Gareth Bale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Arsenal fans said similar things when we got RVP and he won us the league in his first year. Bale is not injury prone and alot younger. He's been devastating when on form in the PL and in the CL. He had avery good first season in La Liga. Did Beckhams stats ever better that? (I don't know). Bale would win us the league next season if we fix our other weaknesses. Its that simple. He'd be a genuine challenge to Hazard and thats exactly what we need.
I know I'm in the minority here but I hope we stay far away from Bale. He's too limited and for the money being touted I can only see him being a major letdown.

Shark

@NotShark
I think we're going to sign him. Just have that feeling, and considering we've made a bid for him before, there's genuine interest. Move Di Maria into central midfield and we'd have some lethal pace in the team between Bale, himself and Depay.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Maybe someone with his characteristics is what we need. This whole constant keeping the ball for the sake of it possession football is rubbish. You need people who can score goals, create chances and take risks, stamp their authority on the game.

I'd take Bale in a second. He'd be our best player.
Having a player who is fast and can shot from distance is very good, but we need someone who can actively participate to our team play. Bale isn't a team player, he is an incredible individual at the periphery of the team, I don't think that we can support someone like that.

The Purley King

Bale is not injury prone
He is quite injury prone though. Seems to have been out for 2-3 weeks quite a lot this season. Perhaps that is just my perception though would be interested to know the actual figures.
I'd take him for certain, but for £50m tops, which I don't think Madrid will do, would be quite a climb down for them.
He does seem to be someone who relies on confidence more than usual. Get him in, build him up, make him feel wanted and watch him go!

The Purley King

-----------Rooney--------------
Depay-----Di Maria -------- Bale

What a front four that is. Thats not even including Mata.

Stick Herrera and Carrick behind those four and I think we'd be pretty well set.

RedorDead21

I know I'm in the minority here but I hope we stay far away from Bale. He's too limited and for the money being touted I can only see him being a major letdown.
This is simply not true though. He's battered the PL single handedly as his game is tailor made for it. Pace and Power in abundance. Now people say from a standing start he's cant slowly dance like chris waddle out of a tight spot before splitting a defence wide open with the outside of his boot. Its completely nuts. He's unplayable full stop when utilised properly and not having to think about Ronaldo every time he gets on the ball. He'll hand the title to whomever he rocks up at if anyone over here. He's easily worth 50m.

stepic

-----------Rooney--------------
Depay-----Di Maria -------- Bale

What a front four that is. Thats not even including Mata.

Stick Herrera and Carrick behind those four and I think we'd be pretty well set.
or something like

------------Rooney
Depay----------------Bale
------Di Maria--Gundogan/Vidal
------------Carrick

Herrera, Mata and a back up to Carrick to come in where necessary.

Bale and Depay can interchange where necessary, and Di Maria returns to midfield. would need someone slighly more defensive than Herrera in midfield i'd say though, for LVG to trust Di Maria in midfield.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
This is simply not true though. He's battered the PL single handedly as his game is tailor made for it. Pace and Power in abundance. Now people say from a standing start he's cant slowly dance like chris waddle out of a tight spot before splitting a defence wide open with the outside of his boot. Its completely nuts. He's unplayable full stop when utilised properly and not having to think about Ronaldo every time he gets on the ball. He'll hand the title to whomever he rocks up at if anyone over here. He's easily worth 50m.
We'll just have to disagree on Bale then. He has pace and power but lacks that tecnical ability to be a truly great player. If we do sign him and he turns out to be exceptional then I will hold my hands up and admit I was wrong.

Moby

Dick
Given it's almost certain that he'll cost quite a lot, it makes zero sense to splash 60-70 odd million on him when that can easily get us 2 or 3 quality players in other positions. We have plenty of quality in attack as it is.

RedorDead21

We'll just have to disagree on Bale then. He has pace and power but lacks that tecnical ability to be a truly great player. If we do sign him and he turns out to be exceptional then I will hold my hands up and admit I was wrong.
Are you suggesting if he stayed at spurs and continued to perform as he was...technically the best shooter in the league may I add from any distance/angle.....you would still be saying he cannot be a great player because he's technically not good enough?

Castia

Why would we sign Depay and then sign Bale it would make no sense. I cant see this happening. Our options on the left are Di Maria, Depay and Young that's more than enough.

Moby

Dick
Are you suggesting if he stayed at spurs and continued to perform as he was...technically the best shooter in the league may I add from any distance/angle.....you would still be saying he cannot be a great player because he's technically not good enough?
As long as you don't leave a lot of space behind your defenders, there's very little Gareth Bale can do you hurt you.

freshibal

the ultimate combination is genius and insanity
I have mixed feelings about Bale, mainly because im not sure if he would suit us or not.

He has pace and power in abundance, but im not convinced that would suit us, and on the other hand I would love to have him in the team. He's an exceptional player.

in essence its brain says no but heart says yes.

P.S. Imagine we had to lose either Di Maria or Mata to get him. Is it a bit weird that i would rather keep Mata over Di Maria ?

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Bet every one of you who are against your club buying him will be creaming yourselves if you sign him. :lol:

RedorDead21

As long as you don't leave a lot of space behind your defenders, there's very little Gareth Bale can do you hurt you.
Thats the same for Robben and i'd take him, Pirlo can be man marked out of a game by Park, Alonso was nullified by Welbeck, Messi was on the Barca team destroyed by the pace and power of a Bayern team who scored 7 over 2 legs.....see where I'm going here?

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
That, in my opinion, is utter nonsense.

He was dominating games in much the same way as Gerrard was in that purple patch for Liverpool five or six years ago. He held Spurs together single handedly and to say his performances were 'average' in 90% of games is laughable. 90% ??!!!

Real Madrid, like me, obviously saw something you didn't because they sure ain't going to shell out £80m on an average footballer just because he got 20 odd goals for a team not even classed in the top five in England.

When you say you watched almost every Spurs game do you mean highlights on MOTD ? That's hardly a benchmark to properly judge a footballer.
dominating games? Dont know what games did you watch or what dominating means in your world but this is utter nonsense. If i watched only highlights on MOTD i would probably think that Bale was worth that sort of money as he was winning games for Spurs.....

When i say average i dont think he is Matt Jarvis level or something, Bale is a good player(was great one before the change into shit Rony) but at the highest level he is average. But hey, Real Madrid decided to splash the cash on him so he must worth it, big clubs never spend their cash on players who are not good enough, you probably mean that David Luiz is worth 50m also, PSG like you i assume saw something in him.

Have you watched Young and Valencia the last 3 years? Bale's last season average you are having a laugh!
Yes i watch them and they were both shit, whats your point?

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
This exactly. They think signing Depay means Bale doesnt make sense. Ehhhh!
Well, I'd actually sort of agree with that. As laughable as it would've sounded a while ago, Ashley Young has been arguably your best player in recent times. Mata is getting better and better in a United shirt as well. You have options. Is Mata just going to become a £37m bench warmer? He's too good for that, hence why we sold him.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
Arsenal fans said similar things when we got RVP and he won us the league in his first year. Bale is not injury prone and alot younger. He's been devastating when on form in the PL and in the CL. He had avery good first season in La Liga. Did Beckhams stats ever better that? (I don't know). Bale would win us the league next season if we fix our other weaknesses. Its that simple. He'd be a genuine challenge to Hazard and thats exactly what we need.
The van Persie comparison doesn't make any sense. He was great before he joined us in the same league.
What Bale did 3 years ago is not relevant for me. Kagawa destroyed the Bundesliga some time ago too, lost his form and confidence here and hasn't reached his heights anymore in the Bundesliga. Bale is low on confidence too, had an underwhelming season and doesn't suit our system, so no he is not worth the money for me. If we could get him for 40-50 million yeah then why not, but Real will make us pay a similiar fee then they paid and that would be madness.

devil in me

I agree. If the fee was lower I would be all over him but for what Madrid will demand he's never going to be able to justify it. If he gets a couple of injuries and his pace goes then he loses the major part of his game , aka Owen/Torres.
Plus, with Depay in, there really is no need for him.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
Why would we sign Depay and then sign Bale it would make no sense. I cant see this happening. Our options on the left are Di Maria, Depay and Young that's more than enough.
A forward three of: Bale on the right, Depay on the left & Rooney in the center - is pretty tasty though..

I think Di Maria will be off to PSG on loan; with an option to buy (just like our Falcao deal with Monaco). His heart is not in it & maybe the stories are correct - that the burgulary at his home has knocked the stuffing out of him & his family.

I couldnt care less if we spend massively this summer, aslong as we get the right players in & less/no plan B alternatives - like Blind instead of Vidal & Rojo instead of Hummels etc.. Both good players for us this season though..

RedRover

The van Persie comparison doesn't make any sense. He was great before he joined us in the same league.
What Bale did 3 years ago is not relevant for me. Kagawa destroyed the Bundesliga some time ago too, lost his form and confidence here and hasn't reached his heights anymore in the Bundesliga. Bale is low on confidence too, had an underwhelming season and doesn't suit our system, so no he is not worth the money for me. If we could get him for 40-50 million yeah then why not, but Real will make us pay a similiar fee then they paid and that would be madness.
All depends if Real want rid to make space for someone else. They need a scapegoat for a poor season and it'll be hung (unfairly) around his and Ancelotti's neck.

I've said this before but they clearly want De Gea - and I suspect he wants to go. They could move Bale on to United with De Gea going the other way and value the players at whatever they want. They can "hide" a loss on the player and get a player in return that they want. I could see some sort of deal coming about based on that.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
He was great at Spurs but what we've seen since he took the step up to Madrid, is that he does lack technical ability and is not good in tight spaces. We all know he has great pace, power and a good shot on him, but he doesn't have the quality to justify the price we'd have to pay.

RedRover

I have mixed feelings about Bale, mainly because im not sure if he would suit us or not.

He has pace and power in abundance, but im not convinced that would suit us, and on the other hand I would love to have him in the team. He's an exceptional player.

in essence its brain says no but heart says yes.

P.S. Imagine we had to lose either Di Maria or Mata to get him. Is it a bit weird that i would rather keep Mata over Di Maria ?
Pace and power is what we lack. We need to move the ball quickly and get teams backing off, not just let them set up with four at the back and five in midfield all behind the ball. He can go past you if you go close and can score from distance if you sit back. He offers something completely different to what we don't have - an ability to change the pace of the attack in an instant and opposition teams would be petrified of him.

This possession football alone doesn't always break teams down because its just too slow, relying on a bit of magic or picking through banks of bodies in midfield before you can get a shot away.

Bale would add another dimension - we can keep the ball, deal with pressure when needed then break with pace and get in behind teams. That's the key to winning games for me.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
United reportedly offered over £100m for Bale, but Bale wanted Real instead & got him for £20m less than we were willing to pay. So we'd be gettin him at a discount at £80m ;)

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
All depends if Real want rid to make space for someone else. They need a scapegoat for a poor season and it'll be hung (unfairly) around his and Ancelotti's neck.

I've said this before but they clearly want De Gea - and I suspect he wants to go. They could move Bale on to United with De Gea going the other way and value the players at whatever they want. They can "hide" a loss on the player and get a player in return that they want. I could see some sort of deal coming about based on that.
As sickening as it sounds, its probably nailed on for De Gea to move to Real, so we're tryin to get Bale as part of the deal..

I find it a bit shit that De Gea wants to play for Real anyway - given his Athletico allegiances!

RedorDead21

He was great at Spurs but what we've seen since he took the step up to Madrid, is that he does lack technical ability and is not good in tight spaces. We all know he has great pace, power and a good shot on him, but he doesn't have the quality to justify the price we'd have to pay.
Well like I said I'd be happy with 50m. Anything north and my interest wains but thats a no brainer for me. We paid how much for Mata and Fellaini and they don't really address anything. Bale for me gives us Pace and Power. We have Di Maria for pace and trickery.

Coxy

A forward three of: Bale on the right, Depay on the left & Rooney in the centre - is pretty tasty though..

I think Di Maria will be off to PSG on loan; with an option to buy (just like our Falcao deal with Monaco). His heart is not in it & maybe the stories are correct - that the burgulary at his home has knocked the stuffing out of him & his family.

I couldnt care less if we spend massively this summer, aslong as we get the right players in & less/no plan B alternatives - like Blind instead of Vidal & Rojo instead of Hummels etc.. Both good players for us this season though..
Very tasty! For me that's your best 3 since Rooney, ronaldo and Tevez.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
I have watched again the supposedly inexcusable array of "sitters" that Bale missed, and am still perplexed about how he can be singled out as responsible for Real Madrid not going through. Extremely harsh treatment.

The first is the kind of header from a distance, angle and poise that if it goes in everyone would probably classify as a great goal, which I presume is indicative of not being that easy.

Then you have one volley from inside the box with two defenders on top of him. Could have put it in, but to demand 100% accuracy from that position is daft. The ball doesn't come that easy, with barely any time or space to prepare the shot and having to hit it with the leg stretched to his side from an unbalanced position.

Then there's the header to Ronaldo's cross. Certainly looks like the easiest chance but still far from a sitter, having to hit it with a defender right on top of him and at probably the maximum height he can jump. To make a headed ball go down you actually need to hit the ball from above it's midline, why do we all assume it was possible in that circumstance?

The rest are dangerous shots from outside the box.

I again think that's as close as a top performance you can hope from a player in a team that loses the game. It doesn't compute well with being the worst player in the pitch. He could have put some of those in in a better day if course, but being several times close to being the man of the match, and giving excellent work-rate and effort is not terrible. It would be if was missing open goals left and right, but none of those really are like that.

Dazzmondo

People seriously suggesting we shouldn't go in for Bale? Consider this, a terrible season for Bale involves him getting 1 less goal and the same number of assists as Hazard in his best season, and in less games. Bale's mix of power and pace is perfect for the Premier League and I've no doubt he'd be fantastic for us if he joined. For all his skill, di Maria is quite light and the physicality of the Premier League seems to have caused him problems, that wouldn't be an issue for Bale. I would worry with regards to potential Bale injuries, as van Gaal doesn't appear to care for individual training regimes which is likely the reason for the ridiculous number of injuries we had this season. Even so, Bale is one of the best players we could possibly sign, and the decision not to, assuming he is genuinely available of course, would be madness imo.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
Very tasty! For me that's your best 3 since Rooney, ronaldo and Tevez.
Yeah Coxy - that's as close as we'd be alright. There'd be an increase in pace too. Depay & Bale are much faster than Rooney & Tevez were back then.

I was pretty sickened with jealously the other night watchin Barca with their front trio of Messi, Neymar & Suarez - its just magical that is.. Crazy fantasy football line-up that..

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I have watched again the supposedly inexcusable array of "sitters" that Bale missed, and am still perplexed about how he can be singled out as responsible for Real Madrid not going through. Extremely harsh treatment.

The first is the kind of header from a distance, angle and poise that if it goes in everyone would probably classify as a great goal, which I presume is indicative of not being that easy.

Then you have one volley from inside the box with two defenders on top of him. Could have put it in, but to demand 100% accuracy from that position is daft. The ball doesn't come that easy, with barely any time or space to prepare the shot and having to hit it with the leg stretched to his side from an unbalanced position.

Then there's the header to Ronaldo's cross. Certainly looks like the easiest chance but still far from a sitter, having to hit it with a defender right on top of him and at probably the maximum height he can jump. To make a headed ball go down you actually need to hit the ball from above it's midline, why do we all assume it was possible in that circumstance?

The rest are dangerous shots from outside the box.

I again think that's as close as a top performance you can hope from a player in a team that loses the game. It doesn't compute well with being the worst player in the pitch. He could have put some of those in in a better day if course, but being several times close to being the man of the match, and giving excellent work-rate and effort is not terrible. It would be if was missing open goals left and right, but none of those really are like that.
He wasn't to blame at all. Thought he was one of their better attackers who actually had the balls to take a few wacks from outside the box, narrowly missing once or twice.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
A forward three of: Bale on the right, Depay on the left & Rooney in the center - is pretty tasty though..
Take away Rooney and replace him with a proper goal scorer and then we're talking.

Status
Not open for further replies.