German Football 23/24 |

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I stand by my point, that is a yellow.
I agree, he didn't hit him with the studs but the outside of the foot. Was very surprised Sabitzer thought it was a red as well and think that might have influenced the referee decision/possible VAR intervention. It's very nice to see a pro displaying self-reflection but maybe he maybe even took it a bit too far in this case. In my opinion the VAR should have insisted on a review of the situation.

ForEverEleven

Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
10 point gap restored in a very boring game, Im starting to believe.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
10 point gap restored in a very boring game, Im starting to believe.
Overall very boring in regard to the table. Top 6 did all win, bottom 8 could the grand total of two points (because Gladbach and Köln played each other and drew). Only movement in the relatively uninteresting mid table areas.

Blackwidow

German Cup...

After throwing out 2nd league Karlsruhe, Bayern and Frankfurt... 3rd league Saarbrücken (ranked 9th there) throws out Mönchengladbach and is in the semi final of the German Cup

Leverkusen is the only team left from 1st Bundesliga - 2 from 2nd league and Saarbrücken...

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
We are one freak result away from seeing a lower league team in the Europa League... if Leverkusen mess this up, they will be rightfully ridiculed forever and Xabi should just end his manager career, no need to try anymore :D

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Looks pretty random. Nominating every remotely promising newcomer he could find, hoping a few of them will make it.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Little bit late for this. Isn't it?
Nagelsmann recently sounded a bit like he is ready to say "feck that shit" to everything that was used during the last years in the national team - tactics, players, everything. Will be challenging for him to build a real team before the Euro, but probably is the only way to go forward after that series of failures with the established players.

G3079

Supports
Nobody in particular
Holy crap our new NT jerseys are horrible
The home kit is alright, imho. I actually like how the black on the shoulders bleeds over into red and then gold and then fans out on the arms, but I think it'd have looked better with a seamless gradient fade rather than the diamonds. The font looks alright, the numbers are still a bit weird but I think I could grow to like those, too. Maybe overall a bit unspectacular, but completely fine in my book.

The away kit is atrocious though. Why the hell is it pink and purple? Looks awful. I'm not a traditionalist that demands we stick with green only, I actually liked some of the black ones, too (2000 and 2010) or the red-and-black of our last 2022 version. But those are just two awful colours which have no link to the national team either.

The GK kit is kinda... meh? Like, I've seen way, way worse - GKs seem to get shafted with awful trikots on the regular - but also not great?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Little bit late for this. Isn't it?
So close to the tournament it looks like a sign of pure desperation, though of course Nagelsmann isn't necessarily to blame for this, since he only got the job very late in the cycle.

Hoping we cap Pavlovic
I don't know for certain, but I doubt playing in friendlies would exclude him from representing Serbia in the future. Just today Mahmoud Dahoud announced he'd represent Syria in the future, despite already playing two games for Germany.

Holy crap our new NT jerseys are horrible
I usually like it when they put some flag colored elements on the jersey, but this layout isn't really doing it for me.

The away kit reminds me of a Rasenballsport Leipzig away kit, probably with the same intentions... Or Schalke's "ultrabeauty" jersey.. They have five traditional colors to work with, plenty of room to give things a new spin. Going for pink and purple seems cheap.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Nagelsmann recently sounded a bit like he is ready to say "feck that shit" to everything that was used during the last years in the national team - tactics, players, everything. Will be challenging for him to build a real team before the Euro, but probably is the only way to go forward after that series of failures with the established players.
Yeah, feck the past, let's re-activate Kroos, and be stuck with him and Gündogan in our center. I pity the poor sod who's destined to do all the running.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
So close to the tournament it looks like a sign of pure desperation, though of course Nagelsmann isn't necessarily to blame for this, since he only got the job very late in the cycle.
Calling up 5 players who never have been nominated a few months before the tournament is asking for disaster.
The Stuttgart players have no international experience, never kicked a ball with the established players.
Looks to me like big f**k you all, I'm gonna gung-ho. Can't see this ending well

Jaap

Calling up 5 players who never have been nominated a few months before the tournament is asking for disaster.
The Stuttgart players have no international experience, never kicked a ball with the established players.
Looks to me like big f**k you all, I'm gonna gung-ho. Can't see this ending well
I think it’s a good mix between young & experienced individuals. If you’re good enough, you‘ll settle in quickly.

I would have liked to have seen Hummels, mind.

Neuer
Kimmich Rüdiger Tah Mittelstädt
Kroos Andrich
Musiala Gündogan Wirtz
Füllkrug/Havertz/Undav

Can see JN line up like above.

EDIT; digging the home shirt, promo is superb:
https://x.com/imiasanmia_en/status/1768240453378322657?s=46

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I think it’s a good mix between young & experienced individuals. If you’re good enough, you‘ll settle in quickly.

I would have liked to have seen Hummels, mind.

Neuer
Kimmich Rüdiger Tah Mittelstädt
Kroos Andrich
Musiala Gündogan Wirtz
Füllkrug/Havertz/Undav

Can see JN line up like above.

EDIT; digging the home shirt, promo is superb:
https://x.com/imiasanmia_en/status/1768240453378322657?s=46
This has the same issue as any German team in the last couple of years: very little width, no runners and Kroos in midfield. With Kimmich, Musiala and Wirtz in wide roles you'd even exacerbate the problem.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
This has the same issue as any German team in the last couple of years: very little width, no runners and Kroos in midfield. With Kimmich, Musiala and Wirtz in wide roles you'd even exacerbate the problem.
Wirtz, Mittelstädt, Havertz, Gündogan and Undav make many runs for their respective positions, IMO

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Wirtz, Mittelstädt, Havertz, Gündogan and Undav make many runs for their respective positions, IMO
When I say "runner" I'm referring to players who run faster than their opponents.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
When I say "runner" I'm referring to players who run faster than their opponents.
Havertz and Wirtz are fast. Anyway, the point was that you would have more than enough movement thanks to the runs these guys make. It's not as if they're all drawn to the ball and always want it into their feet, not into the space.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I just turned on Sky's Saturday show and I already regret it. Who cares about any of these fixtures, they are all meaningless. They only interesting game is Mainz vs Bochum and that's 100% due to the table.

Havertz and Wirtz are fast. Anyway, the point was that you would have more than enough movement thanks to the runs these guys make. It's not as if they're all drawn to the ball and always want it into their feet, not into the space.
I'm talking about the kind of quickness that makes defenses think twice of playing a high line and that can leverage even little gaps into a dynamic situation. If you play 15 C(A)Ms and no runners, all the opponent has to do is stuff people in the center and there won't be any space to succeed by player like Wirtz or Havertz just making clever runs (into space [that doesn't exist]).

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I just turned on Sky's Saturday show and I already regret it. Who cares about any of these fixtures, they are all meaningless. They only interesting game is Mainz vs Bochum and that's 100% due to the table.

I'm talking about the kind of quickness that makes defenses think twice of playing a high line and that can leverage even little gaps into a dynamic situation. If you play 15 C(A)Ms and no runners, all the opponent has to do is stuff people in the center and there won't be any space to succeed by player like Wirtz or Havertz just making clever runs (into space [that doesn't exist]).
I see. The problem isn't really the 15 C(A)Ms, IMO, but rwther that we don't really have quick wide players, ideally wing backs. Sané is playing like a CAM these days as well but we could at least slot him in an attacking minded LWB position.with Kimmich playing on the other flank, sort of the Frimpong/Grimaldo combination. It's a shame that Adeyemi is having such an unlucky season, in the form of a year ago he could have been a great addition.

backpass

It will be the slowest starting eleven of all time. Someone close up the middle and the game is over. Like it was the last 5 years, just multiplied.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
So they let that red card against Wolfsburg stand? Looked pretty scandalous to me. And then Augsburg even scored from the free kick. How very sad for poor Wolfsburg.
Mainz' penalty looked pretty dodgy from the angle Sky gave, too.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
I see. The problem isn't really the 15 C(A)Ms, IMO, but rwther that we don't really have quick wide players, ideally wing backs. Sané is playing like a CAM these days as well but we could at least slot him in an attacking minded LWB position.with Kimmich playing on the other flank, sort of the Frimpong/Grimaldo combination. It's a shame that Adeyemi is having such an unlucky season, in the form of a year ago he could have been a great addition.
Gnabry Sane Werner Adeyemi have the next 2months to get into form

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
The Bayern game against intestine city should have ended around 4-6. A more competent attack might have embarrassed us.

Fallon d'Floor

The Bayern game against intestine city should have ended around 4-6. A more competent attack might have embarrassed us.
Not signing a DM (Palhinha) was a bad decision by the board/recruitment team.

Kimmich has had to move to RB in order to keep him in the team. Good decision. The Goretzka and Kimmich double pivot doesn't work in 2024.

Dropping Kim for Dier seems a bit crazy.

Your attack is so good, that you'll outscore most Bundesliga teams. 10 big chances today. Darmstadt had 3.

twitter thread suggester
He’s ridiculous. Really hope there is nothing in the rumors linking Liverpool with him.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
His dribbling ability is jaw dropping, don't think there are many better than him in the world right now.

Still other areas of his game he can improve on especially since he plays as a central midfielder most of the time, but the talent he has is fantastic.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
His dribbling ability is jaw dropping, don't think there are many better than him in the world right now.

Still other areas of his game he can improve on especially since he plays as a central midfielder most of the time, but the talent he has is fantastic.
I agree but his decision making and passing already improved a lot in recent weeks. The assist for Gnabry today was great.

Musiala and Wirtz really have the potential to be the best german players for the next 10 years.
Im still curious to see how Nagelsmann will use them in the german NT.
Imo it would be best in 3-4-2-1 Leverkusen like system with both of them playing on the "10s".
But according to reports Gündogan is planned on the 10 in front of Kroos + Andrich/Groß.
That would only leave the winger positions for Musiala and Wirtz.
And while they both can play on the left wing they are certainly no real wingers that only stick to their side.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I agree but his decision making and passing already improved a lot in recent weeks. The assist for Gnabry today was great.

Musiala and Wirtz really have the potential to be the best german players for the next 10 years.
Im still curious to see how Nagelsmann will use them in the german NT.
Imo it would be best in 3-4-2-1 Leverkusen like system with both of them playing on the "10s".
But according to reports Gündogan is planned on the 10 in front of Kroos + Andrich/Groß.
That would only leave the winger positions for Musiala and Wirtz.
And while they both can play on the left wing they are certainly no real wingers that only stick to their side.
I think Musiala would be great as a LW, I've always likened him more with Ribery than a conventional playmaker.

Defending counter attacks has been Germany's biggest weakness since 2018, more specially since the fall of the Kroos-Khedira-Schweinsteiger midfield, so going with Andrich-Kroos-Gundo would help in that regard but would be limited in creativity in attack.

With the players we have at our disposal, and their best systems to play in, it makes most sense to play a 3 at the back formation since Tah and Rudiger play best in that. Then Musiala and Wirtz can play together without compromising defensive solidarity.

RedStarUnited

If Musiala played for a big team in La Liga or PL, his stock would be a lot higher than it is. He is just as talented as Bellingham maybe even better stylistically, but doesn’t have have the clout Jude has since moving to Madrid.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
He’s ridiculous. Really hope there is nothing in the rumors linking Liverpool with him.
Im not afraid he would leave us for Liverpool. I think he could only be tempted by Real (especially it they get his best buddy Davies this summer) and City+Pep.

But i dont know how Real could fit Vini Jr., Mbappe, Bellingham and Musiala in one team without turning into the Galacticos 2.0.

Wirtz is also probably the even better City+Pep player.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
What the heck is going on in the 2nd division. 3:2 and 4:0 score lines after 40 minutes... :drool:

Suddenly Schalke are deep into relegation worries again, with three teams behind them pulling off wins.

And Karlsruhe (huge club) can now claim to have the best attack, probably not something people were expecting to see.

Last edited: