German Football 22/23 | 2. Bundesliga returns | Hamburg vs Schalke 20:30 |

theballisround

Are you serious with this Thiago malarkey? He was never that critical for Bayern. I'd say Mueller getting a bit older is much more significant than the sale of Thiago fckn Alcantara
Didn't Thiago only play half of the games for Bayern?

Suedesi

Exactly - he was never that instrumental. fecking show pony. To any hipsters, he's shown his true colors at Liverpool - an aesthetically pleasing pass here and there but utterly absent when the going get tough and he needs to grab the game by the scruff of the neck.

Also, on Lewandowski, always felt he was a bit overrated and never showed up on big games. I can't remember him being really decisive on a tough match in Europe for Bayern - and has a tendency to hold on to the ball too much. I see the pattern repeating in Spain, uttrerly dominant against Getafe and Murcia but absent against Bayern, Inter, Man United, Real Madrid etc.

schwalbe

Supports
Fc Bayern München
I mean Sülinho Lewandowski leaving has to be a huge factor. No one can tell me that you can just replace a B d'Or contender with Choupo-Moting and not suffer for it.

Having a (young) Thiago wouldn't hurt, but I don't see a reason to boil this down to him. He was missing too often to ascribe such an importance to him.
For example in 19/20, the treble winning season, he missed 12 games. Bayern's record in those games: 12-0-0 36:7 goals.
When Heynckes took over for Ancelotti, they had a 15 game stretch of him missing. They went 14-0-1 - the one loss was inevitable destiny, also known as Gladbach.

I think on top of Lewandowski, Gegenpressing was huge strength of their in recent years, something which enabled them to just apply wave upon wave of pressure, until someone slipped up. Maybe they have lost a bit in that regard? Maybe it has something to do with Müller ageing and Goretzka catching a million injuries? I don't watch enough games to claim this with certainty though.
Was that when James played in CM and showed more in that short period than Thiago ever did in a Bayern dress?

Blackwidow

Was that when James played in CM and showed more in that short period than Thiago ever did in a Bayern dress?
He did not - James was just a more attacking player on the 8 position - but I liked James a lot there, too. But Thiago was great!

I think a lot of Bayern's problem has to do with the coaches they had in the last years. The last coach to really coach the full basics - was Guardiola. Positioning and making the right weighted passes.
Ancelotti did not care. Heynckes tried to save that season and still hat a team that mainly consisted of Pep's players - and it was just one and a half years later.
Kovac did not care either. Too much hero football.
Flick atleast put the Pep (and van Gaal and Heynckes players) into the axis and let them command the positioning. There was no time in that Covid time to really work on systems. Corona was an advantage because you could hear the commands between the players. But when players of that axis were not available or rested you really saw how much problems there were. Flick's football relied heavily on that correct positioning and pressing was the key to defend. It was highly dependend on that as there was not really a clean ball possession game.

Nagelsmann - I do not even know if he cares about ball possession and clean passing at all. He wanted to make everything vertical. A lot unnecessary ball losses. Just that this needs full power to win matches in the Bundesliga. Bayern in the league has 51 goals to 10 against in the first half of the matches - and 25 goals to 21 goals in the second half. Only once Bayern scored the winning goal in the second half - twice a match was equalized.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Also, on Lewandowski, always felt he was a bit overrated and never showed up on big games. I can't remember him being really decisive on a tough match in Europe for Bayern - and has a tendency to hold on to the ball too much.
You have a point here. On the other hand too many draws against relegation fodder and lower half teams (Stuttgart, Gladbach, Köln, Augsburg) are the reason the league is still wide open.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Tim Wiesse band from Werder after ties with right wing extremists come to light. Any German posters with more info on this? German right wing extremists or neonazi really blow my mind. I mean, they're always nutters, but as a German? A Nazi? Really?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Tim Wiesse band from Werder after ties with right wing extremists come to light. Any German posters with more info on this? German right wing extremists or neonazi really blow my mind. I mean, they're always nutters, but as a German? A Nazi? Really?
I took a glance at google, it seems like the reports are that something happened during Werder's match against Leverkusen, almost a month ago. But they don't specify what.

Politics aside, he always seemed like one of those players, who are so stupid that they are too big a ("brand") risk to associate yourself with as a club. Kind of like Großkreutz.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
At this rate, Mane will be our Hazard. Disastrous so far.

Aboutreika18

I took a glance at google, it seems like the reports are that something happened during Werder's match against Leverkusen, almost a month ago. But they don't specify what.

Politics aside, he always seemed like one of those players, who are so stupid that they are too big a ("brand") risk to associate yourself with as a club. Kind of like Großkreutz.
Ah, Tim Wiese. Apart from his failed attempt to become a WWE wrestler, I'll always remember him for dropping a simple cross at the feet of Emerson in 2006.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
He most likely met his nazi friends via his bodybuilding endeavours. Bremen tried multiple times to bring him to reason, but he refused. So I think it’s fair to say that Wiese is at least a nazi sympathiser. Maybe even worse. Among others, Wiese is friends with Stefan Ahrlich. Ahrlich is member of the right wing group Standarte Bremen. The name leaves absolutely no room for interpretation. The group used to call themselves Standarte 88.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
He most likely met his nazi friends via his bodybuilding endeavours. Bremen tried multiple times to bring him to reason, but he refused. So I think it’s fair to say that Wiese is at least a nazi sympathiser. Maybe even worse. Among others, Wiese is friends with Stefan Ahrlich. Ahrlich is member of the right wing group Standarte Bremen. The name leaves absolutely no room for interpretation. The group used to call themselves Standarte 88.
That people with an allegedly functioning brain can be a nazi sympathiser is really beyond my comprehension. Surely at some point you stop and realize, wait, why do I sympathise with nazies. They're fecking nazies!

Last edited:

HTG

Supports
Bayern
That people with an allegedly fu ctioning brain can be a nazi sympathiser is really beyond my comprehension. Surely at some point you stop and realize, wait, why do I sympathise with nazies. They're fecking nazies!
It’s what happens if the only muscle you don’t work out happens to be your brain.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Exactly - he was never that instrumental. fecking show pony. To any hipsters, he's shown his true colors at Liverpool - an aesthetically pleasing pass here and there but utterly absent when the going get tough and he needs to grab the game by the scruff of the neck.

This is exactly how I feel about Thiago time at Bayern. More finesse less substance
He played only 1 decent season for Bayern

Twisting and putting a spin in an uncontested 5yard pass to his midfield partner

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
This is exactly how I feel about Thiago time at Bayern. More finesse less substance

Twisting and putting a spin in an uncontested 5yard pass to his midfield partner

When people say stuff like that about Thiago I I automatically assume that they only look at the final pass when judging players.

Thiago was extremely valuable for Bayern when he wasn't injured. Unlocked defenses all the time with incisive passes, absorbing pressure, etc. And he was great against the ball, too. The only player in Bayern's midfield that can provide that nownisnl Kimmich but a) you ideally need two of those and b) when he's not in form, Bayern loses control completely.

Will never understand how somebody can prefer a player like Goretzka over a Thiago. A midfielder who is great for underdogs but not for favourites.

HTG

Supports
Bayern

You don’t deserve Thiago.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
When people say stuff like that about Thiago I I automatically assume that they only look at the final pass when judging players.

Thiago was extremely valuable for Bayern when he wasn't injured. Unlocked defenses all the time with incisive passes, absorbing pressure, etc. And he was great against the ball, too. The only player in Bayern's midfield that can provide that nownisnl Kimmich but a) you ideally need two of those and b) when he's not in form, Bayern loses control completely.

Will never understand how somebody can prefer a player like Goretzka over a Thiago. A midfielder who is great for underdogs but not for favourites.
I will take a Goretzka over Thiago. For many seasons Thiago couldn't even get a starting spot, it was later that he was played deeper. To avoid the constant pressing of the opponent DM while trying to figure how to finesse a pass.
Thiago looks good in a very dominant team where he is rarely put on defensive duties as his only option is to foul, when a team is less dominant Thiago falters. Which is what happened to his Liverpool career anytime the team struggles. Goretzka is less skilled but more physical more direct and can help defensively

Thiago never nailed a spot for Spain and was never a top player for Bayern for most of his stay

You don’t deserve Thiago.
Thiago doesn't deserve Bayern

arthurka

Probably because Freiburg didn't get a penalty (5 penalties against Bayern in their 4 last matches) and no Bayern player was sent off.
No probably more to do with no foul and no red card given when Höfler got studded in the groin by De Ligt but that's apparently business as usual.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I will take a Goretzka over Thiago. For many seasons Thiago couldn't even get a starting spot, it was later that he was played deeper. To avoid the constant pressing of the opponent DM while trying to figure how to finesse a pass.
Thiago looks good in a very dominant team where he is rarely put on defensive duties as his only option is to foul, when a team is less dominant Thiago falters. Which is what happened to his Liverpool career anytime the team struggles. Goretzka is less skilled but more physical more direct and can help defensively

Thiago never nailed a spot for Spain and was never a top player for Bayern for most of his stay

Thiago doesn't deserve Bayern
Injuries is what ruined Thiago at Liverpool. And he was still excellent for them when he was fully fit. Goretzka isn't in the same ballpark and it is beginning to sink in with lots of people now that Bayern isn't as successful any longer. A bit like Khedira.

What Thiago did at Bayern is just extremely underrated by a lot of people because they only value plays that lead to immediate goal threat. When a chance is created, some tend to have already forgotten what happened three to four touches before the final pass.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Injuries is what ruined Thiago at Liverpool. And he was still excellent for them when he was fully fit. Goretzka isn't in the same ballpark and it is beginning to sink in with lots of people now that Bayern isn't as successful any longer. A bit like Khedira.

What Thiago did at Bayern is just extremely underrated by a lot of people because they only value plays that lead to immediate goal threat. When a chance is created, some tend to have already forgotten what happened three to four touches before the final pass.
For what it is worth, I absolutely agree with you and would take a 25yo injury free Thiago over Goretzka all day every day.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich

Bayern isn't as successful because they lost great players like Boateng Muller Alaba Lahm Lewandowski Robben Ribery not Thiago

Instead of Upamecano Sane Gnabry Pavard Chupo

What did Thiago do at Bayern what exact seasons can we point to that he was top? He had a good 2020 season that was it.

Thiago at Liverpool recently has been worse than any form of Goretzka

Thiago can't even get into the Spanish team ahead of teenagers like Pedri and Gavi

He is more of the more flair less substance

Thiago best memory for me was when he followed Saul Niguez for over 20yards vs Atletico in the away game of 2016 without a tackle or disruption

This season CL till date is still 100% without Thiago sideways passes

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Bayern isn't as successful because they lost great players like Boateng Muller Alaba Lahm Lewandowski Robben Ribery not Thiago

What did Thiago do at Bayern what exact seasons can we point to that he was top? He had a good 2020 season that was it.

Thiago can't even get into the Spanish team ahead of teenagers like Pedri and Gavi

Thiago best memory for me was when he followed Saul Niguez for over 20yards vs Atletico in the away game of 2016 without a tackle or disruption

And you believe Goretzka would be picked over the teenagers Pedri and Gavi? ;) Plus the ignorance of Thiago for the Spanish national team at times was very hard to understand.

One way or another, Goretzka is just such an ineffectivenplayer. He of course is quite popular in Germany because he's strong and works hard and scores goals ocasionally but he probably has thrice as many turnovers of possession than Thiago, is so prone to pressing and lightyears behind him in ball progression. If you can afford such a player in midfield because you have Kimmich and Thiago besides him doing the important work, it's relatively fine but if not then you just surrender control to your opponent.

Same reasoning why Kroos is constantly underrated in Germany compared to the more spectacular Ballack. Give me control of verticality in CM every day.

Blackwidow

That was 2017/18...

https://miasanrot.com/stats-links-boateng-thiago-success/

Just as example...

But actually - I like my football more in control and play with the ball - and not against. That is why I think Thiago is a real asset!

Last edited:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
2017/18 that will be another season where Thiago played less than half of the minutes available. Just like he did for most of his time at Bayern
You've got to decide. Claiming Thiago was disappointing because he never played is different to claiming Thiago was disappointing even when he was fit.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
You've got to decide. Claiming Thiago was disappointing because he never played is different to claiming Thiago was disappointing even when he was fit.
It's both. When you are not available for over half the minutes every season but when available all he did was those 5 yard passes to Kimmich, when called to defend he only fouls

Sword of the morning

Supports
Bayern + Benfica

Oh no, a Thiago discussion in here while I was absent spending my time in Lisbon seeing Benfica (losing twice :rolleyes:).. Zehner is spot on here once again, but if you can't see the qualities Zehner listed and call someone who does "hipster".. I will leave it at that and won't get into it.

Especially as there is breaking news in the Bundesliga... FC Hollywood is back at its best!

Sadio Mane felt provoked by Sane during the game against City and punched him in the face in the dressing room, leaving a swollen and bloody lip in Sane's face.

Additionally, it is reported that Team Manager Marco Neppe will no longer sit on the bench during the matches. Which is quite surprising, cause it was publicly announced in the summer that he will replace Salihamidzic's on the bench.

In the case of Mané I am not sure what will happen now.. First of all, his football IQ and his decision making on the pitch are really disastrous, he doesn't fit in at all sporting wise. Sky Germany says most player were shocked by the punching incident and that Mane is seen critically within the team, which isn't surprising in my opinion. So, the punching incident could be the end of his time at Bayern. On the other hand - Mane is the top earner in Munich an the market for him in the summer will be quite narrow I guess.
But I think he will most likely leave in the summer, maybe on a loan deal.

Neppe could be the first "victim" of Tuchel, who maybe doesn't like somebody next to him on the bench who is constantly talking to the fourth referee and the players on the bench.

The next weeks will be pretty exciting in Munich I guess...

On Saturday they play Hoffenheim in the Allianz Arena while Dortmund faces VFB Stuttgart away.
I see Bayern grinding out an easy win, although Hoffenheim seems to have turned things around a bit, showing some decent performances in the last two weeks.

In Stuttgart I think the VFB maybe can get away with a draw against the BVB.

Last edited:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Oh no, a Thiago discussion in here while I was absent spending my time in Lisbon seeing Benfica (losing twice :rolleyes:).. Zehner is spot on here once again, but if you can't see the qualities Zehner listed and call someone who does "hipster".. I will leave it at that and won't get into it.

Especially as there is breaking news in the Bundesliga... FC Hollywood is back at its best!

Sadio Mane felt provoked by Sane during the game against City and punched him in the face in the dressing room, leaving a swollen and bloody lip in Sane's face.

Additionally, it is reported that Team Manager Marco Neppe will no longer sit on the bench during the matches. Which is quite surprising, cause it was publicly announced in the summer that he will replace Salihamidzic's on the bench.

In the case of Mané I am not sure what will happen now.. First of all, his football IQ and his decision making on the pitch are really disastrous, he doesn't fit in at all sporting wise. Sky Germany says most player were shocked by the punching incident and that Mane is seen critically within the team, which isn't surprising in my opinion. So, the punching incident could be the end of his time at Bayern. On the other hand - Mane is the top earner in Munich an the market for him in the summer will be quite narrow I guess.
But I think he will most likely leave in the summer, maybe on a loan deal.

Neppe could be the first "victim" of Tuchel, who maybe doesn't like somebody next to him on the bench who is constantly talking to the fourth referee and the players on the bench.

The next weeks will be pretty exciting in Munich I guess...

On Saturday they play Hoffenheim in the Allianz Arena while Dortmund faces VFB Stuttgart away.
I see Bayern grinding out an easy win, although Hoffenheim seems to have turned things around a bit, showing some decent performances in the last two weeks.

In Stuttgart I think the VFB maybe can get away with a draw against the BVB.
Dortmund have some injury problems in defense, with Schlotterbeck and Süle injured. They still have to beat Stuttgart, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't either.

I think the point regarding Thiago isn't whether he was a quality player or that Bayern could use a player like him this season, but how central he was to Bayern's success. Bayern won plenty of games when he was injured and they won plenty after he left. So it doesn't seem particularly logical to me to bring him up now, when it seems much clearer that Lewandowski/Neuer being absent must have its effect.

Blackwidow

I think the point regarding Thiago isn't whether he was a quality player or that Bayern could use a player like him this season, but how central he was to Bayern's success. Bayern won plenty of games when he was injured and they won plenty after he left. So it doesn't seem particularly logical to me to bring him up now, when it seems much clearer that Lewandowski/Neuer being absent must have its effect.
We do not have equal covers in quality for Lewy or Neuer - so yes, that for sure is not helping.

But with Alaba and Boateng from the back - and Thiago - we really are depending on Kimmich for the buildup and the opponents still try to take him out of the match. Goretzka is not the kind of player that really can help with that.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Suddenly Malen is in stellar form. 4 goals and 3 assists in his last 4 games and this one isn't even over yet. There must be a Mane joke in this, but I can't find it.

Pretty wild stuff from Mavropanos, getting himself sent off to stop a counter, when they were already down two goals.

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Suddenly Malen is in stellar form. 4 goals and 3 assists in his last 4 games and this one isn't even over yet. There must be a Mane joke in this, but I can't find it.
And just got Mavropanos sent off. Though in all honesty I feel like in this match we do have some ref decisions going our way, I could understand Stuttgart supporters being slightly annoyed.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
And just got Mavropanos sent off. Though in all honesty I feel like in this match we do have some ref decisions going our way, I could understand Stuttgart supporters being slightly annoyed.
Haller really should have gotten a yellow card, but so should the guy, who fouled Can, so I'd chalk that off as Harm Osmers being the league's worst ref opting for a generous line.

Both yellow cards for Mavropanos were tactical fouls, trying to stop someone from breezing past him on a counter, the second one was even more inevitable, since he didn't just pull the shirt, but also kicked his opponent for good measure.

There was a possible penalty, I'll have to watch that again, because I missed the replays, but was there much aside from that?

edit:
Seeing the foul again, I think you could argue for a red card for Guirassy against Can - though I guess no ref is going to send off a player in the first minute.

A penalty was possible, but not a 100% clear.

Last edited: