Gary Neville

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Can I just say - because I haven't seen it discussed yet, which is a huge surprise because it's so obvious - that the science and technology in the game today means it makes total sense for there to be at least two designated pen takers...

Goalkeepers are privy to so many stats about penalty takers (them and their gk coaches study opposition players) that it makes sense to mix it up a bit.

Ole has appointed two pen takers at the club; two players who will play in the majority of games - he has explained this perfectly well and it makes total sense. Why is it still a discussion?
Because we missed one? Go figure

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Pogba was not under instruction to do anything. Rashford picked up the ball and was preparing to take the penalty, like anyone with a perfect penalty-taking conversion rate would do, Pogba then walked over to him and proceeded to talk him out of it, in favour of taking it himself.

Why do you think Pogba did that?
Pogba being our sole penalty taker from last season wasn't under any instruction to do anything, really? How does that make sense?

The same way Pogba stepped aside to let Rashford take the pen last week, Rashford was just returning the favor this match. We missed the pen, the keeper made a great save, it happens. We should move on, I really don't see the big deal here.

Also, why do people talk about Rashford's conversion rate as if that makes him 100% certain to score? He's taken 2 penalties altogether for us, how that translates to such confidence I never know.

If Rashford would have taken the pen and missed, would there be as big an uproar calling him selfish & treacherous? The answer to that should highlight the big problem here.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Pogba being our sole penalty taker from last season wasn't under any instruction to do anything, really? How does that make sense?

The same way Pogba stepped aside to let Rashford take the pen last week, Rashford was just returning the favor this match. We missed the pen, the keeper made a great save, it happens. We should move on, I really don't see the big deal here.

Also, why do people talk about Rashford's conversion rate as if that makes him 100% certain to score? He's taken 2 penalties altogether for us, how that translates to such confidence I never know.

If Rashford would have taken the pen and missed, would there be as big an uproar calling him selfish & treacherous? The answer to that should highlight the big problem here.
Exactly. People are talking as if Rashford has converted 20 penalties or something. The guy has taken 2 penalties and all of a sudden everyone else beside him taking penalties is overstepping their boundaries.

I'm sure at 2 pens, Pogba also had a spotless record. Some people just need to calm down.

Classical Mechanic

Exactly. People are talking as if Rashford has converted 20 penalties or something. The guy has taken 2 penalties and all of a sudden everyone else beside him taking penalties is overstepping their boundaries.

I'm sure at 2 pens, Pogba also had a spotless record. Some people just need to calm down.
He’s taken 6 career penalties and scored them all but no player is guaranteed to score.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
No one instructed Paul Pogba to walk over to Rashford and convince him not to take the penalty, he done that of his own volition. Most likely because he was the one tripped and denied a goal-scoring opportunity.

Pogba missed the pen, the keeper made an average save, it should not have happened. It's a big deal because we ended up drawing a game that we absolutely should have won. Two points lost that we can ill-afford, a chance to open the season with a 100% record - beating two hard-to-beat teams in the process - and going top of the table. Missing that penalty was a very big deal in the grand scheme of things.

There is no guarantee Rashford would have scored but that's hardly the point. He's taken 6 penalties all told for United (2 for the youth team) and scored them all. Pogba has taken 9 penalties for United, missing 4 of them.

Last edited:

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
He’s taken 6 career penalties and scored them all but no player is guaranteed to score.
Not for us he hasn't. But that is the thing, people are taking Rashfords record and using it like it was a guaranteed goal if he had took it instead. It wasn't even a bad penalty, the keeper guessed the right way and made a good save. It's all been a storm in a teacup.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Not for us he hasn't. But that is the thing, people are taking Rashfords record and using it like it was a guaranteed goal if he had took it instead. It wasn't even a bad penalty, the keeper guessed the right way and made a good save. It's all been a storm in a teacup.
Given the circumstances; a hugely important penalty kick, one that would have practically guaranteed 3 points and sent us top of the table, you'd need to have a pretty damn good reason to walk over to a guy who holds a perfect penalty conversion rate and talk him out of taking it, when you have missed 4 penalties within a 12-month period.

What I've been trying to figure out is this, what possessed Pogba to want to take the penalty ahead of Rashford. I cannot think of a single viable reason all things considered.

Can you?

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
No one instructed Paul Pogba to walk over to Rashford and convince him not to take the penalty, he done that of his own volition. Most likely because he was the one tripped and denied a goal-scoring opportunity.
No-one instructed Rashford to walk over to Pogba and convince him not to take the pen last week. No-one was seemingly bothered about that happening even though that was unprecedented last week. What's the difference here?

Pogba missed the pen, the keeper made an average save, it should not have happened. It's a big deal because we ended up drawing a game that we absolutely should have won. Two points lost that we can ill-afford, a chance to open the season with a 100% record - beating two hard-to-beat teams in the process - and going top of the table. Missing that penalty was a very big deal in the grand scheme of things.
I get that it was unfortunate to not beat the upstarts and go top but the lengths Pogba was vilified after the match, all for missing a pen no-one is guaranteed to score was out of order. It was forgotten that he was our best player that match, playing extremely disciplined in a midfield 2. Lingard missing an open goal was more detrimental to our chances of winning the game I thought.

There is no guarantee Rashford would have scored but that's hardly the point. He's 6 penalties all told for United (2 for the youth team) and scored them all. Pogba has taken 9 penalties for United, missing 4 of them.
Its not ideal that Pogba is changing his way to take a penalty but his technique and leadership make him a valuable choice. Rashford, Pogba, Martial all seem perfectly capable of taking a pen for us so I'm happy with any of them taking it really.

Classical Mechanic

It wasn’t a good penalty, it never is at that height and not properly in the corner. He hit it hard but it’s was a saveable pen every time the keeper goes the right way. Pogba’s penalty record is weak, he’s missed 1 out of every 4 in his career. The criticism was legit even if it was over the top.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Given the circumstances; a hugely important penalty kick, one that would have practically guaranteed 3 points and sent us top of the table, you'd need to have a pretty damn good reason to walk over to a guy who holds a perfect penalty conversion rate and talk him out of taking it, when you have missed 4 penalties within a 12-month period.

What I've been trying to figure out is this, what possessed Pogba to want to take the penalty ahead of Rashford. I cannot think of a single viable reason all things considered.

Can you?
Not really, that's Pogba for you. He has an unshakeable belief in his own ability.

These are the facts we know:

• Pogba was our only penalty taker for last season.
  • It had been explained by Rashford previously that whoever wins the penalty is free to take it.
  • Pogba then wins the penalty.

Adding all that together, I don't think it was anything out of the ordinary for him to step up and ask to take it himself. Why do you think it was?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Not really, that's Pogba for you. He has an unshakeable belief in his own ability.

These are the facts we know:

• Pogba was our only penalty taker for last season.
  • It had been explained by Rashford previously that whoever wins the penalty is free to take it.
  • Pogba then wins the penalty.

Adding all that together, I don't think it was anything out of the ordinary for him to step up and ask to take it himself. Why do you think it was?
There is a fine line between confidence and over-confidence - the frankly ridiculous run-up to his penalties from last seasons has me leaning towards the latter in Pogba's case.

Pogba was not our only penalty taker last season, Rashford took 2 or 3 and scored them all (how could you forget Rashford's epic moment against PSG in the CL?)

I already explained why I thought Pogba's decision to take the penalty was a poor one (to say the least) in my previous post on the subject.

OL29

There is a fine line between confidence and over-confidence - the frankly ridiculous run-up to his penalties from last seasons has me leaning towards the latter in Pogba's case.

Pogba was not our only penalty taker last season, Rashford took 2 or 3 and scored them all (how could you forget Rashford's epic moment against PSG in the CL?)

I already explained why I thought Pogba's decision to take the penalty was a poor one (to say the least) in my previous post on the subject.
Hold on, wasn’t Rashford’s only penalty the one against PSG when Pogba was off the pitch? Pogba took a bunch of penalties last season, he was pretty clearly first choice.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Hold on, wasn’t Rashford’s only penalty the one against PSG when Pogba was off the pitch? Pogba took a bunch of penalties last season, he was pretty clearly first choice.
According to Ole there never was a first choice penalty taker, which is why there is a debate about it.

I thought Rashford took at least 2 pens last year. I could be wrong though.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Pogba was not under instruction to do anything. Rashford picked up the ball and was preparing to take the penalty, like anyone with a perfect penalty-taking conversion rate would do, Pogba then walked over to him and proceeded to talk him out of it, in favour of taking it himself.

Why do you think Pogba did that?

Because like Rashford did last week, and confirmed in his interview after the Chelsea game, if you win it and feel confident...your taking it.

It's not rocket science. You might not like it but it's not Pogba's fault, it's what was decided. In fact Pogba was the last designated penalty taker we had and scored five of his last six in the league last season.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

So boring reading this nonsense still. Yeah you don't like the guy.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.

I see it as it's just who he is. I would never want him to lose that side of him personally. For everyone's hearts sake he has cut that out this season thankfully!

I don't want to be pedantic, but Rashford had never taken a penalty for us whilst Pogba was on the pitch before. Last week was unprecenedented, that's why i can't understand the uproar over this one. I could never forget Rashford's PSG goal in a million years. That was the highlight of last season for me. :)

I appreciate your opinion. Like me, you just want to see the team succeed.

Anyway, i hope we can put it all behind us, move on and fully get behind the team today.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I see it as it's just who he is. I would never want him to lose that side of him personally. For everyone's hearts sake he has cut that out this season thankfully!

I don't want to be pedantic, but Rashford had never taken a penalty for us whilst Pogba was on the pitch before. Last week was unprecenedented, that's why i can't understand the uproar over this one. I could never forget Rashford's PSG goal in a million years. That was the highlight of last season for me. :)

I appreciate your opinion. Like me, you just want to see the team succeed.

Anyway, i hope we can put it all behind us, move on and fully get behind the team today.
Back at you.

And I'm sure we'll get past this, the battering of Palace this afternoon will go a long way to accomplishing that ;)

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
It's because like it or not he's a powerful figure in football media. If a United "legend" it seen calling our best player selfish and treacherous, how else do you think the media and opposition are going to react? no wonder the racists decided to target him after that as they feel he's a fair target.

The main point is he would never have handled it the same way with other players. If it was Rashford and Lingard deciding between themselves he would have had about 10 seconds and left it.
He is powerful figure because of United fans who like him because he pretends he is top football analysists, I am not sure oppo fans like him anymore than our fans like and respect Caragher, for example. Racist will be racist with or without Neville, the most important part is that the club stands behind our players when something like that hapoens and tell them to stop reading what is written in media about them. But our club is generally awful when it comes to PR stuff so that's bigger problem than Gary Neville talking bollocks.

Bolded part: I know, that's why I wrote about his bias for English players.

Tel074

Well do you have anything more than your opinion 'Pogba is shit at penalties' to back up your claim that Pogba wasn't the penalty taker ? Because all the evidence which isn't your opinion, suggests Pogba was following instructions and well within his rights to take the penalty.

If you want to say you felt Rashford should've took it or that Pogba shouldn't take anymore penalties that's a different argument and one I'd agree with, but your claiming Pogba broke rank on penalties, acted against the managers instructions based on the fact 'you know it because Pogba is shit at penalties'.

That argument only deserves the reply it got. It's moronic.
Haha look through any of my posts and show me where I stated once that Pogba broke rank or acted against his managers wishes ? So who's post is moronic ? At least reply to the post with some sense of truth or don't reply at all . I've stated a fact that Pogba is shit at penalties his record shows he is now if you want to argue he isn't shit at them then there's a discussion but for you to create a lie and then call it moronic shows me who the moron is my friend

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I wonder if Gaz will consider this as treachery

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I fecking knew it, all this BS has piled the pressure on Rashford too. everybody screaming RASHFORD RASHFORD so he had to never miss.

This whole situation has turned out ridiculous

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
What will he say now?

Just sooo happy can watch football and avoid Neville ( and Carragher..) these days.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
This is what happens when something so trivial as a missed penalty is completely blown out of proportion. Thanks Gary Neville.

Pressure is magnified tenfold on whoever takes one for us now. Miss and you're labelled selfish and treacherous.

I wait for the tweet this time.

El Zoido

His reaction to Pogba’s miss has put massive pressure on Rashford to score his.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
This is what happens when something so trivial as a missed penalty is completely blown out of proportion. Thanks Gary Neville.

I wait for the treacherous tweet this time.
You’re saying our players shouldn’t be able to handle pressures caused by pundit analysis?

Surely that’s par for the course these days?

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
You’re saying our players shouldn’t be able to handle pressures caused by pundit analysis?

Surely that’s par for the course these days?
Being labelled selfish and treacherous over a missed penalty is par for the course now?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Being labelled selfish and treacherous over a missed penalty is par for the course now?
It’s all hyperbole in this social media easily outraged era, which these players have all grown up in.

It’s only as big a deal as you allow it to be. It shouldn’t be a big deal.