German Football 20/21

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Schalke have found their new head coach relatively quickly.

Unfortunately, I've never heard of him. Can someone tell me a bit more about his managerial profile? All I know is that he managed Darmstadt last season.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Unfortunately, I've never heard of him. Can someone tell me a bit more about his managerial profile? All I know is that he managed Darmstadt last season.
I don't think anyone really knows, I mean who watches Darmstadt? But he's done a lot of youth coaching, which is usually a good sign (especially considering Schalke will probably have to fill up their squad with a lot of youngsters) and he seems to have left Darmstadt on his own terms, finishing fifth when they are currently 14th without him.

Are Gladbach trying to punish Rose with his wardrobe?

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Oh man, Reus just skied an attempted volley after he was gifted the ball in tons of space by a Mönchengladbach defender. Why he didn't take a first touch to settle the ball down is something he'd only know.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Regarding Rose and his conflict of interest, it just occurred to me that there might be another aspect to this constellation, which is best described with the slightly antiquated word "pikant":

As far as I understand, BVB can hire Rose by paying 5m €, which is the release fee he has in his contract this summer?
Now, if he were to be fired before the season is over, I take it BVB don't have to pay Gladbach anything? 5m € more to use on the transfer market?
And inversely, Eberl would lose money by firing Rose, an incentive to keep him on even after it might not be feasible or sportingly advantageous any longer?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Regarding Rose and his conflict of interest, it just occurred to me that there might be another aspect to this constellation, which is best described with the slightly antiquated word "pikant":

As far as I understand, BVB can hire Rose by paying 5m €, which is the release fee he has in his contract this summer?
Now, if he were to be fired before the season is over, I take it BVB don't have to pay Gladbach anything? 5m € more to use on the transfer market?
And inversely, Eberl would lose money by firing Rose, an incentive to keep him on even after it might not be feasible or sportingly advantageous any longer?
Club's can't just void contracts. When a coach gets "fired" he is put on gardening leave. Unless Rose has a clause that allows him to terminate if he's not in charge of the first team replacing him shouldn't change anything.

Anduin

Oh man, Reus just skied an attempted volley after he was gifted the ball in tons of space by a Mönchengladbach defender. Why he didn't take a first touch to settle the ball down is something he'd only know.
Because he's been shit for weeks and Terzic doesn't have the balls to finally drop him.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Club's can't just void contracts. When a coach gets fired he is put on gardening leave. Unless Rose has a clause that allows him to terminate if he's not in charge of the first team replacing him shouldn't change anything.
So how does that work exactly, if they fire him (or rather "entbinden ihn von seinen Aufgaben"), his contract situation would be the same as if the firing didn't happen, if he wants to take on a new job?
I wonder whether labour courts see it that way, clubs effectively fire a coach yet prevent him from taking another job (normally of course they'd have no need to protest as it would probably cut short compensation pay).
Sounds like a potential topic of legal controversy to me.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
This game is a shit show. Even Haaland is missing chances and the ref doesn't seem in charge at all.

So how does that work exactly, if they fire him (or rather "entbinden ihn von seinen Aufgaben"), his contract situation would be the same as if the firing didn't happen, if he wants to take on a new job?
I wonder whether labour courts see it that way, clubs effectively fire a coach yet prevent him from taking another job (normally of course they'd have no need to protest as it would probably cut short compensation pay).
Sounds like a potential topic of legal controversy to me.
Yeah. Unless they reach a divorce settlement the coach keeps getting paid. When they want to take a new job it's usually not a problem, because clubs are more than happy to get them off their payroll.

I could see labour law becoming an issue if Gladbach try to mess with rose after "sacking" him, but I'm no lawyer, so I have no idea how this would play out. And on what timetable: like if Rose needs three months to get his ruling he's fecked either way. In the end this won't happen anyway. Dortmund won't mess with their coaching position to save what's essentially a (very) large chunk of pocket change and Gladbach won't ruin their reputation either.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Didn't look like offside to me in real time, but correct decision. Good attacking move nevertheless, for once.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Everything about this game is shit. From Bommes, to Schweinsteiger confusing two black players, to having to pick between Bartels and Fuss, to Guerreiro getting injured, to neither team being able to keep the ball for more than 10 seconds, to the ref having no control of the game and probably getting himself in a place where either something very nasty will happen in the second half or he will hand out yellow cards like candy.

I'd say Gladbach are the better team and deserve to be leading, but then Haaland missed an MLS style penalty.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich

He is the future ex-Schalke manager. Do we have to learn his name?

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Yeah. Unless they reach a divorce settlement the coach keeps getting paid. When they want to take a new job it's usually not a problem, because clubs are more than happy to get them off their payroll.

I could see labour law becoming an issue if Gladbach try to mess with rose after "sacking" him, but I'm no lawyer, so I have no idea how this would play out. And on what timetable: like if Rose needs three months to get his ruling he's fecked either way. In the end this won't happen anyway. Dortmund won't mess with their coaching position to save what's essentially a (very) large chunk of pocket change and Gladbach won't ruin their reputation either.
Exactly, that's why is interesting.
Usually it's in the former club's interest to get a sacked coach off the payroll, in this case it could become imaginable they would want to keep him on even to the degree to be able to claim a release clause, which of course sounds absurd.
But even then, there would be adivorce settlement, as you say, something like, they forfeit the release fee if Rose forfeits his compensation. Bottom line still, it's financially detrimental for Gladbach to sack him; if he stays onand the clause is triggered they straightforwardly collect 5m €.
And as for reputation, 5m € is a hell of a lot of money for Mönchengladbach.

But I'm asking because I don't really know how this stuff works.
There was the case with Tuchel at Mainz, but I think he decided to leave a season before his contract ended, he wasn't sacked. And then Mainz tried to block him from taking over another club during that remaining contract time, understandably.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Exactly, that's why is interesting.
Usually it's in the former club's interest to get a sacked coach off the payroll, in this case it could become imaginable they would want to keep him on even to the degree to be able to claim a release clause, which of course sounds absurd.
But even then, there would be adivorce settlement, as you say, something like, they forfeit the release fee if Rose forfeits his compensation. Bottom line still, it's financially detrimental for Gladbach to sack him; if he stays onand the clause is triggered they straightforwardly collect 5m €.
And as for reputation, 5m € is a hell of a lot of money for Mönchengladbach.

But I'm asking because I don't really know how this stuff works.
I don't even think €5m are on the table, unless Rose can terminate. Everyone is committed to this now. At worst Dortmund would offer a million or two less if he was relieved of his duties, but you don't announce a new coach to later put the whole thing into question, because you want to bullshit Gladbach out of the fee. And what are €5m anyway if your current coach has you dropping like a stone in the table?

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I don't even think €5m are on the table, unless Rose can terminate. Everyone is committed to this now. At worst Dortmund would offer a million or two less if he was relieved of his duties, but you don't announce a new coach to later put the whole thing into question, because you want to bullshit Gladbach out of the fee. And what are €5m anyway if your current coach has you dropping like a stone in the table?
The 5m is the release fee that's contractually determined, isn't it? For that fee BVB can (and are going to) hire Rose anyway, I'm just speculating that by getting fired, Rose might save BVB some of that money, or by sacking him, Eberl might lose some of that money.
Yes, in comparison to missing out on EL or CL money, it might not be too much of a factor. Just saying, it seems like another intricacy to the constellation.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The 5m is the release fee that's contractually determined, isn't it? For that fee BVB can (and are going to) hire Rose anyway, I'm just speculating that by getting fired, Rose might save BVB some of that money, or by sacking him, Eberl might lose some of that money.
Yes, in comparison to missing out on EL or CL money, it might not be too much of a factor. Just saying, it seems like another intricacy to the constellation.
Yeah. I was going from the point of view that Dortmund would be like "he's of no use to you anymore, so let's haggle". It's all a bit of a moot point without knowing the legalities.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
As many issues as Reus has this season. That was a perfectly weighted through ball with the first touch. Would have had another assist if the other goal didn't get (rightfully) VAR'd.
He's in a weird spot, where he's situationally either a huge asset or a considerable problem to the team.

It's kinda hilarious hearing the two benches getting into it, when everyone knows they will be colleagues next season.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
As many issues as Reus has this season. That was a perfectly weighted through ball with the first touch. Would have had another assist if the other goal didn't get (rightfully) VAR'd.
He's in a weird spot, where he's situationally either a huge asset or a considerable problem to the team.

It's kinda hilarious hearing the two benches getting into it, when everyone knows they will be colleagues next season.
My heart was in my mouth when I saw that pass, I thought it was just underhit but turned out to be perfectly weighted.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
ARD interviewer claiming BVB's victory to be a 'triumph of the will' :nervous:

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern

He has my vote for worst goatee ever

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München

My brain constantly makes me see 'Grammarnazi' whenever i scroll past his name without really reading it.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Watching today's game makes you wonder how RWE actually beat Leverkusen. Ridiculous penalty though.

Last edited:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Watching today's game makes you wonder how RWE actually beat Leverkusen. Ridiculous penalty though.
We got 25 shots on target, hit every post on the pitch once, Hradecky had a horrible day and the "green" was literally in the worst condition I've ever seen. Even if didn't play our best football, we go through 9 out of 10 times in this game. Essen was very good considering their league but Kiel played much better against Bayern than RWE did against us although we're obviously a way worse team than Munich.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
We got 25 shots on target, hit every post on the pitch once, Hradecky had a horrible day and the "green" was literally in the worst condition I've ever seen. Even if didn't play our best football, we go through 9 out of 10 times in this game. Essen was very good considering their league but Kiel played much better against Bayern than RWE did against us although we're obviously a way worse team than Munich.
The question was more rhetorical. :angel:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Leverkusen lucky not to concede a penalty there. One of the more interesting 0-0s. Clever yellow card from Amiri :lol:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Tough task for BVB today.

Also, no Sancho. Always look forward to watching him play.
Bayern are in better form, Dortmund still aren't a 100% cohesive and balanced team
Bayern are always at their best against Dortmund, especially at home they have won all the recent matches - and with Leipzig pulling ahead of them for the moment they have even less reason for complacency
Dortmund had a taxing midweek fixture and Bayern didn't
Dortmund have two of their three most important players missing and Akanji at the back.

On paper this is pretty clear cut. With Guerreiro and Sancho absent Terzic has opted for what is essentially Dortmund's best pressing setup and therein lies their only hope: that they can stay resilient defensively while pouncing on mistakes from Bayern.