German Football 21/22 | Gladbach sign Farke

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
That was a fun game, and with a bit more luck on Dortmund's end, it would have been really tense up to the end.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Oh well.. an entertaining game, but it showed that Dortmund aren't used to a midfield diamond and that they played with their second string. Passlack in particular got exposed badly. Bayern will probably be a different beast later into the season as well.
One positive, Reus looks back to his best! Continuing on his form from the end of last season.

Dahoud also dominated the midfield in the second half for me.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Oh well.. an entertaining game, but it showed that Dortmund aren't used to a midfield diamond and that they played with their second string. Passlack in particular got exposed badly. Bayern will probably be a different beast later into the season as well.
With the sort of full/wing backs that they have, I struggle to see Dortmund continuing to be successful with a back 4, though Rose did do a decent job with a similar set of defenders for Gladbach. For that to be possible, he'll need to hope that Witsel can remain fit for the whole season. Delaney would be good, too, but Rose doesn't seem to favour him.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Lewandowski is giving much more post match interviews lately, isn't he? Can't remember him doing many for Bayern in earlier years.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
I think that's Nagelsmann's first win with Bayern Munich, right? Let's see if this is the start of a good spell for Bayern, now.
Yeah but the media made more out of our bad pre season than necessary. Of 4 games we played 3,5 games with an under 18 team plus Upamecano and Nianzou.

And the first game was in Gladbach which is never easy.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
With the sort of full/wing backs that they have, I struggle to see Dortmund continuing to be successful with a back 4, though Rose did do a decent job with a similar set of defenders for Gladbach. For that to be possible, he'll need to hope that Witsel can remain fit for the whole season. Delaney would be good, too, but Rose doesn't seem to favour him.
Schulz has actually been surprisingly good thus far, the diamond takes away some build up responsibilities and accentuates his athleticism. The same could be true for Meunier, but last season his floor was so low, he might struggle in any formation. In any case he seems more suited to a back four than wing back duties.

Delaney is a bit of a liability in build up, that makes it hard to find arguments for him to start ahead of Dahoud or Bellingham regularly.

Nick7

One positive, Reus looks back to his best! Continuing on his form from the end of last season.

Dahoud also dominated the midfield in the second half for me.
I only caught the tail end of the first half but thought Dahoud was very poor. Really grew into it in the second and was impressive

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Schulz has actually been surprisingly good thus far, the diamond takes away some build up responsibilities and accentuates his athleticism. The same could be true for Meunier, but last season his floor was so low, he might struggle in any formation. In any case he seems more suited to a back four than wing back duties.
Guerreiro will take over for Schulz, surely?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Malen looked a bit cack. Though Bayern were rather dominant while he was on the pitch. Hope he manages to settle in, but he looked lost.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
That's good to know. I've always found Schulz to be a decent player and was wondering when he'd step up in Dortmund. He could have performed better in this match, but he wasn't terrible, necessarily.

On the diamond, I really like how it gets the best out of Dahoud. He seems to be thriving in this setup and is finally showing what he's all about. I wonder if he'll eventually be in contention for the German national team with these performances.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
It seems to be the sole opinion you have, endlessly repeated to the detriment of the thread.
He's just trying to get "revenge" because German fans didn't hopped on his Sancho train last season. I mean, there're hardly any German fans who would say the league is competitive anyway. Bit cringeworthy but just let him.have his fun.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Malen looked a bit cack. Though Bayern were rather dominant while he was on the pitch. Hope he manages to settle in, but he looked lost.
They should've sign Madueke. He looks absolute class and would be amazing down the right for them. Though, it could be said that they are looking for Reyna to fill the RW position and needed someone on the left.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Guerreiro will take over for Schulz, surely?
Thus far Rose doesn't really use a left attacker, so the left flank is wide open for runs from deep. Schulz has the athleticism to make these runs all game, Guerreiro not so much. So if Schulz can gain some form and confidence I wouldn't be surprised to see him get significant minutes. Maybe Guerreiro will be moved to midfield, he'd be perfect for the LCM in a diamond.

On the diamond, I really like how it gets the best out of Dahoud. He seems to be thriving in this setup and is finally showing what he's all about. I wonder if he'll eventually be in contention for the German national team with these performances.
Dahoud already had his break through moment under Terzic, in the CL against Sevilla. He's more or less been bossing it ever since.

Last edited:

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Dahoud already had his break through moment under Terzic, in the CL against Sevilla. He's more or less been bossing it ever since.
Definitely. I just think that this setup will help him get to the next level and really start controlling the midfield. I'm happy to see him play so well given how exciting he was when he was coming up in Gladbach.

Daniel_de_Foe

Supports
Member of the BLPA
It has been a fine game for Dortmund.

1. It clearly shows that they can hurt Bayern. If Upamecano get more involved Bayern might be better on the defense, but I think it has more to do with a system that can punish Bayern's highline and less with their individual players.

2. Dortmund cannot not win with this defense. It's the second time they play together and already against the best team in the league. Schulz and Witsel did an alright job. Korbel also not bad. Akanji had too much responsibility. He is no Hummels, who can dictate the game all on his own. Passlack is really a third tier player.

But a thing I like a lot in this Dortmund team. You can feel the excitement and momentum. It's is the first time since Tuchel I get this feeling Dortmund is growing every time I see them play. I am really excited about this season.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Promotion might not be likely after all for them, but Werder and Schalke are having a nail-biting competition to determine which club is more broke:

According to SportBild Werder have now taken the lead by cutting their cook's budget by €50k and having their players and staff pay €200 per month for food. They have also cut ticket contingents for players, spending on materials from their sponsor Umbro and instead of gathering at a hotel (which as far as I know everyone does) players will now stay at home before games in Bremen (with the exception of evening kickoff games, where players will use "day rooms" whatever that is). Traveling by plane will become an exception..

Last edited:

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I was lucky enough to get two tickets for yesterdays game and I have to admit that I did not realize how much I missed having this experience semi regularily. The atmosphere was elictrifying. Part of it was the opponent, part of it was the quality of the game that simply flew by, but a large portion of it was the stadium itself.

The Westfalenstadium will never win beauty contests, but that thing was built to make noise. The acustic in there is incredible as sound travels really well there. With the kind of energy the support brought yesterday, you would never guess that it was only at a third capacity unless you saw the empty seats.

As for the game itself: While it is natural to always want to win, especially if a (albeit less important) title is on the line, this is the kind of loss you can live with and draw positives from. With this kind of makeshift defense it was always going to be tough if Bayern managed to bring their quality on the pitch and yesterday was probably the first time Bayern actually clicked properly with Nagelsmanns ideas.

It was still a game that felt like it could have tipped back and forth in one direction any moment (I think the final result was one goal difference too much in favour of Bayern) and there was an urgency in Dortmunds play that was really refreshing. I was never a big critic of Favre as I think he did a lot of good for the squad after he took it over in a pretty poor shape, but I just think that this kind of power football with more readiness to take risks just suits a club like Dortmund more.

So far I´m very pleased with what Rose is building at the moment and I think he is in terms of personality also a great fit for the club.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
It has been a fine game for Dortmund.

1. It clearly shows that they can hurt Bayern. If Upamecano get more involved Bayern might be better on the defense, but I think it has more to do with a system that can punish Bayern's highline and less with their individual players.

2. Dortmund cannot not win with this defense. It's the second time they play together and already against the best team in the league. Schulz and Witsel did an alright job. Korbel also not bad. Akanji had too much responsibility. He is no Hummels, who can dictate the game all on his own. Passlack is really a third tier player.

But a thing I like a lot in this Dortmund team. You can feel the excitement and momentum. It's is the first time since Tuchel I get this feeling Dortmund is growing every time I see them play. I am really excited about this season.
Clarify a bit mate. Seems you are praising them but also criticising them so hard to decipher your intent. I thought they were a little poor personally last night and will be hard when you go up against better teams especially with the quick transitions to attack.

Daniel_de_Foe

Supports
Member of the BLPA
Clarify a bit mate. Seems you are praising them but also criticising them so hard to decipher your intent. I thought they were a little poor personally last night and will be hard when you go up against better teams especially with the quick transitions to attack.
I am praising their system but criticising the individual defensive players. Dortmund missed six defensive players. Two of these players in Guerrero and Hummels are extremely important for the build-up. Especially Hummels. So even if the defence might be poor, it had more to do with individual errors. Without the horrible backline they could easily draw the game.

Last season Dortmund lost against a lot of teams from the lower half of the table. One might think that Dortmund has problems against deep sitting teams. I really don`t think that`s the case. The team with the deepest defence in the BL is Freiburg and they always lose against Dortmund. I think the BVB mostly struggled against opponents that can vary midfield- and attack pressing and play a very intensive football. Augsburg or Mainz for example. Dortmund struggles if they lose the Ball in the midfield when they build-up
Also it has to do with the goalkeeping. I have always been a friend of Bürki, I loved his modest attitude, and he could be unbeatable on his day. But all in all, he has been a liability. Under pressure he gets nervous, and that inflicts the whole team. Kobel feels far more reliable.

That`s why I am optimistic. They were typical games and typical situations in wich Dortmund lost against lesser teams. I hope with Rose they will be able to avoid these situations.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I am praising their system but criticising the individual defensive players. Dortmund missed six defensive players. Two of these players in Guerrero and Hummels are extremely important for the build-up. Especially Hummels. So even if the defence might be poor, it had more to do with individual errors. Without the horrible backline they could easily draw the game.

Last season Dortmund lost against a lot of teams from the lower half of the table. One might think that Dortmund has problems against deep sitting teams. I really don`t think that`s the case. The team with the deepest defence in the BL is Freiburg and they always lose against Dortmund. I think the BVB mostly struggled against opponents that can vary midfield- and attack pressing and play a very intensive football. Augsburg or Mainz for example. Dortmund struggles if they lose the Ball in the midfield when they build-up
Also it has to do with the goalkeeping. I have always been a friend of Bürki, I loved his modest attitude, and he could be unbeatable on his day. But all in all, he has been a liability. Under pressure he gets nervous, and that inflicts the whole team. Kobel feels far more reliable.

That`s why I am optimistic. They were typical games and typical situations in wich Dortmund lost against lesser teams. I hope with Rose they will be able to avoid these situations.
Cheers. Will try to catch some games this season.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
They have also cut ticket contingents for players, spending on materials from their sponsor Umbro and instead of gathering at a hotel (which as far as I know everyone does) players will now stay at home before games in Bremen
What? That is a thing?
Why would you stay in a hotel before a home match in the City you live in? What's the point?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
What? That is a thing?
Why would you stay in a hotel before a home match in the City you live in? What's the point?
Keep the lads away from the ladies and other distractions, make sure no one can be late.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
So apparently Bayern is targeting Neuhaus, Baku and Wirtz for the upcoming transfer periods. Whether or not that is true, it kind of seems as if their transfer strategy under Brazzo is a bit reminiscent of the FC Deutschland times when Hoeneß was on a mission to sign every somewhat decent German international. What do the resident Bayern fans think of that?

Personally, I always thought that Bayern stepped up a level when they broadened their hunting grounds and started signing players like Toni, Ribery, Robben, Thiago, etc. The mix of iconic German players such as Müller, Schweinsteiger, Neuer, Lahm, Boateng etc. and proven world class like Robben, Ribery, Lewandowski, Thiago, etc. was kind of their winning formula.

With Kimmich, Goretzka, Gnabry, Sané, Süle and Musiala already in the team, adding Neuhaus, Baku and Wirtz would probably mean they could line up an almost completely German starting eleven.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
So apparently Bayern is targeting Neuhaus, Baku and Wirtz for the upcoming transfer periods. Whether or not that is true, it kind of seems as if their transfer strategy under Brazzo is a bit reminiscent of the FC Deutschland times when Hoeneß was on a mission to sign every somewhat decent German international. What do the resident Bayern fans think of that?

Personally, I always thought that Bayern stepped up a level when they broadened their hunting grounds and started signing players like Toni, Ribery, Robben, Thiago, etc. The mix of iconic German players such as Müller, Schweinsteiger, Neuer, Lahm, Boateng etc. and proven world class like Robben, Ribery, Lewandowski, Thiago, etc. was kind of their winning formula.

With Kimmich, Goretzka, Gnabry, Sané, Süle and Musiala already in the team, adding Neuhaus, Baku and Wirtz would probably mean they could line up an almost completely German starting eleven.
Upamecano, Roca, Sarr, Costa, Nianzou, Hernandez, Pavard, Cuisance

Where do you get the Team D vibe from? Thus far it's just been Sane and maybe Nübel and if anything it's more like they are building Team F over there.

Bayern are probably monitoring the trio, as a lot of clubs will be, but I doubt that they are set on signing them.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München

Where do you get the Team D vibe from? Thus far it's just been Sane and maybe Nübel and if anything it's more like they are building Team F over there.

Bayern are probably monitoring the trio, as a lot of clubs will be, but I doubt that they are set on signing them.
Neuheus can stay where he is, no Bayern material. Baku, however, seems like a no brainer, even though Stanisic is doing somewhat well. And Wirtz would be awesome for the inevitable Zehner meltdown alone :D

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Maybe I'm wrong but it's just an impression, probably also has to do with the players they're linked with in the media. The rumors regarding Neuhaus and Wirtz have been on for quite some time and with one of them plus Baku, they could field a team consisting of nine German players even without Müller and Neuer. And Pavard and Upamecano were also Bundesliga players - same as Sabitzer, who is now linked to them. It seems to me as if they focus more on the league and nationality again in their scouting profiles, though I've got to admit that I completely forgot about the Hernandez signing somehow.

Neuheus can stay where he is, no Bayern material. Baku, however, seems like a no brainer, even though Stanisic is doing somewhat well. And Wirtz would be awesome for the inevitable Zehner meltdown alone :D
To be honest, I've always thought Wirtz had Bayern written all over him. It kind of feels like the Kroos loan - you know you'll see him in a Bayern shirt one day and made your peace with it ;) Probably has to do with the way he joined us and how he comes across in interviews. Which is fine by the way, he's just a different character to someone rather shy and down to earth like Havertz, but that's not a bad thing.

Think the only way he's not going to Munich is that he's developing so well that he receives offers Bayern can't match in terms of salary. And those would probably have to come from PSG, City, United, Chelsea etc. and they won't need him by 2023 I believe.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Maybe I'm wrong but it's just an impression, probably also has to do with the players they're linked with in the media. The rumors regarding Neuhaus and Wirtz have been on for quite some time and with one of them plus Baku, they could field a team consisting of nine German players even without Müller and Neuer. And Pavard and Upamecano were also Bundesliga players - same as Sabitzer, who is now linked to them. It seems to me as if they focus more on the league and nationality again in their scouting profiles, though I've got to admit that I completely forgot about the Hernandez signing somehow.
Upamecano was cheap, because of his release clauses and Sabitzer is cheap, because his contract is expiring. Every club prefers domestic signings to some degree and when a bargain pops up in your front yard you take it. But that's more or less just opportunism. Even Sane's fee was somewhat cheap. It would be much more indicative of a clear strategy if they signed these players for full price. But in the Brazzo era that probably only applies to Hernandez and maybe Pavard.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern

You could just as well say that signing any more French players would probably mean we could line up an almost completely French starting eleven.

Pavard, Upamecano, Nianzou, Lucas, Tolisso, Cuisance, Coman, Sarr...

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

Just curious, but wasn't that the narrative set by Sport BILD themselves? As others have already pointed out, Bayern Munich have already brought in a bunch of non-Germans/non-Bundesliga players of various skill sets and levels, and they might continue to bring in more (e.g. Justin Che). This, to me, looks like Bayern shortlisting good players in the Bundesliga to strengthen their squad.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

The league loses one of its most entertaining players.

JuliaScalaR

Supports
noone in particular
That's one hell of a strike by Szoboszlai. I'm surprised no one bothered to close him down. It's hardly a secret that he can score from these positions.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
First time ever I think that opposing head coaches in a European first division have both been Americans.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
First time ever I think that opposing head coaches in a European first division have both been Americans.

Opta only mentioned this for Bundesliga, but maybe they just couldn't be bothered to check the bigger picture.

I also read an interview with Pellegrino a few days ago, where it sounds a bit like he sees himself as a citizen of the world (for lack of a better word), rather than one country.
https://global.espn.com/football/vf...-coach-talks-his-rootsmarsch-and-die-schwaben

Last edited:

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
The three managers which have my interest are Adi Hütter, Jesse Marsch, and Urs Fischer.

The game I'm most excited about is Jesse Marsch (RB Leipzig coach) v Pellegrino Matarazzo (Stuttgart coach). Just had a look at the fixture list and this will be played 20th August. Two promising American coaches (no, I'm not American) going head to head. I thoroughly enjoyed the spectacle between Jesse Marsch's Salzburg and Bayern Munich.
To my untrained eye, I think Stuttgart had difficulty containing the movement of Nkunku and Szobalai in narrow positions during the opening 45 minutes. Conversely, Stuttgart were most threatening in wide positions. It was certainly the case that the vast majority of their opportunities came from the left hand side, with one of the most notable examples being around the 17th minute when Sosa was on the receiving end of a pass which took RB Leipzig out the game. However, he had nobody to cross it too, so instead went for a shot from a tight angle. With that being said, the most prominent opportunity from either side came from the right side, where Al Ghaddioui had an opportunity to score the first goal. Fluffed his lines by going with his familiar dominant foot instead of going with his left foot which would've given Stuttgart a 1-0 lead. Its unfortunate that Kalajdžić wasn't in optimal condition health wise as I think he could've posed problems if he was in the starting berth. And as a neutral who doesn't support Stuttgart, I was looking forward to the prospect of seeing Mohamed Sankoh play his trade in the Bundesliga, but I may have to wait till next season to see him in action as he suffered a serious injury days just before the Bundesliga campaign. The away side squandered a number of opportunities on the counter which is where I feel they were missing the exuberance of Tanguy Coulibaly and certainly Wamangituka as his stand in did not offer a constant thread on the right side. Additionally, the robustness and press resistant capabilities of Mangala may have helped Stuttgart deal better with the counter-press of RB Leipzig.

Terrific performance from RB Leipzig. And in all honesty, could've been more. A bright start and they remained steadfast in their convictions. A dream full debut for Szobalai and working under the tutelage of Jesse Marsch who was his manager at his previous club should make acclimatising to the Bundesliga a smoother process. I watched some games of Rb Salzburg primarily to watch Sekou Koita, and with that I was exposed to the coach Marsch, as well as Szobalai. The former has aroused my curiosity. Looking forward to the endeavours of RB Leipzig in the UCL as I don't envisage watching many of their games in the Bundesliga.

Pellegrino Matarazzo stated that last season his side benefitted from the surprise element, and now its his prerogative to find solutions. I wonder what changes he has in mind. Find out on the next episode of Dragon Ball Z

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Schalke conceding early, because they butchered their build up, made me check some stats and I just realized they are actually third from bottom in terms of possession. Do they expect teams will let them counter attack their way to promotion? Or is this just a fleeting image, because they took early leads in most of their games?

@Rasendori I only had the game on in the background so I can't really offer any insights, but Sosa is a terrific crosser if he gets some space and him trying to find Kalajdzic in the box has probably been the dominant pattern in Stuttgart's attacks last season, especially after Silas' injury. Regarding the latter it has also been revealed over the summer that while playing in France he was pressured by his agents into committing identity fraud and his actual name is Silas Katompa Mvumpa. So technically there is no player named Wamangituka anymore.

Referees continue with their dodgy calls, it wasn't this bad last season, was it?

Last edited:

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
Schalke conceding early, because they butchered their build up, made me check some stats and I just realized they are actually third from bottom in terms of possession. Do they expect teams will let them counter attack their way to promotion? Or is this just a fleeting image, because they took early leads in most of their games?
Probably...their possession stats are as follows:

27% against HSV (led from 7th to 53th minute)
37% against Kiel (led from 2nd to 90th minute)
64% against Aue (led from 32nd to 86th minute)

and currently 56% against Regensburg (down since the 9th minute)