Gary Neville

Sylar

I prefer him as a pundit than commentator. He really likes to believe our goals should be chalked off for offside then goes oh when it's not :lol:

Suv666

Still talking about Newcastle the fecking cnut wanted them to win didn’t he

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
People still listen to this idiot after his Valencia stint?
Now I don't hate Neville but this sentiment here is right. He lost his credibility to me when he massively failed at Valencia and then decided not to take another managerial job.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
People still listen to this idiot after his Valencia stint?
Now I don't hate Neville but this sentiment here is right. He lost his credibility to me when he massively failed at Valencia and then decided not to take another managerial job.
He didn't really. He tried something, it didn't work out for him, so what? He takes some level of courage to put yourself out there and in a position where you can badly fail, and while he certainly lacked self-awareness, he still did give it a shot. Loads of managers fail, and loads of pundits don't even try the managerial route. If we should only be listening to managers who have been successful, we'd basically be watching Mourinho as a pundit in his echo chamber. Which, in fairness, sounds super entertaining.

Neville still did some good work after the Valencia stint, and he does have something to bring to the table, but he is all over the place in terms of his morals and beliefs at this point, I'm not even sure he knows which alternate reality narrative he is driving on any given day of the week.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
He was fine. People want him to be a cheerleader on tv for some reason. All the idiots who genuinely think that he wants us to lose or isn’t happy with us winning need their heads checked

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Very rawkish comments in here recently.

The man is born and bred Manchester and played for only united for his entire career and people who've probably never stepped foot in Manchester let alone old Trafford are questioning if he's a fan or not? Behave.

Malone_Post

Basically wants Antony's legs broken for 'showboating'. Utter bellend.
No he doesn’t. What complete hyperbole. He was very obviously joking around with Carra about what it was like when players did that to them back in the day.

Some people on here have a weird complex about Nev. I mean calling him an ABU ffs! Or saying that he wanted our goal to be disallowed?? Absolutely ridiculous.

cyberman

He was fine. People want him to be a cheerleader on tv for some reason. All the idiots who genuinely think that he wants us to lose or isn’t happy with us winning need their heads checked
There’s a middle ground of being a cheerleader and claiming Bruno cried and whinged for a corner that was rightfully his.

cyberman

Very rawkish comments in here recently.

The man is born and bred Manchester and played for only united for his entire career and people who've probably never stepped foot in Manchester let alone old Trafford are questioning if he's a fan or not? Behave.
First of all it doesn’t matter where a fan is from, stop that condescending nonsense.
Second of all of you didn’t know Gary played for us at all you would swear he hated us from his commentary. Playing for us doesn’t matter a feck when arguing against that point

Norris Cole

You can still be very knowledgeable about to level football without being a top manager. The skills needed for management are quite unique, i think his insight into the game is still fantastic. Much more sensible than most of the pundits we see

mshnsh

He obviously supports utd but tries so hard to appear neutral that you'd think he is a scouse supporter.

keithsingleton

Disturbing how many are calling a club legend, he’s United through and through and doesn’t deserve all the critics. He always wants whats best for the club even though we don’t always agree with his thought proces.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
His pessimistic outlook is unbearable.

Every negative with United he can find he highlights and talks about. I guess that's just how way of doing things, but he shouldn't be commentating on us if he can't remain impartial.

He and Carragher are the polar opposites.

lex talionis

I don’t have a problem with Neville deciding management wasn’t for him. That’s actually a good thing.

But I do have a hard time with his constant defense of Ole. Ancient history now, but that was seriously cringey stuff, not too different from defending the captain of the Titanic had he been around in 1912.

Anustart89

I don’t have a problem with Neville deciding management wasn’t for him. That’s actually a good thing.

But I do have a hard time with his constant defense of Ole. Ancient history now, but that was seriously cringey stuff, not too different from defending the captain of the Titanic had he been around in 1912.
It's not so much that he decided that "management wasn't for him". It's the fact that he went from telling people how to play in order to win football matches and telling everyone what they're doing wrong, then going into management and being utterly dreadful, and then just went back to telling people how to play like the thing in the middle never happened.

How can that not affect his credibility?

Reynoldo

Hes just a bit of a tool really in general. And others have said I think he is just badly mishandling his attempts to not be seen as pro united so much so that he comes across that he actually dislikes us at times. Would much prefer if he was the other way round like Carragher and just being unable not mask his bias towards his former club, I think he would get a lot less grief on here in that case.

tomaldinho1

He fuels narratives around United getting awarded soft decisions because he panders to whoever United play - he kept saying it was offside for the first goal yet it was obvious that it was on or, at most, too close to call.

Red Star One

Yeah, I'd say, based on the results he's been getting, that it was the management that decided this job isn't for him. And I agree with the poster above, that if you had your shot as a manager, turned out to be a complete dork and among the most clueless debutants the continent has seen in a decade, it's not easy to maintain credibility as a football expert and pundit ready to criticize much more accomplished managers.
Disturbing how many are calling a club legend, he’s United through and through and doesn’t deserve all the critics. He always wants whats best for the club even though we don’t always agree with his thought proces.
I think we should anyhow give up on a notion that it's enough for someone to "want the best for the club" to be exempt from criticism. I mean, one could say the same about Glazers - that they always wanted what's the best for the club, even though we don't always agree with their thought process. Good intentions mean feck all if you remain hostage of your inabilities, ignorance or favourites, as in Gary's case.
Watching him on the TV for a few years now I'd also say he comes across as a person who has his own interest in mind much more than club's interest. He's nothing more than a very well paid Sky asset - recognisable face and name, plenty of controversial takes, winds up United fans as a former player tasked with belittling us.

Ego, money, United. In that order.

AndySmith1990

It's not so much that he decided that "management wasn't for him". It's the fact that he went from telling people how to play in order to win football matches and telling everyone what they're doing wrong, then going into management and being utterly dreadful, and then just went back to telling people how to play like the thing in the middle never happened.

How can that not affect his credibility?
A person can have great knowledge of a subject but possess terrible leadership skills. Not that I'm saying this is the case for Neville, but still

Shark

@NotShark
He wanted what's best to our detriment. Backing Ole his mate who was taking us absolutely nowhere until he was forced into a corner because of the inevitable collapse. Even then he was negative towards anyone potentially turning it around because he believed Ole was let down instead of being tremendously out of his depth.

Reyoji-Utd

I like him as a club legend.

I dont like his commentary/judgments within United matches.

keithsingleton

He wanted what's best to our detriment. Backing Ole his mate who was taking us absolutely nowhere until he was forced into a corner because of the inevitable collapse. Even then he was negative towards anyone potentially turning it around because he believed Ole was let down instead of being tremendously out of his depth.
Absolutely agree Ole out of his debt but we can’t always get it right with our opinions and obviously he got that one wrong. Neville still fantastic at his job and no one can always be right.

Mr.Hik

Yeah. Can't take him serious. My football life improved so much when I decided to stop listening to "pundits" and "football experts".
I had read better analysis from some posters on this forum.

schmurnan

I just think he tries to come across as neutral and probably goes a bit too far towards giving United a hard time. Surely nobody here truly thinks Gary Neville dislikes United? He loves the Club, he won everything there is to win here and it's through that desire to see the Club do well that he's probably a little too critical at times. Probably trying to balance his passion with his professionalism and it doesn't always come across as we'd like it to.

He's far less cringeworthy than listening to people like Souness, Redknapp et al who are so far up their former club's backsides that it's terrible to listen to. Gary has some good insights, but I personally think his skills lend themselves more to punditry and analysis than they do to commentary.