Gary Neville - Pundit

RashyForPM

All opposition fans call Neville biased towards us, and Pool fans think Carragher is an Everton fan who dislikes them too. The truth is, both are excellent pundits (especially Neville) who while they love their clubs very much, have to be as impartial as possible as per their job description. Generally though, Neville talks sense.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Excuse him for having an opinion.

I'd rather Pogba have hit it than dummied it. He was closer to goal and a better striker of the ball than Fred so had more chance of scoring. Am I hating on Pogba for the sake of it too or do I just want to see us score?
His opinion revolves him excusing every English player while castigating foreign ones for exactly the same errors

jem

It was poor from Pogba, he should have taken the shot on, he knows he's a better striker of the ball than Fred is. But this is the main issue with Pogba, he doesn't take responsibility, he'd rather someone else have a go and feck it up and let them get the stick than have a go himself and get stick when he misses.
The speed of Pogba's mental calculations to decide all that while a pass is en route....

Dominos

His opinion revolves him excusing every English player while castigating foreign ones for exactly the same errors
Or he'd rather Pogba have hit it because he's more likely to score inside the box than Fred is from outside the box. Or do I hate foreigners too because I'd rather Pogba have shot?

Inigo Montoya

Or he'd rather Pogba have hit it because he's more likely to score inside the box than Fred is from outside the box. Or do I hate foreigners too because I'd rather Pogba have shot?
I've no idea who you hate but if you were on national TV assessing every game and I noticed that you tend to excuse England internationals but criticise foreign players, I'd say yes you're a tad xenophobic

Dominos

I've no idea who you hate but if you were on national TV assessing every game and I noticed that you tend to excuse England internationals but criticise foreign players, I'd say yes you're a tad xenophobic
Your standards for unjustly criticising foreign players includes suggesting Pogba was maybe in a better position to score than Fred, so I'd question whether you're just a tad paranoid and the previous examples could be similar innocuous comments like this one.

Inigo Montoya

Your standards for unjustly criticising foreign players includes suggesting Pogba was maybe in a better position to score than Fred, so I'd question whether you're just a tad paranoid and the previous examples could be similar innocuous comments like this one.
Me, paranoid? Nah I just think they're out to get me

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
He wasn't ever a co-commentator though was he?
Wasn't he more the Sky sports show that was a different type of set up.
No he was just a pundit on soccer Saturday he was insufferable though, absolute tosspot like Merson, Le Tissier and that other idiot that used to be on with them, the ex Arsenal player I forget his name.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
As a die hard United fan, I obviously have loads of time for ex players but I have run out of patience with Gary Neville. When he first burst onto the punditry scene he tried too hard with his impartiality and quickly just turned into someone who constantly stuck the knife into us at every given opportunity. I used to think "calm down Gary, we get it you can't be biased" but the thing is, it seems to be getting worse as time goes on. Everything that seems to come from the guy regarding our club is negative, always wanting to level us when things seem to be going alright. His latest article on sky sports news about it being "bizarre" that we are third is just the straw that's broken the camels back for me. Why is it bizzare? One minute the table doesn't lie, next minute he's perplexed as to how we are third. Its the results Gary, the points tally. He always seems to want to knock us down a peg. Am I barking up the wrong tree here or what? Can't remember the last time he said something that showed his love for the club. Perhaps he's bitter because the super sub is doing a decent job at a big club whilst he nearly sent Valencia down.

Maybe I am overthinking it, but its one thing after the next with him. It hurts.
A lot of us felt it was bizarre when we got to 3rd after a shaky start and a 6-1 drubbing against Spurs.

Since then though there is a belief within the team and the fans that we might be able to challenge for the title. Early days still.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Excuse him for having an opinion.

I'd rather Pogba have hit it than dummied it. He was closer to goal and a better striker of the ball than Fred so had more chance of scoring. Am I hating on Pogba for the sake of it too or do I just want to see us score?
I watched it again on Match of the day.....it’s an absolutely bizarre piece of punditry from Neville. It would never be highlighted under normal circumstances because it was a really good piece of play. Pogba could have hit it but it was a very difficult chance to take and his dummy opened up more space for a teammate.

It’s only mentioned by Neville due to his agenda on Pogba....I’d be really surprised if you don’t dislike Pogba yourself.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I really need to see this bit of play everybody seems to be talking about.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Listen to how ‘kind’ Nev is being towards Chelsea than he is when he commentates on us. They are 3-0 down at home and Martin asks him ‘what about Chelsea?’. Even the question was asked reluctantly, but Nev says ‘it’s a difficult one, they are playing against a good team’. We got a point against same good team and he wouldn’t shut up about it for 2 weeks.

I don’t like him commentating on our games, he always seems to overdo it, and because he’s seen as such an authority on United, it has quite an impact on the negative narrative around us.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Listen to how ‘kind’ Nev is being towards Chelsea than he is when he commentates on us. They are 3-0 down at home and Martin asks him ‘what about Chelsea?’. Even the question was asked reluctantly, but Nev says ‘it’s a difficult one, they are playing against a good team’. We got a point against same good team and he wouldn’t shut up about it for 2 weeks.

I don’t like him commentating on our games, he always seems to overdo it, and because he’s seen as such an authority on United, it has quite an impact on the negative narrative around us.
I was thinking just this.

Tyler lined it up for him to absolutely hammer them and he just said “meh, it’s a good city side”

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I was thinking just this.

Tyler lined it up for him to absolutely hammer them and he just said “meh, it’s a good city side”
Even Tyler’s question seemed reluctant in that he had been left no choice. They were off praising City and he said ‘I have to ask (then sort of grimaced) - what about Chelsea?’. Almost like ‘we don’t want to be unkind to them but we do have to ask the question’.

There’s been a lot said about Lampard getting a great deal from the media in general. Perhaps it’s just that people don’t care as much about Chelsea as United.

Dante

Average bang
For the Ole out crowd, he's too easy on United. For everyone else, he's too critical on United.

And no matter what he says about any other team or manager, it's somehow proof of an agenda for/against* United.

*delete as appropriate

acnumber9

He’s emotionally invested in United so anything he says will be because of that. For some it manifests in being overly positive and for others overly negative.

Jamie Shawcross

the guy can't WAIT to heap praise on city and liverpool...and LEEDS. Hes taking the impartiality well too far. We get it Gary, you can't appear to be biased but calm down man

macheda14

People are putting to much emotional investment into what he says. End of the day he probably loves United more than a lot of us ever could.

Dante

Average bang
the guy can't WAIT to heap praise on city and liverpool...and LEEDS. Hes taking the impartiality well too far. We get it Gary, you can't appear to be biased but calm down man
They deserve praise. He's also not the only one. It's coming from plenty of other neutrals in the press as well.

Dante

Average bang
People are putting to much emotional investment into what he says. End of the day he probably loves United more than a lot of us ever could.
People are picking on Neville because he's a legend at the club and they hate United.

Okay, not really. But that's kind of convoluted reasoning they're applying to him. It could just as easily be applied to themselves. For instance, none of them is criticising Shearer for saying the same sort of things.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I appreciate that in his heart he loves us. I don’t like his commentary towards us and the narrative that it creates. It doesn’t matter if he loves us if he were to come on air everyday and say we’re so shit. It’s still damaging. And in reality, it isn’t really balanced. We’ve picked up as many points as any other team in the last year, but you would never guess it. The positives are far more readily highlighted with the likes of Chelsea and City.

Just listen to the tone towards Chelsea as we speak, who are currently being destroyed by City on their own patch. It’s not as bad as it would be for United if we found ourselves at 0-0 in any given game.

Dominos

I watched it again on Match of the day.....it’s an absolutely bizarre piece of punditry from Neville. It would never be highlighted under normal circumstances because it was a really good piece of play. Pogba could have hit it but it was a very difficult chance to take and his dummy opened up more space for a teammate.

It’s only mentioned by Neville due to his agenda on Pogba....I’d be really surprised if you don’t dislike Pogba yourself.
Let's say his view and my view is wrong. Is the only reason anyone could ever have an opinion on football that's wrong be that they have a dislike for the individual involved because of his skin colour or nationality?

Maybe, just maybe, they thought the player who's closer to goal and a better striker of the ball had a better chance of scoring. Maybe they were wrong because it's a game of inches and milliseconds and they've misjudged it, or maybe it's just a really close decision.

I don't care whether he dummied it or not, the game is gone, Pogba played well and won us the game. I just thought at the time he had a better chance of scoring. I don't have any particular hatred of French people or black people that I'm aware of but I'm glad you've been able to diagnose my subconscious bigotry over the internet.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Let's say his view and my view is wrong. Is the only reason anyone could ever have an opinion on football that's wrong be that they have a dislike for the individual involved because of his skin colour or nationality?

Maybe, just maybe, they thought the player who's closer to goal and a better striker of the ball had a better chance of scoring. Maybe they were wrong because it's a game of inches and milliseconds and they've misjudged it, or maybe it's just a really close decision.

I don't care whether he dummied it or not, the game is gone, Pogba played well and won us the game. I just thought at the time he had a better chance of scoring. I don't have any particular hatred of French people or black people that I'm aware of but I'm glad you've been able to diagnose my subconscious bigotry over the internet.
I didn’t say anything other than I’d be suprised if you don’t dislike Pogba yourself. I never mentioned race or nationality.

Thinking...’he could’ve hit that himself’ isn’t really an issue. It happens many times in games. It’s making something of it after the event as a pundit that’s bizarre. He didn’t leave it at ‘he could’ve hit that himself’. He went on some bizarre rant that he wouldn’t have if it were another player, which then appeals to people who don’t like the player and solidifies a particular opinion, when in truth it’s just one of those situations where no one should really care whether he hit it himself or dummied it because neither were very likely or much more likely to result in a goal.

Will Singh

Like everyone he's entitled to his opinion, they say opinions are like farts, you can't bare to smell others butt dont mind your own.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

That makes sense though.

You care more when it's your team that take a beating.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
That makes sense though.

You care more when it's your team that take a beating.
He’s supposed to say what he sees. And us drawing 0-0 isn’t us ‘taking a beating’ but if you listened to him, you would think it was.

His hatchet job on us for daring to go 1-0 down away to West Ham was something. We still won the game, and won it comfortably, which made his premature bollocks look even more ridiculous. I’ve never heard him be so critical when another big club is losing or drawing a game. It sets a narrative, which is my biggest issue. Just let someone else commentate on our games if he can’t do it properly.

Chelsea got nowhere near the same for getting a beating on their own patch as we got for a 0-0 draw with City and a 1-3 victory against West Ham. He’s an exaggerator of the highest order regarding United, as can be evidenced by a simple glance at the league table.

Inigo Montoya

He’s supposed to say what he sees. And us drawing 0-0 isn’t us ‘taking a beating’ but if you listened to him, you would think it was.

His hatchet job on us for daring to go 1-0 down away to West Ham was something. We still won the game, and won it comfortably, which made his premature bollocks look even more ridiculous. I’ve never heard him be so critical when another big club is losing or drawing a game. It sets a narrative, which is my biggest issue. Just let someone else commentate on our games if he can’t do it properly.

Chelsea got nowhere near the same for getting a beating on their own patch as we got for a 0-0 draw with City and a 1-3 victory against West Ham. He’s an exaggerator of the highest order regarding United, as can be evidenced by a simple glance at the league table.
Hold on! We were as lucky as feck to go in at 1-0. If Haller had kept his feet, it's 2-0. If Bowen had his shooting boots on, it's another goal. We were palpably awful and I don't know a single Utd fan who thought otherwise. It was hardly a hatchet job. Goodness knows where our defence and midfield were for the 1st half. We turned it around through individual brilliance and in fact we were much better in going 2-0 down at Southampton which was against the run of play. Neville just echoed how bad we were.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Hold on! We were as lucky as feck to go in at 1-0. If Haller had kept his feet, it's 2-0. If Bowen had his shooting boots on, it's another goal. We were palpably awful and I don't know a single Utd fan who thought otherwise. It was hardly a hatchet job. Goodness knows where our defence and midfield were for the 1st half. We turned it around through individual brilliance and in fact we were much better in going 2-0 down at Southampton which was against the run of play. Neville just echoed how bad we were.
It was a hatchet job because it was a football match. A football match with two teams on the pitch, and one thing people always seem to forget is that there are two teams on the pitch. The home team being on top for part of the game is not abnormal in football. So what if West Ham had more chances in the first half? The game was far from over, as evidenced by the final outcome of the match. You can count chances West Ham missed. We missed chances too. Rashford hit the post.

Point is, West Ham away is a tough fixture. We don’t have to dominate it for 90 minutes, and he, and anyone else who feel they were fully entitled to throw a strop because West Ham had a spell on top in a game they lost 1-3 need to check themselves I think.

pav1790

The same guy who tweeted a short clip of himself popping the champagne when United equaled pool on points after the villa game? Yeah clearly not a red.

VivaRonaldo85

Great pundit. Clearly adores United but is obviously always conscious of overdoing it and if anything, sucks up to the other top teams to make himself feel better about his belief that he must be seen to be impartial.

Quick shout out for his line when Foden made a good run and cross today (or something similar)..... “I’ve just had a shiver”. What on earth.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Love Nev, he loves United. I love United. What’s not to like.

acnumber9

Great pundit. Clearly adores United but is obviously always conscious of overdoing it and if anything, sucks up to the other top teams to make himself feel better about his belief that he must be seen to be impartial.

Quick shout out for his line when Foden made a good run and cross today (or something similar)..... “I’ve just had a shiver”. What on earth.
I think he was referencing the way Marc Overmars used to destroy him.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Thread title is cringeworthy

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He might be like us. Overcritisizing and overanalyzing United when lost, but just giving a bunch of green smilie every time Chelsea or Arsenal lost.