Gay footballers | Czech Republic international Jakub Jankto comes out as gay

The Siege

The likes of SIRed and Zachari don't understand the impact that celebrity representatives have towards marginalized communities. 'I do not care' is something you can say only because no one's used your sexual orientation as a stick to beat you with. A gay Premier League footballer is in a position of power to do good and help out a lot of people suffering from the same struggles of existing in a bigot-infested society, while always suffering an immense degree of abuse regardless. They can give people the damn courage to be who they are are, while risking their mental health and happiness. And I am not surprised you can't put yourself in those shoes.

Coming to the topic itself, it's going to be a nightmare for the player. But the trailblazer in situations like these will always end up with a variation of the metaphorical bloody nose. If he feels the abuse is worth it, he's going to change the world and a few decades later they'll remember him as one of the bravest men in football. But it's going to follow a similar trajectory to racism in football, which is a problem that has been dealt with for a much longer time and there are still bigots.

Reactions: jojojo

Siorac

I see both sides.

Making an announcement has no real impact on the sporting side (I doubt that there's an untapped horde of homosexual players)

It also invites unnecessary pressure/tension to the player/club/coach that could possibly negatively affect performances. It would be incredibly naive to think that no fan abuse or internal discrimination would occur. Even a positive media spotlight is an unnecessary distraction.

I would feel exactly the same if Sterling decided to champion an 'Anti Racism' campaign. Just focus on your football, leave the other stuff to John Barnes.
This sort of mentality seeks to protect the majority from inconvenience. "Please do not protest and fight for social issues in arenas where it might interfere with my enjoyment of life". By telling him to focus on his football during his active career, you're telling him keep his head down and don't make a fuss while the potential exposure is the highest it gets - because let's face it, an active, popular footballer is a far bigger influence than a retired one.

Ramos

I just came to say that I support you SIred. As I have nothing against gay people I have a lot against publicly stating your sexual orientation.
The same way I would be against a footballer going out and stating proudly he is into pissing play in sex or something even kinkier. tI is something I do not care and I do not need this info. Just feck whomever you wish and how you both(or more) like it. No need to make it public ffs.
It's not about you. It's about that kid who loves football but happens to be gay and has to face the fact that while his mates in the dressing room are talking about how many birds they'll shag in the weekend, they might completely ostracize or ridicule him if he comes out and says he actually likes boys.

Having to constantly hide who you are from your friends, your colleagues, sometimes your own homophobic family can lead to self-loathing and possibly even suicide attempts. A super star coming out might help that kid feel less awkward. Not that difficult.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Funnily enough, BBC just posted this article.

And I honestly think thered be even more incidents of homophobia.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Football is so tribal with a history of abuse and violence that if I were a gay footballer I don't think there is any way I would go public.

It's not just the terrace abuse which would happen, you could be walking down the street or having a meal and a bunch of pissed up rival supporters could be capable of anything.

It's not just a case of being brave it might also be not being stupid unfortunately and I can't see much of a big change any time soon.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I just came to say that I support you SIred. As I have nothing against gay people I have a lot against publicly stating your sexual orientation.
The same way I would be against a footballer going out and stating proudly he is into pissing play in sex or something even kinkier. tI is something I do not care and I do not need this info. Just feck whomever you wish and how you both(or more) like it. No need to make it public ffs.
Yes because we all equate homosexuality with pissing all over each other "or something even kinkier" only sex between a man and a woman in missionary position is normal and feck me we better not ever talk about it.

Posters like you make amaze me, you are just impossible to underestimate, I hope your balls turn square and rot at the corners :nono:

Siorac

Yes because we all equate homosexuality with pissing all over each other "or something even kinkier" only sex between a man and a woman in missionary position is normal and feck me we better not ever talk about it.

Posters like you make amaze me, you are just impossible to underestimate, I hope your balls turn square and rot at the corners :nono:
I bet he holds hands and kisses his girlfriend in public (if he has one).

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Football is so tribal with a history of abuse and violence that if I were a gay footballer I don't think there is any way I would go public.

It's not just the terrace abuse which would happen, you could be walking down the street or having a meal and a bunch of pissed up rival supporters could be capable of anything.

It's not just a case of being brave it might also be not being stupid unfortunately and I can't see much of a big change any time soon.
Depressing but true. Gareth Thomas was recently beaten up for being gay. If a big tough bastard like him gets physically harmed after making his sexuality public it’s not hard to see why other athletes would be reluctant to follow suit.

As an aside, it is kind of fascinating the different standards applied to male and female gay soccer players. Less than a month after Megan Rapinoe became a global icon, we have a male player too frightened to even come out.

SiRed

Fair fecks to you. So few people are open to having their opinions changed.
If i am wrong, i am wrong - i didn't think of the points others responded with and i can appreciate those counter comments.
If we all shared the same opinions then there would be no point in a forum so despite probably upsetting/angering some people with my initial post, i hope they have read on to see my acceptance of a stronger argument.

Eriku

My point is it will be celebrated beyond all comprehension. I probably should have worded it better.
Take Xfactor for example - an average male singer goes to his audition dressed as a barbie doll in high heels and the narrative given to us public is that he is amazing and so on and the props he receives far outweigh his talent. If he had sung to the same standard dressed normally then he probably wouldn't get any plaudits at all.
Kids at home see this and it influences their future. they feel they can get by with minimal talent by being ''different''
That’s a nothing problem compared to the issues tied to the stigma and prejudice experienced by LGBTs. Or have you ever considered topping yourself because of mediocrities being bigged up on X-factor?

Bratt

Oh lord!:(

fps

Thomas Hiltzelsperger came out after retirement if i remember correctly. Why come out though.... nothing to be gained from it other than influencing the next generation, which i am against personally.
Wow, you need to educate yourself and meet some new people.

fps

The likes of SIRed and Zachari don't understand the impact that celebrity representatives have towards marginalized communities. 'I do not care' is something you can say only because no one's used your sexual orientation as a stick to beat you with. A gay Premier League footballer is in a position of power to do good and help out a lot of people suffering from the same struggles of existing in a bigot-infested society, while always suffering an immense degree of abuse regardless. They can give people the damn courage to be who they are are, while risking their mental health and happiness. And I am not surprised you can't put yourself in those shoes.

Coming to the topic itself, it's going to be a nightmare for the player. But the trailblazer in situations like these will always end up with a variation of the metaphorical bloody nose. If he feels the abuse is worth it, he's going to change the world and a few decades later they'll remember him as one of the bravest men in football. But it's going to follow a similar trajectory to racism in football, which is a problem that has been dealt with for a much longer time and there are still bigots.
Absolutely, representation is so important to minority and marginalised groups. It's a bare minimum for people to feel like they can then belong to the larger whole.

Kag

I see both sides.

Making an announcement has no real impact on the sporting side (I doubt that there's an untapped horde of homosexual players)

It also invites unnecessary pressure/tension to the player/club/coach that could possibly negatively affect performances. It would be incredibly naive to think that no fan abuse or internal discrimination would occur. Even a positive media spotlight is an unnecessary distraction.

I would feel exactly the same if Sterling decided to champion an 'Anti Racism' campaign. Just focus on your football, leave the other stuff to John Barnes.
The football performance of said player is less important than the potential upside to that player’s personal life. If he feels accepted by his family, friends and wider footballing community then his mental health is more likely to improve, rather than suppressing his emotions and privatising more or less every aspect of his life. This is bigger than football, whether you like it or not.

Football and politics has been intertwined since the inception of professional sport. From Hitler to Mandela to Trump, sportspeople have used their positions to further just causes. People like Raheem Sterling absolutely do have a role to play within anti-racism campaigning, if they so wish. They can be so much more than footballers, (again) whether you like that or not.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Thomas Hiltzelsperger came out after retirement if i remember correctly. Why come out though.... nothing to be gained from it other than influencing the next generation, which i am against personally.
I see your point. The next generation of footballers will look at the plethora of openly gay peers like this fella, be awed their popularity and the respect they receive, decide to dump their girfriends or divorce their wives and go gay one day, much to the love and adulation of their fan base.

MsNuno

Supports
Wolves
The first step would be the higher up's in football cracking down on it in a similar way to they did racism, make it clear to supporters anyone caught chanting homophobic language will get a lifetime ban and reprimand any players guilty of such abuse with a lengthy fine and a ban.
I agree, however racism is still a massive problem in football despite the fact that every team has black players and every club has black supporters. How much more difficult must it be to clamp down on homophobia when players are not able to come out as gay? Ironically it's also an environment where grown men kiss and hug one another in public, in celebration!

Sara125

i posted this in the mind set of.... Why do we have to know if player X is attracted to men? it has since been explained to me about privatising aspects of their life that they shouldnt really have to. I have stood corrected. Cheers
Good on you :) so many people stand wrong and strong glad you’re not like that

Zachari

In 21 century no one should be afraid to do legal things, as being gay is legal. I don't see why is the need to make a public statement. You can post instagram pics with your boyfriend and etc. so people will know. Hiding it is stupid. Going out and having a public speech about your sexuality is stupid as well. No one should care. If someone abuses you, well, take measures. Abusers are at wrong here. They should be prosecuted. I for one have never abused gay people, I really don't care and it would not change my opinion on someone whether he is gay or not. In fact a certain gay guy might have felt abused by the lack of reaction when he told me about it and I was indifferent to his sexuality. They happen to like attention and need to feеl like they are special and etc and expect some reaction. I just shrugged shoulders an said: "yeah, whatever" and continued speaking on the topic we were speaking before. The guy said: "man I just told you I am gay" like if it was something super important.
If that is offensive, then I am gay offender. I hate gay parades though for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
In 21 century no one should be afraid to do legal things, as being gay is legal. I don't see why is the need to make a public statement. You can post instagram pics with your boyfriend and etc. so people will know. Hiding it is stupid. Going out and having a public speech about your sexuality is stupid as well. No one should care. If someone abuses you, well, take measures. Abusers are at wrong here. They should be prosecuted. I for one have never abused gay people, I really don't care and it would not change my opinion on someone whether he is gay or not. In fact a certain gay guy might have felt abused by the lack of reaction when he told me and being indifferent to his sexuality as they happen to like attention and need to fell like they are special and etc and expect some reaction. I just shrugged shoulders an said: "yeah, whatever" and continued speaking on the topic we were speaking before. The guy said: "man I just told you I am gay" like if it was something super important.
If that is offensive, then I am gay offender. I hate gay parades though for obvious reasons.
What the hell did I just read?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
In 21 century no one should be afraid to do legal things, as being gay is legal. I don't see why is the need to make a public statement. You can post instagram pics with your boyfriend and etc. so people will know. Hiding it is stupid. Going out and having a public speech about your sexuality is stupid as well. No one should care. If someone abuses you, well, take measures. Abusers are at wrong here. They should be prosecuted. I for one have never abused gay people, I really don't care and it would not change my opinion on someone whether he is gay or not. In fact a certain gay guy might have felt abused by the lack of reaction when he told me and being indifferent to his sexuality as they happen to like attention and need to fell like they are special and etc and expect some reaction. I just shrugged shoulders an said: "yeah, whatever" and continued speaking on the topic we were speaking before. The guy said: "man I just told you I am gay" like if it was something super important.
The obvious reasons being you're a massive homophobe.

Cantona's Collar

It's not a matter of publicly stating their sexual orientation though is it. It's a matter of being able to live a normal life without having to hide who they are. Openly living with their partner, going out for meals, holding hands in the street, having their partner come along with them to awards ceremonies or public functions in general (when you see pictures of footballers holding round their wives publicly do you think "Just feck whomever you wish and how you both(or more) like it. No need to make it public ffs." then?). These, along with many other things, are things a gay footballer can't do. They literally have to hide who and what they are because they are justifiably afraid of the reaction from the terraces if they just try to live a normal life that any heterosexual person takes for granted.

I'm not touching the rest of your points. Fecking hell man, have a word with yourself...

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
*enough internet for today gif*

Ramos

I suppose empathy is just like really, really hard for some people.

Massive Spanner

The obvious reasons being you're a massive homophobe.
I'm not a homophobe, this one time I met a gay guy in the shop and said sorry when I accidentally bumped into him in the aisle. Sure at the time I didn't know he was "a gay" but like, we touched so even though I don't like gay people I'm definitely not a homophobe.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Well this thread is going pretty much the way I expected. Yikes. :lol:

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
What......the.......feck.........

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I'm not a homophobe, this one time I met a gay guy in the shop and said sorry when I accidentally bumped into him in the aisle. Sure at the time I didn't know he was "a gay" but like, we touched so even though I don't like gay people I'm definitely not a homophobe.
fecking hell, what a post:lol:

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Genuinely the most fecked up post I have read on here.

What makes it worse is that you wrote that in support of a previous post, which was the second most fecked up post I have read.

Lynty

This sort of mentality seeks to protect the majority from inconvenience. "Please do not protest and fight for social issues in arenas where it might interfere with my enjoyment of life". By telling him to focus on his football during his active career, you're telling him keep his head down and don't make a fuss while the potential exposure is the highest it gets - because let's face it, an active, popular footballer is a far bigger influence than a retired one.
The football performance of said player is less important than the potential upside to that player’s personal life. If he feels accepted by his family, friends and wider footballing community then his mental health is more likely to improve, rather than suppressing his emotions and privatising more or less every aspect of his life. This is bigger than football, whether you like it or not.

Football and politics has been intertwined since the inception of professional sport. From Hitler to Mandela to Trump, sportspeople have used their positions to further just causes. People like Raheem Sterling absolutely do have a role to play within anti-racism campaigning, if they so wish. They can be so much more than footballers, (again) whether you like that or not.
Both true.

It's a hard one, and a very personal question.

I generally dislike entertainment being used as a platform for political/social issues.

Eg. Rapinoe publically announcing her decision to not accept Trumps invite to Washington.

I'd decline the invite to, but theres no need to make it public.

Neither would i feel obliged to champion social injustices to my ethnic minority background.

I'd just be there for the football, and too look after me and my own. I imagine that there is countless gay footballers who feel the same. There team mates know, there families know, there clubs supoort them. They are perfectly fine without wanting the burden of championing this cause.

Massive Spanner

"I hate gay parades though for obvious reasons." has to be the standout line for me. Obvious reasons, like, it's obvious to everyone why you should hate gay parades innit?

SecondFig

Ahh, so you'd prefer the next generation of gay footballers to live their lives in secrecy and shame?

I mean, something like 4% (ish) of the male population are gay/queer, and there are hundreds (c.600?) of premier league footballers. So purely statistically, there are probably at least 25 current premier league players who are gay.

But you're personally against that. In case what? Young gay players or gay fans have a role model? In case you find out your favourite player has a boyfriend? In case a future Justin Fashanu can come out and simply be accepted for who he is, instead of driven out of the game and to take his own life.

Christ, these kinds of attitudes and opinions make me sad.

Dozer

If the account's genuine, then I understand the reasons why he's backtracked on his decision.

However, personally I believe it was a hoax. Thinking about it rationally... Why have a one month build up on a platform that allows anonymous bullies and bigots to psych you out and potentially make you backtrack on the decision to come out publicly? Why not do it quickly with a TV interview or press conference, where the vitriol from a minority can't reach you as easily, and the full power of the media will drown out the idiots?

Messages of support on Twitter may have outweighed hateful messages in volume, but not in impact. Those negative messages would fester and make you question your decision, of course, but that would have been a pretty obvious assumption from the outset.

Of course they shouldn't have to pick and choose how they come out, and shouldn't have to suffer any kind of abuse, but it seems like the most illogical way to have gone about it, hence I question the legitimacy.

Zachari

Giving zero fecks about someones sexuality does not make me homophobe, nor abuser. If you do not get this, you have a serious problem.
The gay guy I mention is still someone I like hanging out with.
The problem is the abusers, not neutrals like me, fight them, not me.

Instead, you choose to abuse me. Because that is what you are doing right now. The hypocrisy at its very best. Go on...

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
My point is it will be celebrated beyond all comprehension. I probably should have worded it better.
Take Xfactor for example - an average male singer goes to his audition dressed as a barbie doll in high heels and the narrative given to us public is that he is amazing and so on and the props he receives far outweigh his talent. If he had sung to the same standard dressed normally then he probably wouldn't get any plaudits at all.
Kids at home see this and it influences their future. they feel they can get by with minimal talent by being ''different''
What nonsense:lol:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I agree, however racism is still a massive problem in football despite the fact that every team has black players and every club has black supporters. How much more difficult must it be to clamp down on homophobia when players are not able to come out as gay? Ironically it's also an environment where grown men kiss and hug one another in public, in celebration!
It's still a problem (and likely always will be to some degree) but due to the punishment's now a lot of people think twice before spouting off. Saying anything racist (even in the heat of the moment as Terry found out) will not only receive you serious reprimands both professionally and legally but set a stigma against your name for life, something that has scared a lot of bigots into keeping their views firmly to themselves. Homophobia will never 100% go away but i feel the footballing bodies could be doing a lot more to stem the bleeding.

The strange thing is though whenever the subject of homophobia is brought up on forums everyone is unanimously in support of LGBT in football, so it seems it would be more a terrace/football firm issue for a player should they come out.