

"We admire Madrid's determination to get Bale, we really do." Spurs director Daniel Levy said, "But Offering the Bernabéu for Bale isn't enough. Infact I think of it as more of an insult."

"They will need to bid atleast 3 Bernabéus for us to even consider selling him." AVB said.

This report came after Spurs rejected Man utd's bid of £50m, 2 premier league trophies and a Champions league trophy.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
I still maintain it's too much for a player who might never make it. Ronaldo was proven world class, was the best player in the world the season before we sold him. Bale is barely in the top 10. And his play, which was largely counter-attack based won't be as effective when he's up against teams like Granada who will park the bus.

MrMarcello

Thinking back of the record-setting transfers... Kaka, Ronaldo, Zidane were all Ballon d'or/WPOTY winners and in the top four/five players in the world at each respective transfer. Think Figo won it that year he transferred but I don't recall him being considered in that top four/five players in the world at the time. Then there was Denilson in the late 90s... all hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.