Gavi

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Came here hoping we were linked to the player, but instead it's posters trying to argue that Shakira isn't 'all that'. :lol:
I agree with said posters. She is obviously attractive, no question, but she is a tad overrated, and other latino celebrities such as Jennifer Lopez and Eva Mendez are much nicer.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
Gavi starting for Spain and Barcelona is more a symptom of the lack of quality in both teams than a supreme achievement.
This is absolutely untrue ... Barca have a problem in attack and defense ... their midfield is fine ... which is why selling FdJ is not seen as much of an issue. Spain's low talented team came 3rd in Euro 2020 and 2nd in Nations League 2021.

there's absolutely no guarantee, especially after only 6 months into his professional career.
Everyone's risk perspective is different ... Also he has had a very good 12 months of domestic football (in a dysfunctional team) and international football in a team that is rebuilding. I think PSG took a bigger risk spending 150m on Mbappe who relies a lot on his pace/physicality/acceleration to find space (though is technique is also good). Now Monaco's Mbappe only had 6 months of great form before PSG came calling in.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
This is absolutely untrue ... Barca have a problem in attack and defense ... their midfield is fine ... which is why selling FdJ is not seen as much of an issue. Spain's low talented team came 3rd in Euro 2020 and 2nd in Nations League 2021.
Their midfield is not fine, especially without De Jong and an aging Busquets. It will be fine if Gavi, Pedri and Nico fulfill 100% of the expectations that fans/spanish supporters place in them and if nobody gets injured. Which is unlikely to happen from a statistical standpoint and I still fail to see how Kessie is supposed to fit into Xavi's gameplan. It's a talented but inexperienced midfield, meaning it can end up in a rollercoaster. And we've seen that this season especially when Pedri was injured (which happens pretty often).

Everyone's risk perspective is different ... Also he has had a very good 12 months of domestic football (in a dysfunctional team) and international football in a team that is rebuilding. I think PSG took a bigger risk spending 150m on Mbappe who relies a lot on his pace/physicality/acceleration to find space (though is technique is also good). Now Monaco's Mbappe only had 6 months of great form before PSG came calling in.
No, he has had 4 months of very good domestic football, the first part of Barcelona's season is terrible and it also went south right around their EL elimination. And Gavi wasn't above the rest of them. So basically from december to april and that's pretty much it.

And yes, PSG took a big risk with Mbappé and they're lucky it paid off. That being said, prices of strikers can't really be compared to midfielders, especially unusual profiles like Gavi's.

Last edited:

HookedOnAPhelan

Is it just me or is Shakira nothing special? A fairly plain looking girl with an oddly masculine singing voice, plus she's actually a few years older than Piqué. It's just a bit weird how everyone says how stupid he must be to cheat on Shakira like she's a goddess when at least half the women you see are better looking than her.

That being said, cheating not cool but he really should have done better in the first place.

And the Gavi mother rumours are presumably hogwash anyway.
Ignore all the haters mate, I completely agree. I never understood the fuss about her either. Great ass though to be fair.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
It's a talented but inexperienced midfield, meaning it can end up in a rollercoaster.
This kind of logic can be used with any team trying to rebuild. I'm not saying Gavi is a finished product, I'm saying that I would be happy if Madrid paid 100m for Gavi (based on his perceived ceiling) instead of 100m for a Tchouameni.
No, he has had 4 months of very good domestic football,
This is not true at all ... his average rating has pretty much remain range bound around 7.0 in both the first and second halves of the season (sofascore, whoscored). He' been very consistent unlike Barca's scorers and defense. Its like blaming Messi when the PSG defense failed to do its job against Madrid :houllier:

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
This is not true at all ... his average rating has pretty much remain range bound around 7.0 in both the first and second halves of the season (sofascore, whoscored). He' been very consistent unlike Barca's scorers and defense. Its like blaming Messi when the PSG defense failed to do its job against Madrid :houllier:
This is a terrible metric. Bruno Fernandes has an average Whoscored rating of 7.03 in the PL, Gavi is rated 6.79 in La Liga. So Gavi is rated far lower than Bruno who just had a pretty bad season.

But I you want to go in this direction fine, he's at the 80th La Liga overall rank so yeah, it's very consistent. Consistently bad.

Bonus (useless) stat : he's ranked 509 out of 591 players in Europa League and 346th/440 in the CL...

Last edited:

kthanksbye

So good to watch, going to be a solid player. Wish we still produced talent like this.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
So he’s what 18-19? So that’s 12 years till he’s washed up at 30.:lol:
17. We should test him with a serious offer and see what happens. Come on Flo!

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
As expected.

I will never not be able to look at him and Pedri as Xavi and Iniesta regens. :lol: It just seems too convenient to be true that Barca have produced two more unbelievable midfielders from La Masia.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
As expected.

I will never not be able to look at him and Pedri as Xavi and Iniesta regens. :lol: It just seems too convenient to be true that Barca have produced two more unbelievable midfielders from La Masia.
How many more times will people keep spouting this. Barca bought Pedri from Las Palmas in 2020 aged 17.

Okey

As expected.

Pedri was bought from Las Palmas 2 years ago. But yeah, the Xavi and Iniesta comparisons are inevitable. They just need to clone Busquets now.

RedStarUnited

How many more times will people keep spouting this. Barca bought Pedri from Las Palmas in 2020 aged 17.
At what age does it become okay to say he was a youth product? Honest question not trying to be smart.

Im pretty sure Xavi and Iniesta played for other clubs before joining La Masia.

cyberman

At what age does it become okay to say he was a youth product? Honest question not trying to be smart.

But he was signed from another club, developed there for another year and went straight into Barcas first team. The man never made a youth appearance for Barca. It’s like us claiming Ronaldo and Rooney.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

I don’t know but once a player has made his pro debut it’s kinda difficult to claim he came through the academy. Pedri played nearly 40 games in the first team for a different club before Barca signed him for their own first team.

Last edited:

OmarUnited4ever

Xavi, joined the youth academy at 11, Iniesta at 14, Iniesta migrated from another town, but he is still considered a La Massia product.

Pedri joined in 2020 and went straight to the first team, not a youth product, but nonetheless an absolute gem, only 19 and is a full fledged regular first teamer at Barca and Spain NT.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I don’t know but once a player has made his pro debut and it’s kinda difficult to claim he came through the academy. Pedri played nearly 40 games in the first team for a different club before Barca signed him for their own first team.
I think that’s a good way to differentiate. If they played first team senior football at another club then they can’t be claimed as an academy product.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Or Paul Pogba…
Pogba is incomparable to Ronaldo and Rooney (or Pedri). Both had played senior football before they joined us, and neither played any youth football for us. Pogba wasn’t a first team signing, and didn’t even start off in our reserve team. Pogba to Juventus is similar to Pedri to Barcelona, but I think we can claim to have shared Pogba’s development with Le Harve.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
So good to watch, going to be a solid player. Wish we still produced talent like this.
Yeah, although he is very young, I can see him being one of the best midfielders in next generation. He needs to develop in some departments of his game to be a better player( maybe in future, we will see).

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

fecking hell, those football players don't even need to do slight effort anymore. fecking bastards :wenger:

Pronewbie

Peep
I've watched him in 3 matches this season and he's what we wish Fred would be. Tireless runner with good composure and technique. He's still young and can only improve especially in his defending and physicality.

cyberman

Barcelona will be able to register Gavi this Tuesday as a first-team player. However, the registration will be pending if LaLiga presents an appeal to this resolution of the judge and ends up winning. Then, the registration would be canceled and the midfielder would return to his current status. That is to say, he would be a B team player again.

And this has serious consequences at the contractual level. According to the contract signed in September of last year, Barcelona has to register Gavi before 11:59 p.m. on January 31, 2023, the day the winter market closes because if he does not do so, his termination clause would drop from 1,000 million to 0. The player, therefore, could go free to any team.

https://www.marca.com/futbol/barcelona/2023/01/31/63d910ecca47418a238b45e3.html
Something to keep an eye on?