g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

German Football 21/22 | Gladbach sign Farke

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
@Rasendori I only had the game on in the background so I can't really offer any insights, but Sosa is a terrific crosser if he gets some space and him trying to find Kalajdzic in the box has probably been the dominant pattern in Stuttgart's attacks last season, especially after Silas' injury. Regarding the latter it has also been revealed over the summer that while playing in France he was pressured by his agents into committing identity fraud and his actual name is Silas Katompa Mvumpa. So technically there is no player named Wamangituka anymore.
What is your take on Dortmund vs Hoffeinheim, and Augsburg vs Leverkusen? As somebody incredibly ignorant to German football, I'd imagine they'd be routine victories for Dortmund, and Leverkusen respectfully. But would love to hear from those who actually know a thing or two about this league.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
What is your take on Dortmund vs Hoffeinheim, and Augsburg vs Leverkusen? As somebody incredibly ignorant to German football, I'd imagine they'd be routine victories for Dortmund, and Leverkusen respectfully. But would love to hear from those who actually know a thing or two about this league.
On paper two convincing victories are the most likely outcome. Dortmund are playing at home and have to atone for losing their last match. While Leverkusen have won 4-0 against Gladbach and Augsburg have done little to suggest any kind of danger yet. But it's still early days, Dortmund still have a lot of important players injured or lacking fitness and Leverkusen are always inconsistent and their last score line flattered them.
I also wouldn't underestimate Hoffenheim, they have a talented squad that usually isn't afraid to attack, which could see them take something from the game, e.g. If Kramaric finds some opportunities or it could end horribly if Dortmund find the space they leave behind.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Better late than never - feast your eyes on some Sülinho :D

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Bremer SV v Bayern 0-5 at HT.

Boy, this is hard to bear, the Sport1 commentators Höhner and Effenberg performing a cringe race to the bottom between their relentless patronizing of Bremen (what memories they'll have!) and their constant obsessive focus on judging Sané's every movement.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Höhner and Effenberg have, for some reason, now resorted to enumerating by name every player that ever flopped at Bayern in the last couple of decades, not even bothering to stop their relentless nonsense to mention the 2-3 goals Bayern have scored in the meantime.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Höhner and Effenberg have, for some reason, now resorted to enumerating by name every player that ever flopped at Bayern in the last couple of decades, not even bothering to stop their relentless nonsense to mention the 2-3 goals Bayern have scored in the meantime.
Right, they are horrible. Every 5 minutes they mention how serious Bayern take this game, they themselves should do that too.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I think this is the highest scoring official match I have personally seen. ^^

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
"Interestingly" or rather worryingly Gladbach and Frankfurt are already in very deep trouble,
Frankfurt face Rode's injury and these rosy news:

While at Gladbach Lainer has broken his ankle andThuram tore some ligaments, that's two players they can't really replace.

With transfers of Zakaria and Thuram seemingly falling through they might also feel some financial pressure.

It's still early days, but that's two out of four designated top four challengers that are beginning to look like they may fall behind early.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
VAR is completely broken in Germany right now. Reus gets absolutely chopped in the box and they don't even look at it. Probably even worse than the two non-decisions for Gladbach against Bayern two weeks ago.
So weird, I don't even know what they're trying to achieve with this new non-intervention logic

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
In the meantime Stefan Posch who brought Dahoud down with a hard tackle in midfield earlier is rolling on the ground holding his face after Haaland did in fact not touch him there...

JuriM

In the meantime Stefan Posch who brought Dahoud down with a hard tackle in midfield earlier is rolling on the ground holding his face after Haaland did in fact not touch him there...
First Bundesliga game I found time to watch this season and Hoffenheim seems like overly aggressive with all the tackles and jumps going on since kick-off.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
VAR is completely broken in Germany right now. Reus gets absolutely chopped in the box and they don't even look at it. Probably even worse than the two non-decisions for Gladbach against Bayern two weeks ago.
So weird, I don't even know what they're trying to achieve with this new non-intervention logic
They increased the threshold for intervention even further as far as I'm aware. I think it was a penalty, but I also think it was not clear enough that VAR definitely had to intervene. And they did look at it, Zwayer held back a throw in to allow the check.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
First Bundesliga game I found time to watch this season and Hoffenheim seems like overly aggressive with all the tackles and jumps going on since kick-off.
They had like 2 yellows of a darker shade in the first 5 minutes and a third by minute 20, but they seem to have settled down a lot since then, or maybe they have just run out of midfielders who can afford another card.

Still, one of the better games I've seen this season. It's nice to see how fluid Dortmund are playing, despite their fitness issues. Even if the final pass or finishing has been off.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Dortmund's defence and the organization of it is so random.
If you have ever seen monchenGladbach under Rose you'd probably understand!!

That's what you get from Rose.

Fair to say Dortmund will be relying on Haaland alot this season.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Fun game to watch, but as a Dortmund fan I would be worried about the continuously bad defense.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Dortmund's defence and the organization of it is so random.
I'm not saying it's going to be impenetrable in the end, but Hummels, the guy who is supposed to lead it, is injured and had to be replaced by Witsel, a 33 year old midfielder, which also means Akanji had to switch sides. Meunier (RB) had Corona and just played his first minutes of the season and Guerreiro (LB) missed the entire pre season and only returned to training just in time to grab some minutes last week.

The second half was disappointingly shaky, but it would be a surprise if everything was already operating smoothly with the new coach, new system and hampered preparation/fitness.

Hoffenheim was quite impressive in the second half.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I'm surprised by more teams aren't after Denis Gieger. He seems really good when I watch him. Young, technically good and a good passer as well, I suppose his injury problems might turn teams off.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
They increased the threshold for intervention even further as far as I'm aware. I think it was a penalty, but I also think it was not clear enough that VAR definitely had to intervene. And they did look at it, Zwayer held back a throw in to allow the check.
By don't even look at it I meant Zwayer (although I'm the opinion that they should have the power to overrule him straight away). Disagree that it wasn't enough, Baumgartner tackles Reus with both legs without touching the ball, it looked like a clumsy coming together but intent or not, he wrecks him and Reuse played the ball first. It's a joke that something like that isn't given.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
By don't even look at it I meant Zwayer (although I'm the opinion that they should have the power to overrule him straight away). Disagree that it wasn't enough, Baumgartner tackles Reus with both legs without touching the ball, it looked like a clumsy coming together but intent or not, he wrecks him and Reuse played the ball first. It's a joke that something like that isn't given.
You mean an onfield review? If VAR doesn't believe it to be a serious missed incident or clear mistake, then I don't think there is a mandate for it. Don't get me wrong, I think it should have been a penalty, but the low intensity of the attempted block (?!) probably gives Zwayer some leeway, which means VAR kept silent. Personally I would be completely fine if they handed out reviews more liberally, but the direction they are taking the system into is that they want less of them. And yesterday's events are still in line with that, even if they were closer to the edge.

What bothers me more is that referees, when faced with successive situations that could go either way, don't apply some sort of balance. Like yesterday the elbow against Witsel could have been either card, the foul against Dahoud soon after could have been either card as well and then the potential penalty was probably the situation leaning most heavily in Dortmund's favour. Yet Zwayer gave Hoffenheim the benefit of the doubt three times in a row on these critical calls. A bit like with Bayern escaping both penalty situations against Gladbach. Each sucecssive time you extend your subjective leeway towards one side should count (a bit) in favour of the other side on the next call.

Last edited:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Another game, another gifted goal for Leverkusen in the opening minutes. Beautifully taken though. Completely outsmarted the keeper :drool:

And how was that not a penalty for Augsburg afterwards? Tah tried so hard to return the favour..

And another beautiful goal by Augsburg. Niederlechner showing his killer instinct.

Last edited:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Quite a lot of goals early on, Leverkusen, Mainz and Freiburg all 2-0 in front.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Augsburg have zero(!) shots on target this season, but two own goals to their name. Peak performance.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Augsburg have zero(!) shots on target this season, but two own goals to their name. Peak performance.
And yet Hertha manages to be last in the table, even behind Augsburg :lol:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Leverkusen concede to Augsburg, how embarassing. Solid Wendell impression from Bakker.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Leverkusen concede to Augsburg, how embarassing. Solid Wendell impression from Bakker.
8/10. If hr wpuld've slipped on a dry pitch, it would've been 10/10

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I wouldn't make the same comparison. Leeds have invested a lot of money, there is some quality in their squad. Cologne on the other hand already had a lackluster squad last season and they lost Wolf (not the biggest performer, but still), Jacobs and most importantly Bornaauw over the summer, while only adding Uth and a couple of low profile players. Without the coaching change people would probably expect them to be the next Bremen/Schalke. Sure, they've looked decent thus far, but one game has been against the Big Disappointment Club and the other against a Bayern side that hasn't really found its rhythm yet. I'll wait a couple of games, to see how other teams adjust to them and whether Modeste's goal scoring form holds up, before I put them above relegation worries.
Another game played, Cologne were extremely unlucky that they missed so many chances, and they won 2-1 against Bochum. And I think the most important detail here is that two goals and one assist came from the bench, so they do not only have a first eleven that works well but indeed have a squad and a coach that knows how to use it. That looks promising for them I think, I believe they should have a calm reason in regard to results (don't expect them to be challenging for anything, but don't expect them to get in danger either) while playing exciting football. There have been worse times to be a Cologne fan.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
It looks like Brazzo's been speaking about Sabitzer before Bayern Munich's match. Has he said anything more than just Bayern currently working on the transfer?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Another game played, Cologne were extremely unlucky that they missed so many chances, and they won 2-1 against Bochum. And I think the most important detail here is that two goals and one assist came from the bench, so they do not only have a first eleven that works well but indeed have a squad and a coach that knows how to use it. That looks promising for them I think, I believe they should have a calm reason in regard to results (don't expect them to be challenging for anything, but don't expect them to get in danger either) while playing exciting football. There have been worse times to be a Cologne fan.
I can only give you the same answer, they have beaten promoted Bochum and the Big Relegation Club. You can only beat what's in front of you and every decent performance makes it more likely that they will really have a care free season of course, but let's see how they cope with midtable teams and their first losses.

Giggs' right foot

Bayern is signing Sabitzer for the same amount as Fulham paid for Alfie Mawson because the lad didn't want to go anywhere else...

Feel sorry for the many world-class fans of any Bundesliga team bar Bayern. The league is dead, the mentality is shot, and loyalty is a word that most of the players forget the meaning of, as soon as Bayern comes calling. It's not even inconceivable that Bayern will hit 15 in a row.

Trezeguet17

Bayern is signing Sabitzer for the same amount as Fulham paid for Alfie Mawson because the lad didn't want to go anywhere else...

Feel sorry for the many world-class fans of any Bundesliga team bar Bayern. The league is dead, the mentality is shot, and loyalty is a word that most of the players forget the meaning of, as soon as Bayern comes calling. It's not even inconceivable that Bayern will hit 15 in a row.
I am waiting for Dortmund or Leipzig Fans to quote you and defend Bayern's transfer business.

I am German but I really couldn't care less about the Bundesliga nowadays. The only thing that could keep the Bundesliga interesting is Haaland but he will be gone next year too.

The Bundesliga is as unattractive right now as it was in the mid 00's and there is no hope right now that this will change anytime soon.
There will always be the odd surprise performing player or team but they will lose those players right after that season or the season after.
It has become an academy league like the dutch or portugese league with slighlty more quality.

Bayern were never able to attract players from the 1A bracket but right now it seems that they are as far away from even getting the 1B or C bracket players as they ever were. Even some Championship teams can do bigger transfers than Bayern right now.
They will challenge for the Champions League for a few more years if they can extend contracts with their key players but i can't see them getting a player like Lewandowski , Robben, Ribery or even the tier 1 german players like Sane or Hummels in the future.

If they keep 50+1 i will predict a really dark future for the Bundesliga but the average german football fan is fine with it anyway as long as it keeps oil money out of their league.

Blackwidow

Wolfsburg wins 1:0 against Leipzig...

Van Bommel and his team have 3 wins and lead the table.