Gary Neville

Chairman Steve

Our Gary is just your average pessimistic match day thread poster but on broadcast TV. A bag of nerves, near defeatist attitude to the team and only compliments if we score. If VAR gets involved, it’s going to go against us. If a nasty 50/50 challenge happens, the United player is the one in trouble.

But like your average match day posting pessimist, he revels in the win when it actually does happen.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Our Gary is just your average pessimistic match day thread poster but on broadcast TV. A bag of nerves, near defeatist attitude to the team and only compliments if we score. If VAR gets involved, it’s going to go against us. If a nasty 50/50 challenge happens, the United player is the one in trouble.

But like your average match day posting pessimist, he revels in the win when it actually does happen.
I don't have a good opinion generally of Gary but there's zero doubt he loves the club. Just listen to that reaction to the Sancho goal against Liverpool.

Djemba-Djemba

It's exactly this.

It's hilarious how every time one of our goals go to VAR he immediately thinks it'll get ruled out for whatever reason. Anyone questioning if he loves the club is mental.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster

Yeah I pretty much agree see it in the exact same way. It makes him terrible to be on commentary for us but he's fine as a pundit

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine

That’s fine in places like this where you can just scroll past the constant doom mongering. It’s especially tiring and draining when you have to listen to it week in and week out. I’m lucky I missed it last night as I was at Wembley, but I can totally understand where a lot of posters in this thread are coming from.

Pele's blue pil

Supports
Arsenal
Why does he always see things that didnt happen or ever look like they happened. In the cup final it was getting worried Fred would get a second yellow for two Newcastle players colliding and normally it's the oohhhh whenever anything happens in the penalty area. Man's a clown

cyberman

I don't have a good opinion generally of Gary but there's zero doubt he loves the club. Just listen to that reaction to the Sancho goal against Liverpool.
He lets loose a bit in those games because he’s supposed to be biased. It’s why he and Carragher are on commentary.

Judas

Open to offers

Nail on the head. I've said this so many times I'm sick of saying it. It's almost like Gary is holding a mirror up to how the majority on here act especially and mostly during a match, and brilliantly they hate what they see, and can't seem to quite compute its how they act themselves.

He's simply far too emotionally invested to commentate on our games. The idea that he hates us is probably the most RAWK level nonsense shite that gets wheeled out on here, far too often.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Just watching the new Overlap video about the cup final at the weekend. Sometimes it feels like he doesn't understand football or certain players or managers. As if he's watched a youtube video about them and bases his whole thought process about them from it.

Ladron de redcafe

Just watching the new Overlap video about the cup final at the weekend. Sometimes it feels like he doesn't understand football or certain players or managers. As if he's watched a youtube video about them and bases his whole thought process about them from it.
That's what he sounds to me all the time.
I have lost count of the number of times I would see him on a panel and think the exact same thing you just said, which brings up the question regarding whether he watches the players he's commenting on.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
That's what he sounds to me all the time.
I have lost count of the number of times I would see him on a panel and think the exact same thing you just said, which brings up the question regarding whether he watches the players he's commenting on.
:lol: In this video he keeps banging on about EtH being a Pep disciple and a possession based god at Ajax and the Athletic bloke is trying to tell him that's not really what he is but he stands by it.

MUFC OK

Shock horror on the latest Overlap, Shay Given, another goalkeeper saying United can 100% win the league with De Gea. Also said whilst people "get carried away with ball at your feet, the first and foremost as a goalkeeper is to keep the ball out of the net".

You won't find a former goalkeeper that thinks he needs replacing.

Giggs' right foot

Why does he always see things that didnt happen or ever look like they happened. In the cup final it was getting worried Fred would get a second yellow for two Newcastle players colliding and normally it's the oohhhh whenever anything happens in the penalty area. Man's a clown
He’s got so many things going for him so he’s never operating above 40% concentration.

Think pundits like Keane, Carragher etc. all have alluded to that very fact. He rushes into the studio 5-10 minutes before air time. He strikes me as a guy who definitely doesn’t watch games if he’s not in one way or another paid for it.

:lol: In this video he keeps banging on about EtH being a Pep disciple and a possession based god at Ajax and the Athletic bloke is trying to tell him that's not really what he is but he stands by it.
Yeah, that was a weird take. I agree with his overall sentiment about what he wants to see from a United team, but I don't understand why he thinks he needs to set up an alternative reality to get the point across. I only watched Ajax under EtH in the CL, but I never felt like I was watching a posession based team a la Pep.

Ladron de redcafe

Yeah, that was a weird take. I agree with his overall sentiment about what he wants to see from a United team, but I don't understand why he thinks he needs to set up an alternative reality to get the point across. I only watched Ajax under EtH in the CL, but I never felt like I was watching a posession based team a la Pep.
As silent witness and Giggs' right foot point out, he very clearly doesn't watch football (or the teams he's discussing) as much as he should in order to have an informed opinion about them.

It comes across as lazy and similar to the "First Take" punditry in American Sports debate shows. If it's blatantly obvious that the person on the screen has no clue what they're talking about, I'm not sure why we as viewers should tune in to watch what they have to say.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Shock horror on the latest Overlap, Shay Given, another goalkeeper saying United can 100% win the league with De Gea. Also said whilst people "get carried away with ball at your feet, the first and foremost as a goalkeeper is to keep the ball out of the net".

Carl Anka was the one who seemed adamant that United won't win the league with De Gea in goal.

Neville and the United fans were the ones who weren't convinced replacing De Gea would be a smart move with Neville calling the United keeper as the toughest position in the league

GlasgowCeltic

it’s why Carraghers a better pundit for me, comes across as a football fanatic on that cbs coverage, I don’t think Neville’s interest stretches far beyond Utd at this point, fair enough

poleglass red

De Gea has already won the PL once, so we know in the right team he can do it. Funny thing about Given, himself a very capable premier league keeper, is that everything De Gea is criticised for, Given was as well, ie not coming for crosses, staying rooted to his line. I'm not disputing what he said, actually I'd agree with him, but I feel maybe a bit of the goalkeepers union protecting each other coming into play somewhat. I feel it's difficult to criticise someone who has the same faults as you.

Chief123

That was a bit worrying for a moment. Seeing the “Celebrity deaths” thread and this one at the top of New posts at the same time. :nervous:

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Side point - I am a big fan of Carl Anka and really enjoy how he speaks and covers football.
He used to slightly annoy me, I felt his diction was a bit broken at times, but as I've listened to the Athletic podcast about Utd, I've come to appreciate him more and more. Quite measured in his opinions, always backs it up with facts, and has a good tactical insight of the game without being too nerdy about it.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Side point - I am a big fan of Carl Anka and really enjoy how he speaks and covers football.
He used to slightly annoy me, I felt his diction was a bit broken at times, but as I've listened to the Athletic podcast about Utd, I've come to appreciate him more and more. Quite measured in his opinions, always backs it up with facts, and has a good tactical insight of the game without being too nerdy about it.
He comes across a bit awkward when speaking at times but clearly has a very good knowledge of football.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
He comes across a bit awkward when speaking at times but clearly has a very good knowledge of football.
Yeah that was it! But once I got past that, it's quite evident he's a very good journalist. Also comes across as a really nice guy, I like the chemistry between him, Andy Mitten and Laurie Whitwell on the Talk of the Devils podcast.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Is that the Talk of the Devils podcast? Really like that and agreed.

Despite being biased it ain't as good as our own United Hour pod! :lol: ;)

Yeah I like that he makes a point and backs it up.

FujiVice

Neville: "Did you see Man United having 20% possession in a game?"

Anka "Yes, that's what a counter press is!"

SuperiorXI

In fairness I was the same. Fred has previous with the yellow card situation and getting sent off. I was thinking it was inevitable and thankfully he got pulled off with 15 mins to go.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I dont know if Neville quite understands modern coaching as he seems to relate everything about Ten Hag back to SAF style management, or cant seem to see anything beyond motivating and disciplining players. He still talks about things like the Ronaldo saga or dropping Maguire as stuff that "could have gone either way" and can't seem to relate it to Ten Hag needing his team to play a certain way and the discipline side being intertwined with that, rather than him just dropping people who turn up late to a meeting etc.

He's still a drama queen as well. When he was going on as if Fred was going to get sent off after a Newcastle player fouled themselves and the ref played on.

I really think they need to have a setting on Sky where once enough people watching press the green button, the men in white coats come and take Gary away from commentary and into his "calm down/self reflection" room.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
In fairness I was the same. Fred has previous with the yellow card situation and getting sent off. I was thinking it was inevitable and thankfully he got pulled off with 15 mins to go.
And that was the reason he got pulled

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
He really is insufferable when he commentates on our games. Every 50/50 challenge is a free kick for Liverpool in his eyes, every attack by Liverpool is us getting dominated. It’s just a bore to listen to.

Man-United

He's a joke. Loves his own voice, talks all the time, he's not the commentator ffs.

arnie_ni

He also said its nothing to worry about long term just for a bit of balance in the thread

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Neville seems to really have it in for Fernandes today, like he is itching for him make a mistake so he can jump on him