General discussion thread

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Anyone else disappointed by the lack of variety with kit colours?

Everybody seems to either play in red or white. Even Portugal who used to be burgundy now play in red.

I don’t care how boring I am, this is a huge issue and it’s ruining the tournament for me.
Not specifically colours but there aren't many generally nice looking kits.

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
Not specifically colours but there aren't many generally nice looking kits.
All very plain aren’t they?

Not a fan of the very popular Nigeria shirt but at least it’s different.

ManUtd1999

I love this World Cup so far. It's been progressing the best of the 2000s in my opinion (maybe on par with 2002). Caught this from the internet:

In the 2 days of World Cup we've already seen a country with a population of 330,000 draw to Argentina, Ronaldo score 3 against 2010's winners, Iran win their first game since 1998, two 90th minute winners & Messi have a penalty saved by a part time film director. Unreal.
The underdog teams are doing overall well, and the top teams will need to play hard to make it. That’s good to see.

However, for the most part, the quality of football is not that great. So far, 26 goals in 12 games. 11 of those goals were scored in two matches (Russia-SA and Spain-Portugal). And so only 15 in the other 10 matches.

Teams are typically cautious in the first game, but I always expect a bit more of what we saw so far.

Bobski

I don't think the overall standard of football has been that impressive. It has been competitive and there have been some decent stories but a lot of mediocre football being played. Hopefully that improves as the competition moves on.

Nikhil

The trumpets at the stadium sound God awful on telly. They are ruining the atmosphere. A band in one section of the ground with drums and maybe just one good trumpet player would be alright. But to have 8000 fans with those wretched things is terrible. The atmosphere in 2010 was pathetic as well because of them vuvuzelas.

Bobski

Perhaps I am being harsh, and employing confirmation bias, but I have been disappointed by the top level at this tournament. A rather mediocre standard of football being played,. There have been some cracking goals but the general play has been so patchy. I think only Spain for 20/25 mins in the second half against Portugal really hit a high level.

It has been watchable because it has been competitive, the floor level may be higher, but I had hoped for more from some of these big names. France looking 4 years away.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
I, too, feel incredibly underwhelmed by the ‘top’ nations thus far. I still believe Belgium have looked the most impressive and that they have absolutely nothing to fear from any of the others.

Also, after a good first round, this World Cup is hanging on the precipice of sinking to WC2010 levels of boredom. The number of ‘top’ teams content with 1-0 leads is astounding.

diarm

If someone had told me before the tournament that half way through the group stage, the best performing teams by a distance were going to be Mexico, Russia and Croatia I'd have had a decent chuckle.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Still I'm really enjoying this World Cup. No violence or much contreversy - just great atmosphere all around. Some good matches although the standard hasn't been that great. But we've still the knockouts to go where all the real drama begins. Can't fecking wait.

RoyH1

The context around the WC matches has been excellent. Troublefree stadiums and big enthusiastic crowds. Other than the friggin' horns all else is good in that regard.

My biggest beef with this HC has been the atrocious finishing exhibited by 80% of the teams. Just dire. So few goals from open play. Teams are coming out soo nervous. So scared to lose. I wonder how much of it is individual players under pressure from social media that just magnifies everything tenfold.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
It is group stage though, so very little pathos. It is true we have no flashy teams, but weren’t such squads deemed naive at the end of the day? I am pretty sure real drama will ensue in the knockout stage, many fiercely contested games going to ET and penalties... we could have SFs played by knackered teams and all.

DRM

Why are all the fans mixed? I don't think this is helping with the atmospheres, which bar the odd game have been disappointing

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
How many teams are in the next World Cup? 40?

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
We should have a separate discussion just for VAR.
It’s been great the few times I’ve seen it used. The purists against it can feck themselves. Takes very little time too (less than a fake injury).
Would like to see it used to discipline divers/fakers too, even if retroactively.

SharpshooterTom

A lot of people are writing Argentina off, but I've seen this movie before.

Everyone was laughing the ass off at France in 2006 in the group stages, 0-0 against Switzerland, 1-1 against South Korea. They had to beat Togo and they nearly didn't win that game. They were a complete joke. Domenech had lost the dressing room.

Spain were swashbuckling 9 points from the group. They were outstanding best team in the tournament.

They played each other in the knockouts, and of course who went through...

You keep giving big players too many chances and you'll pay, Argentina may eventually get it right yet. They've got world class match winners in that team. The result against Croatia may force him to make changes, probably sticking in Dybala next time, which might work.

drab.

Are there statistics available for the amount of time the ball has been in play on a game by game basis?

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
I, too, feel incredibly underwhelmed by the ‘top’ nations thus far. I still believe Belgium have looked the most impressive and that they have absolutely nothing to fear from any of the others.
Still the most impressive side so far. I’ll be amazed if they don’t reach at least the semi-finals.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
I'm so pleased there aren't any England thugs tearing up the place. I suspect in the past this has had an impact on the atmosphere in the England team. It can't be good for the team knowing their fans are causing trouble. It's just embarrassing.

It appears since Marseille, when they got a pasting from the Russian Ultras, the England thugs have lost their bottle and haven't showed up. They may well be afraid of the Russian police who won't be messing about. I'm pretty sure the Police would nip any trouble in the bud. Instead of turning up in their 10s of thousands there are currently only 3000 fans there. The fans who have turned up are probably real fans who have no intention of causing any trouble. These fans have nothing to fear, unlike the missing thousands who haven't bothered to turn up.

Hanks

I'm so pleased there aren't any England thugs tearing up the place. I suspect in the past this has had an impact on the atmosphere in the England team. It can't be good for the team knowing their fans are causing trouble. It's just embarrassing.

It appears since Marseille, when they got a pasting from the Russian Ultras, the England thugs have lost their bottle and haven't showed up. They may well be afraid of the Russian police who won't be messing about. I'm pretty sure the Police would nip any trouble in the bud. Instead of turning up in their 10s of thousands there are currently only 3000 fans there. The fans who have turned up are probably real fans who have no intention of causing any trouble. These fans have nothing to fear, unlike the missing thousands who haven't bothered to turn up.
That's a great point. I was surprised how few English fans I saw in the last 2 weeks in Russia. I swear I saw more Saudi fans than English fans. The media really did a number on them, fearmongering. But to be honest, I'm glad at least now some of the press are admitting they were wrong. Sky with this piece today: Maybe now that England fans see they aren't gonna be returning home bruised up and in coffins, more of them will make the journey there for the knock-outs? Provided they can get tickets, of course.

The World Cup is peaceful - where is everyone?
By Enda Brady, Sky correspondent in Nizhny Novgorod

https://news.sky.com/story/the-world-cup-is-peaceful-where-is-everyone-11416105

There was a moment late on Friday night when my heart sank.

We were seconds away from broadcasting live from Lenin Square in Nizhny Novgorod ahead of England's World Cup match here, when two burly guys in their 20s approached us, drunk on life and heading home.

But what happened next amazed me.

They stood still and silent, behind the camera and listened to what I was saying on live TV.

They didn't jump on me, they didn't abuse me.

When the report ended they gave a thumbs up gesture and walked away smiling.

Welcome to Russia.

So much for the ultras and hooligans that certain sections of the UK tabloid press have been obsessing over for the last two years in the run up to this tournament.

On any street in the UK, that scenario would have ended badly.

I've lost count of how often this has happened to me.

A colleague texted yesterday urging me to "stay safe out there".

You want the truth? I feel safer here than I do in London.

Yes there is a police presence. Yes the security is tight. Yes you are being observed.

But everyone here is fully aware of the ridiculous scare stories that grew wings and flew to the skies before even a ball had been kicked.

And the Russians are going out of their way to welcome the world.

Maybe there are ultras and hooligans, but the authorities are doing a very good job of hiding them.

In fact, the only terrible behaviour we have encountered has been from the sum total of three England "fans" who decided they should sing anti-Semitic songs in Volgograd and give Nazi salutes.

The only "hassle" (if I can even call it that) has come from online trolls back in the UK.

Maybe they need to get off their keyboards and put down their tabloid of choice.

I'm at a World Cup. They're not. Block and move on.

Bobski

Belgium and England are playing well(possibly against 2 of the worst teams in the competition) but the rest have been pretty awful, the contenders that is. Standard is not improving, so much poor football being played, still been fun in the way that watching lower league football can be fun certainly doesn't feel as if we are watching the best in the world at their craft.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Apparently 33 million pints of beer were drunk in England during the Panama game. Great news for the economy but not so good for Monday morning.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Why are refs always warning defenders not to grapple attackers before set-plays? Just give the pen if they do it. You don't see refs reminding players of other rules during the game.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Why are refs always warning defenders not to grapple attackers before set-plays? Just give the pen if they do it. You don't see refs reminding players of other rules during the game.
I even saw one ref warning a defender he was in an offside position before a free kick was taken. It just slows the game down.

Nikhil

Some of the big European teams have been awful the past couple of years. Italy, Netherlands and Germany this tournament. The WC needs these teams there.

They need to bed new players. It will take time but the talent is clearly there in the clubs.

99withaflake

Some of the big European teams have been awful the past couple of years. Italy, Netherlands and Germany this tournament. The WC needs these teams there.
I disagree. It's still been a very good World Cup without them, and now there are tons of fans from "lesser" nations who are ridiculously excited about going deep into the tournament.