g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

German Football 23/24 |

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Well, well, well.. what an interesting second round it has been.

Was Kane injured? Or did Tuchel decide to rest him? Couldn't really blame him for it, if he did, but the press will do so anyway.
He said Kane had harmstring issues after the last game.
But what a shit game. 75% posession and 18:4 shots but barely any 100% clear chances.

Congrats to Saarbrücken.
At least we will have fewer english weeks now.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Bayern really lost their grip on this trophy. Since their winless streak (1987 to 1997) ended there never have been more than two seasons in a row without Bayern winning the cup. Now we are in the fourth (3x second round, 1x quarter final exit). That's truly abysmal for this club but quite enjoyable for German football as it ensures that there is a real title to play for in a quite open tournament.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
He said Kane had harmstring issues after the last game.
But what a shit game. 75% posession and 18:4 shots but barely any 100% clear chances.

Congrats to Saarbrücken.
At least we will have fewer english weeks now.
The weird thing is that Saarbrücken seemed totally spent not too long after the break, but to their credit they still managed to counter attack with numbers every now and then. There was even that one moment where Kim barely managed to stop a free run on Neuer a couple of minutes before the end.

I guess it reminds us that you still need that bit of luck if the opponent is just stubbornly throwing everyone in front of their box.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
The weird thing is that Saarbrücken seemed totally spent not too long after the break, but to their credit they still managed to counter attack with numbers every now and then. There was even that one moment where Kim barely managed to stop a free run on Neuer a couple of minutes before the end.

I guess it reminds us that you still need that bit of luck if the opponent is just stubbornly throwing everyone in front of their box.
Yeah some of their players were completely done since the 70th minute.
But they defended well and took their only real chance in the 2nd half, so they deserved to win.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I am, I am absolutely delighted :lol:

And I will cherish this feeling until we inevitably get thrashed on saturday :drool:
How will Bayern line up anyway? As it seems they only have one CB, no RB and two CMs if you count Krätzig? Will Kane be fit again until Saturday?

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
How will Bayern line up anyway? As it seems they only have one CB, no RB and two CMs if you count Krätzig? Will Kane be fit again until Saturday?
I think Kane will be fit yeah. Goretzka hopefully also. If not we are fecked

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
This is just mad:

To borrow the words of the mastermind himself:

When was the last time the cup was so wide open? We could easily see a 2nd division team in the final again.

These are Mainz's results:

I think we can discount the first game (I mean what club would lose their first cup round in Elversberg, that would never happen to a Bundesliga club), so it's basically three draws from 10 games, including losing 0:3 against a 2nd division team. Streich and Schmidt aside Mainz and Union probably had the safest seats by far this season, it's incredible how far the results of those two are stretching that patience.

Last edited:

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
I think Kane will be fit yeah. Goretzka hopefully also. If not we are fecked
I was really hoping for Goretzka and Mazraoui to be back, so that we don't have to start that headless chicken Laimer again. Sigh...

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
So worst case scenario, not a single one of the missing players gets fit. Choupo as striker, Krätzig and Musiala in midfield, Sarr as RB and Laimer as CB?

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
The squad is much too thin and everybody side of the board knows it.
Players are rushed back after injuries and sickness is never a good sign.
They really messed up the transfer window.
Stanisic, Cancelo, Hernandez, Pavard, Blind, Sabitzer, Gravenberch out and in came only Kim, Laimer, Guerreiro (who is always injured anyway). No idea what they were thinking.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
This would never have happened under Brazzo. It's time to bring him back, maybe Kahn too.

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
I think we can discount the first game (I mean what club would lose their first cup round in Elversberg, that would never happen to a Bundesliga club), so it's basically three draws from 10 games, including losing 0:3 against a 2nd division team. Streich and Schmidt aside Mainz and Union probably had the safest seats by far this season, it's incredible how far the results of those two are stretching that patience.
Mainz's performance yesterday was shocking and another reminder how much of an impact negative momentum can have. It was easy to see just how much more confident Hertha's offensive players were after scoring 22 goals in their last 8 matches.
Union's fall from grace feels much more dramatic to me though, especially considering that they were leading the Bundesliga after 2 match days. I don't recall ever seeing such a stable club go on an 11-game losing streak out of nowhere. I have a hard time believing Urs Fischer would survive another home loss against Frankfurt, with all those tough matchups coming after that: Napoli (a), Leverkusen (a), Augsburg (h), Braga (a), Bayern (a). They need to regain their home form quickly, that's what always kept them from harm in the past.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
So worst case scenario, not a single one of the missing players gets fit. Choupo as striker, Krätzig and Musiala in midfield, Sarr as RB and Laimer as CB?
Probably Laimer in midfield and Kimmich as "CB", but yes. :lol:

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Probably Laimer in midfield and Kimmich as "CB", but yes. :lol:
Isn't Kimmich suspended anyway?
The squad looks shockingly thin for the match against Dortmund.
Guerreiro, de Ligt, Goretzka, Upamecano, Mazraoui, Kane, Kimmich injured, not really fit or suspended.

Only hope I have is Dortmund will do their usual bottle job in important games.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Isn't Kimmich suspended anyway?
The squad looks shockingly thin for the match against Dortmund.
Guerreiro, de Ligt, Goretzka, Upamecano, Mazraoui, Kane, Kimmich injured, not really fit or suspended.

Only hope I have is Dortmund will do their usual bottle job in important games.
Forgot about that. Even "better"

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Mainz's performance yesterday was shocking and another reminder how much of an impact negative momentum can have. It was easy to see just how much more confident Hertha's offensive players were after scoring 22 goals in their last 8 matches.
Union's fall from grace feels much more dramatic to me though, especially considering that they were leading the Bundesliga after 2 match days. I don't recall ever seeing such a stable club go on an 11-game losing streak out of nowhere. I have a hard time believing Urs Fischer would survive another home loss against Frankfurt, with all those tough matchups coming after that: Napoli (a), Leverkusen (a), Augsburg (h), Braga (a), Bayern (a). They need to regain their home form quickly, that's what always kept them from harm in the past.
For Union the obvious question would be to ask how much of their perceived stability was actually xG overperformance. There's also the CL as a distraction/extra burden and they maybe altered their team climate, when they went for "big name" players, like Bonucci, Gosens and Volland.
So there's plenty of points to start the search for explanations.

Sometimes that sense of stability also seems to lull clubs into thinking they aren't really as bad as the table suggests, just an unfortunate run of form/results that will surely correct itself if they just keep going. Until they admit it's not, but by that time the team is already crumbling. Stöger's end in Köln comes to mind, maybe Bremen's latest relegation, too.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
According to Hoeneß, the "squad is not lacking depth" and according to Hainer, it is up to Tuchel to find "creative solutions", so i imagine something like

Neuer - - Sarr, Kane, Kim, Davies - - Hoeneß, Laimer - - Müller - - Coman, Musiala, Sane - - Hainer

saylon

Supports
Bayern Munich
According to Hoeneß, the "squad is not lacking depth" and according to Hainer, it is up to Tuchel to find "creative solutions", so i imagine something like

Neuer - - Sarr, Kane, Kim, Davies - - Hoeneß, Laimer - - Müller - - Coman, Musiala, Sane - - Hainer
While I totally agree on your point, I doubt that the DFL will agreed to count Hoeneß and Hainer as a single player in regard of fielding 11 players.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München

:lol:

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
While I totally agree on your point, I doubt that the DFL will agreed to count Hoeneß and Hainer as a single player in regard of fielding 11 players.
Maybe they will be content with Kane dropping deep from CB into the stands?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
You guys are so dramatic.. in the end Mazraoui and Upamecano will return and then it's going to be a farily normal looking lineup.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
You guys are so dramatic.. in the end Mazraoui and Upamecano will return and then it's going to be a farily normal looking lineup.
Might well be but they are rushed back into the team much like de Ligt. The result her got the same injury again, only worse. De Ligt would never have played, if Bayern's squad still had the depth of last year.

And even if they manage to bring these players back in time, they aren't match fit, especially not for 90 min in Dortmund. Tuchel won't be able to bring adequate replacements from the bench. The board messed up the transfer window big time.

If Dortmund doesn't win this match, they probably never will.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I guess Union are at a point where they have to either sack Fischer or go with him all the way, even if it may mean relegation.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Marmoush is tearing up this league.
Frankfurt generally found their scoring boots after a very slow start to the league. By now you can really see this is Toppmöller's team and what he wants to do.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Big game for Tuchel tonight. If Bayern win it, he can collect praise for working through the mess that others have put him in. If he loses, maybe even if he draws, we'll be just two semi-competent reporter questions away from an epic meltdown, that may even make sure he won't survive the season.

edit: assuming Leverkusen don't let this slip

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Big game for Tuchel tonight. If Bayern win it, he can collect praise for working through the mess that others have put him in. If he loses, maybe even if he draws, we'll be just two semi-competent reporter questions away from an epic meltdown, that may even make sure he won't survive the season.

edit: assuming Leverkusen don't let this slip
By the rate this Hamann-Tuchel banter has developed in recent weeks i expect some swinging fists until the end of the season.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
By the rate this Hamann-Tuchel banter has developed in recent weeks i expect some swinging fists until the end of the season.
Just to clarify, Leverkusen were 2 goals up when I posted this. :lol:

Witness Hradecky in his full glory: :drool:

What I meant wasn't necessarily a fist fight with Hamann (though I wouldn't mind that either), but rather Tuchel making some sulky comments about his bosses.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
What I meant wasn't necessarily a fist fight with Hamann (though I wouldn't mind that either), but rather Tuchel making some sulky comments about his bosses.
Wouldn't be surprised if Tuchel would do that in response to something Hamann says

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Neuer © - Mazraoui, Upamecano, Kim, Davies - Goretzka, Laimer - Coman, Musiala, Sané - Kane

So apparently Upamecano, Goretzka and Mazraoui all got "fit" in time. Lets hope it wont backfire like with de Ligt.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Neuer © - Mazraoui, Upamecano, Kim, Davies - Goretzka, Laimer - Coman, Musiala, Sané - Kane

So apparently Upamecano, Goretzka and Mazraoui all got "fit" in time. Lets hope it wont backfire like with de Ligt.
Goretzka isn't a risk but Upamecano can backfire. Especially if he had to play 90 minutes.
The bench looks awfully thin.

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I hate these matches where Bayern seem slightly weakened and everyone says "if Dortmund don't beat them now, they never will". They are right of course, but to me it feels like these are the games where we get humiliated the hardest, losing to Bayern when they are shit. Not looking forward to this at all. :(

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Equally delighted for both Mainz and Leipzig about that result :drool:

Leipzig seem to be slipping into a proper small crisis.