Gary Neville

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
United aren't a top team then?

So, we should sell them, because he's too good for United?

It's embarrassing, what we need is more players like him, not to suggest he's too good for us. How are we supposed to get back to challenging for the league without the best players?

It's my own fault for taking any notice of the bollocks he spouts on a regular basis. If he was a poster on here, he would have been banned by now, or half the Forum would have him on ignore.
I think all he’s saying is that he’s good enough to play for City.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
@Sassy Colin , you're being totally paranoid about that comment. Our midfield looks nothing like City's midfield. Agreed? Ours has been dysfunctional for years and has been our main cause of discontent as a fan base this season. City's is based around control, composure, good decision making, good technique. These are qualities displayed by Mainoo on Saturday. What Neville is saying is obvious. Your take is weird. Don't be weird, Colin.

macheda14

Bunch of weird snowflakes in here. Honestly so insecure that a comment like this has them frothing at the mouth.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
@Sassy Colin , you're being totally paranoid about that comment. Our midfield looks nothing like City's midfield. Agreed? Ours has been dysfunctional for years and has been our main cause of discontent as a fan base this season. City's is based around control, composure, good decision making, good technique. These are qualities displayed by Mainoo on Saturday. What Neville is saying is obvious. Your take is weird. Don't be weird, Colin.
Go support City then, if you love them so much.

Sir Marcus

Neville is spot on. The United-Everton match was also like watching a different sport after the City-Liverpool game. Agricultural, route one football. Horrendous, stone age stuff.

Now Everton were the main villains and we did play some decent football at times (first 5 minutes and most of second half) but Neville is spot on about Mainoo’s composure and quality on the ball looking out of place compared to the way we usually treat it like a hot potato. And the way City players look after the ball is the polar opposite to watching United so far this season.

Obviously, ETH surely wants us to be more careful in possession and Mainoo seems like a step in the right direction. But that doesn’t make Neville’s comment any less accurate.
Give it a fecking rest.

cyberman

City v Liverpool was a limp snooze fest. That wasn’t a good example to be fair

Sir Marcus

An absolutely ridiculous example, and a perfect illustration of how certain people just roll off the same old bullshit every week when it comes to us, one of which is Gary Neville.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It was a weird example to take. Our game wasn't even particularly bad, our second half was in fact pretty good.
Our match was infinitely more entertaining than the City match but we’re talking styles of football here. And the football Mainoo was playing would have looked right at home in that City team. Simple, accurate short passing with the ball almost always on the deck. Which is obviously very different to what we’ve got used to seeing in our own central midfield with Casemiro smashing first time Hollywood passes or McT doing McT things. It’s a completely harmless (and accurate) comment by Neville. It’s crazy the way so many people on here get so triggered by the notion that City, shock horror, have been playing better football than us.

Red00012

United aren't a top team then?

So, we should sell them, because he's too good for United?

It's embarrassing, what we need is more players like him, not to suggest he's too good for us. How are we supposed to get back to challenging for the league without the best players?

It's my own fault for taking any notice of the bollocks he spouts on a regular basis. If he was a poster on here, he would have been banned by now, or half the Forum would have him on ignore.
Calm down

Still ill

I'm a troll because I won't join in the City love in? feck me, I have zero interest in those cheating cnuts.
You seem a bit feverish, Col. No City fans here. I think when you come back to this one down the line you'll feel a bit sheepish.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
So, too good for United?

Like I said, read Keane's comment.
I don't know why you are upset over this. City have been a better team than us for a decade. Let's face it, on the pitch they have higher standards. That doesn't mean Neville is saying Mainoo should go play for City.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Our match was infinitely more entertaining than the City match but we’re talking styles of football here. And the football Mainoo was playing would have looked right at home in that City team. Simple, accurate short passing with the ball almost always on the deck. Which is obviously very different to what we’ve got used to seeing in our own central midfield with Casemiro smashing first time Hollywood passes or McT doing McT things. It’s a completely harmless (and accurate) comment by Neville. It’s crazy the way so many people on here get so triggered by the notion that City, shock horror, have been playing better football than us.
But that's not at all what you said. You compared the Saturday vs Sunday games, in an inaccurate manner - for shock value, I imagine.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
But that's not at all what you said. You compared the Saturday vs Sunday games, in an inaccurate manner - for shock value, I imagine.
It wasn't inaccurate though. The Saturday match was dull to watch but at a very high technical level. The Sunday game was exciting to watch but not very technical at all. In terms of passing the football it was a huge step down in quality. Much more long passes, much more passes not finding their target. The City starting lineup featured 8 players who completed >80% of their passes. Four of them hit 90% plus. For United one, and only one, player managed to complete >80% of their passes. Guess who that was? The player that Neville thinks wouldn't look out of place playing for Manchester City!

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I don't know why you are upset over this. City have been a better team than us for a decade. Let's face it, on the pitch they have higher standards. That doesn't mean Neville is saying Mainoo should go play for City.
So you were fine when we sold Jaap Stam?

Rooney in Paris

Scout
It wasn't inaccurate though. The Saturday match was dull to watch but at a very high technical level. The Sunday game was exciting to watch but not very technical at all. In terms of passing the football it was a huge step down in quality. Much more long passes, much more passes not finding their target. The City starting lineup featured 8 players who completed >80% of their passes. Four of them hit 90% plus. For United one, and only one, player managed to complete >80% of their passes. Guess who that was? The player that Neville thinks wouldn't look out of place playing for Manchester City!
I mean, not really, and even if the Sunday game was a bit lower level from a technical perspective, it wasn't " Agricultural, route one football. Horrendous, stone age stuff." as you claimed it was, whichever way you try to dress it up now.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I mean, not really, and even if the Sunday game was a bit lower level from a technical perspective, it wasn't " Agricultural, route one football. Horrendous, stone age stuff." as you claimed it was, whichever way you try to dress it up now.
It was though. Although - as I already said in the post you quoted - this was mainly down to Everton. PL football has got to a point where it's actually very unusual to see the amount of long range, route one passes we saw in that game. And I say "passes" but a lot of them were really just hit and hope.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
An absolutely ridiculous example, and a perfect illustration of how certain people just roll off the same old bullshit every week when it comes to us, one of which is Gary Neville.
Hadn't thought about it until now. Is Neville posting as @Pogue Mahone on an elaborate WUM? Probably.....

Still ill

In my time on the Caf, I've seen some pretty stoopid discussions. From humble beginnings, this Gary Neville/Mainoo comments discussion is rocketing up the charts. I'll be keeping an eye on it.

tomaldinho1

In my time on the Caf, I've seen some pretty stoopid discussions. From humble beginnings, this Gary Neville/Mainoo comments discussion is rocketing up the charts. I'll be keeping an eye on it.
Ronaldo Messi is slowly ebbing away so it's only natural the next head to head is G Nev and Mainoo.

Juicy Juiced

Redcafe would make two brothers fight.
Gary is just looking for sensational narative to make engagement and clicks.
We didn't lose, and United+City was the other easiest way.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I quite admire Nevilles attempt to be impartial as a pundit. He knows what his job is now and what it requires to do it well, and he's at least trying.

I had the misfortune of having to listen to Danny Murphy try everything he could to avoid having to praise Garnacho for that goal, simply because he's incapable of being impartial, and the same goes for most of them.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

This is the "worst" thing about Neville for me - the man is so self-deprecating/undermining himself as a footballer that people are actually starting to think he wasn't a brilliant footballer, and easily one of the best right-backs in Prem history.

Rooney in Paris

Scout

This is the "worst" thing about Neville for me - the man is so self-deprecating/undermining himself as a footballer that people are actually starting to think he wasn't a brilliant footballer, and easily one of the best right-backs in Prem history.
Yeah I do agree with that - he was sensational, really consistent and a great captain in title winning team after title winning team. It's a shame he downplays it, he was extraordinary.

IRELANDUNITED

I'm a troll because I won't join in the City love in? feck me, I have zero interest in those cheating cnuts.
Anything city do or achieve essentially doesn’t count because of the cheating. They have a good team, yes sure, but because of the 115 charges for cheating it more or less doesn’t count that they have a good team because they’ve obtained it and the trophies they’ve won illegally.

poleglass red

Neville was a great defender, and it wasn't until Beckham left that people appreciated how good his crossing actually was. The other thing about Neille, when he realised his body was done, he stepped aside. Not too many pros would have the honesty to do that, a lot keep on going past their sell by dates, a lot of full backs once their pace goes try and play centre half. Fergie didn't want him to retire but he knew himself he couldn't maintain the standards he set.