General discussion thread

Hanks

Mexican brand of humour.

:D

Mexicans have been one of the funniest fans in Russia. This one really caught my mind...not to mention all those walking around with "Я ищу девушку" written on their back on Nikolskaya a couple of weeks ago.

Jacko21

Why aren't penalties being ordered retaken because of illegal movement from keepers?
Wondered this too. Particularly as Collina has been the one to say that a yellow card and a re-take should be awarded.

Seldom gets enforced.

ManUtd1999

This WC’s final will be the first major final (WC, Euro, Copa, UCL) since 2013 without either Ronaldo or Messi.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Hard to spot in real time, probably.
I think that's the goal line ref's job. You know, the guys who never do anything, no matter what happens. Talk about a "Bullshit Job".

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I think that's the goal line ref's job. You know, the guys who never do anything, no matter what happens. Talk about a "Bullshit Job".
From what I saw in the later games, the goal line ref watches the keeper but not the penalty taker. Seems like it would be difficult to call that.

But let's talk about Fellaini absolutely owning Neymar most of the evening. :eek:

marlowe78

All I can say is that I'm so glad the World Cup happened this summer. After the way United's season ended, I was just embittered towards football in general, I didn't even want to see or talk about it. I missed the first day of games and I happened to visit family who had it on during the second day and I haven't stopped watching since. This has been so unpredictable and it's great seeing United players like Lukaku and Pogba doing so well on the world stage.

I think France will win but it would be no surprise for me to see any of the other teams, especially Belgium.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
a bit old but: Four refs + a VAR room of 3 refs should probably be able to spot it
A bit late in responding as well, but I'm quite certain that this was not in scope for VAR. I really think that letting keepers move prior to the ball being struck has made it impossible for officials to make a call here. their eyes can't bee in two places at once at the distances involved. They would need significant trianing on how to coordinate in order to clamp down on it in the less than obvious cases.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Trevor Noah responds to the French Ambassador's letter:

Surely this is a case of it absolutely being up to the individual players involved? You can't force an identity on someone. If some of them do feel French and African and want to celebrate that, then of course that's absolutely fair enough. However, from the comments that emerged from a number of French players as a result of comments congratulting an African victory, it seems many or most really don't want this connection. Benjamin Mendy commented back on a post listing the origins of a bunch of French players and replied with all their names next to the French flag instead.

The players were born and developed in France, it's French football that should be congratulated. The players seem to feel the same way and I can understand why they just want to celebrate a victory for their country.

Charles Miller

I saw the videos. I have no idea what Noah was trying to accomplish there attacking the French for no reason then pretending be offended like a spoiled teen, but he has failed miserably. Is not funny. Just stupid.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I saw the videos. I have no idea what Noah was trying to accomplish there attacking the French for no reason then pretending be offended like a spoiled teen, but he has failed miserably. Is not funny. Just stupid.
He hosts an American show catering to an American audience and French bashing is an easy way for him to fit in as a foreigner and earn easy popularity points, no matter if he looks like a cnut or a racist to the rest of the world.