Gary Lineker’s constant ‘heart failure’ jokes to Glenn Hoddle...

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Well yeah but we aren’t talking about other people.

If Lineker is targeting anyone who has had heart problems with his joke then of course, that is bang out of order.”

anyone
/ˈɛnɪwʌn/
pronoun
  1. 1.
    any person or people.
    "there wasn't anyone there"
Reading it back, I think I, and maybe others, thought you were suggesting that he was intentionally mocking everyone who'd had a heart attack, rather than just Hoddle.

Can you clarify? @rcoobc also asked about it.
Ahhh, now it all makes sense. Yeah, I was in the same boat as you @Vidyoyo.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
There's a time and a place for most things, including jokes. If a tall man walks down the street he shouldn't need to be bombarded by tall jokes, even if they are aimed at someone else. This is exactly like that, it's not about being easily offended, but about common courtesy in a public space. And to be clear, there have been numerous heart failure jokes and bald jokes on the football shows hosted by Lineker lately, this is not just about people who are offended by a single joke. I don't really care about it, but it's sad to see so many people who just jump on people who raise a concern of a consistent trend instead of discussing what kind of atmosphere a football show on national television should aim to create.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
There are very few things in this world more patronising and insufferable than taking offense ON BEHALF of other people.
Totally. If Hoddle is OK with it, there's no issue. Let's all move on to the next source of mock-outrage.

Champagne Football

Linekar is alright. He has one of those smug heads that's very easy to dislike, but some of his jokes are half decent the odd time. At least he tries.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Between Neville and Lineker, it's probably safest if we just ban punditry altogether.

hill16bhoy

Supports
Celtic, Liverpool and The Dubs
Are we actually back to the ludicrous situation where Jimmy Hill equated "chinny" with the n word, as Stewart Lee so memorably skewered?

Em, yes, I guess we are.

ValenciaRocks

This shouldn’t even be discussed imo...

Wtf is wrong with the world when a football presenter makes a very mild joke on his fellow pundits behalf, and it’s deemed as inappropriate?

I’m awfully sorry to all the bald men out there who took offence to this but I think your being overly sensitive. Comedians always have and always will make light of such topics.

If you don’t think a bit of banter like this has a place in football punditry then perhaps you should just watch the 10 O’clock news instead.

Btw I’ve been losing my hair since I was about 21. It is what it is.

RamblingRebel

Hitler dead!
Supports
Burnley
Seem to remember Shearer taking the mick out of Linekars ears a couple times...he even does it himself.

Why do people get offended on others behalf these days? There is no malice in the banter amongst mates.

Is there really nothing better going on in your lives apart from waiting around on the corners of the internet just waiting to be offended for someone else.

Gopher Brown

Well, I think it is unfair to make Glenn the butt of the joke. He might be able to take it, but he certainly can't dish it out...

"...when Glenn tried to be funny it was time to pass around the laughing gas – he was probably the unfunniest man I have ever known." - Tony 'Born and raised in Kildare' Cascarino

mu4c_20le

Linekar is alright. He has one of those smug heads that's very easy to dislike, but some of his jokes are half decent the odd time. At least he tries.
He looks smug but he isnt, he's just a kid at heart. I can see how someone might think that if they arent familiar with him though.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Why are people so desperate to make all TV/public spaces entirely humourless and bland?
so they can then cry about how pundits are bland and unwilling to give their honest opinion about anything.

Chris Sutton and Robbie Savage are complete tossers but at least they say what they think

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Why do people get offended on others behalf these days? There is no malice in the banter amongst mates.
It's not the worst thing in the world by any stretch, and it doesn't affect me, but taking the piss out of someone being bald in front of thousands doesn't just affect the intended target.

RamblingRebel

Hitler dead!
Supports
Burnley
It's not the worst thing in the world by any stretch, and it doesn't affect me, but taking the piss out of someone being bald in front of thousands doesn't just affect the intended target.
He didn't get the memo, first thing e said when he introduced Danny Murphy and Ian Wright was "They are here to "comb over the highlights" and Wrighty was near pissing himself with laughter!

At end of the day it's like Brexit. Very polarizing!

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
He didn't get the memo, first thing e said when he introduced Danny Murphy and Ian Wright was "They are here to "comb over the highlights" and Wrighty was near pissing himself with laughter!

At end of the day it's like Brexit. Very polarizing!
Or he was mocking the morons on Twitter that constantly complain.

Also “combing over” the highlights is not an uncommon expression.

If people go through life looking to be offended they’ll find a reason