Gary Neville - Pundit

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
As an analyst, he's an absolute trainwreck.
He's supposed to be analysing Man United games but he has a blind spot as big as the whole pitch in front of him when it comes to his former club.
His only former club, I might add, because here we have a guy who in all of his career only witnessed one dressing room, one club, and one manager. He knows shit about football, as a whole, even though he always likes to point to his experience as a player when analysing things.
He's intellectually incapable of dealing with the situation.

Think about it, faced with the question of whether there are better managers for Man United out there than Solskjaer, he actually says that because the club "has gone down that road before" (of hiring 'top managers on paper'?!) they're hesitant to do it now.
I'm puzzled how someone's reasoning could be so stupid. Because Man United hired managers with 'top CVs' in van Gaal and Mourinho before and it didn't work, they're now hesitant towards hiring someone like Conte. How does that make any sense?

First of all, both van Gaal and Mourinho were beyond past it when they were hired and had giant flashing warning signs pointing to their massive, massive flaws.
And then, because they didn't work out, you now can't hire a manager with top experience in the future? Like, ever?

Bizarre. This guy doesn't actually understand that hiring, and sacking, managers is a basic, elementary process within running a club. Ànd of course, you need to hire the best you can get. But because he's only ever played under one manager, he has no grasp on the issue whatsoever.

And then Roy Keane alongside, whose whole train of thought is how this would never have happened when he was still playing for Man United and how these players now are just "so, so poor", all coated in this annoying expression of Irish Catholic contempt and moral judgement, you are witnessing a punditing farce of the highest order.

Can't they employ some people who are actually neutral and competent?

Last edited:

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
He’s just been awful through these tough United years. Can’t stand listening to him.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
i was at the game and just seen a clip of the 2nd goal where Maguire/Shaw mess up. He blames Degea???
Yep, he did blame De Gea. Bizarre.
This is all on Shaw, De Gea gets taken by surprise due to Shaw's negligence.

PoTMS

How does he win Pundit of the Year season after season? He talks out of his ass every week and he's been doing it for years. Remember the silent domination crap he tried to peddle. Carragher is a much better pundit.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
He arrogantly believes he knows what’s best for the club while ironically being one of the most toxic elements right now.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
How does he win Pundit of the Year season after season? He talks out of his ass every week. Carragher is a much better pundit.
Its not a big feat. You have talk with passion and then speak politically correct on both football and non football stuff. Hardly any good analysis is done in english football coverage. So when he comes up nonsense like “silent domination” people get impressed.

always_hoping

Yep, he did blame De Gea. Bizarre.
This is all on Shaw, De Gea gets taken by surprise due to Shaw's negligence.
Wouldn't agree with Neville by blaming just Degea. Maguire and Shaw caught napping or should I say yet more individual errors from both while Degea would be the first to admit that he should have done better.

Dante

Average bang
Wouldn't agree with Neville by blaming just Degea. Maguire and Shaw caught napping or should I say yet more individual errors from both while Degea would be the first to admit that he should have done better.
He didn't blame just De Gea.

Neville actually blamed Maguire and Shaw first and foremost. Then after the reply said De Gea had a shocker 'as well'.

Maxii

Paad
And then Roy Keane alongside, whose whole train of thought is how this would never have happened when he was still playing for Man United and how these players now are just "so, so poor", all coated in this annoying expression of Irish Catholic contempt and moral judgement, you are witnessing a punditing farce of the highest order.
What? :lol:

OLLY ORANGE

All round Hypocrite
The way he defended Ole for so many moments and the way he acts with the managers of his consortium club is miles apart.
He clearly believes in himself as the oracle when it comes to utd which is why he comes across as being so far up his own hoop so many times on Sky.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

He is insufferable. It’s your job to be as objective as possible, Gary.

captaincantona

He's supposed to be analysing Man United games but he has a blind spot as big as the whole pitch in front of him when it comes to his former club.
His only former club, I might add, because here we have a guy who in all of his career only witnessed one dressing room, one club, and one manager. He knows shit about football, as a whole, even though he always likes to point to his experience as a player when analysing things.

Think about it, faced with the question of whether there are better managers for Man United out there than Solskjaer, he actually says that because the club "has gone down that road before" (of hiring 'top managers on paper'?!) they're hesitant to do it now.
I'm puzzled how someone's reasoning could be so stupid. Because Man United hired managers with 'top CVs' in van Gaal and Mourinho before and it didn't work, they're now hesitant towards hiring someone like Conte. How does that make any sense?

First of all, both van Gaal and Mourinho were beyond past it when they were hired and had giant flashing warning signs pointing to their massive, massive flaws.
And then, because they didn't work out, you now can't hire a manager with top experience in the future? Like, ever?

Bizarre. This guy doesn't actually understand that hiring, and sacking, managers is a basic, elementary process within running a club. Ànd of course, you need to hire the best you can get. But because he's only ever played under one manager, he has no grasp on the issue whatsoever.

easy there partner...Keane’s moral judgement comes from the fact that he is actually undeniably THE best placed former player to take such a high ground. He is not preaching about goal scoring or beating a full back...he is preaching about the central feature of his legendary status- his fuking drive and commitment to win for Man Utd. He is simply unparalleled and I am yet to hear something he says that is actually incorrect. His tone may not be to your liking but it has fuk all to do with him being Irish or otherwise.

As for Neville, the guy is clearly trying to navigate being a fan, a pundit but also knowing that if he says a single fuking word about sacking Ole...that’s front page stuff and whatever shit show you think we are witnessing now would be nothing compared to the laughing stock we would be when...off the back of ex-players criticisms- Utd sack Ole and replace him with someone else who is no good for the club because mid season approaching the knock out rounds for the CL, no self respecting coach is bailing on their current club. Zidane told us to fuk off. So who goes in there? Maybe Nev is afraid of the short term answer to that question and is choosing to not become part of the problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jippy

padzilla

Hipster

I am sorry but what the hell has this got to do with anything? I guess bigotry is still alive and well.

Jibbs

He's there in the media because he's an ex man united player, he is relevant because he has links within the club. Man United is literally feeding this guy and many other leeches like him.

diarm

This is literally how Nazi Germany started.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Who cares if he sticks by his mate? It's pretty obvious he thinks (a) Ole is not up to it but (b) the deeper problem is the Glazers and who they would replace Ole with.

It's unsophisticated to think this is all the fault of one man. If it were they would have sacked him ages ago. It's not like the Glazers want to lose. They just have other fish to fry.

macheda14

He privately knows Ole should go, I’m sure of it. But he never publicly calls for the sacking of a manager. To a fault he is consistent.

Dante

Average bang
He's not just sticking by his mate.

He has a line in the sand that he won't cross. It's the same line he had with Jose, LvG, Moyes, Nuno, Wenger, Arteta, etc.

Unless they're all his mates, he's being perfectly consistent and objective.

Idxomer

He privately knows Ole should go, I’m sure of it. But he never publicly calls for the sacking of a manager. To a fault he is consistent.
Anyone who thought Mourinho needed more time to succeed is an idiot.

padzilla

Hipster
People are paying way too much attention to what pundits are saying, they are simply giving opinions, nothing more.

Ixion

Anyone who thought Mourinho needed more time to succeed is an idiot.
Well he won the Europa League about 2 weeks after that guy's tweet and then finished 2nd the next season so maybe it wasn't that idiotic.

NK86

He has a line in the sand that he won't cross. It's the same line he had with Jose, LvG, Moyes, Nuno, Wenger, Arteta, etc.

So does he believe that they should not be sacked or it's just that he doesn't want to say that out loud?

It surely cannot be the former as he has sacked managers. So the fact that as a pundit he does not even say what's on his mind, then what exactly is he doing in the studios.

Ixion

So does he believe that they should not be sacked or it's just that he doesn't want to say that out loud?

It surely cannot be the former as he has sacked managers. So the fact that as a pundit he does not even say what's on his mind, then what exactly is he doing in the studios.
Probably because after his brief managerial spell in Spain he doesn't want to add pressure to manager's jobs.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

He's consistently irrational, which completely obliterates his credibility as a pundit.

He's closing in on being the pundit's version of Ty from Arse Fam TV.

Idxomer

Well he won the Europa League about 2 weeks after that guy's tweet and then finished 2nd the next season so maybe it wasn't that idiotic.
There was nothing special about the way we won the EL. Same with 2nd place that was mostly due to a freak season by DDG.

There was more substance to the Liverpool run to the EL final in 2016 under Klopp than our win the following year.

NK86

Probably because after his brief managerial spell in Spain he doesn't want to add pressure to manager's jobs.
He is a pundit for a broadcaster and he does not want to call out a manager as not being good enough for us because he failed as one? By that barometer, he should never ask for a player to be dropped/sold as he must have seen similar in his playing career.

I just don't understand why can he not say it out loud because that's basically his whole job - to analyse and simply tell the viewers from his experience what he thinks. If he cannot do that, he really is in the wrong profession currently.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I hope there are a few signs mugging him off at any protests :lol:

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude

His line in the sand is he won't call for a manager to be sacked however he sacks managers for fun at the club he owns. It's not consistent or objective.

If he came out and said manager X is doing a poor job because of these reasons , he doesn't have to say sack manager X to get his point across.

It's a false dichotomy that the only choices are he calls for them to be sacked or says nothing about the managers performance and position.

El Zoido

It’s just a bizarre thing he has, like he’s decided a manager should always be given more time. I don’t get the logic. I wonder how far this stance would be tested, if Ole relegated us would he still stand by him?

Paxi

He is a pundit for a broadcaster and he does not want to call out a manager as not being good enough for us because he failed as one? By that barometer, he should never ask for a player to be dropped/sold as he must have seen similar in his playing career.

I just don't understand why can he not say it out loud because that's basically his whole job - to analyse and simply tell the viewers from his experience what he thinks. If he cannot do that, he really is in the wrong profession currently.
Agreed.

Paxi

Where did we end up with Jose? In the fecking gutter.

Foxbatt

There was nothing special about the way we won the EL. Same with 2nd place that was mostly due to a freak season by DDG.

There was more substance to the Liverpool run to the EL final in 2016 under Klopp than our win the following year.
It's was a special master plan by Jose for the EL. . We had Zlatan out thru injury. Ajax didn't get a sniff because the plan worked out perfectly.

L1nk

It’s just a bizarre thing he has, like he’s decided a manager should always be given more time. I don’t get the logic. I wonder how far this stance would be tested, if Ole relegated us would he still stand by him?
He's sacked many a manager for Salford, so it really makes no sense. It's not like he has to even say "Ole should be sacked" what people, including myself, are taking issue with is that he's more than happy to slag anyone else off including the players, but he's clearly making a point of avoiding the manager, or at least barely mentions that he's part of the problem. He can criticise him without asking to be fired, but he won't do that, which is why the likes of Jamie Carragher and Micah Richards, who can clearly see what the problem is, are speaking more sense than him currently.

Devil may care

In any other walk of like when you don't do your job well you get replaced but apparently the real world isn't applicable to managers in Neville's eyes, and even if he refuses to call a spade a spade he should still be analysing the coaching issues at United, which he sidesteps all of the time, all in the name of "decency" yet this is the same guy who will quite gladly throw players under the bus and attack their character, he only parped up about the Glazers because the Super League would have dented his pocket by affecting his paymasters bottom line significantly.

Idxomer

It's was a special master plan by Jose for the EL. . We had Zlatan out thru injury. Ajax didn't get a sniff because the plan worked out perfectly.
Having Zlatan out wasn't an excuse to play shitty football, this was an Ajax team with an average age of 21.

It was a great plan for Jose's ego but anyone who looked past the result would know that wasn't good enough for Manchester United and isn't the blueprint for something sustainable or successful.