Other Geoguessr

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Ah so you was using other tabs to search and narrow it down? I thought you had to work it out from the image and the map by itself
Wait, you cheating bastards are using other tabs to search for stuff to help you?
I'm not really sure what's the correct way to play this, but yeah. Both are quite fun in a different way. I'd assume that you won't have that luxury if you're running against the clock though.

nimic

something nice
Scout
https://www.geoguessr.com/challenge/8WVUO8kLwk7x2pKJ

Here's a no moving challenge in Urban Worlds if anyone wants a go. It will show my score after you finish.

I nearly got the first one spot on. fecked up 2 and 3 and then decent again for the 4th and 5th.
feck's sake.

I was sure the last one was Taiwan, so I was looking through all the 7-Elevens in Taipei. I'm not entirely sure how Olly even found it, that cheating bastard. You had to zoom real far in on the map to spot the hotel name

Ruined the run, though I am quite happy with the first guess, 7 meters off. The second one was not a good spot, since it was basically impossible to be sure of which country you were in. I thought Greece/Bulgaria/Romania. The Denmark one I am not happy with, since I went to the exact address on the sign, and it turned out to be a different place.

Edit: Anyone who used anything other than what was on the screen and the map is a dirty cheater and is no longer my friend.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
feck's sake.

I was sure the last one was Taiwan, so I was looking through all the 7-Elevens in Taipei. I'm not entirely sure how Olly even found it, that cheating bastard. You had to zoom real far in on the map to spot the hotel name

Ruined the run, though I am quite happy with the first guess, 7 meters off. The second one was not a good spot, since it was basically impossible to be sure of which country you were in. I thought Greece/Bulgaria/Romania. The Denmark one I am not happy with, since I went to the exact address on the sign, and it turned out to be a different place.

Edit: Anyone who used anything other than what was on the screen and the map is a dirty cheater and is no longer my friend.
I think you might need glasses if you need to zoom in to see the name of the hotel

And all the writing is Japanese ;)

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
The Spain (not Latin America) and Canada (not England) decisions looking the same to me doesn’t bode well for my prospects given the distances. Not sure I would’ve done much better even if I had cheated. :lol:

The Macedonian one I just mailed in...didn’t have a clue.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I think you might need glasses if you need to zoom in to see the name of the hotel

And all the writing is Japanese ;)
On the map, you dingus. I was looking for a 7-Eleven/R&B-Hotel combo, but once I saw the result I realized that besides being in the wrong country, I would also have to zoom waaaay in to even see the hotel on the map.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I should have realized it was Japan, and I would have if I had just looked at the writing on the 7-Eleven. I was hyper focused on the kanji on the street signs, so I just assumed it was Chinese.

nimic

something nice
Scout
The Spain (not Latin America) and Canada (not England) decisions looking the same to me doesn’t bode well for my prospects given the distances. Not sure I would’ve done much better even if I had cheated. :lol:

The Macedonian one I just mailed in...didn’t have a clue.
The Spanish one had both an EU flag and a Spanish flag, though I couldn't figure out where exactly we were. The Canada one looked American, and had French signs - and a shop sign said Ottawa (though I had to squint real hard to make it out). The second I had no clue either, it was a wild "southern-Europe-y" guess.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
On the map, you dingus. I was looking for a 7-Eleven/R&B-Hotel combo, but once I saw the result I realized that besides being in the wrong country, I would also have to zoom waaaay in to even see the hotel on the map.
:lol: Oh right, yeah fair enough there then.

Going into detective mode is more fun and makes it more of a game IMO, otherwise too many of them would just be random guesses.

A good clue for the Macedonian one was zooming in on the manhole cover on the floor. I guessed Greece because of the letters as they're similar/the same looking, but that got me close enough.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I haven't played GeoGuessr in a while, but I am more partial to regular maybe 3-5 minute rounds, with moving. I usually don't have the patience to spend a long time finding the exact spot, though I made an exception for the Canada guess, once I convinced myself the sign did say Ottawa, and the street-sign did say O'Conor street.

Anyway, it's a bad time to get back into GeoGuessr, since my 1-year premium just expired (which I hadn't used for a while).

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I haven't played GeoGuessr in a while, but I am more partial to regular maybe 3-5 minute rounds, with moving. I usually don't have the patience to spend a long time finding the exact spot, though I made an exception for the Canada guess, once I convinced myself the sign did say Ottawa, and the street-sign did say O'Conor street.

Anyway, it's a bad time to get back into GeoGuessr, since my 1-year premium just expired (which I hadn't used for a while).
I think I liked the no movement thing, being able to move just gets annoying for me because I go the wrong way which has no clues for about 277283 miles.

Dante

Average bang
:lol: Oh right, yeah fair enough there then.

Going into detective mode is more fun and makes it more of a game IMO, otherwise too many of them would just be random guesses.

A good clue for the Macedonian one was zooming in on the manhole cover on the floor. I guessed Greece because of the letters as they're similar/the same looking, but that got me close enough.
I did the same but guessed Bulgaria.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
This is fun. I spent a lot of time on (something like?) this some years ago with my wife. Got over 21k points on @Solius's challenge, but I also used other tabs. Makes it more fun for me.

Funny to see that the first one was in my city. I've walked there! (Not that I remembered that location at all though.)

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
This is fun. I spent a lot of time on (something like?) this some years ago with my wife. Got over 21k points on @Solius's challenge, but I also used other tabs. Makes it more fun for me.

Funny to see that the first one was in my city. I've walked there! (Not that I remembered that location at all though.)
I feel like I always notice the Shoppers first :lol: always Canada

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I’ll post another challenge today.

I think no moving and no googling things is the best way, it keeps it all balanced and everyone has the same thing to work with. Obviously can’t police it but do say if you have done that. I don’t like moving as then you can go around for ages until you fins what you need. It’s too easy.

harms

Staff
The Spanish one had both an EU flag and a Spanish flag, though I couldn't figure out where exactly we were. The Canada one looked American, and had French signs - and a shop sign said Ottawa (though I had to squint real hard to make it out). The second I had no clue either, it was a wild "southern-Europe-y" guess.
Yeah, the something-somethingottawa.com was a dead giveaway :lol:

harms

Staff
I’ll post another challenge today.

I think no moving and no googling things is the best way, it keeps it all balanced and everyone has the same thing to work with. Obviously can’t police it but do say if you have done that. I don’t like moving as then you can go around for ages until you fins what you need. It’s too easy.
Fair enough, let's do it!

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Yeah got shouldn't be allowed to leave the game tab. Fair enough if you're dedicated/bored enough to zoom in to see details like shop names on the game map, like one header on this thread appears to have done.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
My results:

There's a pretty big giveaway in Round 1 :lol: Can work out where you are from there.

Round 2 I thought they had purple bins in Liverpool so went for there.

Round 3 I looked at the classic cars and went for Cuba

Round 4 I saw Policija and for some reason went Italy because it definitely sounds more Croatian.

Round 5 was a mess :lol: I saw the sun directly above and thought it meant I was around the equator.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
First time I've tried this and it's pretty fun. Currently in the lead, although likely to get beaten I imagine.

1 - Bloody hell :lol:
2 - Could be anywhere in that region but wouldn't have thought there based on sunlight.
3 - Felt like it could have been anywhere on that continent.
4 - Worst one. Random guess.
5 - Just assumed based on the quality of land and type of cars.

Last edited:

BD

Ah now, using the sun as a clue is another level altogether.

How did ye get anyone close at all for #4?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Yeah if the sun is in the south you're in the northern hemisphere and vice-versa. I got lucky with 4 as I went for Italy and it just happened to be close to the answer in terms of the actual country.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Only me and @harshad got the perfect 5000 on Round 1. Surprised more didn't get it as close as possible.

BD

Yeah if the sun is in the south you're in the northern hemisphere and vice-versa. I got lucky with 4 as I went for Italy and it just happened to be close to the answer in terms of the actual country.
Very fancy

Only me and @harshad got the perfect 5000 on Round 1. Surprised more didn't get it as close as possible.
It was pure laziness that stopped me from joining your exclusive club.

Dan

The police car gave me an idea it could be eastern european

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Got very lucky there all guesswork I admit I used Google on the first one then saw there was no point in playing that way.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Got very lucky there all guesswork I admit I used Google on the first one then saw there was no point in playing that way.
Of all the ones to need google! You can see the Colosseum at the end of the street, and there's a street sign as well. Then you can use the Indian restaurant to pinpoint exactly where on the street you are.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I do like this. Just tried a Battle Royale and lost first go but hit every country around the right one.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
The police car gave me an idea it could be eastern european
This. The specific spelling used makes it easy to guess which region it might be in. After that it was a matter of luck as to how close your guess was.

Really hate seeing Spanish/Portuguese words to identify the location from. One could easily end up in a wrong continent all together

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Deserve to be thrown to the lions for this.

This. The specific spelling used makes it easy to guess which region it might be in. After that it was a matter of luck as to how close your guess was.

Really hate seeing Spanish/Portuguese words to identify the location from. One could easily end up in a wrong continent all together
This is the beauty though. If you cast an eye towards the relative poverty of the street and motor vehicles on display it makes it obvious it's not in a civilized continent. Heck, I can almost feel the breeze of wind as the bullet just misses me.