German Football 22/23 | 2. Bundesliga returns | Hamburg vs Schalke 20:30 |

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Gladbach wasn't the only team affected by Covid. It certainly fecked them, but he also kept digging.
But with the collective meltdown around the Rose news the situation was especially bad for them. Dortmund could sell Sancho for a decent fee, had a huge credit line and eventually issued some new shares to the tune of nearly €100m, Leipzig and Leverkusen just called up the marketing division of their parent company, Bayern is Bayern, everyone else got a bit fecked. He had a bunch of players he needed to sell, but at the same time they nuked their own value and every else's budgets got cut. If I remember correctly they actually were about to sell Thuram to Serie A, but then he tore something just before a transfer could happen. I think (arguably) in normal times they would have just been able to extend Ginter and sell Zakaria and maybe Plea/Thuram.

Suffering from a burn-out and messing up big time can go hand in hand. The later can certainly exacerbate the former. Regardless of his mental state, he should have taken responsibility for the state of the club. He did a great job for a long time and got a lot of applause. Take the L and move on. Don't wiggle out of it with a teary pk.
The burn-out doesn't seem to be a problem anymore, why doesn't he go back to his CURRENT employer to do his job? He told us roughly a billion times that he loves the club.
What do you mean by "he should have taken responsibility", isn't stepping down, admitting that you messed up and drawing a line under that fact taking "the L"/responsibility? He was with the club for 16 years, I think that merits a press conference at the end.
It's also not as easy as just saying "I'm back". He probably burned some bridges in his final months at Gladbach and more importantly his job has been filled with someone else, who implemented a new strategy in the mean time - Gladbach themselves probably wouldn't/shouldn't have any inclination to just sack Virkus and give the job back to someone, who got the club in deep trouble.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
But with the collective meltdown around the Rose news the situation was especially bad for them. Dortmund could sell Sancho for a decent fee, had a huge credit line and eventually issued some new shares to the tune of nearly €100m, Leipzig and Leverkusen just called up the marketing division of their parent company, Bayern is Bayern, everyone else got a bit fecked. He had a bunch of players he needed to sell, but at the same time they nuked their own value and every else's budgets got cut. If I remember correctly they actually were about to sell Thuram to Serie A, but then he tore something just before a transfer could happen. I think (arguably) in normal times they would have just been able to extend Ginter and sell Zakaria and maybe Plea/Thuram.

What do you mean by "he should have taken responsibility", isn't stepping down, admitting that you messed up and drawing a line under that fact taking "the L"/responsibility? He was with the club for 16 years, I think that merits a press conference at the end.
It's also not as easy as just saying "I'm back". He probably burned some bridges in his final months at Gladbach and more importantly his job has been filled with someone else, who implemented a new strategy in the mean time - Gladbach themselves probably wouldn't/shouldn't have any inclination to just sack Virkus and give the job back to someone, who got the club in deep trouble.
Funny that you mention Sancho but ignore Havertz - one could almost think you have an agenda ;)

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Funny that you mention Sancho but ignore Havertz - one could almost think you have an agenda ;)
A look at their spending pattern suggest they already spend the Havertz fee in advance and the point of plastic clubs having different financial security during such a crisis remains.

Blackwidow

Leverkusen or Regensburg playing again?
Will be pretty difficult for Leverkusen to win the Bundesliga if they are 9 points behind already on matchday 3...

3 behind against Hoffenheim at home and there is still some minutes until halftime. Oh, just 2 behind.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
This lead got to be one of the most undeserved ones in recent history. My god was this half shit.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I mean, I don’t REALLY think it is possible, but Leverkusen need to rebound fast. They are looking like a 2. Bundesliga side…
(What is Bayer‘s marketing budget for second division clubs?)

Last edited:

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
First time watching Dortmond this season. Good lord they look mediocre. Bremen should at the very least be level. Getting completely dominated in the midfield.

Hakara

Supports
Bayern München
Bremen deserves a goal by now. Dortmund barely hanging on.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
First time watching Dortmond this season. Good lord they look mediocre. Bremen should at the very least be level. Getting completely dominated in the midfield.
they might start the league with 9/9 points but the performances are shaky at best. While there are some positives, they have little quality on the ball. Their build up is tumescent and they don't create much against organized oppositions. They are good when things are chaotic, but otherwise this is extremely dull.

Hakara

Supports
Bayern München
Holy shit Bremen! Well deserved!

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
A look at their spending pattern suggest they already spend the Havertz fee in advance and the point of plastic clubs having different financial security during such a crisis remains.
That's a fascinating piece of opinion, mind explaining?

Reij

Supports
Bayern Munchen
Emre Can defending at the second goal of Bremen was pathetic. Wtf was that?! Pfft
As I was writing, Bremen scored one more, what a comeback!
On another note, what's going on with Leverkusen? They are playing like a relegation candidate. And they are out of the cup also to a 3rd tier team.

Reactions: Cheimoon

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
3 goals in 5 min. What a sucker punch for Dortmund.
On the other hand they were lucky against Leverkusen and Freiberg. Bremen actually fully deserved at least a point from this game, if not all three.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Football is bloody amazing.

I thought i have seen everything, what a win

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The Werder Fans were so extactic, I can't even be mad about the result. You have to respect such raw emotion.

Dortmund didn't play well in all thee games, 9 points wouldn't have been deserved anyway.

That's a fascinating piece of opinion, mind explaining?
Leverkusen very big net spend, Havertz transfer next Summer.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Dortmund 2-0, brings on Sülinho, Dortmund loses 2-3, Bayern masterclass :drool:

HerrLeinad

Supports
Bayern München
Just like I wrote before the season started, it is always the same pattern. Dortmund and Leverkusen get vastly overrated based on "potential" while at the same time being overly critical about our squad.
Süle also showing why our leadership wasn't convinced by him. The way he "defends" for the 2:3 is his casual attitude showing in a critical moment instead of being fully in the situation.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
conceding three goals on extra time when leading 2-0 at Home? How is that even possible?

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich

Translation:
“Since the 2012/13 season, Bayern have won 39 of their 44 games against promoted teams, including only two defeats. BVB won 27 of 45. The defeat against Bremen was the tenth against a promoted team in ten years.“

Blackwidow

conceding three goals on extra time when leading 2-0 at Home? How is that even possible?
Dortmund at home had 6 shots - Bremen 14...

BVB's two goals were somehow against the run of play with xG 0.02 and 0.03... - and Bremen had slightly more possession...

The Escher quote in my eyes is more telling than the typical "Bayern is stealing all of the good players of their rivals" or the money discussions...

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
And the seasons before that? :)
16/17: -€40m
17/18: +€40m
18/19: +€14m
19/20: -€65m
20/21:+€45m

Who knows, maybe Leverkusen just coincindentally had a spare €65m in 19/20.

Translation:
“Since the 2012/13 season, Bayern have won 39 of their 44 games against promoted teams, including only two defeats. BVB won 27 of 45. The defeat against Bremen was the tenth against a promoted team in ten years.“
Breaking news: vastly more expensive and better squad performs more consistenly.