Gary Neville

Suedesi

Why’s he so insistent that West Ham have/had been the better team? Weird take to me
Recency bias - they were on top for the last 10 minutes and recorded their first shot on goal on the 82nd minute - we were comfortably on top before that.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Why’s he so insistent that West Ham have/had been the better team? Weird take to me
Did he say that? At the end he said you couldn't begrudge them an equaliser and they'd be worthy of a point after the last 15 minutes.... which is a fair take.

kaku06

As much as a man child Ronaldo is, I’m glad he blanked Neville. Puts him in his place abit. Loves the sound of his own voice too much these days. Over the top praising other teams, talks about mental health issues when it comes to Maguire but himself piles on others. Yeah, how did that feel Gary?

Djemba-Djemba

As much as a man child Ronaldo is, I’m glad he blanked Neville. Puts him in his place abit. Loves the sound of his own voice too much these days. Over the top praising other teams, talks about mental health issues when it comes to Maguire but himself piles on others. Yeah, how did that feel Gary?
This is a bizarre take.

The only ex red pundit who didn't embarrass himself over this Ronaldo incident was Neville. He was the only one talking sense, seems odd to be glad he was blanked in front of everyone. Such a pathetic and petty thing to do by Ronaldo.

Who has he piled onto recently by the way?

Last edited:

Glorio

What's his place exactly? He spoke truth to all the nonsense Ronaldo's other ex-colleagues were spouting and so gets blanked. If anyone needs to be put in his place in this instance, it's not Gary.

Ronaldo blanking him is purely because Gary refused to be a lovestruck hyper-biased fanboy, and that's frankly juvenile behaviour.

FrantikChicken

What a wild take this is.

He needed to be put in his place for being the only ex United player to call Ronaldo out on his bs? Really?

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
For being probably the only pundit on TV actually giving Martinez some of the credit he's warranted, and for being the only ex-United player to state the obvious about Ronaldo, I think Neville has had a very good week.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I'm not sure about that. I honestly don't think Neville cares.

Chief123

If you think Neville loves his own voice, just imagine how much Ronaldo loves himself.

Chief123

I'm not sure about that. I honestly don't think Neville cares.
Yep pretty much this. Neville said what he said knowing full well Ronaldo would hear it. He just doesn’t give a shit as he cares more about Utd than Ronaldo’s feelings. I’m glad he’s the first one of his ex-mates to have the balls to say it and be honest.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Quality Ronnie. Neville picks and chooses based on his own personal like/dislike.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Yep pretty much this. Neville said what he said knowing full well Ronaldo would hear it. He just doesn’t give a shit as he cares more about Utd than Ronaldo’s feelings. I’m glad he’s the first one of his ex-mates to have the balls to say it and be honest.
Neville cares for Neville. His own opinions are what are important to him. His own friendships, Ole for example above United, I’m sure Ronaldo and Neville were never friends.

Ludens the Red

Neville cares for Neville. His own opinions are what are important to him. His own friendships, Ole for example above United, I’m sure Ronaldo and Neville were never friends.
Exactly this. Neville has a side/narrative than sticks to it and will fit everything he says around it. With this Ronaldo issue he chose to stick the boot in. For all the flack Keane is taking, he didn’t actually say Ronaldo shouldn’t be punished he just played it down. Neville could and should have done similar but chose to make a mountain out of a molehill because that’s how he wanted to play it and he does like big bold statements and headlines.

ROFLUTION

Don't think that's as black and white as that. He clearly loves the club and always has - and is one of the few outspoken ones about the Glazers too.

If he only cared for himself, he would shut up on that matter and be more biased towards the Glazers.

It is like the whole commentator thing is his new way of finding himself after football. Every footballer go through a depression of not playing anymore after retiring, and it seems Neville has simply decided that his new all-entangling hobby is being a reporter and speaking up about everything. It's both bad and good imo - but the motives are both about himself and United now imo. It's not like he does all this commentator-stuff only out of love for United.

We have to remember footballers have no real education and going into commentating is the most fitting thing for most of the old guard, as it's easy and a safe cushion and somewhere they can enter where they "know something about it because they've played it" - lots of crap commentators come out of this notion really. It gets even more ridiculous, as they've simply never been (good) managers, but yet act as commentators that know it all.

Chief123

Exactly this. Neville has a side/narrative than sticks to it and will fit everything he says around it. With this Ronaldo issue he chose to stick the boot in. For all the flack Keane is taking, he didn’t actually say Ronaldo shouldn’t be punished he just played it down. Neville could and should have done similar but chose to make a mountain out of a molehill because that’s how he wanted to play it and he does like big bold statements and headlines.
It was quite the opposite.

Keane went off on a tangent and brought up points based on his own bias. Keane wanted to rant about the same drivel that Ronaldo should start every game and Utd have disrespected him.

Neville was absolutely right in what he said. It was better for Ronaldo to leave as soon as possible and that Utd are a better team when he doesn’t play.

Keane just didn’t like being wrong and even more, admitting he’s wrong.

Ludens the Red

It was quite the opposite.

Keane went off on a tangent and brought up points based on his own bias. Keane wanted to rant about the same drivel that Ronaldo should start every game and Utd have disrespected him.

Neville was absolutely right in what he said. It was better for Ronaldo to leave as soon as possible and that Utd are a better team when he doesn’t play.

Keane just didn’t like being wrong and even more, admitting he’s wrong.
Yeah sure Keane rambled a bit but he didn’t ever say Ronaldo shouldn’t be punished, that’s the only point I was making about Keane. Neville was not right and it was a daft thing to say that Ronaldo should leave the club due to this incident. He should know better having been around for Cantona kicking people in the face and Scholes refusing to play, that burnt bridges can be built again. But he chose to approach this matter in the same ridiculously over the top manner a lot on here chose to. Considering our very limited options up front letting Ronaldo go and banishing him right now would be very stupid. Thankfully Erik Ten Hag isn’t a dramatic moron and has had the adult reasonable reaction to all of this. Punished Ronaldo for one game and integrated him back into the team.

kaku06

This is a bizarre take.

The only ex red pundit who didn't embarrass himself over this Ronaldo incident was Neville. He was the only one talking sense, seems odd to be glad he was blanked in front of everyone. Such a pathetic and petty thing to do by Ronaldo.

Who has he piled onto recently by the way?
What is bizarre? He cares for himself and his opinions more than anything. He has his favorites and would hate on others. Just for example he piled on Pogba to the point he got tonnes of racist abuse for taking and missing a penalty and he talks about mental health for Maguire. He is a hypocrite of the highest order. I lost all the respect for him when he became a apologist for the Qataris in that documentary for the World Cup.

Last edited:

kaku06

If you think Neville loves his own voice, just imagine how much Ronaldo loves himself.
No one is denying that. Ronaldo is a selfish twat of the highest order. But Neville is no saint either. His biases to certain players has always been evident. His own opinions matter to him most than anything. Just like his apologetic tone for the the Qataris for the World Cup. Only 3 people died mind you. He creates narratives whether he is right or wrong and thinks he is the bee’s knees.

Chief123

Yeah sure Keane rambled a bit but he didn’t ever say Ronaldo shouldn’t be punished, that’s the only point I was making about Keane. Neville was not right and it was a daft thing to say that Ronaldo should leave the club due to this incident. He should know better having been around for Cantona kicking people in the face and Scholes refusing to play, that burnt bridges can be built again. But he chose to approach this matter in the same ridiculously over the top manner a lot on here chose to. Considering our very limited options up front letting Ronaldo go and banishing him right now would be very stupid. Thankfully Erik Ten Hag isn’t a dramatic moron and has had the adult reasonable reaction to all of this. Punished Ronaldo for one game and integrated him back into the team.
Disagree.

I think your reaction to Neville’s comments is over the top. Neville wasn't saying Ronaldo should leave over this incident alone.

Neville suggested Ronaldo should leave because he’s not happy or willing to accept he’s going to be a bit part player and a substitute. Hence why the drama. It’s not like he used it as an opportunity to criticise him irrationally. He actually praised him but said he was finding it difficult to accept Utd are a better team without him than with him and that for his and Utds sake it was best for him to move on. He’s right.

Give it a few more games of Ronaldo being benched and we will have the same drama.

Last edited:

Chief123

No one is denying that. Ronaldo is a selfish twat of the highest order. But Neville is no saint either. His biases to certain players has always been evident. His own opinions matter to him most than anything. Just like his apologetic tone for the the Qataris for the World Cup. Only 3 people died mind you. He creates narratives whether he is right or wrong and thinks he is the bee’s knees.
I’m not denying he doesn’t favour certain players over others. But which pundit doesn’t? Even us fans do the same. It’s impossible to be completely partial with every player and put that across at the same time in the media.

However, his comments on the Ronaldo situation were correct and valid in my eyes.

arnie_ni

He never said he should leave the club because of this incident. He said he should leave because he won't accept not starting every game and if he wants to, he'll have to go elsewhere.

He spoken ll no lies. As soon as Martial is back fit (if) he'll be dropped again.

Kin ell, so pundits aren’t even allowed to say anything negative about him? What a petty feck.
Doing himself absolutely no favours whatsoever here.

There’s a much better way to shut pundits up, score fecking goals.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
What did Nev say about Ronaldo?
The clash with Keane after the Chelsea game:

The podcast after the Chelsea game:

Neville is making sense as far as I'm concerned: Ronaldo is struggling with not being the main man at United so he has to leave to go somewhere he'll play, United are a less good team with him than without him these days, the manager is managing him the best way he can given the circumstances etc.

Nothing disrespectful, 100% factual. Ronaldo's ego, which is part of what made him a footballing phenomenon, cannot stand to be overshadowed but at 37 in the Premier League that is always likely to happen. It is not in anyone's best interests for things to continue like this so something has to give in the near future. The talk of 'disrespect' and 'he's a goalscorer so he has to play' is insane and I've been shocked that anyone, least of all Keane and Rio, have come out with that rubbish when the truth is staring us in the face.

MUFC OK

The clash with Keane after the Chelsea game:

5:45 the real Neville shows himself "this is great television" (x3). Absolute Sky sell-out since he joined them. I don't blame him, it's a good gig but that's where Gary's priorities lie on screen.

phelans shorts

5:45 the real Neville shows himself "this is great television" (x3). Absolute Sky sell-out since he joined them. I don't blame him, it's a good gig but that's where Gary's priorities lie on screen.
That’s a daft comment, he was absolutely correct in what he was saying with regards to Ronaldo, and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with somebody who works in tv acknowledging that a segment like that was tv gold.

MUFC OK

That’s a daft comment, he was absolutely correct in what he was saying with regards to Ronaldo, and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with somebody who works in tv acknowledging that a segment like that was tv gold.
You don't think they are encouraged to create "heated debates"?

AndersB

The only sensible reason I can find for Keano's take on the situation is that he's been paid obscene amounts of money to represent it

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
You don't think they are encouraged to create "heated debates"?
The only sensible reason I can find for Keano's take on the situation is that he's been paid obscene amounts of money to represent it
There's no doubt they're all hamming it up for the cameras and are made up with any and all reaction from the public (Fox/Sky/News International 101) but for me Keane is still making a plank out of himself arguing from a ridiculous but also genuinely-held position.

redcucumber

Neville is literally the only one out of the three of him, Keane and Ronaldo who has come out of this looking like a reasonable adult. Keane and Ronaldo both seem to be massively internally conflicted which they are hilariously publicly externalising in their behaviour either through getting overly defensive and reactive (Keane) or pulling bizarre juvenile gestures to try and shame others who they feel slighted them (Ronaldo).

AndersB

There's no doubt they're all hamming it up for the cameras and are made up with any and all reaction from the public (Fox/Sky/News International 101) but for me Keane is still making a plank out of himself arguing from a ridiculous but also genuinely-held position.
It's hard to believe it is a genuinely-held position, as the only requirement I can see for finding a different position is having two eyes

MUFC OK

Neville is literally the only one out of the three of him, Keane and Ronaldo who has come out of this looking like a reasonable adult. Keane and Ronaldo both seem to be massively internally conflicted which they are hilariously publicly externalising in their behaviour either through getting overly defensive and reactive (Keane) or pulling bizarre juvenile gestures to try and shame others who they feel slighted them (Ronaldo).
Dont know why we have to have our legends going at each other over a conversation point. I've never seen the same thing between the many ex-liverpool pundits.

In fact, I think the reason Sky love Neville (and keane to a lesser degree) is he has no loyalty whatsoever and will happily dig out the club or ex-teammates. Can't think of another pundit from any other team who slates players of their former club and certainly not ex-teammates - they don't even hide their bias. Maybe I can be corrected though.