George Floyd | Chauvin guilty on all counts | Sentenced to 22.5 years

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Breonna Taylor's killers are still free, there are so many families who haven't & won't receive justice.
The list of names continues to grow by the week. This isn't over.
One of them just got a fecking book deal.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Not really, she's good at her job and dealt with it well, just a bit odd.

Reminds me of when I found out the OJ verdict over the tannoy (PA in the US?) at Busch Gardens, strange out of context.

Whatever the method though, I was damn glad to hear it.
Tampa?

What was the crown response?

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I know if anything was likely going to send my city into flames it would have been Donnie’s antics due to his visit, but I still breathed a sigh of relief today.

bleedred

I felt sad. Justice is necessary, and so is the solemnity in the proceedings. But there's no joy in the overall fact that an innocent person is dead and the guilty person is going to jail, I'd much rather neither of those things had to happen.
Agreed. I got so many notifications for my post and expected a backlash, but it's reassuring to see that I am not alone in feeling empathy for both.

Superunknown

The thing that gets me with this case is the amount of footage available. It's honestly mindboggling and just so damning. What's clear is that if this was 20 or 30 years ago, he'd get away with it. When you see the actual incident on camera, it's...just surreal.

This outcome was inevitable. I never once thought for a second that he was anything but guilty.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I feel a bit conflicted about this. On one hand it definitely feels like justice - on the other hand I hope the celebration from one side quickly make way for an approach between the two sides because the last thing we need is a police that will see this an excuse to become more radical within their ranks as a way to show disapproval. Use this as a position of strength to seriously sit at the table and make it clear that neither side truly wins when the divide is the victor as opposed to where they agree. I got the sense a majority of officers thought what Chauvin was wrong - but also that he didnt stand a chance at a fair trial. While that's probably not true - I do see where they may get those feelings. Don't give them a reason to strengthen their beliefs in union and department protection - rather make them feel that good cops are great cops and that if they do their jobs the right way they ll be protected.

Sorry for the rambling post - hope it's clear what I'm trying to say.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I've not been following this trial very closely, but from what I've seen I was expecting him to get off as I didn't think the prosecution would convince the jury unanimously that Chauvin's actions constituted murder. I was expecting him to maybe cop a lesser charge (I'm not sure whether or not that was even on the table to be honest) but I'm pleasantly surprised he's been done for murder.

This can't go on and it's time for change, and though it's terrible lives including those of George Floyd and others have been lost in the struggle, hopefully this is a moment we can look back on with positivity.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I feel a bit conflicted about this. On one hand it definitely feels like justice - on the other hand I hope the celebration from one side quickly make way for an approach between the two sides because the last thing we need is a police that will see this an excuse to become more radical within their ranks as a way to show disapproval. Use this as a position of strength to seriously sit at the table and make it clear that neither side truly wins when the divide is the victor as opposed to where they agree. I got the sense a majority of officers thought what Chauvin was wrong - but also that he didnt stand a chance at a fair trial. While that's probably not true - I do see where they may get those feelings. Don't give them a reason to strengthen their beliefs in union and department protection - rather make them feel that good cops are great cops and that if they do their jobs the right way they ll be protected.

Look, I get your sentiment but at the end of the day, it is simple: don't commit acts of brutality on citizens and respect for police will follow naturally.

Caius

This is just the start, justice for George Floyd's family for sure, but it needs to be a turning point, don't make this the exception - hold all these murdering thugs to account in every occasion.
Police departments need to be demilitarized and defunded with a corresponding increase in funding for social services. Police officers also need to be much more highly trained - anyone who has the power to instantly ruin someone's life had better be qualified. Qualified immunity has to go too - I researched police misconduct in jails and so many cases died before they could even start, regardless of the facts, because the officers couldn't be held liable. So many of these suggestions are just obvious fixes too and would make things better for everyone, very frustrating that a lot of people are apparently perfectly happy to shoot themselves in the foot in order to feck over black people and other minorities. Tbf I suppose that demographic is probably the most likely to shoot themselves in the foot in general.
One of them just got a fecking book deal.
Gross.
S & S has denied the author & the subsidiary their distribution network thankfully. That could nix it.
Good.

Caius

Look, I get your sentiment but at the end of the day, it is simple: don't commit acts of brutality on citizens and respect for police will follow naturally.
Indeed, any cop who watched the George Floyd video and thinks Chauvin would have been found not guilty if only he had a fair trial is completely full of it and probably past the point of outreach.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

You’re baked, aren’t you? Teasing.

I think the cops’ views are reflective of how a very small shift towards further police accountability is affecting them.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
This verdict wasn’t due to a shift in legal structure.

It was due to a proliferation of cameras.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Didn't necessarily expect it, so it's a relief. I still see no reason for any kind of joy or greater optimism, things are just a bit less shit than they could be.

Drainy

Reaction from the deplorables?
Gone from thinking he was going to walk to it not being a fair trial. That said, we should hope that the defence doesn't have evidence of the jury seeing comments from public figures about it or there would be a risk to the verdict.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Serious question...

What exactly is Crump’s role as family attorney in this trial?
Not sure specifically, but his future revenue is trending very positively.

Such is the life of a high profile attorney, regardless the flavor.

Hamnat

Serious question...

What exactly is Crump’s role as family attorney in this trial?
In the trial probably nothing official other than helping the prosecution and working on behalf of the family there. But he negotiated the 27 million dollar settlement the family got.