Gary Lineker’s constant ‘heart failure’ jokes to Glenn Hoddle...

Born2Lose

I don't think MOTD is a place for these kinds of jokes personally. Main difference with this joke and a few others is that joking about people going bald is seen as socially acceptable (50% of people refer to Guardiola this way) who would never dare to call him a black fraud or gay fraud etc. Of course people shouldn't be too sensitive, and we can't always police everything, but there are thinks I don't think should me said on certain TV shows such as MOTD.
Agree with this. If you look at a guy and think bald, it probably says a lot about the workings of your mind and how you identify every group of people, regardless of what comes out of your mouth.

Smores

Sure but the context here is that they're making these jokes on a national TV.
Fine but it's to their mates said in good spirit. If the suggestion is they can't joke amongst themselves if the joke applies equally to other individuals that's a sad state of censorship, to me at least. It's an entertainment show at the end of the day so i don't think it can be classed as unexpected, it isn't the news.

There's a leap of difference between making jokes about superficial characteristics (bald/big nose) that don't really matter and jokes about people who face a genuine hardship because of their skin/sexuality etc.

I'm fairly certain these complaints are from the Brexit lot who hate Gary due to his twitter activity.

RochaRoja

Who even watches MOTD anymore anyway? I’m assuming it’s just Top Gear fans who have had to migrate elsewhere for their helping of shite dad banter.

pacifictheme

Bald jokes are an interesting one. Going bald is traumatic for a lot of people. For some it causes crippling anxiety and depression yet it is seen as socially acceptable to mock people for it.
Yet being fat is usually something someone does to themselves yet its no longer ok to mock them for being a greedy whale.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I've always found it quite strange how taking the piss out of someone being bald is acceptable. If it was women that tended to go bald I doubt it would be, because as @Classical Mechanic says, it can be hard for some to deal with and you can bet this would be brought up. I think this is down to the culture of blokes not wanting to show weakness and make a meal out of it themselves. Maybe it's best not to take everything as too offensive though, I dunno.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
Yet being fat is usually something someone does to themselves yet its no longer ok to mock them for being a greedy whale.
It can sometimes be hormonal to be fair.

Hormones are powerful things and can quite easily force someone to eat a bucket of chicken and six cakes.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Self deprecating jokes are the basis of British humour. Christ, people need to relax.

MrPooni

The amount of people in this thread using the term "snowflake" without irony is more sad and worrying than any number of Gary Lineker's Dad jokes tbh.

RochaRoja

Probably just people who like football i guess.
I haven’t lived in the UK for well over a decade but I assume it’s actually the 21st century over there and you don’t still have to rely on watching some stale old farts at 10:30 on a Saturday night to get the highlights.

Member 39557

I haven’t lived in the UK for well over a decade but I assume it’s actually the 21st century over there and you don’t still have to rely on watching some stale old farts at 10:30 on a Saturday night to get the highlights.
Don't be so offensive.

Coxy

Who even watches MOTD anymore anyway? I’m assuming it’s just Top Gear fans who have had to migrate elsewhere for their helping of shite dad banter.
Pure speculation - but I imagine it's people who enjoy football.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Watching MOTD is a tradition for most people.

Classical Mechanic

I think MOTD is pretty ingrained into English culture if you pre-date the internet era. The theme music is iconic for a start. I don't watch it often but its a kind of reassuring to know its there.

Classical Mechanic

Fine but it's to their mates said in good spirit. If the suggestion is they can't joke amongst themselves if the joke applies equally to other individuals that's a sad state of censorship, to me at least. It's an entertainment show at the end of the day so i don't think it can be classed as unexpected, it isn't the news.

There's a leap of difference between making jokes about superficial characteristics (bald/big nose) that don't really matter and jokes about people who face a genuine hardship because of their skin/sexuality etc.

I'm fairly certain these complaints are from the Brexit lot who hate Gary due to his twitter activity.
I'm not viewing this through the lens of politics here. Forget about who you think made the complaint and if it was politically loaded because Linekar has a similar political alignment to you.

I'm not saying that its akin to racism or homophobia. Its the same as mocking someone because they're fat, although being fat is something you generally have more control over, it's generally not seen as socially acceptable anymore. It would be labelled as 'fat shaming'. It's 'body shaming' strictly speaking.

I've always found it quite strange how taking the piss out of someone being bald is acceptable. If it was women that tended to go bald I doubt it would be, because as @Classical Mechanic says, it can be hard for some to deal with and you can bet this would be brought up. I think this is down to the culture of blokes not wanting to show weakness and make a meal out of it themselves. Maybe it's best not to take everything as too offensive though, I dunno.
Totally agree. As I mentioned previously, it is something that causes mental health issues for many men.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Hope where you live is better than here then, good luck:rolleyes:

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
Thing is I'm bald and I don't mind bald jokes and make them myself but I work with one guy who is obviously extremely sensitive about it. Should his feelings not be considered?

I'd also add that when I went bald I did find it traumatic, to an extent, for a couple of years and it did cause anxiety.
I think most jokes similar to the bald ones can be tailored from person to person, like lineaker with hoddle, he clearly recognises that hoddle doesn't mind, same with Murphy and shearer.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
I feel emotionally vulnerable now.

pacifictheme

Of course but not everyone has sky or likes thrir coverage. Plus its quite nice to avoid the scores all day and watch it.

izzydiggler

I think most jokes similar to the bald ones can be tailored from person to person, like lineaker with hoddle, he clearly recognises that hoddle doesn't mind, same with Murphy and shearer.
The difference is that it's on TV to a large audience...I have a gay friend and some of our conversations/jokes would get me sacked, so I'd never say them at work or in front of people I didn't know. You go to a Frankie Boyle show and you know what to expect or could leave....when it's taxpayer funded MOTD, then it's a bit different.

For what it's worth, I think that if people take offence to jokes, then it's their problem...but then you have to apply it to everything. The problem is when you start saying "bald jokes are OK but NEVER ones about sexuality etc" - doesn't matter what the subject, somebody will take offence and it could bring up some really painful memories - Hoddle might be OK with a joke but people that lost their parent's to heart disease or someone who's just been diagnosed with a life-threatening heart condition, not so much.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
The amount of people in this thread using the term "snowflake" without irony is more sad and worrying than any number of Gary Lineker's Dad jokes tbh.
I think it has its uses. No-one is crying about the word gammon being trotted out in these threads.

Mick1

You re coming up extremely big headed and ignorant, whilst also insulting half of the posters who watch motd, and even took a shot at top gear fans. Give it a rest, couple of Xanax pills, we ll be here waiting

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Remember when RVN was getting called Horseface a lot in the press? Lineker quipped on MOTD “why the long face Ruud”?

I went all snowflake and wrote an email to the bbc along the lines of I tune in to watch football highlights not to watch linekers poor standup comedian routine

Not been the same since Des left
Ah Des was the man

2 man midfield

Lineker is great.
I genuinely don’t understand the shit he gets. Pardon the pun.

He comes across like a really nice bloke. I know he’s accused of being a bit of a ‘luvvie’ by certain crowds, but he seems to divide opinion in ways I can’t really fathom.

He’s committed the heinous crime of cracking a joke. Oh no.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

He comes across like a really nice bloke. I know he’s accused of being a bit of a ‘luvvie’ by certain crowds, but he seems to divide opinion in ways I can’t really fathom.

He’s witty, enjoyable to listen to and probably one of the best interviewers in football.

He seamlessly made the transition from footballer to presenter. Think people take his tongue in cheek jokes too seriously.

POF

I don't think MOTD is a place for these kinds of jokes personally. Main difference with this joke and a few others is that joking about people going bald is seen as socially acceptable (50% of people refer to Guardiola this way) who would never dare to call him a black fraud or gay fraud etc. Of course people shouldn't be too sensitive, and we can't always police everything, but there are thinks I don't think should me said on certain TV shows such as MOTD.
You're right. Laddish "banter" and football just don't mix. They've clearly misjudged their target audience.

RochaRoja

You re coming up extremely big headed and ignorant, whilst also insulting half of the posters who watch motd, and even took a shot at top gear fans. Give it a rest, couple of Xanax pills, we ll be here waiting
Come on, Top Gear fans are absolutely fair game.

2 man midfield

He’s witty, enjoyable to listen to and probably one of the best interviewers in football.

He seamlessly made the transition from footballer to presenter. Think people take his tongue in cheek jokes too seriously.
Yeah, agreed.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Gary Linekar insulting you must be tricky.

Do you go for tried and trusted "You shit yourself, Gary" or gamble and try to think of a different, wittier insult?

RochaRoja

He riled up the Daily Mail lot by actually having a social conscience. He seems like a decent fella but he’s never stood much chance of being entertaining surrounded by dullards like Shearer and Murphy.