Gary Neville - Pundit

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He might be like us. Overcritisizing and overanalyzing United when lost, but just giving a bunch of green smilie every time Chelsea or Arsenal lost.
And also seemingly being confused or reluctant to praise when we win. He spends every game talking up our opponent, whoever they are. Once we fo ahead he spends the rest of the game talking about how he expects the opponent to equalise. We were 4-1 up against Leeds and all he kept saying was that Leeds will think they are not out of this and how we will always concede goals. When you are saying stuff like that you become unable to give praise where it is due. We are 4-1 up. The lords of Liverpool couldn’t manage that against them, in fact nobody else has given them such a beating.

Is it so hard for anyone in the media to simply say that we are a good team? Not with a ‘but’ attached to it - just that we are a good team. It doesn’t matter if we were not as good as we are now at whatever point. That never seems to matter for any other side. As soon as a Spurs or other teams who have also fumbled for a while string a few wins together, the praise is unanimous and unadulterated. United can go top but the conversation is about ‘I still think their defence could be better’. How about what they are good at? It’s obviously significantly outweighed any negatives if we find ourselves excelling.

Obviously, Gary Neville doesn’t hate the club, but he’s extremely sensationalist and constantly negative towards us in his coverage.

acnumber9

We were 4-1 up against Leeds and all he kept saying was that Leeds will think they are not out of this and how we will always concede goals.
He’s right about that though. Leeds did keep going for it and we do concede a lot of goals. I think he’s just emotionally invested in United so he’s coming across as cynical about United’s chances because he doesn’t want to get ahead of himself. Do people actually believe he isn’t desperate for United to win?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I enjoy Nevs show with ex pros, watched Pires and Gerrard yesterday, Nevs a bit of a clown with a goofy laugh yeah but he seems good hearted to me and has a passion and love for United. It’s good seeing him talk with ex players about the clubs rivalries back in the day, good times

Judas

Open to offers
Just like how idiots on RAWK think Carragher gives Liverpool a hard time, its the same on here with Neville and Utd. It's baffling, daft and I can't believe people get wound up by it.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He’s right about that though. Leeds did keep going for it and we do concede a lot of goals. I think he’s just emotionally invested in United so he’s coming across as cynical about United’s chances because he doesn’t want to get ahead of himself. Do people actually believe he isn’t desperate for United to win?
Well we are winning. You wouldn’t guess it if you listened to Nev though. You would think that we are doing less winning than say Spurs and City, despite that not being the case - and not being the case for a whole year too, not just the last few months.

Judas

Open to offers
Well we are winning. You wouldn’t guess it if you listened to Nev though. You would think that we are doing less winning than say Spurs and City, despite that not being the case - and not being the case for a whole year too, not just the last few months.
So a bit like most Utd fans everywhere then? This place is full of Utd fans being negative, yet people want to question Gary fecking Neville's support and attitude towards Man Utd :lol: I just can't come to terms with the idiocy.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Behave :lol:

Judas

Open to offers
Of all the fights to pick with the way the media talk about us, going after one of our own like plenty on here seem to love doing is utterly bizarre to me.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
So a bit like most Utd fans everywhere then? This place is full of Utd fans being negative, yet people want to question Gary fecking Neville's support and attitude towards Man Utd :lol: I just can't come to terms with the idiocy.
No, you have decided that you will summarise this thread as people questioning his support. I am questioning his attitude to United, as his attitude is visible - and it is negative. Nobody has said he isn’t a fan, which you are aware of. I couldn’t care less in this particular context that he loves the club. I am speaking about what he says about the club, not what he feels. He is dramatic and hyperbolic - and he is seen as the number one authority on United in British football media, so his whining is not helpful.

Given that he loves United, it would be nice for him to speak about us as such sometimes. And yes, it is just like the caf, and you could go around threads and see me challenging the same sort of rhetoric.

My number one issue is the cloud of negativity that constantly surrounds the club. It is largely media orchestrated and United fans fall into it. It’s not helpful to the team/club and I’d rather our fans and lovers of the club like Neville were not the ones peddling it. Compare how Nev talks about us and how Micah Richards talks about City and you will see a clear contrast.

Judas

Open to offers
Literally today there's a positive article quoting Gary on Sky Sports talking about us and how we've clearly improved in attitude and things are looking up, you know why because maybe they are. He was negative and miserable when everyone else was, and it was hard to see any positives so I didn't blame him for speaking like a lot of us were.

I'd rather Neville was honest with a bit of truthful negativity than the way Richards talks like an educated fan quite often. But maybe that's just me, thats my taste, maybe I'm a total misery.

hubbuh

Of all the fights to pick with the way the media talk about us, going after one of our own like plenty on here seem to love doing is utterly bizarre to me.
Agree with everything you've said. It feels like people are stretching unnecessarily with this one.

acnumber9

Yeah but it’s a defence mechanism as much as anything. Surely you can understand that. Plus, it’s not exactly outlandish to watch us and wonder how long it will last. It’s been almost 8 years of false dawns. And when our defence is as ropey as it is, that is not sustainable long term.

Comparing him with Micah Richards is stupid. Gary Neville played in a team that demanded the highest standards and became used to nothing else. Richards was a loser.

lsd

The Oracle
Yeah but it’s a defence mechanism as much as anything. Surely you can understand that. Plus, it’s not exactly outlandish to watch us and wonder how long it will last. It’s been almost 8 years of false dawns. And when our defence is as ropey as it is, that is not sustainable long term.

Comparing him with Micah Richards is stupid. Gary Neville played in a team that demanded the highest standards and became used to nothing else. Richards was a loser.

Richards burst onto the scene

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Richards played in teams that demanded high standards too. And has subsequently supported the same team that continued to demand high standards, hence them winning more trophies than us in recent times. He isn’t defending some mid-table plucky troops, his team are title contenders and he sticks up for them when they are attacked.

Again, my issue with Neville is the position and authority he holds and the input he has in setting a narrative of negativity around the club. He can come on the caf and moan with the rest of you if he wants, but when he can’t commentate on a match without trying to pick us apart for 90 mins, regarding if we’re winning or not, it isn’t helpful.

And it’s been even longer in terms of false dawns for Spurs, but because English Hero Harold Kane is scoring goals there - there’s nothing they cannot achieve. All they need is two wins on the trot and Neville is off about how a team who has never won the PL have a ‘real chance’.

acnumber9

Richards played in teams that demanded high standards too. And has subsequently supported the same team that continued to demand high standards, hence them winning more trophies than us in recent times. He isn’t defending some mid-table plucky troops, his team are title contenders and he sticks up for them when they are attacked.

Again, my issue with Neville is the position and authority he holds and the input he has in setting a narrative of negativity around the club. He can come on the caf and moan with the rest of you if he wants, but when he can’t commentate on a match without trying to pick us apart for 90 mins, regarding if we’re winning or not, it isn’t helpful.

And it’s been even longer in terms of false dawns for Spurs, but because English Hero Harold Kane is scoring goals there - there’s nothing they cannot achieve. All they need is two wins on the trot and Neville is off about how a team who has never won the PL have a ‘real chance’.
Micah Richards won two trophies. The high standards came after. He’s also a grinning moron.

Neville doesn’t care about Spurs though. Different people have different outlooks on the teams they follow. And he hasn’t even said anything that outlandish.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Micah Richards won two trophies. The high standards came after. He’s also a grinning moron.

Neville doesn’t care about Spurs though. Different people have different outlooks on the teams they follow. And he hasn’t even said anything that outlandish.
That much we agree on.

And the fact that Neville supports us isn’t the point. When he’s on the phone to Phil, he can say what he wants. I’m not even asking him to be a super fan. Just calling it as it is on the pitch would suffice for me, especially when we have been damn near the most consistent team in the country for a year now.

acnumber9

That much we agree on.

And the fact that Neville supports us isn’t the point. When he’s on the phone to Phil, he can say what he wants. I’m not even asking him to be a super fan. Just calling it as it is on the pitch would suffice for me, especially when we have been damn near the most consistent team in the country for a year now.
But he’s calling it how he sees it. You just don’t agree with it.

acnumber9

Neither does the table.
We’re also only 16 games into the season. Far too early to be getting carried away with anything. You’ve been whining about Gary Neville for years. Let’s not pretend it’s because the results are better. You just don’t agree with him. It’s ok to be honest.

Judas

Open to offers
That much we agree on.

So if we look through your posts you've consistently called us the most consistent team in the country for the past year? Genuine question, fair play if you have, but I doubt it very much.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We’re also only 16 games into the season. Far too early to be getting carried away with anything. You’ve been whining about Gary Neville for years. Let’s not pretend it’s because the results are better. You just don’t agree with him. It’s ok to be honest.
Responses like this piss me off no end.

It is possible that I didn’t agree with him back then, and don’t agree with him now. Whenever I’ve ‘whined’ about him in the past, I’ve provided exact reasons of what I disagree with. Now I’m speaking about a different issue, I am again providing my reasons. Again, like Gary, you’d be better off commenting on what is in front of you rather than trying to be extra clever about it.

There is absolutely nothing in any post I have made that would indicate I am ‘pretending’ about anything. I’m explaining my view very directly, just as I did at whatever other point you are referencing.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
So if we look through your posts you've consistently called us the most consistent team in the country for the past year? Genuine question, fair play if you have, but I doubt it very much.
In as many words. If you look through my posts, I have consistently praised us when we play well, and called out other posters for frivolously having a pop about everything from Ole, the board our transfer strategy and more. So yes, you’re probably right.

I’m not sure why people think that I must he confused and unable to genuinely mean/believe what I am saying. There’s no catch here, I am actually saying what I mean and believe on this matter.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

It is possible that I didn’t agree with him back then, and don’t agree with him now. Whenever I’ve ‘whined’ about him in the past, I’ve provided exact reasons of what I disagree with. Now I’m speaking about a different issue, I am again providing my reasons. Again, like Gary, you’d be better off commenting on what is in front of you rather than trying to be extra clever about it.

There is absolutely nothing in any post I have made that would indicate I am ‘pretending’ about anything. I’m explaining my view very directly, just as I did at whatever other point you are referencing.
Nev popped a bottle of champers just because we’ve hit joint took of the table after 16 games. I think he’s wanted this as much as the rest of us, you just seem to have a bee in your bonnet about him

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
@Rozay I think you are bang on as usual and I’ve said the same thing recently to my parents watching the last few Utd games. Neville is clearly red through and through and I would never doubt his support for the club however he almost certainly does lead from a position of negativity when commentating on our games. I would say I think he’s far more level headed when he’s doing the analysis and punditry compared to being directly in the commentary booth when his thoughts are unfiltered.

Also are people really going to pile in on Rozay for being ‘too positive’ and have the audacity to use the Caf as a reference point. That’s exactly what makes the caf such a horrendous place to be as soon as we even face a single setback, it’s just dark clouds of negativity led by the same group of miserable people. It’s up to people like Gary Neville to give us the credit we deserve as a team for backing a young, progressive manager and beginning to turn our fortunes around. He still holds significant power in the media and amongst Utd fans and it certainly wouldn’t hurt to see him use that for our benefit, rather than continuously looking for faults.

acnumber9

Well, I don’t really care if it pisses you off. You’re whining about him continually for not sharing the same view you have. Your reasoning boils down to, I don’t agree with him so he’s a cnut.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Nev popped a bottle of champers just because we’ve hit joint took of the table after 16 games. I think he’s wanted this as much as the rest of us, you just seem to have a bee in your bonnet about him
I’ll again repeat.

I have never suggested that he does not want United to succeed.

As much as I’ve vented on here about moaning and negativity - I have never suggested that the posters on the caf don’t want United to succeed.

‘Bee in your bonnet’ is a fancy way for you to perhaps continue to ignore what it is that I am ACTUALLY writing. So I’ll repeat.

I have an issue with the negativity with which Gary Neville constantly speaks about United with, especially considering that he is considered the number one authority on out club within the British television media. My problem with it is that it adds a lot of fuel to the general sentiment of negativity around the club, which in turn is harmful for the club and players. I also think a large part of it is wildly exaggerated and inconsistent with how he would and does call similar scenarios with other clubs.

Respectfully, please don’t respond to combat any point OTHER than what I have just said in the above paragraph, as this has been, and remains my only point on this matter. I don’t hate Neville, otherwise I’d have said that. I do dislike a lot of what he says, and as I result - I have said that.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Well, I don’t really care if it pisses you off. You’re whining about him continually for not sharing the same view you have. Your reasoning boils down to, I don’t agree with him so he’s a cnut.
No, your limited comprehension boils down to such a summary. Don’t link that to my ‘reasoning’ - as it is not what I’ve said.

acnumber9

No, your limited comprehension boils down to such a summary. Don’t link that to my ‘reasoning’ - as it is not what I’ve said.
That’s exactly what it boils down to. Seven years of false dawns and numerous games where we give teams a head start make it perfectly reasonable to doubt if this team can sustain a title challenge. And it’s perfectly normal for some people to be more negative or concerned about things they have an emotional attachment too. For example, would you care about Dan James if he played for somebody else?

crossy1686

career ending
Well I like Neville and I find his social media stuff and insight into the games really good. So do what you want with that information but you should probably get out more if everything he does makes you question if he's a United fan or not.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I’ll again repeat.

I have never suggested that he does not want United to succeed.

As much as I’ve vented on here about moaning and negativity - I have never suggested that the posters on the caf don’t want United to succeed.

‘Bee in your bonnet’ is a fancy way for you to perhaps continue to ignore what it is that I am ACTUALLY writing. So I’ll repeat.

I have an issue with the negativity with which Gary Neville constantly speaks about United with, especially considering that he is considered the number one authority on out club within the British television media. My problem with it is that it adds a lot of fuel to the general sentiment of negativity around the club, which in turn is harmful for the club and players. I also think a large part of it is wildly exaggerated and inconsistent with how he would and does call similar scenarios with other clubs.

Respectfully, please don’t respond to combat any point OTHER than what I have just said in the above paragraph, as this has been, and remains my only point on this matter. I don’t hate Neville, otherwise I’d have said that. I do dislike a lot of what he says, and as I result - I have said that.
Guess we see things differently

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
That’s exactly what it boils down to. Seven years of false dawns and numerous games where we give teams a head start make it perfectly reasonable to doubt if this team can sustain a title challenge. And it’s perfectly normal for some people to be more negative or concerned about things they have an emotional attachment too. For example, would you care about Dan James if he played for somebody else?
I genuinely understand your logic mate.Manchester United matters more to Gary Neville than Spurs, it’s common sense.

That doesn’t make his comments less damaging. There’s a reason why the match day thread shouldn’t be displayed on Sky Sports at half-time. I mean, all of the moaning in there that the score is only 0-0 is from Manchester United fans who are emotionally invested too. It still isn’t ideal.

You said we are only 16 games in, but my point is, we can go back longer. We’re level at top now, and last season we finished third. We finished third having started 2020 about 5th or 6th if I recall. In order to close the gap, we had to be the best/second best team in the country from the turn of the year until the end of the season, and as the table suggests - we have been between first and second best in the country again this season so far. That means that over 2020 - we have been in the top two teams in the land.

You speak of false dawns, yet it takes very little for Nev to start proclaiming Spurs as genuine contenders. Spurs who have never won a fecking thing. My issue with this sort of narrative is that teams who are no better than us, or have done no better than us, always seem to have some perception of doing well while we are never far from being hyperbolically declared in ‘crisis’. This is not something I’ve started speaking about today, or exclusively in relation to Nev. I’m constantly complaining about the harm of media spin against us. Under Jose we finished second, Liverpool finished fourth - and we were declared to be in crisis by the start of the next season, while Liverpool showered with positivity. The same happened this season. We finished third, yet bu the start of the season - Sky Sports kept trying to spin some sort if ‘with all the problems at United’ tale. What we could do with is more of a balanced voice to point out that ‘hang on, they are not doing that badly at all’, and you would think that with a former captain on the panel - that person would be Neville. Instead, he is at the centre of stirring negativity around the club, and it’s harmful and more importantly - wildly exaggerated.

acnumber9

I genuinely understand your logic mate.Manchester United matters more to Gary Neville than Spurs, it’s common sense.

That doesn’t make his comments less damaging. There’s a reason why the match day thread shouldn’t be displayed on Sky Sports at half-time. I mean, all of the moaning in there that the score is only 0-0 is from Manchester United fans who are emotionally invested too. It still isn’t ideal.

You said we are only 16 games in, but my point is, we can go back longer. We’re level at top now, and last season we finished third. We finished third having started 2020 about 5th or 6th if I recall. In order to close the gap, we had to be the best/second best team in the country from the turn of the year until the end of the season, and as the table suggests - we have been between first and second best in the country again this season so far. That means that over 2020 - we have been in the top two teams in the land.

You speak of false dawns, yet it takes very little for Nev to start proclaiming Spurs as genuine contenders. Spurs who have never won a fecking thing. My issue with this sort of narrative is that teams who are no better than us, or have done no better than us, always seem to have some perception of doing well while we are never far from being hyperbolically declared in ‘crisis’. This is not something I’ve started speaking about today, or exclusively in relation to Nev. I’m constantly complaining about the harm of media spin against us. Under Jose we finished second, Liverpool finished fourth - and we were declared to be in crisis by the start of the next season, while Liverpool showered with positivity. The same happened this season. We finished third, yet bu the start of the season - Sky Sports kept trying to spin some sort if ‘with all the problems at United’ tale. What we could do with is more of a balanced voice to point out that ‘hang on, they are not doing that badly at all’, and you would think that with a former captain on the panel - that person would be Neville. Instead, he is at the centre of stirring negativity around the club, and it’s harmful and more importantly - wildly exaggerated.
For many people it’s easier to say somebody else can be a title challenger than it is to say your own team is. Especially after they’ve flattered to deceive as much as United have. I just see it as a defence mechanism. I actually think keeping expectations low is a good thing for us at the moment.

United clearly do have problems. We’re improving, and it’s great to see but it needs to be sustained for longer than it is. We can’t keep defending like we are and expect our good form to continue. I guarantee that if we were to go and win at Anfield that Neville will happily start talking about us being title challengers.

mark_a

Like a lot of pundits, journalists or "journalists" - they're paid to produce content. You're bound to end up with loads of "the table doesn't lie" followed by "yes it does" a few weeks later, and stuff contradicting what they previously said. It's the modern way with journalism and how fast the news cycle is. They probably don't read their own stuff, or in many cases even write it!

I got pretty sick of him, Rio & co always being in the frame to over-emotionally comment on Utd when we weren't doing so well. They both care too much but their responses too often (for me) seemed to just heap more pressure on Utd & the players. They must know what they say will be headlines & must realise it won't help.

Zoo

He really is a knob. Luke Shaw misses the ball! Luke Shaw misses the ball!