George Floyd | Chauvin guilty on all counts | Sentenced to 22.5 years

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Look, I get your sentiment but at the end of the day, it is simple: don't commit acts of brutality on citizens and respect for police will follow naturally.
Yeah but if the good ones are discouraged from speaking out for fear of being forced out etc and in the meantime the bad ones have to do something as much as killing someone to not get off easy then it's clear this trial really hasn't solved the underlying issue.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
If anyone wants to see a great speech, go watch what Jesse Jackson delivered during the 1988 Democratic Convention.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Yeah but if the good ones are discouraged from speaking out for fear of being forced out etc and in the meantime the bad ones have to do something as much as killing someone to not get off easy then it's clear this trial really hasn't solved the underlying issue.
Of course this trial isn’t going to solve anything. No stand alone event ever will.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Biden called the family. Can anyone imagine Trump having done so? And if he had, he'd surely make it about himself somehow, someway.
"I was the first one who said he shouldn't have knelt on his neck. If you go back 40 years, I was saying black lives matter first"

Tarrou

I've woken up to so much great news this morning, my wee brain can't handle it

best news day for years this

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

Go back to sleep, your dreams are apparently magical.

Can you dream me being rich and with a full head of hair?

Abizzz

Same here!

Actually smiling reading the news this morning, that hasn't happend in a long time (even if this is more relief than anything really).

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
15 y/o AA female shot & killed by Columbus, OH police within an hour of the verdict being read.

Seems like normal service has resumed.

Sandyman

Incredible news! A part of me always expected him to be let off so feels great - hopefully a step forward to actual change as well.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
I'm surprised they ended up guilty on the murder charge, I was always expecting them to only go with the manslaughter guilty verdict. I'm sure this whole thing is far from over, even after sentencing, they are going to appeal the verdict, which will manage to put the whole thing on tender hooks again.

Based on this verdict, I'd be very interested to see what they try and convict the other police of. Those three must be feeling very very worried right about now.

I'd also hazard a guess that this verdict will make no real change to police accountability. This was the furthest thing from grey, with a video of them clearly holding him down long after he passed out. Yet we still had questions on if he would actually be convicted. The bad apples will just make sure they are a little smarter in inserting more grey into their actions.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I'm surprised they ended up guilty on the murder charge, I was always expecting them to only go with the manslaughter guilty verdict. I'm sure this whole thing is far from over, even after sentencing, they are going to appeal the verdict, which will manage to put the whole thing on tender hooks again.

Based on this verdict, I'd be very interested to see what they try and convict the other police of. Those three must be feeling very very worried right about now.

I'd also hazard a guess that this verdict will make no real change to police accountability. This was the furthest thing from grey, with a video of them clearly holding him down long after he passed out. Yet we still had questions on if he would actually be convicted. The bad apples will just make sure they are a little smarter in inserting more grey into their actions.
You gotta wonder if there were many jurors that needed persuading.

Abizzz

Should police have just stood back and let her stab those people she was attacking?
I know nothing about this incident but the fact killing someone and doing nothing are the two possible options is telling of how fecked the entire situation has become. (and I'll be the first to say that's not just the cops fault, but they are part of the problem, we all are)

I used to follow up almost all of these reports years back, and the facts that emerged almost never tallied up with the initial reports. I've stopped doing it, it's too depressing to do it an entire lifetime. I wish I believed in praying for everyone involved.

Ibi Dreams

Should police have just stood back and let her stab those people she was attacking?
I don't want to watch the video, but I think there must be some viable middle ground between "do nothing" and "shoot to death".

Skizzo

I don't want to watch the video, but I think there must be some viable middle ground between "do nothing" and "shoot to death".
She already tried to stab a girl on the ground (before another guy ran up and kicked her in the head) and was actively trying to stab a girl and had her pinned against a car. What middle ground would you suggest?

Skizzo

I know nothing about this incident but the fact killing someone and doing nothing are the two possible options is telling of how fecked the entire situation has become. (and I'll be the first to say that's not just the cops fault, but they are part of the problem, we all are)

I used to follow up almost all of these reports years back, and the facts that emerged almost never tallied up with the initial reports. I've stopped doing it, it's too depressing to do it an entire lifetime. I wish I believed in praying for everyone involved.
Theres plenty of situations we can look at where officers have used force unnecessarily, from deadly all the way on down, but when someone is actively engaged in trying to stab someone what should be done? Not every situation comes down to an officer being unjustified, and the fact that that’s the assumption for absolutely everything that happens doesn’t help with situations where there should be outrage when something isn’t right.

Abizzz

Theres plenty of situations we can look at where officers have used force unnecessarily, from deadly all the way on down, but when someone is actively engaged in trying to stab someone what should be done?
You may be right, and it was justified. Or whatever the official story is right now, is bs, like so many times before, and you're not. Those situations where there should be outrage almost always started with reports telling of situations where there should be none. I'm half inclined to follow this up again (fully knowing that by the time we know the truth to this one there will be 2 dozen new cases with the same old arguments).

Not every situation comes down to an officer being unjustified, and the fact that that’s the assumption for absolutely everything that happens doesn’t help with situations where there should be outrage when something isn’t right.
It doesn't hurt though either. If everything had been taken at face value Chauvin would be still be on the beat right now.

Skizzo

You may be right, and it was justified. Or whatever the official story is right now, is bs, like so many times before, and you're not. Those situations where there should be outrage almost always started with reports telling of situations where there should be none. I'm half inclined to follow this up again (fully knowing that by the time we know the truth to this one there will be 2 dozen new cases with the same old arguments).

It doesn't hurt though either. If everything had been taken at face value Chauvin would be still be on the beat right now.
No one should be taken at just face value and the first story released shouldn’t be believed. That’s my point. Not that officers always deserve the benefit of the doubt, but that judgement on anyone shouldn’t be passed until the story is fully out or the full videos have been released. Protesting every single incident does more damage than what it helps. By all means police brutality, systemic racism, etc should be fought against and ended, but when you’re protesting police brutality or commenting on race and trying to make a point out of it by showing every single use of force, especially when it’s justified, it doesn’t help.

The story could develop and I may be shown that the officer was in the wrong, and if that’s the case then I’ll denounce their actions too, just like i have before. Im glad there were videos of Floyd to stop any change of wiggle room, most officers don’t have an issue with body cameras being worn or people filming. And it helps with both sides, those that are trying to get justice against the unjustified uses of force, and those that are doing their job legitimately and being accused wrongly.

Abizzz

The story could develop and I may be shown that the officer was in the wrong, and if that’s the case then I’ll denounce their actions too, just like i have before. Im glad there were videos of Floyd to stop any change of wiggle room, most officers don’t have an issue with body cameras being worn or people filming. And it helps with both sides, those that are trying to get justice against the unjustified uses of force, and those that are doing their job legitimately and being accused wrongly.
I agree with all of that. The more the public (and the D.A, jurors, judges etc.) know the better for everyone.

Skizzo

I agree with all of that. The more the public (and the D.A, jurors, judges etc.) know the better for everyone.
I know I come at this from a different side than most here, but an officer is put in a a position where he sees a teenager about to stab someone. No one on scene listens to anything he says, even with his gun out a girl gets kicked in the head, and then he has to make a decision to shoot or let someone get stabbed. Now he has to live with the fact he shot and killed a teenager, and even if it’s justified he’s still been demonized for it from the get go without any information.

bucky

I honestly don't know how you can up with this as an idea. Let alone go through with it and post it on the internet.