Garth Crooks - Team of the Week

RedMist99

I love his tendency to include and briefly mention any player who manages to get on the scoresheet, then proceed to talk in length about the opposition. That's not the goal of your weekly article, Garth!

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Why on earth is Van Dijk in that team :lol:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Thought Davinson Sanchez was very good vs City.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Did Alison do a single thing in their game, didn't watch it, but from reading about it seemed like they were in complete control throughout.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Ahh good old Garth Crooks teams where everyone who scores gets pushed in, no matter what. Although, I think someone told him that his formations had become a laughing stock and he has toned down a bit.
Gone are the times where we got FIFA yolo formations like this:
or that

He basically just picks whoever scores, even if it ricocheted off their knee and they didn't even see it. There are some truly terrible pundits out there but he's possibly the worst of them all.

Chairman Steve

Garth Crooks Team of the Week should really be named the FPL team of the week. It’s basically who scored, who assisted, who got a clean sheet and if all else fails, who’s the biggest name to put in that position.

Bryan Mbeumo looked pretty awesome for Brentford against Arsenal, but since he did not score or assist, he does not get credit.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
This is the second Manchester United league performance I have seen under Ralf Rangnick and without de Gea in goal they would have lost them both.
Apparently we’d have lost the Palace game without de Gea in goal. Did they even have a threatening shot on target? I remember him stopping two soft daisy cutters early on and then not being troubled again. In fact the whole story of the match was about how much we limited Palace’s opportunities.

I’m fascinated with what goes on in Crook’s brain. He has numerous falsehoods in every single team of the week. I can’t tell if he’s phoning it in or if his brain is rotting from the inside.

Classical Mechanic

Apparently we’d have lost the Palace game without de Gea in goal. Did they even have a threatening shot on target? I remember him stopping two soft daisy cutters early on and then not being troubled again. In fact the whole story of the match was about how much we limited Palace’s opportunities.

I’m fascinated with what goes on in Crook’s brain. He has numerous falsehoods in every single team of the week. I can’t tell if he’s phoning it in or if his brain is rotting from the inside.
That's his shtick, he comes up with oddball opinions that get people het up. It's probably just the way he is. Peter Schmichel is the same. His opinions on football are totally niche.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
That's his shtick, he comes up with oddball opinions that get people het up. It's probably just the way he is. Peter Schmichel is the same. His opinions on football are totally niche.
Yeah but it’s not an opinion. It’s factually incorrect.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
You're not wrong about him going on about the opposition :lol:

Emmanuel Dennis: "At the moment we are in a very difficult situation," said De Gea in his post-match interview. "We don't know what to do with the ball, we don't know how to defend properly."

What a terrible indictment of the Manchester United coaching staff. When a player is prepared to come on national TV and be so scathing of his team's performance, it can only mean one thing and that is the end of the manager. And so it proved. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's departure was inevitable.

The arrival of Ronaldo only served to paper over the cracks, while the arrival of Claudio Ranieri might actually save Watford.

Meanwhile, Emmanuel Dennis looks the part and might be as big a star in the Africa Cup of Nations for Nigeria in January as he was against United.

Nickosaur

My favourite Garth quote was when we announced Rangnick as interim.
They have gone for Ralf Rangnick. Ralf who? I can almost feel the disapproval and contempt for the appointment buzzing around Old Trafford already, and that's before the new interim coach has taken up his position.
From this team of the week article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59454292

The mans on another planet

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Apart from the fact that Conor Coady is a very good defender, his movement in the opposition penalty area is reminiscent of a striker. You can tell when a player loves scoring goals because they go hunting for them. Everton are still some way from becoming a top-six side but anything less will see Lampard fighting to retain his job. Talk of the Everton manager taking over from England boss Gareth Southgate at the end of the World Cup may not be without foundation but is premature. Lampard is hugely likable but widely inexperienced.
:lol:

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Garth Crooks is stealing a living, he's a moron.

He's played way too much FM or something with his mental formations and playing players out of position. Picked 3 left backs in a back 3 before the knobhead.

Crimson King

Extra special this week. Puts Rashford in, then spends two small sentences giving him credit, and another three paragraphs complaining that Sabitzer should’ve been sent off, and how the referee favoured United.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64699014
Jesus, talk about hyperbole. Can't believe the BBC actually let him publish that shite. He's the one who should be relieved of his duties, he's completely lost it.

arthurka

We are relevent and that's what it is, they just can't stand that we are slowly getting there.

eire-red

Jesus, talk about hyperbole. Can't believe the BBC actually let him publish that shite. He's the one who should be relieved of his duties, he's completely lost it.
Saka's late tackle on Moreno was a lot more dangerous, but I guess Crooks was too busy inserting his tongue between Saka's butcheeks to notice.

Red Royal

This guy is comedy gold.
He had De Gea as his keeper in his team of the week, after Forrest had an amazing 0 shots on target.

Erik the Red

This guy is comedy gold.
He had De Gea as his keeper in his team of the week, after Forrest had an amazing 0 shots on target.
This is what some de Gea fans don't seem to understand. Having complete command of you penalty area, claiming every cross, etc, so that the opposition cannot get a single shot on target is what makes a great keeper, not someone like Navas who makes 20 saves in a game but still concedes 2 goals. How did Navas allow us to have so many shots on goal???

Doracle

He seems to just stick players in because he wants to comment on them. In this case, making the slightly bizarre point that DDG should be captain.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
If a defender scored - they go in his team.
DDG didn’t do anything to deserve a TOTW pick. Navas kept it from being 7-0.

Crooks has the easiest job on the BBC payroll.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
He seems to just stick players in because he wants to comment on them. In this case, making the slightly bizarre point that DDG should be captain.
He had a proper rant about someone a few weeks ago, don't think the player was even in his team? Odd bloke.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
some of you comment like you expect him to have actually watched all of the weekend games or know any of the players.

vodrake

This guy is comedy gold.
He's perfected the art of Aura Defending™. Just gives a steely glare and forwards fluff their shots into Row Z

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I find it so amusing reading his columns as he seems to make no effort to condense his writing and make it palatable to the reader.

The first goal from Gundogan was a gem. He literally stroked the ball home like a conductor providing the opening stroke of his baton to a symphony. The problem for Leeds United and their new manager, Sam Allardyce, was that Gundogan was just getting started. His second goal came within eight minutes of his first as the Germany international received the ball with his left foot, and with one touch feinted to put the ball in the keeper's bottom left-hand corner but brilliantly and deliberately pulled his shot around and buried it in the opposite corner of the net.

Occasionally he just decides to make six points instead of one.

He can't make the recovery runs he used to and on the odd occasion he is dispossessed or someone gets a march on him. A point highlighted when Brentford's Bryan Mbeumo turned him on the halfway line and raced half the length of the pitch before putting the ball in the back of the net. Fortunately for Liverpool and Van Dijk, the goal was ruled offside. That wouldn't have happened three years ago. Nevertheless the inspirational Dutch defender is starting to look more and more dangerous in the opposition's penalty area. His beautifully controlled header back across the six-yard box for Mohamed Salah to tap home was as intelligent as it was unselfish.

And frequently goes full-on in terms of commenting about stuff other than the player's performance.

It's difficult to leave Harry Kane out of my team, having scored the winning goal against Crystal Palace, which brings him closer to Alan Shearer's Premier League record, and then clears a certain equaliser off the line. Neither can you ignore the fact that he has somehow remained utterly professional amid an avalanche of mismanagement and chaos at the heart of his football club. Three managers have taken charge of his dressing room in a matter of weeks, which means they almost certainly will not finish in the top four when at one point they looked nailed on. Spurs are no nearer finding a replacement for Antonio Conte than they were the moment he walked out the door. Yet you wouldn't know any of that when watching Kane. The England captain is the consummate professional and that is why he is in my team.

I have no idea how he's still on the payroll and imagine it's a literal nightmare having to edit his articles.

Hughes35

Garth is living the dream.

He's obviously not the brightest and also seems to put in zero effort yet gets paid for his teams of the week and "Insight". I've never heard anybody have a good word to say about him as a "pundit".