George Floyd | Chauvin guilty on all counts | Sentenced to 22.5 years

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
a lot of these experts are complete chancers

on the innocence project on Netflix there was this bite-mark expert who helped send a bunch of guys down for murder

in one of the cases, he was adamant some guy made the bite-mark and he was sent down for years off the back of it

when someone else confessed to the crime and said he didn't even bite the girl, they looked at the case again and turns out it was made by a crayfish after he dumped the body in a river
Wasn't some expert in the OJ trial also quite shady?

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Those defense witnesses ought to be ashamed of themselves. How they can have any type of credibility after this is beyond me. You gotta hand it to Nelson though for trying his best. Using all types of medical hypotheses to indicate cause of death whilst at the same time ignoring the blatant fact that the guy had a knee on his neck for nearly 10minutes takes some balls, I'll give him that.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Those defense witnesses ought to be ashamed of themselves. How they can have any type of credibility after this is beyond me. You gotta hand it to Nelson though for trying his best. Using all types of medical hypotheses to indicate cause of death whilst at the same time ignoring the blatant fact that the guy had a knee on his neck for nearly 10minutes takes some balls, I'll give him that.
There are a lot of other things I would rather give him.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
OMG State prosecution already tearing the defense witness a new one within 5 minutes. :lol:

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
What’s the gist?
I was only able to watch a few minutes, but what I saw was the DA forcing the bastard to essentially admit he lied under oath when he said a prominant researcher retracted his research on the prone position causing asphyxia. He read off an affidavit where the prof, in response to police publications claiming the same, explicitly said he did not retract it. It was gloriously uncomfortable and the DA poorly his his glee. :lol:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I was only able to watch a few minutes, but what I saw was the DA forcing the bastard to essentially admit he lied under oath when he said a prominant researcher retracted his research on the prone position causing asphyxia. He read off an affidavit where the prof, in response to police publications claiming the same, explicitly said he did not retract it. It was gloriously uncomfortable and the DA poorly his his glee. :lol:
Can’t wait for the clips to start showing on YT.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
They're just being exposed for the third-rate hacks that they are? State are just toying with them at will.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Well that's it...the defense rests after 2 days of crap evidence and dodgy witnesses. Chauvin actually speaks today. Closing arguments due on Monday

Day 14

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Hopefully that disaster witness yesterday was the nail in the coffin for Chauvin.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Wow, newly discovered carbon monoxide #'s are available that blows one of the bs defense arguments out of the water and the defense is scrambling to keep it out.
Hate to say it, but I think I agree with the ruling. The prosecution has had plenty of time to discover this evidence & have had it entered.

That said, if the #s completely refutes what the defense is saying, that should matter.

Torn a bit here.

MarylandMUFan

Hate to say it, but I think I agree with the ruling. The prosecution has had plenty of time to discover this evidence & have had it entered.

That said, if the #s completely refutes what the defense is saying, that should matter.

Torn a bit here.
It sounds like they will introduce oxygen numbers that will help dispute the claim that it was carbon monoxide so it should not hurt the case.

DanH

As a non-sciencey person I didn't get how he could have 98% saturation and still have died of asphyxiation? I'm sure it would have been pounced on immediately if it had been a thing, but what is the science behind it? Low oxygen levels but high saturation?

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
As a non-sciencey person I didn't get how he could have 98% saturation and still have died of asphyxiation? I'm sure it would have been pounced on immediately if it had been a thing, but what is the science behind it? Low oxygen levels but high saturation?
You don't need high levels of CO for it to become dangerous. What happens is that CO binds stronger to haemoglobin than oxygen. This means that if there is both a CO molecule and an oxygen molecule present the CO molecule is much more likely to bind to the haemoglobin effectively blocking that particular haemoglobin from carrying oxygen. I don't think you need more than a few hundreds ppm CO for it to become an issue, if memory serves.

DanH

You don't need high levels of CO for it to become dangerous. What happens is that CO binds stronger to haemoglobin than oxygen. This means that if there is both a CO molecule and an oxygen molecule present the CO molecule is much more likely to bind to the haemoglobin effectively blocking that particular haemoglobin from carrying oxygen. I don't think you need more than a few hundreds ppm CO for it to become an issue, if memory serves.
Thank you. It was more that I'd have expected someone's oxygen level to be lower than 98% saturation if someone died of asphyxia? They were talking about that being a normal level of saturation - I thought it would be low as your body ran out of oxygen. I don't know the processes though.

Anustart89

How was the saturation measured? Pulse oximeter or arterial blood sample?

A pulse oximeter will give a falsely high reading in the presence of carbon monoxide in the blood due to its colour (bright red). The pulse oximeter measures the saturation by measuring the wavelength (colour) of the blood passing between two diodes, basically. Therefore, if you have a significant amount of CO-Hb and an arterial oxygen saturation of 70% then the pulse oximeter might indicate 100% saturation anyway.

As an aside, Methaemoglobin has a colour which gives a reading of approximately 85% using a pulse oximeter, so if you have an oxygen saturation of 60% that might give you a falsely high reading in the presence of Methaemoglobinemia, and a falsely low reading if your actual oxygen saturation is 100%.

Last edited:

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
I'm completely agreement with the majority view on redcafe that this is cold blooded murder. Unfortunately right wing forums with pro-police (and probably racist) views I visit have been making a case that there is reasonable doubt on the cause of death. If one of those types is on the jury Chauvin could walk free because they need every person to convict.

The Firestarter

How was the saturation measured? Pulse oximeter or arterial blood sample?

A pulse oximeter will give a falsely high reading in the presence of carbon monoxide in the blood due to its colour (bright red). The pulse oximeter measures the saturation by measuring the wavelength (colour) of the blood passing between two diodes, basically. Therefore, if you have a significant amount of CO-Hb and an arterial oxygen saturation of 70% then the pulse oximeter might indicate 100% saturation anyway.

As an aside, Methaemoglobin has a colour which gives a reading of approximately 85% using a pulse oximeter, so if you have an oxygen saturation of 60% that might give you a falsely high reading in the presence of Methaemoglobinemia, and a falsely low reading if your actual oxygen saturation is 100%.
I doubt it was measured by a pulse oximeter due to the lack of pulse ?

Anustart89

I doubt it was measured by a pulse oximeter due to the lack of pulse ?
I’m unsure as to the context that it was measured in but it’s either a pulse oximeter, which can be used on a finger even in the absence of a radial pulse (albeit potentially misleading) or an arterial blood sample.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
what the what is going on?

She apparently made some comments about there being trouble if there’s not a guilty verdict and the defence are saying that because the jury hasn’t been sequestered they will be aware of the comments and it constitutes a mistrial.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
She apparently made some comments about there being trouble if there’s not a guilty verdict and the defence are saying that because the jury hasn’t been sequestered they will be aware of the comments and it constitutes a mistrial.
But uhm.....people have been talking about their being trouble based on the verdict for ages now. Haven't they been boarding up the areas around the courthouse? Wouldn't the jury see that too? I mean, she is daft for saying it, but its not like she was saying anything new or unique.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
But uhm.....people have been talking about their being trouble based on the verdict for ages now. Haven't they been boarding up the areas around the courthouse? Wouldn't the jury see that too? I mean, she is daft for saying it, but its not like she was saying anything new or unique.
I’m just repeating what I heard the defence attorney saying on CNN, but it does seem stupid for a house member to make comments like that the day before closing arguments.