Geopolitics

Spoony

The People's President
Yeah but suddenly the tedious wolves don't get the invite to the pack trips to the pub.

Ah to be honest, the pack annoy me, I only like people in theory. :)
I love people but I also love my space. I'm not pack animal either.

Spoony

The People's President
Come visit, i have space, and a new puppy.
I actually stayed quite close to Tallaght last year(friends..). Your countryside is lush, now this sounds daft it's a darker green than ours. Looks great even in the mist.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I actually stayed quite close to Tallaght last year(friends..). Your countryside is lush, now this sounds daft it's a darker green than ours. Looks great even in the mist.
The countryside around Dublin is green alright, Im on the western seaboard now, not quite as lush.

Hope Tallaght was kind to you.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The last posts feel like watching The Bachelor. :nervous:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Turkey’s apparent attempt to revert to the guiding principles of its foreign policy of the 2000s seems quite noteworthy:

Whether driven by economic woes, Russian aggression, recent changes in regional leadership, or whatever, hopefully it may facilitate progress on the Kurdish question.
But this was going on a bit longer already, right? Or at least, I remember reading an analysis in my Dutch newspaper a few months ago about how Turkey is turning its foreign policy around. Their reading of the situation was that Turkey's attempts from the pas few years to be bullish and intimidating effectively alienated everyone from them and isolated them globally. That's not helpful for a country that sees itself as a (potential) local superpower (if that's not a contradiction in terms), and of course potentially dangerous in a volatile world; so they're going back to being friends with everyone.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
But this was going on a bit longer already, right? Or at least, I remember reading an analysis in my Dutch newspaper a few months ago about how Turkey is turning its foreign policy around. Their reading of the situation was that Turkey's attempts from the pas few years to be bullish and intimidating effectively alienated everyone from them and isolated them globally. That's not helpful for a country that sees itself as a (potential) local superpower (if that's not a contradiction in terms), and of course potentially dangerous in a volatile world; so they're going back to being friends with everyone.
Yes I think that’s basically correct. I think a few regional developments - Karabakh war, demise of Netanyahu, etc. - have probably helped move things along.

Having said that, I think “friends with everyone” / “zero problems with neighbors” is an unattainable goal in Turkey’s position.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Well, those Turkish drones are surely becoming popular so perhaps Turkey is eyeing a bigger export market.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
:)

But yes, pretty much, I'm anti imperialist lefty from a post colonial country so it's close to me.

I read somewhere the other day that fear is stronger than empathy and that might explain the reaction to Ukraine.

I don't know if I'm more empathic or just principled or some crazy ideologue. I don't know but I have a more consistent level of interest and awareness and empathy than the media and therefore a lot of people I know.

I am sure that without a doubt I have a much more consistent attitude to citizens arming themselves against invasion oppression and imperialism. I have principles that apply, and whether they are wrong or right, they are consistent.

As you can imagine, I get invited to fewer and fewer dinner parties.
With Ukraine it’s pretty black & white, an agressor invading their neighbor without any justification. The troubles in Palestine & Israel are far far more complex and far less black & white. Even within Israel and Palestine there are a lot of fractions and differences. Nevertheless, naturally I would expect somebody of Arabic ethnicity or a Muslim to spend more attention on the issue of Palestine than Ukraine. As I would an European to spend more attention on a war that’s happening within Europe. To start calling out people for being selective is just ridiculous. Are we going to criticize the West for reacting to the invasion of Ukraine just because the Palestinian issue doesn’t get enough attention? That’s a flawed attitude if you ask me.
If we are going to criticize the West then I would be more inclined to mention the invasion in Iraq, which was immoral and basically a flag up operation based on the lie that Saddam had weapons of mass destruction (just as Putin is doing with Ukraine). The West sort of lost the moral highground on that one.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Yes I think that’s basically correct. I think a few regional developments - Karabakh war, demise of Netanyahu, etc. - have probably helped move things along.

Having said that, I think “friends with everyone” / “zero problems with neighbors” is an unattainable goal in Turkey’s position.
Yeah, I'm simplifying it a bit of course.

Spoony

The People's President

I thought Erdogen was positioning himself to become leader of the next Caliphate.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
With Ukraine it’s pretty black & white, an agressor invading their neighbor without any justification. The troubles in Palestine & Israel are far far more complex and far less black & white. Even within Israel and Palestine there are a lot of fractions and differences. Nevertheless, naturally I would expect somebody of Arabic ethnicity or a Muslim to spend more attention on the issue of Palestine than Ukraine. As I would an European to spend more attention on a war that’s happening within Europe. To start calling out people for being selective is just ridiculous. Are we going to criticize the West for reacting to the invasion of Ukraine just because the Palestinian issue doesn’t get enough attention? That’s a flawed attitude if you ask me.
If we are going to criticize the West then I would be more inclined to mention the invasion in Iraq, which was immoral and basically a flag up operation based on the lie that Saddam had weapons of mass destruction (just as Putin is doing with Ukraine). The West sort of lost the moral highground on that one.
I don't think the use of the word selective is aimed at people really, just institutions.

And I don't think the reaction to Ukraine is at all questionable, that's not the point. It's a good reaction to this sort of aggression.

And I pretty much fully agree with you in the main.

2cents

Scout
I thought Erdogen was positioning himself to become leader of the next Caliphate.
Tough gig right now, think he may have accepted it’s beyond him for the time being.

2cents

Scout
Why's that?
I’d say his instinctive ambitions have exposed some limitations Turkey faces as a regional power over the last decade. These would be economic - the lira seems to lurch from crisis to crisis under his mismanagement; demographic, as a massive chunk of Turkish society has little interest ideologically-speaking in Turkey as an “Islamic” power; and especially political.

At home the AK Party has suffered a reverse in fortunes in recent elections. Regionally, involvement in Syria early on carried blowback in the form of a PKK entity on the southern border and ISIS attacks at home, along with a massive refugee crisis to deal with; hostility to Israel encouraged an anti-Turkish alliance in the Eastern Med which threatened Ankara’s energy policy; support for regional Muslim Brotherhood affiliates drove antagonism with the Saudis, UAE and Egypt. And by extension, these latter two issues created problems with Washington. The plus side of the balance sheet - closer relations with Iran, Qatar, and Russia - really hasn’t been worth the trouble, especially since Ankara has found itself in opposition to Moscow in Libya and to Tehran in the Karabakh conflict (and to a certain degree to both of them in Syria).

Last edited:

Rams

I would guess that the economic situation in the country, combined with Russia’s ever increasing presence in the Black Sea combined and the experience of dealing with Russia in Syria has made Erdogan realize that he’s been backing the wrong horse the last 10 years?

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Sad times that this needs its own thread apparently. I have been listening to Mearsheimer since beginning of the conflict, really interesting. I like how he describes his view of the world as 19th century and it shouldn't be lost that in 2014 when he talked about the Ukraine conflict then his predictions about how things would play out over the next years was quite remarkably accurate. Maybe a '19th century lens' is the best one to take when it comes to understanding and assessing geopolitics. I would take US as the global hegemon over say Russia or China all day long personally. That being said the idea of liberal democracy in the US and UK particularly is completely oversold with our two party no choice, first past the post system and a bought up media actively engaged in the engineering of social attitudes towards the aims of an elite class.

Guess this lands me in the whataboutery camp. Maybe someone can compile an analyser that assigns posts a morality score and then at the end of the day posters can be cheered or booed as per their score and we can make the process smoother and more amenable.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
I would take US as the global hegemon over say Russia or China all day long personally. That being said the idea of liberal democracy in the US and UK particularly is completely oversold with our two party no choice, first past the post system and a bought up media actively engaged in the engineering of social attitudes towards the aims of an elite class.
Agree on each point (might argue that liberal democracy is imperfect for the reasons given above, but it isn't imperfect from the perspective of those who have brought it to this state, with Citizens United and various other laws being very much intentional, so from the perspective of that class, these traits are ideal, not imperfect).

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.

John Mearsheimer is a Political Scientist and international relations scholar.
His talk takes up to 45 minutes. The rest is Q & A.

This recording was done Feb 15th 2022. The invasion happened 9 days later.

It totally debunks the propaganda we have heard from cable news media.

Rams

Sad times that this needs its own thread apparently. I have been listening to Mearsheimer since beginning of the conflict, really interesting. I like how he describes his view of the world as 19th century and it shouldn't be lost that in 2014 when he talked about the Ukraine conflict then his predictions about how things would play out over the next years was quite remarkably accurate. Maybe a '19th century lens' is the best one to take when it comes to understanding and assessing geopolitics. I would take US as the global hegemon over say Russia or China all day long personally. That being said the idea of liberal democracy in the US and UK particularly is completely oversold with our two party no choice, first past the post system and a bought up media actively engaged in the engineering of social attitudes towards the aims of an elite class.

Guess this lands me in the whataboutery camp. Maybe someone can compile an analyser that assigns posts a morality score and then at the end of the day posters can be cheered or booed as per their score and we can make the process smoother and more amenable.
You’re being a tad cynical.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

There's nothing debunked in any of this.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.

Care to summarise for those of us tuned to the propaganda channel.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
The problem China has is that the country itself is made up of many different regions & cultures, Xi the communist party are scared of losing power and seeing the country break up. This is far more of a concern than being the World’s sole superpower. Their interest is far more in being the World’s economic superpower. The oppression is to keep the communist party in power and stop the breakup of China. A completely different perspective from Pootin. At least that’s how I see it.
I agree. They remember history well. Domestic social harmony is their primary objective.

Rams

This is certainly in line with how it’s being reported in the Netherlands & UK. I don’t think think Ukraine was joining NATO any time soon but the fact their government was looking to join the EU and NATO was more than enough reason for the Russians to invade Ukraine. Still doesn’t excuse invading a foreign sovereign country, the Russians should be asking themselves why Ukraine was looking to the West rather than Russia.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
This is certainly in line with how it’s being reported in the Netherlands & UK. I don’t think think Ukraine was joining NATO any time soon but the fact their government was looking to join the EU and NATO was more than enough reason for the Russians to invade Ukraine. Still doesn’t excuse invading a foreign sovereign country, the Russians should be asking themselves why Ukraine was looking to the West rather than Russia.
Spot the contradiction

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Care to summarise for those of us tuned to the propaganda channel.
Mearsheimer is a decrepit old man who's so wedded to his simplistic theory of international security that he can't acknowledge basic facts about the whole situation. I think @Raoul posted an interview Isaac Chotiner did with him for the New Yorker where he looks incredibly stupid. He insists that Russia's invasion of Ukraine is "geopolitics!!!" and not imperialism. He also insists that Russia won't invade all of Ukraine, despite the fact that it is doing just that.

The Russians have been all over Mearsheimer's nuts because his view of realism posits that Russia should be guaranteed its sphere of influence, regardless of what the people around Russia believe. People in the Baltics, Ukraine, Poland, Belarus? Yeah, their freedom and sovereignty don't matter because they should be in Russia's sphere of influence.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Mearsheimer is a decrepit old man who's so wedded to his simplistic theory of international security that he can't acknowledge basic facts about the whole situation. I think @Raoul posted an interview Isaac Chotiner did with him for the New Yorker where he looks incredibly stupid. He insists that Russia's invasion of Ukraine is "geopolitics!!!" and not imperialism. He also insists that Russia won't invade all of Ukraine, despite the fact that it is doing just that.

The Russians have been all over Mearsheimer's nuts because his view of realism posits that Russia should be guaranteed its sphere of influence, regardless of what the people around Russia believe. People in the Baltics, Ukraine, Poland, Belarus? Yeah, their freedom and sovereignty don't matter because they should be in Russia's sphere of influence.
For people who reject geopolitics, what motivated Russia to invade Ukraine? How do you all understand it? Putin woke up one day and went insane?

Certain points in that Mearsheimer argument that are absolutely overlooked by the media (the fact of western involvement in the Maidan coup, being one, and the de facto "natofication" of Western Ukraine being another).

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
keep telling yourself that.
Are you actually going to make a point in here or just keep looking from your high horse. Honestly, you deserve a thread ban for wumming because you are not even trying to explain your position.