Gary Neville - Pundit

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

Think there is definitely double standards from Gary regarding Pogba and Kane which was put to him earlier in the week in that season preview.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast

Think there is definitely double standards from Gary regarding Pogba and Kane which was put to him earlier in the week in that season preview.
I spotted that as well, sourness wanting to end it know he’s the main man against Pogba, micha is dead right, Pogba turns up plays and his agent talks shit and he’s painted as the devil, saint kane says he wants to leave in an interview with Gary doesn’t turn up to training and the game and yet he’s the good guy.

Paxi

I spotted that as well, sourness wanting to end it know he’s the main man against Pogba, micha is dead right, Pogba turns up plays and his agent talks shit and he’s painted as the devil, saint kane says he wants to leave in an interview with Gary doesn’t turn up to training and the game and yet he’s the good guy.
They’re all at it. Good on Micah to pull them up on it.

TrustInOle

Wow! Massive respect for Richards! Brings up a brilliant point about the double standards but the minute he brings up very valid arguments, he gets completley shut down to the point even the presenter is clearly being told to cut the conversation instantly.

As he says, thought pundits were about neutral discussion and not pushing narratives. :rolleyes:

E-mal

Good on Micah to question their sincerity. Hippocrates the lot of them.

Paxi

Nothing new for Gary being a hypocrite, though. Have you all seen the way he runs Salford? Axing managers left and right…

Dante

Average bang

Micah is joining the dots between different events, on different timelines, and with different outcomes. He's totally wrong in the way he's painting the narrative here.

Pogba got abuse when he said he wanted to move club. Not only one time, but on several occasions over the last few years.

And the agent he employs has said the same thing numerous times as well. If Raiola had done it just once, you could claim it was him going rogue. But he's parroted his client's same message over and over. A tactic that's not being repeated with Haaland, by way of comparison. So there's something deeper at play.

If it's a deliberate ploy by Pogba to put himself in the window, there's nothing wrong with fans being upset about it. Football isn't just a business for supporters, it's an emotional connection. So when that connection isn't reciprocated with commitment, players are going to be judged accordingly.

Also, Neville hasn't defended Kane for skipping training. Quite the opposite. He's been highly critical. And if Micah hadn't noticed, Kane was getting abuse by the Tottenham crowd as well today. Something that hasn't been done at OT for Pogba.

The 'saint' comment is getting overblown due to bad faith pundits changing the order of events. Neville said he was a saint up until 3 weeks ago. Not after.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Gary's embarrassing himself over this Kane stuff. Listening to him talk about Kane is like listening to North Korean diplomats talk about Kim Jong Un. The dear Kane does no wrong, the dear Kane is above criticism.

Honestly, it's bizarre. Gary has defended Kane more than he's defended Man Utd since the day he first stepped into a Sky Sports studio.

I am just shocked that Gary can't bring himself to say that what Kane's done is anything less than saintly. He just can't.

Then you get into what about Pogba? What about him? He should have stopped his agent talking smack. Yes. He should. Kane should have also turned up for training and not tried to talk down his asking price in an interview. Right? Why can Gary accept the former not the latter?

Dante

Average bang
Gary's embarrassing himself over this Kane stuff. Listening to him talk about Kane is like listening to North Korean diplomats talk about Kim Jong Un. The dear Kane does no wrong, the dear Kane is above criticism.

Honestly, it's bizarre. Gary has defended Kane more than he's defended Man Utd since the day he first stepped into a Sky Sports studio.

I am just shocked that Gary can't bring himself to say that what Kane's done is anything less than saintly. He just can't.

Then you get into what about Pogba? What about him? He should have stopped his agent talking smack. Yes. He should. Kane should have also turned up for training and not tried to talk down his asking price in an interview. Right? Why can Gary accept the former not the latter?
He has. He's said it's wrong and disrespectful.

the_cliff

Harry Kane has never performed for club or country when it mattered. Every final/semi final he's ever been in for Tottenham he's been anonymous. Yet, when his team loses his team gets the blame. It's always his team is not good enough.

When United lose it's all on Pogba's head. They always say Pogba should be carrying the team, performing better blah blah blah. Yet, Pogba's won more trophies and scored in more finals for United than Harry Kane has for Tottenham.

The double standard is mental. But again, it's expected, we're the most hated team in the league. Teams can go around singing Sancho and Rashford let the country down. But Saka gets a round of applause everywhere he goes (not that he doesn't deserve it). Just pointing out the blatant double standards wherever United are concerned.

Can't blame em though United ruined all their childhoods.

Paxi

Micah is joining the dots between different events, on different timelines, and with different outcomes. He's totally wrong in the way he's painting the narrative here.

Pogba got abuse when he said he wanted to move club. Not only one time, but on several occasions over the last few years.

And the agent he employs has said the same thing numerous times as well. If Raiola had done it just once, you could claim it was him going rogue. But he's parroted his client's same message over and over. A tactic that's not being repeated with Haaland, by way of comparison. So there's something deeper at play.

If it's a deliberate ploy by Pogba to put himself in the window, there's nothing wrong with fans being upset about it. Football isn't just a business for supporters, it's an emotional connection. So when that connection isn't reciprocated with commitment, players are going to be judged accordingly.

Also, Neville hasn't defended Kane for skipping training. Quite the opposite. He's been highly critical.

The 'saint' comment is getting overblown due to bad faith pundits changing the order of events. Neville said he was a saint up until 3 weeks ago. Not after.
Neville said that he knows Kane, and something had to have happened for him to act this way. Sounds to me like he’s making up excuses for him.

What about doing an interview with Kane where he bizarrely valued himself. If Pogba did that with one of the French journalists, you think there wouldn’t be a pile on for Pogba?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

He shits on United all the time while placing his tongue firmly up City & Liverpool’s arse. I don’t get it.

Dante

Average bang
Neville said that he knows Kane, and something had to have happened for him to act this way. Sounds to me like he’s making up excuses for him.

What about doing an interview with Kane where he bizarrely valued himself. If Pogba did that with one of the French journalists, you think there wouldn’t be a pile on for Pogba?
There is a pile on on Kane. The story's been in the news for ages, and the fans were chanting 'are you watching Harry Kane?'

E-mal

Also, Neville hasn't defended Kane for skipping training. Quite the opposite. He's been highly critical. And if Micah hadn't noticed, Kane was getting abuse by the Tottenham crowd as well today. Something that hasn't been done at OT for Pogba.

You're very wrong mister.
Not once has Pogba refused to report to training while the other player basically went on strike , I know whose offence is more grevious.
In addition, Pogba has never come out to say he wants to leave, his agent might have said quite a few things and I personally wouldn't mind if we let Paul go, but there's definitely double standard.
Neville basically was trying to make excuses for Kane, like calling him a saint when basically the prove was staring him in the face, trying to say something must have happened to make Kane behave this way. Pogba will basically be staring at the barrel if he had behaved same way.

Dante

Average bang
You're very wrong mister.
Not once has Pogba refused to report to training while the other player basically went on strike , I know whose offence is more grevious.
In addition, Pogba has never come out to say he wants to leave, his agent might have said quite a few things and I personally wouldn't mind if we let Paul go, but there's definitely double standard.
Neville basically was trying to make excuses for Kane, like calling him a saint when basically the prove was staring him in the face, trying to say something must have happened to make Kane behave this way. Pogba will basically be staring at the barrel if he had behaved same way.
Yes, he did.

You're applying a double standard yourself. The accusations against Kane are hearsay that he's denied. But if that's an acceptable level of evidence against HK, it should also be an acceptable level of evidence against PP. In which case accusations of exaggerating injuries, downing tools, laughing after defeats, courting bids from rival teams, etc. come into play.

Paxi

There is a pile on on Kane. The story's been in the news for ages, and the fans were chanting 'are you watching Harry Kane?'
This is on Spurs’ fans. To be honest they’re completely right to give him a bit of stick. Everything that Kane is getting is to be expected. Just as when Pogba was getting dogs abuse on numerous occasions.

Coops73

Souness has issues with Pogba, I get that it comes across personal with him sometimes, which I don’t get, other than the fact he’s a United player and yeah Kane seems to be acting like a cnut when it was his decision not too long ago to sign a long term deal but feck me let’s not pretend Pogba hasn’t got a clue what his agent Is doing and saying, are some of you lot really that naive?

He has. He's said it's wrong and disrespectful.
In the very next breath he said something must have pushed him to it behind the scenes. Has he ever made such excuses for any other player?

His bias towards Kane is remarkable to me.

GueRed

He always puts himself down when it comes to his playing career. Overall (apart from 5-6 months in 2000) he was a very good and important right-back for us who improved every year...

The way he goes on about himself you'd think he was a Vauxhall Conference League player.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
The Overplay video. It's in the football forum..
I've watched the overplay video & the post-match discussion, he defends Kane in every one of them. When he says it's wrong, but... nothing really matters before the "but". He keeps alluding to the mysterious "something" that happened behind the scenes that forced Kane to act in a way that is not typical for him...

that something was Spurs being generally shit and Kane understandingly wanting to leave but not being able to because he signed a ridiculous contract. That's it.

RUCK4444

Well done to Micah for pointing out the double standards of the pair of idiots.

Souness body language, turning away and not wanting to draw on the comparison Micah is pointing out tells the story. Cannot believe he’s still paid to embarrass himself on Sky year after year.

the_cliff

The Overplay video. It's in the football forum..
He said he shouldn't have not turned up for training but him knowing Harry Kane personally he knows how good of a person he is and due to that there must have been a breakdown between the relationship of him and Levy.

Seems very highly critical... Until the excuse.

If that was Pogba he'd be calling him a disgrace for half an hour.

I can't post media but there's a video on youtube titled 'This guy should never be dealt with again by this football club'.
Look at how he talks about Pogba, when his agent (not even Pogba himself) talked about leaving.

Meanwhile Kane did an interview himself saying I wanna leave, he also said if City pay 100m for me Spurs should be happy with that. Also on the eve of a game that would have implications on European football. But as Gary said meh it's only 1 game not a big deal.

Last edited:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Fergie called him an idiot and he is right. Remember his nonsensical rant about the defenders not fancying De Gea.

RUCK4444

I've watched the overplay video & the post-match discussion, he defends Kane in every one of them. When he says it's wrong, but... nothing really matters before the "but". He keeps alluding to the mysterious "something" that happened behind the scenes that forced Kane to act in a way that is not typical for him...

that something was Spurs being generally shit and Kane understandingly wanting to leave but not being able to because he signed a ridiculous contract. That's it.
This. Gary is being a tit here, he knows how contracts work and he would never condone not turning up for training usually.

Harry Kane signed that contract nobody signed it for him. Are the rules supposed to be different for Kane?

It’s already a joke he’s an MBE for achieving nothing. I’m waiting for him to be knighted for losing a final tbh.

Paxi

Fergie called him an idiot and he is right. Remember his nonsensical rant about the defenders not fancying De Gea.
He was very good during ESL debacle but apart from that I rate Carra as a far better pundit.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
In the very next breath he said something must have pushed him to it behind the scenes. Has he ever made such excuses for any other player?

His bias towards Kane is remarkable to me.
Not that unremarkable when you consider he worked with Kane for 3 years, I guess it makes sense he is trying to excuse someone who he saw have a high standard of professionalism up close as compared to someone he doesn't really know.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Fact is Nev would be one of the chiefs in piling on. That's what people are talking about when they say hypocrisy.

Dante

Average bang
He said he shouldn't have not turned up for training but him knowing Harry Kane personally he knows how good of a person he is and due to that there must have been a breakdown between the relationship of him and Levy.

Seems very highly critical... Until the excuse.

If that was Pogba he'd be calling him a disgrace for half an hour.
Neville loves Pogba.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Not sure they do to be honest but that's a separate debate; Keane and Carragher are far worse on De Gea

Not that unremarkable when you consider he worked with Kane for 3 years, I guess it makes sense he is trying to excuse someone who he saw have a high standard of professionalism up close as compared to someone he doesn't really know.
I feel like Nev has defended Kane more than he defended Beckham, and he knew Beckham from 14 years old!